PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto - Is There A Hibs Link?

Paperboy
09-09-2013, 07:45 PM
With the release of the new Grand Theft Auto, I'm sure I heard theres references to Hibs/Leith in the previous games. I know that Rock Star North have an office at the Omni Centre so I was wondering if there was any truth in it? Wasn't there a band in one of the games called Leith Lyncs?

I also thought there must be some Hibees involved - thats why the good gang in San Andreas wore green!

NOLA
09-09-2013, 07:48 PM
With the release of the new Grand Theft Auto, I'm sure I heard theres references to Hibs/Leith in the previous games. I know that Rock Star North have an office at the Omni Centre so I was wondering if there was any truth in it? Wasn't there a band in one of the games called Leith Lyncs?

I also thought there must be some Hibees involved - thats why the good gang in San Andreas wore green!
leaf links golf club :agree:

woodythehibee
09-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Think there was a Juniper Yellow instead of Juniper Green too,

portyhibernian
09-09-2013, 07:55 PM
the two bad guys in gta 4 were name Vlad and Roman. Coincidence?

erin-go-bragh87
09-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Grove Street was the main place in San Andreas so there's definitely plenty of Edinburgh links.

TRC
09-09-2013, 08:00 PM
used to rent a flat off one of the head guys of the company I asked him about the Vlad thing in gta4 and he said that it wasn't. also quite a few used to come into my old work and most aren't from edinburgh. so I doubt there is any hibs connection however the places have names and designs simaler to place in edinburgh and around

sadtom
09-09-2013, 08:08 PM
In San Andreas the good guys are in green. The other gangs in purple(ish), orange and blue. Make of that what you will.
Also there is Gay Gordans hairdresser, the parachute is tartan, 1 of the horses in the bookies is called Falkirk boy. For a more general scottish theme.

yekimevol
09-09-2013, 08:19 PM
outside one of the stadiums there was a billboard of a green team winning the cup.

Pretty Boy
09-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Sure it was San Andreas that had 2 bridges that were identical to the Forth Bridge and Road Bridge.

Also well known stockmarket name of Bawsaq is commonly used in the games.

Obviously not Hibs but definite Scottish links.

hibeedonald
09-09-2013, 08:21 PM
outside one of the stadiums there was a billboard of a green team winning the cup.

No Hibs link then!

Greendub
09-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Sure it was San Andreas that had 2 bridges that were identical to the Forth Bridge and Road Bridge.

Also well known stockmarket name of Bawsaq is commonly used in the games.

Obviously not Hibs but definite Scottish links.

True, also the golf course in vice city was called leaf links.

edit: NOLA beat me to it

LongshanksED
09-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Loads of edinburgh references through out the entire franchise

Leaf links golf course in vice city.
The bridges in San Andreas was copies of the 2 forth bridges
Edinburgh whisky that looks like Jack Daniels

Areas like Calton Heights, "Ganton" in Los santos, the Easter area in San Fierro, willowfield, blackfield

I've got all the games in my attic and the maps that come with the game for them are pretty indepth and have loads of edinburgh similarities

Spudster
09-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I know a guy who works for Rockstar and I forwarded him a thread from here before that was about the GTA Hibs connection. He said they found it hilarious and was nothing but pure coincidence.

J-C
09-09-2013, 09:20 PM
The main guys at Rockstar are big Hibbies, they always have something bout Hibs in the game, thinks they had a character called Romanov as the main villain :greengrin

Steven_Hibs
10-09-2013, 09:39 AM
I remember reading years ago, that a mission involving blowing up a team bus in Maroon was scraped :greengrin

Paperboy
10-09-2013, 11:43 AM
also notived the new game has a nice green 'V' for five in all the posters. Can't help but think of the famous five!

Sergy Pie
10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Not sure about the Hibs connection but Rockstar had offices at Leith Links IIRC, just yards from the opening to Salamander Street.

blairwallace
10-09-2013, 11:52 AM
thread hijack here but I'm pi$**ng my pants for this game coming out, anyone know of Game at the gyle or anywhere is doing a midnight launch?

hfc rd
10-09-2013, 11:53 AM
thread hijack here but I'm pi$**ng my pants for this game coming out, anyone know of Game at the gyle or anywhere is doing a midnight launch?

St James Centre Game are doing one I. I pre-ordered mines from there last month and they told me that some guys from Rockstar are going to be there as well.

Pretty Boy
10-09-2013, 11:56 AM

One of the big Tescos is doing a midnight launch and are having their cafe set up for people to play the game from 9.30 onwards whilst queuing.

Peevemor
10-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm sure I read a while back that one of the main designers is an Edinburgh man - don't know if he's a hibee though.

McPhisto2
10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Hopefully taking next week off to play this thing to death (I do have other things on that week, like an audition for The Chase LMAO!!) so would be very interested to hear
of any midnight openings. Did Rockstar not have a massive advertising poster up somewhere in Edinburgh for the last one?

brog
10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
The main guys at Rockstar are big Hibbies, they always have something bout Hibs in the game, thinks they had a character called Romanov as the main villain :greengrin

Correct! My niece worked there for quite a while.

SaulGoodman
10-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Pretty sure all GAME stores will do a Midnight Opening, it's a pretty common occurrence now after MW2( what a disappointment that was)

phantomscotsman
10-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Pretty sure all GAME stores will do a Midnight Opening, it's a pretty common occurrence now after MW2( what a disappointment that was)

I heard Game at the fort is being taken over by rockstar and Gta V themed for the midnight release

southfieldhibby
10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I have no interest in computer games, but something tells me the guys who own rockstar are big Dundee united fans?

paul_hfc3
10-09-2013, 02:32 PM
the two bad guys in gta 4 were name Vlad and Roman. Coincidence?

Definite coincidence.

Leaf Links in GTA Vice City has to be the only one reference involving Leith.

SaulGoodman
10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Definite coincidence.

What about all the prostitutes that walk about when it gets dark?

Definite link? :greengrin

SaulGoodman
10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
I heard Game at the fort is being taken over by rockstar and Gta V themed for the midnight release

Sad as it sounds, I'm going. So I guess I'll find out!

cam75
10-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Definite coincidence.

Sure the night club,was named after pub in iona street!

connerg
10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Watched GTA,5 trailer today and noticed someone with 07 on the back of his t-shirt. Saw a house number i thought was interesting too, 7611.

patch1875
10-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Seen a trailer also I'm sure one of the characters was based on hurtado :agree:

greenlex
10-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Watched GTA,5 trailer today and noticed someone with 07 on the back of his t-shirt. Saw a house number i thought was interesting too, 7611.
Just saw it. I'm sure one of he dudes had a green shirt with white sleeves and what fleetingly looked like the Whyte and McKay red logo thing on he front?
edit- just saw it again and paused it. Green top with white sleeves but the logo ain't white & McKay.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Seen a trailer also I'm sure one of the characters was based on hurtado :agree:
makes sense - Hurtado is Spanish for Stolen

soupy
11-09-2013, 06:24 AM
I have no interest in computer games, but something tells me the guys who own rockstar are big Dundee united fans?

As far as I know the two boys at the top at Rockstar are from Dundee, so this could be true....

lyonhibs
11-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I think the strongest link between GTA and Hibs are the nocturnal activities of our erstwhile CF Garry Jonhstno......... O'Connor

neilmartinrocks
11-09-2013, 02:05 PM
As far as I know the two boys at the top at Rockstar are from Dundee, so this could be true....

Used to play these games on xbox and im sure in one if you took the helicopter around the harbour there was a big bill board with some thing about Dundee having a big boat. just had a look "discover Dundee we have a boat"

sadtom
11-09-2013, 02:40 PM

IIRC Rockstar was started in Dundee and the very first 2D GTA was developed and released there.
I'm pretty sure they sold the company soon after and it was then moved to Leith and really took off after that, so i dont think the Dundee gadgie(s) are still involved (i may be wrong).
I know a couple of folk who have worked there, one a map designer and have been told that a number of Hibbies work there, what influence they have had on the various 'coincidences' i aint sure but i suspect there is a mix of coincidence and influence (maybe even subliminal:greengrin).

Anyway i still think the GTA series is great with San Andreas being the pick of them all- canny whack the gang in green. :agree:

1875STEVE
11-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Theres defo a hibs link, when the one with the villians vlad and roman came out, there was interviews in the national press with two designers, who both admitted to being hibbys. They also put the two forth bridges in on purpose.

TRC
11-09-2013, 03:19 PM
IIRC Rockstar was started in Dundee and the very first 2D GTA was developed and released there.
I'm pretty sure they sold the company soon after and it was then moved to Leith and really took off after that, so i dont think the Dundee gadgie(s) are still involved (i may be wrong).
I know a couple of folk who have worked there, one a map designer and have been told that a number of Hibbies work there, what influence they have had on the various 'coincidences' i aint sure but i suspect there is a mix of coincidence and influence (maybe even subliminal:greengrin).

Anyway i still think the GTA series is great with San Andreas being the pick of them all- canny whack the gang in green. :agree:

apparently this version is close to San Andreas which I agree is the best of the franchise.

SmallvilleHibee
11-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Roman was a protagonist in GTA IV

essexhibee
11-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Roman was a protagonist in GTA IV

Isnt it Niko Bellic?

Amazing series btw. Changed gaming history :agree:

SmashinGlass
11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Isnt it Niko Bellic?

Amazing series btw. Changed gaming history :agree:

Yeah, Roman was his brother who owned the cab business. He accompanies Niko on a fair few missions

paul_hfc3
13-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Theres defo a hibs link, when the one with the villians vlad and roman came out, there was interviews in the national press with two designers, who both admitted to being hibbys. They also put the two forth bridges in on purpose.

Vlad and Roman are defo not to do with a Hibs link. Its pure coincidence. Roman Bellic is one of the main good guys as well, hes not a villain at all.

MyJo
13-09-2013, 04:01 PM
apparently this version is close to San Andreas which I agree is the best of the franchise.

The game is set in San Andreas with a big city (Los Santos) and lots of surrounds areas of countryside etc.

Its so big that the Xbox version is apparently a 2 disc effort and your going to need to download the game to your hard drive from both discs before you start playing it.

Greendub
13-09-2013, 04:05 PM
The game is set in San Andreas with a big city (Los Santos) and lots of surrounds areas of countryside etc.

Its so big that the Xbox version is apparently a 2 disc effort and your going to need to download the game to your hard drive from both discs before you start playing it.

One disc is to be installed and the other is to to play the game.

for a game of that size putting it on one disc would have badly affected the quality.

anyhoo's

Not long to go now!!

kdhibees1
13-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Raging I sold my Ps3 now!!! Pishfarts!