PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Divided: sectarianism in capital football

Miguel
08-09-2013, 11:44 PM
The original Hibernian club was sectarian in the sense that only practising Catholics could be involved with it. After we folded and were reborn, the club was consciously opened to the wider community. Its Catholicism and Irishness weakened over the years, and now it is only part of the club's identity.
As far as we know, there was no similar Protestant sectarianism at Hearts: they were simply just another Edinburgh football club. They may have attracted some militantly Protestant supporters, simply by dint of them being in opposition to Hibs. Today, there appears to be no overt emphasis on their Protestant credentials.
But...Perhaps it was more subtle than that.
Hearts, it is claimed, were the 'establishment' club. And the establishment was mainly Protestant. Did class come into it as well, with Hearts supporters at least viewing themselves as socially superior to Hibs fans - the 'away back tae yer bungalows' view?
When I was growing up in Niddrie in the 1960s and 70s, it would be correct to say that all Catholics were either Hibs, or Celtic, while Protestants were probably two to one for Hearts, with the remainder mostly Hibs. Some of the Protestants who supported Hearts were pretty anti-Catholic, but most didn't seem to be particularly bothered either way to be honest.
Have things changed? From my own observations, I would say that most people with an Irish Catholic background will still support us, or the lesser greens, but that the Protestant community has become more fragmented and that even the old east-west split has become less pronounced. It's more a combination of lots of different factors dictating who people support? Thoughts?

Viva_Palmeiras
08-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Who lobbed that grenade?

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Not having a dash at the OP, but, there seems to have been a few of these define ourselves by religion type posts recently, coincidence or what?

Saorsa
09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
The original Hibernian club was sectarian in the sense that only practising Catholics could be involved with it. After we folded and were reborn, the club was consciously opened to the wider community. Its Catholicism and Irishness weakened over the years, and now it is only part of the club's identity.
As far as we know, there was no similar Protestant sectarianism at Hearts: they were simply just another Edinburgh football club. They may have attracted some militantly Protestant supporters, simply by dint of them being in opposition to Hibs. Today, there appears to be no overt emphasis on their Protestant credentials.
Hearts, it is claimed, were the 'establishment' club. And the establishment was mainly Protestant. Did class come into it as well, with Hearts supporters at least viewing themselves as socially superior to Hibs fans - the 'away back tae yer bungalows' view?
When I was growing up in Niddrie in the 1960s and 70s, it would be correct to say that all Catholics were either Hibs, or Celtic, while Protestants were probably two to one for Hearts, with the remainder mostly Hibs. Some of the Protestants who supported Hearts were pretty anti-Catholic, but most didn't seem to be particularly bothered either way to be honest.
Have things changed? From my own observations, I would say that most people with an Irish Catholic background will still support us, or the lesser greens, but that the Protestant community has become more fragmented and that even the old east-west split has become less pronounced. It's more a combination of lots of different factors dictating who people support? Thoughts?TBH my first thought would actually be who gives a ****. There's something wrong (sad) about people who let religion or politics influence what team they support and this country unfortunately is full of sad people.

JOD
09-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Have things changed? From my own observations, I would say that most people with an Irish Catholic background will still support us, or the lesser greens, but that the Protestant community has become more fragmented and that even the old east-west split has become less pronounced. It's more a combination of lots of different factors dictating who people support? Thoughts?

What a load of P--h my friend. Who gives a Fu-k about all that bigotry nonsense You either luv Hibs or don't and that's all that matters to me.:partyhibb

The_Horde
09-09-2013, 01:35 AM
The only problem we have with sectarianism is through in that hovel in the west.

The Baldmans Comb
09-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Where do the aethists and agnostics fit into your simple world of proddies and kaflicks as I suspect there are a lot more of us?

2nd thoughts dont bother answering as I really don't care and find the subject of your thread extremely tedious and increasingly irrelevant in the 21st century which can only be a good thing.

07hibee
09-09-2013, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=Miguel;3743838]The original Hibernian club was sectarian in the sense that only practising Catholics could be involved with it. After we folded and were reborn, the club was consciously opened to the wider community. Its Catholicism and Irishness weakened over the years, and now it is only part of the club's identity.
Have things changed? From my own observations, I would say that most people with an Irish Catholic background will still support us, or the lesser greens, but that the Protestant community has become more fragmented and that even the old east-west split has become less pronounced. It's more a combination of lots of different factors dictating who people support?

whiskyhibby
09-09-2013, 05:58 AM
What a load of P--h my friend. Who gives a Fu-k about all that bigotry nonsense You either luv Hibs or don't and that's all that matters to me.:partyhibb

well said...............

1two
09-09-2013, 06:03 AM
I think it's pretty much non existent at Hibs now other than a recognised part of our history. This is a good thing.

I think it's pretty much the same at hearts although their problem was very much anti-catholic rather than pro-anything else.

The only reason the religious side of things is still some type of issue today in Edinburgh is mainly down to the Glasgow Proddy/Catholic divide.

I was raised a Catholic - although i class myself as an atheist now with absolutely no interest in religion. I'm a hibby because my dad and uncles are all hibbies and they took me to the games. Like it or not, their link to Hibs probably is down to religion somewhere down the line so in that sense one of the reasons I'm a hibby is down to religion. I suspect many others are the same.

When I have kids they'll be hibbies because I won't allow them to be anything else, religion won't come into it.

I guess what I'm saying is, you're right, the religious link is dying out.

But as most have already said, it's for the best.

gorgie greens
09-09-2013, 06:20 AM
remember my dad telling me how my mums side of the family were jambos and her dad being in the orange order saying that even although my dad came from a decent protestant church going family from Leith could not accept the fact that my dads family were all proud of their Leith heritage and proud Hibbys,i myself have no religous beliefs in any way,when you think my parents met early 1960's it must have been a problem more for previous generations than todays,i grew up in west Edinburgh (saughton Mains) went to Tynecastle high school and we had maybe two thirds jambos to Hibbys ratio,and you had a few bell ends who started the anti catholic guffi i wore my Hibs scarf on many occations to school hoping to catch the odd yam comming out the piggery after physio or something.
GGTTH

Jack
09-09-2013, 07:11 AM

While no one can argue with with your own observations, they're yours after all, my thoughts are that you need to get out more and see what's actually happening.

What I find a wee bit concerning is that there are still people like you who appear to know the religions of all those around them. Can you tell us more about the teams the Catholic Muslims are most likely to support, or the Protestant Hindus?

Golden Bear
09-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Hibs are a football club and the people who follow them are football fans.

That's all I'm really interested in.

Thecat23
09-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I have no interest in religion and football together. I watch football for the football. In this day and age anyone who supports a club because they have say more "catholic" or vice versa are ****ing morons.

It's just a game for crying out loud. 22 players all playing their part to make sure they score more than the other team. The last thing on a players mind or mine while watching Hibs is "I wonder how many Catholics are here today."

Few posts of late talking about us and Celtic now this? Personally I think some folk are fishing if I'm honest.

Lets just leave that mob over in the west to do whatever they feel and leave this side to footballing matters.

Brizo
09-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Id suggest we have had a very diverse support from well before WW2. Prof Tom Gallaghers book which is actually called Edinburgh Divided (is that where you got your thread title) and is about John Cormack and Protestant Action states that there were Leith based PA followers who were also Hibs fans. Given this was the 1930s, that shows to me we were a pretty diverse bunch within sixty years of our founding.

Today in this secular age things are pretty much a big melting pot. My memories of school fitba divisions are much like Miguels but nowadays with so many people of other and no faiths going to the Catholic schools there were plenty Jambos and a fair few huns at my kids RC schools.

Given Embras Irish Catholic immigration only accounted for 10% of the cities population I would say that we have quite a bit more than 10% of our support with that background. Id stress the word background as I know plenty boys with Irish surnames or Irish ancestry who are Protestant, atheist or agnostic who are proud of their and the clubs origins.

I know some but not many people with an Irish Catholic background who support the Hertz. I think they still have a substantial Section N element which maybe makes it uncomfortable for folk with that background to go to Tynie. In that regard we can be extremely proud that we are far more inclusive than them and have been for at least the last eighty years.

Golden Bear
09-09-2013, 07:25 AM
I have no interest in religion and football together. I watch football for the football. In this day and age anyone who supports a club because they have say more "catholic" or vice versa are ****ing morons.

It's just a game for crying out loud. 22 players all playing their part to make sure they score more than the other team. The last thing on a players mind or mine while watching Hibs is "I wonder how many Catholics are here today."

Few post of late talking about us and Celtic now this? Personally I think some folk are fishing if I'm honest.

Lets just leave that mob over in the west to do whatever they feel and leave this side to footballing matters.

:agree:

I've noticed that myself. I can't think of the agenda but it's worth keeping an eye on.

surreyhibbie
09-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Hibs are football club and the people who follow them are football fans.

That's all I'm really interested in.

Yup, sums it up for me. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm a catholic, although i say that very loosely, i don't go to church unless its a wedding or a funeral.

I support Hibs because my dad did and we were born in Leith. If my dad had been a gimp, i'd be one of them.

Who i support has nothing whatsoever to do with religion, and i don't know one Hibs fan it does?

dangermouse
09-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Football is my religion, Hibs are my church.

Holmesdale Hibs
09-09-2013, 07:39 AM
If you looked at the ancestry of all Hibs fans then it would make sense that a higher than normal proportion are catholic but I think that's where it ends in terms of whether we're a catholic club.

IMO, the majority of Hibs fans don't care about religious background and I'd say the same for Hearts fans. In general, I think religion is becoming a less important part of society and with less people going to church, the catholic element of our history has been dilouted to the point where it's barely noticeable.

Most football fans from Edinburgh don't care about religious background. And the minority - and it is a tiny minority - that make noise about it are wee neds who have probably never been to a religious service in years.

Miguel
09-09-2013, 07:40 AM
My post isn't a fishing expedition.
I was just interested to what extent these divisions, which were once prominent, have declined in importance. Similar questions could be posed about political and geographic influences and motivations.

Bill Milne
09-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Sectarianism is not a subject which bothers me as a Hibby, which is hard to explain to Tims in Glasgow who are convinced we are co-religionists and IRA supporters. Indeed, I would find it difficult to point at the people on my normal bus (Carlton) and identify them by religious affiliation, which is how it should be. Like a post on this thread, one of my uncles was an Orangeman and also secretary of the Portobello Hibs supporters branch.

Golden Bear
09-09-2013, 07:50 AM
My post isn't a fishing expedition.
I was just interested to what extent these divisions, which were once prominent, have declined in importance. Similar questions could be posed about political and geographic influences and motivations.

Ah - so you're a journalist?

:wink:

Bostonhibby
09-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Religion? Don't do it myself,its a factor in too much of the strife in the world, proud to be an aetheist. Never view my football team that Way. I am a Hibby born into a protestant family none of whom support Hearts very many Hibbies, one Hun.
Born in Leith, lived in East Edinburgh before moving.

Many Hibs friends, the real history for me is my connection with Hibs and Friendships and memories I have thanks to them.

Punt this thread and similar into a special religious section for those who see it as important?

Lucius Apuleius
09-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Too bloody high falutin for me. I am a hibby. End of. My religous views matter not a whit.

Matty_Jack04
09-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Hibs where originally formed as a club for Irish immigrants because they weren't allowed elsewhere I'd hardly call it 'catholic only' or sectarian because they made there own club it was the times that forced that play, the recently deceased Glasgow rangers however choose not to sign Catholics for a long period ending with mo Johnston I believe somewhere in the 80s,now that stinks a little of sectarianism.
I don't believe hibs have a problem with sectarianism,I've never heard anything at all whilst attending games to prove otherwise, I do think hearts have a issue but that's not my worry and it's nowhere near the scale of the 2 thru the west.

It's school playground stuff religion in football,prayed on by the people running the clubs in Glasgow for profit making not giving a moments thought to the social problems it causes, I'm delighted we have nothing to do with it

JimBHibees
09-09-2013, 08:52 AM

I think you are on the wind up, probably Yam or sevco.

JimBHibees
09-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Few posts of late talking about us and Celtic now this? Personally I think some folk are fishing if I'm honest.

Yep Yams probably trying to justify their small core of sectarian idiots.

Brightside
09-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Religion has no place in football. If you are that way inclined keep it to your local church with all the other tin hats.

Andy74
09-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Not much point reading after the first line. Trying to associate a club that was formed by and for a particular community at the time with modern day sectariansim and all it has become is just daft.

Keith_M
09-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Is this a fishing expedition by a journalist?

:troll:

Bostonhibby
09-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Julius Ceasar invaded Britain in 55BC - Are the Italians aggressive empire builders? Discuss.........................:wink:

Keith_M
09-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Julius Ceasar invaded Britain in 55BC - Are the Italians aggressive empire builders? Discuss.........................:wink:

Are the French still 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' or does their new found pally wally status with the US make them OK again?

Have the Yanks re-renamed Freedom Fries back to French Fries yet?

Discuss....

Geo_1875
09-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Religion is a stick that football fans use to wave at their opponents. As 90% of them couldn't find their nearest church or chapel with a satnav it loses relevance in modern times. In Edinburgh it has even less relevance as "we" tend to be 90 minute bigots whereas for fans of the Old Firm it is still a fulltime way of life

Keith_M
09-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Religion is a stick that football fans use to wave at their opponents. As 90% of them couldn't find their nearest church or chapel with a satnav it loses relevance in modern times. In Edinburgh it has even less relevance as "we" tend to be 90 minute bigots whereas for fans of the Old Firm it is still a fulltime way of life

I think you REALLY need to explain that statement.

Thecat23
09-09-2013, 09:55 AM

In no way would I say our fans are bigots for 90 mins. Maybe the odd twat but that's about it. I can honestly say almost all fans at ER would be going for the footy and not to shout about anything else.

We are to busy moaning about the team to care about bigotry.

gringojoe
09-09-2013, 10:01 AM

What have they ever done for us?

basehibby
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Sectarian is not really the right word for 19th century pre-Celtic Hibs IMO.

The team was PART of the Edinburgh YMCA - Young Mens Catholic Association - (as was a very successful swimming club at the time), and run by Cannon Hannon of St Pats in the cowgate. If I understand correctly the ethos of the YMCA was to keep the young men of the Irish imigrant community (which was overwhelmingly catholic in it's makeup) on the straight and narrow by getting them involved with healthy activities, while at the same time, reaching out to the wider community and building ties by raising funds for good causes. And YES, from my reading of the books out there on Hibs' early history, if the Cannon was to notice that a player was absent from mass on a Sunday, that player was quite likely to find himself off the teamsheet the following weekend!

The early Hibs then was part of a wider organisation which, in the context of the late 19th century was no more sectarian than an expats association in modern times and therefore to to label the early Hibs as "sectarian" is misleading and disengenuous.

This is bourne out completely by the fact that when Hibs were reformed as a professional outfit in the early 1890s they had a clear non-sectarian signing policy from the outset. I think it's fair to say that this attitude is reflected in the support which, with few exceptions, cares not a jot about the religious persuassion (or lack thereof) of the players on the park or the punters next to them on the terraces.

dangermouse
09-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Are you from the Judean Peoples Front?

Peevemor
09-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Sectarian is not really the right word for 19th century pre-Celtic Hibs IMO.

The team was PART of the Edinburgh YMCA - Young Mens Catholic Association - (as was a very successful swimming club at the time), and run by Cannon Hannon of St Pats in the cowgate. If I understand correctly the ethos of the YMCA was to keep the young men of the Irish imigrant community (which was overwhelmingly catholic in it's makeup) on the straight and narrow by getting them involved with healthy activities, while at the same time, reaching out to the wider community and building ties by raising funds for good causes. And YES, from my reading of the books out there on Hibs' early history, if the Cannon was to notice that a player was absent from mass on a Sunday, that player was quite likely to find himself off the teamsheet the following weekend!

Is it not 'christian' as opposed to 'catholic'?

Brightside
09-09-2013, 10:21 AM

I am not aware of any bigots at Easter Road, and if i hear any they will be out of the place in seconds.

Baker9
Are you from the Judean Peoples Front?

More likely the People's Front of Judea. Totally different fronts.

JimBHibees

That is a crock.

Keith_M
09-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Agree with other posters, that really is one crock of sh*t.

LeithBoozy
09-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Well they build the main stand at the PBS for a start. :wink:

Hibiza
09-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Have things changed? From my own observations, I would say that most people with an Irish Catholic background will still support us, or the lesser greens, but that the Protestant community has become more fragmented and that even the old east-west split has become less pronounced. It's more a combination of lots of different factors dictating who people support? Thoughts? guff

Geo_1875
09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I think you REALLY need to explain that statement.

By that I mean the small number of fans who lose it for the duration of the game but would.never consider behaving in the same manner in any other circumstance.

The reason I put the we in quotes is that both clubs in Edinburgh have such supporters.

1875STEVE
09-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Sectarian?

The way I read it, there was none of this "you had to be kafflik to play", From what I read up about it, none of the other clubs would let Irish/Irish Catholics play, so they started their own club.

Id say the rest of the club, including the first of the three incarnations of Hearts were sectarian for not letting them play.

Also, did we actually "fold"?

I read it as the club still existing, but us not having a team due to Celtic, and then no ground, because we got rid because we had no team.

I don't think we ever actually folded.

Pretty Boy
09-09-2013, 11:24 AM
I never knew being a Hibs fan had to be so complicated.

I support Hibs, i'm proud of our roots, proud of our history and proud of our present. I also happen to have being raised a Catholic but that had no influence on my choice of football team, I support Hibs because most of my family, Catholic and Protestant, do. Simple.

The OP is either fishing or was over thinking imo.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-09-2013, 11:24 AM
By that I mean the small number of fans who lose it for the duration of the game but would.never consider behaving in the same manner in any other circumstance.

The reason I put the we in quotes is that both clubs in Edinburgh have such supporters.

Plenty folk are capable of losing it at games, without becoming 90 minute bigots.

Most odd!

1875STEVE
09-09-2013, 11:32 AM
FWIW I was christened a Protestant.

But religion never came into anything in my family growing up.

My dad was raised in Albion Road, and his dad was a hibby, I was never going to be anything else.

Ive never been to football and thought/acted/sang anything religious.

Mikey
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm sure there are footballing issues we can argue about, rather than this nonsense.