PDA

View Full Version : You are a multi millionaire..........

theonlywayisup
07-09-2013, 06:47 PM
...........which English football team would you buy?

Sheffield United’s new co-owner HRH Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (mega wealthy) says it’s his ambition to see the club return to the Premiership.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-new-multi-millionaire-prince-2258195

A few years ago, I said when Romonov bought Hertz, I said why didn't he buy a team like QPR, who are based in London (i.e. access to financial market and a decent support). He could have got them into the EPL and the riches that are available there.

So which English team, preferably a sleeping giant, would you buy? And why?

Me - was watching MK Dons. Good stadium, close to London, surely they have a potential greater than, say, Wigan or Norwich!

Discuss..................

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
If somebody with mega dough bought The Hammers just as they are about to move in to a new stadium they would certainly have every chance of stepping up to the next level.

ScottB
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
There's so many rich owners down there now that it's getting to the point were it's going to be billionaires only in terms of owning an EPL club.

If you look at ones that are big enough to arguably sustain themselves as Premiership clubs, Leeds are an obvious one, Forest, QPR, Middlesborough etc.

One Day Soon
07-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Newcastle surely?

clerriehibs
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
...........which English football team would you buy?

Sheffield United’s new co-owner HRH Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (mega wealthy) says it’s his ambition to see the club return to the Premiership.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-new-multi-millionaire-prince-2258195

A few years ago, I said when Romonov bought Hertz, I said why didn't he buy a team like QPR, who are based in London (i.e. access to financial market and a decent support). He could have got them into the EPL and the riches that are available there.

So which EPL team, preferably a sleeping giant, would you buy? And why?

Me - was watching MK Dons. Good stadium, close to London, surely they have a potential greater than, say, Wigan or Norwich!

Maybe it's easier to wash your money in Scottish football?

stevenhibs
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
For me, I've always wondered why neither of the Bristol clubs have been bought, preferably Rovers.

Huge city, huge fan base, abysmal league placings so probably cost next to nothing to buy initially.

bingo70
07-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Doesn't answer the original question but I hate the way football is going/has gone with all these billionaires playing real life fantasy football. Imo its just *****, I preferred it when it was mainly British players and the odd exciting foreigner chucked in.

Billy Whizz
07-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Newcastle surely?

Why?

theonlywayisup
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Interesting data in the attached..............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

West Midlands and West Yorkshire being the 3rd and 4th most populated areas after Greater London & Greater Manchester - no EPL teams in the West Midlands and West Yorkshire areas except for Aston Villa. Liverpool is 5th, Tyneside 7th, Nottingham 8th, Sheffield 9th and Bristol 10th. Also, Cardiff 10th, Teeside 11th, Sunderland 18th, Swansea 24th, Derby 26th, Norwich 35th and Wigan 39th.

Miguel
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
For me, I've always wondered why neither of the Bristol clubs have been bought, preferably Rovers.

Huge city, huge fan base, abysmal league placings so probably cost next to nothing to buy initially.

Often compared to situation in Edinburgh...

One Day Soon
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Why?

The potential and the fan base

hibee19
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
None. I'd buy Hibs.

Billy Whizz
07-09-2013, 07:25 PM
The potential and the fan base

The fan base is really only Newcastle, brand doesn't travel too far in my opinion

Mark79
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I would find a wee team with some gullable fans. Get them on my side by promising a nice new stadium with hotel. Set a target of winning the champions league within say 5 years.

I would take on the debt to get there so I would just owe it to myself. Then if it went belly up I can f off without a trace.

Simples.

Haymaker
07-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Forrest.

snooky
07-09-2013, 09:01 PM
The fan base is really only Newcastle, brand doesn't travel too far in my opinion

Good point but there's no fairy tale clubs around. The nearest would have been Man City (hooking on to the 'Manchester' tag and United's world wide fame).
Newcastle would be a good solid bet IMO, or Sunderland as a second choice. Both have solid fan bases and that's without any glory hunters. Imagine how many fans they would have if they actually won things!

HibbyKeith
07-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Good point but there's no fairy tale clubs around. The nearest would have been Man City (hooking on to the 'Manchester' tag and United's world wide fame).
Newcastle would be a good solid bet IMO, or Sunderland as a second choice. Both have solid fan bases and that's without any glory hunters. Imagine how many fans they would have if they actually won things!

this!

Sir David Gray
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Why does it have to be an English team?

Personally, I'd buy Hearts and then sell them to Tesco for £1.

McIntosh
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
One of my student's family owned one.

nonshinyfinish
07-09-2013, 10:21 PM
None. I'd buy Hibs.

Right answer.

snooky
07-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Right answer, Mr Farmer
:wink:

nonshinyfinish
07-09-2013, 10:51 PM
:wink:

My inference from the OP was 'you are a multimillionaire, but you have not earned your millions through being an astute businessman, and so there's more chance that you're willing to piss them away on a football club with little chance of ever getting them back.'

Or something.

IWasThere2016
07-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Everton, Toon or Leeds.

Billychaotic182
07-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Leeds. They have the fan base and the history that shows they can be a huge team. Saying that spurs would be my team

steakbake
08-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Portsmouth. Maybe Notts Forest.

Just_Jimmy
08-09-2013, 01:42 AM
I'd be too busy buying ridiculously expensive cars and fooling around with plenty women to give a toss about the losing game that's fast become the billionaires graveyard, the EPL.

Throwing money at football is for mugs. Throw it at women and cars instead. Never did George Best any harm.

Pete
08-09-2013, 01:43 AM

It doesn't matter how much money you have, Any chat like that would probably result in days of painful treatment in Nottingham city hospital to remove notes from your Archibald.:greengrin

I'd have to say West Ham. A big fan base, ready to move into a new stadium but more importantly they are a London club. Big players like the big city and if they can get it right then they could be right up there.

Edinburgh is probably the second most desirable city to call home in the UK. It makes you wonder how things would turn out if we were to join a British league. So much potential.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-09-2013, 02:10 AM
I'd be too busy buying ridiculously expensive cars and fooling around with plenty women to give a toss about the losing game that's fast become the billionaires graveyard, the EPL.

Throwing money at football is for mugs. Throw it at women and cars instead. Never did George Best any harm.

None of these billionaires are in that graveyard yet, as for George .....

gorgie greens
08-09-2013, 06:30 AM
think the more obvious would be Leeds or one of the Sheffield clubs due to the huge fan base,but few have tried and failed at those sort of teams,(Bates,Madjestki)
not sure in both those cases it was down to having money but not throwing it about like confetti,The nearest club to me Cardiff are now in the holy grail,not sure if they will stay up (ask me at xmas time)but under Sam they were always a nearly club and now they have a new owner who seems to be getting the fans back on side after changing the teams colours,imagine someone comming in and saying "i own your club and you will now play in red because in my country red is a lucky colour,we would be going mental,
as much as i (tin hat time AGAIN)looked in green at the yams winning those cups,wished Hibs had an owner who would give us that cup,
i feel sometimes were better with STF than some ego nutter.

Keith_M
08-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Sheffield Wednesday

Pretty Boy
08-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Leeds.

Then i'd change their colours to red for more brand awareness, change the name to the Leeds Super Hawks and change the badge to be more commercially viable.

**** the real fans as long as it flogs a few shirts to the die hards in China and Japan.

blackpoolhibs
08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Crystal Palace, its another sleeping giant, although it does seem like its been in a coma they have the fan base to be a very big club.

Caversham Green
08-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Doesn't answer the original question but I hate the way football is going/has gone with all these billionaires playing real life fantasy football. Imo its just *****, I preferred it when it was mainly British players and the odd exciting foreigner chucked in.

I sort of agree with that, it's not so much the foreign players as the idea of just throwing money at the team to get success. I wasn't at all happy when Zingarevich bought Reading because I thought he was going to turn the club into another successful but faceless corporation (I'm an ST holder but don't really class myself as a supporter). He seems to be keeping a low profile so far though.

think the more obvious would be Leeds or one of the Sheffield clubs due to the huge fan base,but few have tried and failed at those sort of teams,(Bates,Madjestki)
not sure in both those cases it was down to having money but not throwing it about like confetti,The nearest club to me Cardiff are now in the holy grail,not sure if they will stay up (ask me at xmas time)but under Sam they were always a nearly club and now they have a new owner who seems to be getting the fans back on side after changing the teams colours,imagine someone comming in and saying "i own your club and you will now play in red because in my country red is a lucky colour,we would be going mental,
as much as i (tin hat time AGAIN)looked in green at the yams winning those cups,wished Hibs had an owner who would give us that cup,
i feel sometimes were better with STF than some ego nutter.

Madejski's involvement with Reading was very similar to STF at Hibs, which is why I do feel a bit of affinity with them. He bought them to stop them going bust following Maxwell's attempted merger with Oxford (who were the 'big' team at the time) and grew them organically to where they are today - he didn't really throw money at them but he leaves them in a much better state than he found them.

Anyway, to answer the OP I think Sheffield United is a good club to invest in, and agree that the Bristol clubs seem like a good shout as well. Buy them both and you'd have a cracking pair of Bristols to play with...

erin go bragh
08-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Id buy Wolves . then id sell Griffiths to Hibs for a nominal fee !

Ggtth

Hank Schrader
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Sheffield Wednesday

Sleeping giant.:agree:

Keith_M
08-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Sleeping giant.:agree:

Yep, I think there's real potential still there. I don't think you'd have to pay too much, considering the fan base and stadium they already have.

The really sad thing is, some foriegn billionaire would rather buy a team that already plays in red or want to change the colour to red, just to tap into the Far East market. Maybe why the guy mentioned in the original post is buying Utd instead. (I have nothing against Utd, before anyone asks).

I've discounted a number of other clubs that have large fan potential for various reasons, e.g. Newcastle would be too expensive to buy and as for Leeds.... well, they're Leeds, what more reason could you want :wink:

dangermouse
09-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Forrest.

Do you mean Forest? :wink:

vincipernoi
09-09-2013, 09:26 AM
It doesn't matter how much money you have, Any chat like that would probably result in days of painful treatment in Nottingham city hospital to remove notes from your Archibald.:greengrin

I'd have to say West Ham. A big fan base, ready to move into a new stadium but more importantly they are a London club. Big players like the big city and if they can get it right then they could be right up there.

Edinburgh is probably the second most desirable city to call home in the UK. It makes you wonder how things would turn out if we were to join a British league. So much potential.

What's the most desirable? just asking likesay

Keith_M
09-09-2013, 09:41 AM

It's Notts County but Nottingham Forest (never Notts Forest). IIRC, the 'Notts' part is short for Nottinghamshire.

They take that kind of thing VERY seriously down there.

Scouse Hibee
09-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Tranmere, they could replace Everton in the premiership.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-09-2013, 12:43 PM
I see the scouse fishing season has started! ;)

Scouse Hibee
09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I see the scouse fishing season has started! ;)

The scouse fishing season is closed!

weecounty hibby
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
The scouse fishing season is closed!

Everton would be a great buy. Top team on Merseyside for the last two seasons without huge investment. Imagine what could be done with an influx of cash. Inserts winking face smilie

Haymaker
09-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Do you mean Forest? :wink:

Very possible yes.

Thinking on it, someone like Southampton would be a great buy, no money to spend on infrastructure and little debt. Much better than their skate neighbours.

West ham too, moving to the Olympic stadium. Forest/wednesday etc would eventually require a new stadium and that is best avoided.

yekimevol
09-09-2013, 06:03 PM
When you own a football team all you do is lose money, when you do it right. Thus i would only buy hibs.

James.
09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
WBA. Established Prem team, sound financial position, great tradition and solid fan base. The fans would instantly love me when they see my track record with the Albion on Champ Man.

magpie1892
09-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Newcastle surely?

Please God. Oh, and also the correct answer.

weonlywon6-2
09-09-2013, 07:03 PM

On nail head hit

AndyM_1875
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Please God. Oh, and also the correct answer.

Ok, I'll be that millionaire magpie.
I wouldn't throw money about to be frittered away but I'd do the following in my first year.

My first job is to say thanks but you can go now to Mike Ashley.
Then I take a particular relish in firing Joe Kinnear. I tell Alan Pardew to run the football side along with an appointed European experienced Director of Football, perhaps i aggressively recruit Franco Baldini or Damien Comolli. Both men are wholly responsible for Transfer dealing and results. If a case is made that money is required then I provide it.

Insisting on revamping the Youth Program i would demand that the club re-establishes strong links with the local boys clubs like Wallsend and beef up the scouting network across The UK. I would also like the club to aspire to playing the same system across the teams.

That's my first season.

weonlywon6-2
09-09-2013, 07:13 PM

On nail head hit

nonshinyfinish
09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Ok, I'll be that millionaire magpie.
I wouldn't throw money about to be frittered away but I'd do the following in my first year.

My first job is to say thanks but you can go now to Mike Ashley.
Then I take a particular relish in firing Joe Kinnear. I tell Alan Pardew to run the football side along with an appointed European experienced Director of Football, perhaps i aggressively recruit Franco Baldini or Damien Comolli. Both men are wholly responsible for Transfer dealing and results. If a case is made that money is required then I provide it.

Insisting on revamping the Youth Program i would demand that the club re-establishes strong links with the local boys clubs like Wallsend and beef up the scouting network across The UK. I would also like the club to aspire to playing the same system across the teams.

That's my first season.

What's your strategy in the second season for getting out of the Championship? :wink:

Bronson
09-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Leeds and Nottm Forest are the obvious ones seeing as they're essentially sleeping giants but I can't help but feel Aston Villa would be perfect. Generally a very solid EPL team (last season not so much) with a big stadium, good fanbase and a huge population in Birmingham. If they had a big financial backing they could possibly get back to where they were about 3 years ago, when they pushed for top 4.

J-C
09-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Only one team crying out for a new wealthy owner and that's Everton

--------
10-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Yep, I think there's real potential still there. I don't think you'd have to pay too much, considering the fan base and stadium they already have.

The really sad thing is, some foriegn billionaire would rather buy a team that already plays in red or want to change the colour to red, just to tap into the Far East market. Maybe why the guy mentioned in the original post is buying Utd instead. (I have nothing against Utd, before anyone asks).

I've discounted a number of other clubs that have large fan potential for various reasons, e.g. Newcastle would be too expensive to buy and as for Leeds.... well, they're Leeds, what more reason could you want :wink:

Assuming I was a really really really rich billionaire, I might be tempted to buy Leeds.

I'm sure I could think of a few things to do to them. I mean, do WITH them. :devil:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Liverpool as they "are my english team" as they say.

Newcastle or Leeds - for obvious reasons.

But if im honest, I'd only ever love to buy one team, Hibernian F.C!

Keith_M
10-09-2013, 06:34 PM
If I was a billionaire, I'd hire hit-men to take out everybody that disagreed with me on 'hibs.net'.

I'd then nip over to the UKIO Bankas Administrators with 10mill in my back pocket.

joe breezy
10-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Hibs for me - we'd be in the Premiership within 3 years of my master plan

Pedantic_Hibee
11-09-2013, 12:44 PM
*reads thread title*

*searches for friendly Nigerian*

*leaves thread disappointed*

jacomo
11-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Leeds and Nottm Forest are the obvious ones seeing as they're essentially sleeping giants but I can't help but feel Aston Villa would be perfect. Generally a very solid EPL team (last season not so much) with a big stadium, good fanbase and a huge population in Birmingham. If they had a big financial backing they could possibly get back to where they were about 3 years ago, when they pushed for top 4.

Any idea how much money Randy Lerner has burned through at Villa? He spent millions on his project before realising he couldn't break into the top 4 and is now, much chastened, pursuing a new, more cost effective strategy.

Getting into the top 4 in England would require colossal investment. Spurs have spent around £100m this summer (albeit losing Bale at the same time) and their chances are probably 50:50 at best.

Treadstone
11-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Any idea how much money Randy Lerner has burned through at Villa? He spent millions on his project before realising he couldn't break into the top 4 and is now, much chastened, pursuing a new, more cost effective strategy.

Getting into the top 4 in England would require colossal investment. Spurs have spent around £100m this summer (albeit losing Bale at the same time) and their chances are probably 50:50 at best.

Lengthy read but the always informed Swiss Ramble has taken a stab at it.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Aston%20Villa

Keith_M
11-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Lengthy read but the always informed Swiss Ramble has taken a stab at it.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Aston%20Villa

Wow, do those people like their charts!

Dr Jimmy
11-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Crystal Palace, its another sleeping giant, although it does seem like its been in a coma they have the fan base to be a very big club.

You should read Simon Jordan's book about his time as owner of Crystal Palace called "Careful what you wish for".
It's a good read and would deter anyone from going near a football club.

brian6-2
11-09-2013, 04:13 PM
You should read Simon Jordan's book about his time as owner of Crystal Palace called "Careful what you wish for".

complete bellend of a man.

would take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

Dr Jimmy
11-09-2013, 05:08 PM
complete bellend of a man.

would take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

I've met him several times and he is/was great company, genuine and basically a good guy. Do you have any personal experience of him or just believing the red tops?

Haymaker
11-09-2013, 05:16 PM

He got a lot of stick from the fans IIRC. I grew up in a palace area and they all wanted him to spend millions upon millions that he, and the club, didnt have. When he didnt they turned on him.

brian6-2
12-09-2013, 08:40 AM
I've met him several times and he is/was great company, genuine and basically a good guy. Do you have any personal experience of him or just believing the red tops?

Never met the chap personally but going by the way he conducts himself on TV ive came to the conclussion he's a bit of a twat. His appearances on Sky Sports News are cringy, dont get me wrong interesting to hear his views but the way he battered on about being the guy who discovered Wilfred Zaha was a bit out of order.

southsider
12-09-2013, 01:38 PM
We used to have a millionare chairman, the late Tom Hart, who was paying George Best(out of his own pocket) a reported £2000 a week. In 1979 a pint was 20p. Now it is about £2.40 so that is twelve times the 1979 price, so Bestie might be on £24,000 a week....wow. Now we have a multi-millionaire owner with short arms and long pockets and a team manager that has been in charge of the worst two results in our history and nothing gets done. If i had half of STF's money Pep Gardiola might be the manager. Once my euro-million numbers come up Pat and Rod's name is walker.

Hibercelona
12-09-2013, 08:46 PM

None. I'd be lying on the beach of Ibiza with my bottle of estrella.