PDA

View Full Version : What was your primary school football team like?

Pages : [1] 2

Miguel
07-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Loved primary school football. For many, it was the first 'real' team they played for. Later, coached both my laddies' school teams and it was fun, much better than club football. Had some good runs in Inspectors and School Board Cups and local leagues/cups.
Any memories?

Miguel
07-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I loved it as a player and later as a coach. Any memories?
A story to start of: a relative of mine coached a school team. It was in the days when they still had competitive leagues. Came down to a play off between his and a rival school. He agreed with the other coach, a jannie, that they should have a neutral ref, so one was hired. Relative's school won the game and the league, in controversial circumstances. A while later, relative is passing a church as it comes out. Sees referee and goes up to him and shakes his hand. Just then, jannie from other school passes in his car...the next season, the two schools play again. Relative goes up to shake jannie's hand. Jannie shakes hand and whispers in relative's ear: 'you ******g cheat'!

edinburghhibee
07-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Loved primary school football. For many, it was the first 'real' team they played for. Later, coached both my laddies' school teams and it was fun, much better than club football. Had some good runs in Inspectors and School Board Cups and local leagues/cups.
Any memories?

My primary school team was abbeyhill decent enough I think, non of us made the big time though. Only really remember playing parsons green for some reason.

Pete
07-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Mitre mould masters and full size goals without nets.

Our home pitch was actually in our playground which was an advantage and we were quite good. St.Cuthberts used to sneak a win once or twice but that was about it. We won the league in 1986 and Gary Mackay was supposed to present us with our medals but he didn't turn up. I don't actually remember ever receiving a medal so the **** probably knicked them.

Drem
07-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Glenvarloch-3 St Ninnians-2 EPSA Cup Final at Warriston.
About the only good time I can remember.
Came on as a Sub Goalkeeper and lost 1 goal in an 11-1 thumping up at the old pitches opposite Liberton Park.:rolleyes:

Thecat23
07-09-2013, 05:52 AM
We had a good side, I was at Moredun Primary and we won the E.P.S.A cup then Craigour Shield. Good days!!

Black Kyle
07-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Trinity didn't have one back then - we used to have to play with balls made out of old socks as no balls were allowed in the playground.

Albanian Hibs
07-09-2013, 06:31 AM
I was the first girl to play for a primary school team. The people incharge at the time were making a big fuss about girls playing in case we got hurt bla bla bla and it made the newspaper. They eventually allowed it. Funny thing is that I was a better player than most of the boys in my team at St Ninians!

hibbymick
07-09-2013, 06:32 AM
We had a good side, I was at Moredun Primary and we won the E.P.S.A cup then Craigour Shield. Good days!!

I played for fernieside. I remember a few meaty games v moredun.

bingo70
07-09-2013, 06:33 AM
Used to have to carry the goal posts up Arthur seat for Parsons green, the year after I left they moved the home games to Northfield, these youngsters dinnae ken how good they've got it!

On a side note its a sin that nowadays the big clubs like hibs, hearts etc sign up all the good youngsters and make them sign something to say they won't play school football, let kids run about and enjoy the game ffs.

Pretty Boy
07-09-2013, 06:47 AM
My primary school team was pish, absolutely shocking but playing in full size goals at 10 was crazy really.

High School team was very good, I played for both my own year and the year above as one played Friday afternoons, the other Saturday morning. From those 2 teams we had players who went on to play for Hearts, Raith Rovers and one even played EPL football.

Unfotunately I stopped playing at 15 as I sigmed for an SPL team and wasn't allowed to play school football, 4 or 5 others were the same so it all fell apart. The team went from a league win, 2 cup wins and a Scottish Cup semi final in our first 3 years to barely having 11 players most weeks.

Great days and playing 3 games in 2 days was brilliant fun.

Thecat23
07-09-2013, 06:55 AM
i played for fernieside. I remember a few meaty games v moredun.

boooooooooo ;)

I'm_cabbaged
07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
St Mark's, we were brutal. Only 7 laddies in our class.

hibbymick
07-09-2013, 07:09 AM
boooooooooo ;)

St. John vianney were the local whipping boys. :greengrin

GoldenEagle
07-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Inspectors Cup winner :)

tanfield
07-09-2013, 07:30 AM
wardie had a great side in the 79 - 80 season. undefeated all season and won the mackie shield, 4 - 1 against fort at warriston. all green strips as well! :).

who remembers the plastic mitre football's?

now help coach my sons primary school team.

Mark79
07-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I was towerbank for my primary. Had one of those grit pitches so grass was difficult to adjust to! Lawrie Ellis who is now assistant manager at Raith and a big yam in my team.

Then high school was porty. Wasn't good enough to get a game there but a few in my year went on to do okay.

woody0-7
07-09-2013, 08:27 AM
My clermiston team was cracking won the epssa the league and all surrounding gala comps but then went to royal high where football wasn't high on the agenda as they're all egg chasers!

lucky
07-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Stockbridge primary, woolly jumpers and hippies= crap team. But still loved playing even though we got hammered all the time

J-C
07-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Didn't have a football team when I was at primary, it was 25 a-side in Leith links with jumpers for goal posts and trees and foot paths as the side lines.

Went to Trinity Secondary where they only had rugby, so played for Edina Hibs as a young teenager.

Hibee87
07-09-2013, 08:48 AM
My primary school team was abbeyhill decent enough I think, non of us made the big time though. Only really remember playing parsons green for some reason.
My Primary school team was abbeyhill as well, remember winning a few trophys when it was 7's and a couple of tourny's, don't think we were that successful in p6 + 7 when it was 11's, I played in goals for the 7's when I was in P6 as wasn't good enough for the 11's then I moved to Livingston so not sure how the team got on

Boydyhfc
07-09-2013, 08:54 AM
I played Primary football for Victoria Primary and we joined with Bonnington Primary for the year in 2001/02. We had a very good side. EPSSA Cup winner in 2002 were I scored the only goal in the final :greengrin. We also got to the Leith Cup final too getting beat of St Marys.

Benny Brazil
07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
East Craigs primary. We had a pretty good team in our age group- my Dad took over managing the football teams when the school couldnt / didnt - should have won the league but for a very very dodgy decision at Foxcovert - a goal that wasnt given. Some good local battles with Drumbrae and Gylemuir as well. Went on to Craigmount High school and again we had a pretty good team but in manager speak we never really fulfilled our potential.
Also played for Tall Oaks under Ian Mackay - that was an experience lol.
Happy days indeed - playing football was the only thing I was interested in as a kid and weekends were brilliant - game on a Saturday game on a Sunday and games during the week as well.

JustSimplyHibs
07-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Played for Leith Walk prim. Adam Jackson (Darren Jackson's) old man was our coach.

No bad team from what i can remember, derby was against Abbeyhill, loved booting their wee forward (coach's order) who i then went onto high school with. Funniest moment has to be when our Goalkeeper leant against the wooden post and it snapped (he still gets reminded to this day about it lol) - got moved to pitch number 1 to finish the game.

Good old days!!:agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Hermitage Park. Whipping boys.

Jim44
07-09-2013, 09:09 AM
I played for Victoria Primary, Newhaven in the late 1950's. we had one or two really good players, who went on to play at a decent level.......... I was one of the also rans.

Ps. I think Peter Cormack was a couple of years above me.

SmashinGlass
07-09-2013, 09:19 AM
St Mark's, we were brutal. Only 7 laddies in our class.

That was my school too. Was there 85-92. When were you there?

I remember my school football days with painful memories of being the whipping boys. I played in goals despite being the smallest player in the class. Nobody else wanted to.

PeeJay
07-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Played wing half for Burdiehouse - scored decisive goal in 5-3 victory semi-final of Inspector's Cup of 1968/69 at Warriston :greengrin - seem to remember a huge crowd watching us. By the time of the final we had all moved on to secondary (Gracemount) so we had to have special permission to return to the primary school and play in the final (at Warriston again) where we were mighty unlucky to be beaten 2-1 - it was heartbreak and tears all round! We than were allowed to attend the primary School assembly to be ceremoniously awarded our 1968/69 runner-up medals - we felt like heroes returning to the school that day as "secondary pupils" - a great feeling, but we were all so sad that we had been beaten - in some ways it's been all downhilll ever since ... BH school has now been demolished too, I believe ....

johnbc70
07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Won the Hamilton Cup with St Peters at Meggatland, must have been around 1985 I reckon. Does the Hamilton Cup still exist I wonder? Was my one and only football medal and I lost it years ago :boo hoo:

Bostonhibby
07-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Brunstane Primary, won quite a few cup finals at Warriston in the late 60's early 70's - they used to "parade" them round the scheme afterwards on the mobile chip bus or a lorry depending on what was available.

Leishy1995
07-09-2013, 09:39 AM
I was no where near the primary team. Played in p7 but p6 was impossible, Jason holt played and so did Murray christie, both were at hearts after a couple years.

Cauld Bovril
07-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Done the league and cup double at Craigentinny with a right bunch of toerags. Looking at the old team photo, it now kind of reads like junkie, junkie, in jail, jakie, etc.
Went on to play for Leith Academy when it was more of a rugby school and won the league. A good few of that team went on to play professionally, no me though :confused:

Wembley67
07-09-2013, 09:47 AM
My clermiston team was cracking won the epssa the league and all surrounding gala comps but then went to royal high where football wasn't high on the agenda as they're all egg chasers!

Still a decent enough team woody, everyone just discovered the 'finer' things in life :cb

gogsy23
07-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Paradykes primary in loanhead. Had an amazing team,pick of the bunch was gary naismith.

There were others with more potential but never made it. Always had good local games too.

KeithTheHibby
07-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Won the Calder Shield and C league back in 1983 and the A league in 1985 for Carrick Knowe. In 1985 we went the entire season winning every match apart from one, a 3-3 draw with East Craigs.

We were pretty much the Barcelona of primary school fitba.:greengrin

A certain Chris Jackson was our captain, even back then you could tell he was some player.

hibbycha
07-09-2013, 09:58 AM
st john vianney won the edpssa cup beating fernieside in the final 5-4... ahhhhhh great days.. 1979-80 season

Sylar
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
We (Windyknowe) were the best primary school team in all of West Lothian, regularly beating all the other schools around us.

As young kids, we weren't allowed on to the big pitches so from P1 to P5, we all played together using a tennis ball on the netball pitches with bags/jumpers for goalposts. By the time we hit P6 and P7, our team was technically very good on the ball and we won a lot more than we lost.

Our best outfield player at that time was one of the best in the county and I knew he'd go on to play football - he was tricky, quick, strong and could score goals for fun - safe to say I was then somewhat surprised the first time I seen Jamie MacDonald playing in goals :greengrin

Dav1986
07-09-2013, 10:14 AM
St Mary's Edinburgh was my school. We lost semi final or epsa cup to newcraighall in 96/97. My first start and also my first goal put us 3-2 up but we ended up losing 4-3. Huge crowd watching us that day. Felt like a superstar the next few days at school. Lost leith cup final that season too. Had a decent team with someone that went onto hearts then raith and Cristophe Berra playing left back aswell that year.

NAE NOOKIE
07-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Dinnae get me started.

After leaving Leith to come to the Borders I ( in my opinion ) would have been a shoe in for the primary team, but when primary 7 came around I was shunted up to the high school after primary 6 due to some admin error when I first joined the primary, so I never got to do P7 and never got to play for the team, who were pretty decent as I recall.

I cant have been too bad coz I got to represent the town in the annual one off heated derby against the next town over a year or so later. Not as grand as it sounds we won about 8 - 1 or something, coz the next town over was about half the size :greengrin I still remember our coach that year though Jo Jo Dougal, who played for Leithen Rovers and was a cross between Pat Stanton & Franz Beckenbauer.

Coz the high school was an egg chasing one we didnt have a team, but most of the lads played for Peebles Thistle, though to be honest I wasnt a huge hit with them. Me & my mates also had a 5 a side team and got to the dizzy hights of the CO-OP 5s final in Galashiels one year.

Actually, anybody who went to Peebles High will remember the two ( or was it 3 ) pristine rugby pitches and the rubbish football pitch, where if you had a shot from the half way line and the ball never rose an inch above the hight it started it would have went about 6 feet over the bar.

Ah school days ................. hated every ****ing minute.

Iggy Pope
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Not early 70s they weren't.
I went to St Pats and we couldn't get near them.

Best we done was an EPSSA cup semi final and we got pumped by Burdiehoose.

Also finalists in the first ever Meadows Festival 5 a side competition (1975), runners up to Preston Street. I still have my medal :greengrin

greenpaper55
07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Bonnington Road primary it was for me, never remember playing when it was warm especially at hawkhill when i used to try not to head the wet football or your neck got shortened by a few inches !.there were a few dodgy away games and the worst was at Dr Guthries which was at the back of beyond and you were lucky if your gear was still there after the game.

Miguel
07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
St Francis in Niddrie/Craigmillar. 'Big' team played in blue and 'wee' one in maroon! Played at Peffermill on the hill leading up to Craigmillar Castle. Pitch felt like it would slide off! The old dimpled 'Molemeister' ball giving you a sore one on a frosty Saturday morning.

Forza Fred
07-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Done the league and cup double at Craigentinny with a right bunch of toerags. Looking at the old team photo, it now kind of reads like junkie, junkie, in jail, jakie, etc.
Went on to play for Leith Academy when it was more of a rugby school and won the league. A good few of that team went on to play professionally, no me though :confused:

Looked like we took the same path through early life.

I played for Craigentinny primary in the very early 60's before moving to the rugger playing Leith Academy.

Not a great side but I do remember making the semi final of the Fun City cup where we got humped 5-0 in midweek at Portobello, behind some lemonade factory. by St John Vianney I think.

That feat got us invited to a 'dinner' at the Seaview Hotel in Porty, where two hertz players were in attendance..Billy Higgins and Gordon Marshall.

The cup got passed around for everyone to have a drink out o fit, but by the time it reached our table I think everybody had gobbed in it well and truly, so I was wise enough to not to drink from it....

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Played for Leith Walk prim. Adam Jackson (Darren Jackson's) old man was our coach.

Me too, must've been round about 80-82, Billy Kirkwood (no not that one) then took over.

Went onto Drummond, we got barred from the league for fighting with WHEC!

micka_weer
07-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Galston primary in Ayrshire, can't remember how good we were, just that I fresh aired the ball and got booked in my first p7 game :-)

Haymaker
07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
My primary and secondary schools never really had a team for any sport. It would be announced during PE on the monday that we had a game Thursday and anyone who turned up would play. As far as I am aware it hasnt changed.

Had one lad who signed for Millwall but busted his knee early doors and was released.

AndyB_70
07-09-2013, 01:03 PM
wardie had a great side in the 79 - 80 season. undefeated all season and won the mackie shield, 4 - 1 against fort at warriston. all green strips as well! :).

Only game Fort lost all season. We were gutted and a little bit of in fighting after the game. We won another couple of cups that year as well. Hope you chocked on your champagne ;o)

1068gary
07-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Played for Sciennes and won the Meggetland league in 1972. We were presented with our medals by a professional football friend of our teacher/manager. Big let down when I discovered the big name was "Donald Ford"!

keep the faith
07-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Not against my st margarets primary team in the late 70s. I once came on as a half time sub against them and I still took centre 9 times!!!:-)

JustSimplyHibs
07-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Me too, must've been round about 80-82, Billy Kirkwood (no not that one) then took over.

Went onto Drummond, we got barred from the league for fighting with WHEC!

I was late 80s, 86-88/89. Our school janny gave Adam a hand coaching, pretty sure the head teacher (McLean) was involved somewhere along the line. Went onto Drummond as well, weren't allowed a school team for the same reason, we weren't even allowed on school trips! :(

Mon Dieu4
07-09-2013, 01:16 PM
At Bonnington primary we had a great team, lots of really good players,

At secondary at Trinity Academy we weren't allowed a football team, weren't even really allowed to do football for P.E. either, one of the times we did a teacher accused one of us of pissing against the side wall of the pitch, even when the woman who's dog did it told him it was the dog we still weren't allowed to play fitba again

We got made to play Basketball instead, well until the teacher was out the room and we shattered a window, we came up with the master plan to keep playing like nothing happened, he noticed and sat us all down but the first rule of window smashing club is that there is no window smashing club, we kept quiet.

So we weren't allowed to play football or Basketball, they tried table tennis until we realised that if you smash a table tennis ball at someone it stings like **** and leaves a perfect red mark on them.

So mostly we sat watching instructional P.E. videos most lessons as no one could get hurt or break anything:na na:

Viva_Palmeiras
07-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Stockbridge primary, woolly jumpers and hippies= crap team. But still loved playing even though we got hammered all the time
Musta been in the same team as me or the trend continues post '82 :(

ginger_rice
07-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I went to St Mary's in the Raploch in Stirling, the school always had good teams but that was back in the 60s when 22 laddies including both goalies chased after the ball!! My year the school team was very hard to get in to as there were quite a number of good players, many played amateur after leaving school and one lad Andy Kennedy ended up top scorer for Stirling Albion even played at Easter Road for them.

JohnStephens91
07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Tollcross was my primary school, because of temper issues my head teacher wouldn't allow me to play until I was in P7 after we had a tournament type thing at Peffermill and I scored a few goals and didn't get angry on the pitch. I scored three goals in a cup game to put us through, then the next game was a derby against Bruntsfield and I scored four goals. I scored a few more before being my exploits in the school saw me getting expelled and I then moved to Bruntsfield who were actually very good. The Tollcross team were alright, nothing special, they just had a temper tantrum prone striker knocking the ball in the net.

Bruntsfield was decent, I got in an argument on the pitch on my debut against the other derby rivals of James Gillespie's primary, I scored 8 goals in a few games for them and then the last game was against James Gillespie's where I just turned round and hacked someone after he had passed the ball, we'd later go on to become friends too :greengrin scored in that game even though we lost 5-4. All in all a profitable year for me.

BarneyBreslin
07-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Flora Stevenson, no bad team including a certain Darren Dodds. Unfortunately a very good Davidson Mains meant we were always the bridesmaid.

LongshanksED
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Played for inchview primary which no longer exists. 'twas a tad rough in west pilton in mid to late 80s

Scored on my debut at inverleith park when a corner bounced infront of me and hit my knee. Was was 7/8 up by that point anyway.

Rest of season is a blur but I remember we got to two finals and lost both but we won the league. Didn't play in either final at warriston playing fields.

Pedantic_Hibee
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I once scored 8 in an 11v11 draw in my younger days. Then I missed a spotkick in the penalty shooutout and was made the scapegoat. Ruthless b@***rds.

BT58
07-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey miguel,,i played for Peffermill primary
We played on the same pitch (slope was a lot worse than ER slope)
1968-1970
I actually scored from a corner using the slope to my advantage
Bt

JohnStephens91
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
I once scored 8 in an 11v11 draw in my younger days. Then I missed a spotkick in the penalty shooutout and was made the scapegoat. Ruthless b@***rds.

Did you play for Hibs at Easter Road? :wink:

Andy74
07-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Flora Stevenson, no bad team including a certain Darren Dodds. Unfortunately a very good Davidson Mains meant we were always the bridesmaid.

Yep. D Mains were the team to beat for us too. I was at Holy Cross. In P7 we lost 2 games all season. League decider v D Mains and Warriston Cup Final v D Mains!

Miguel
07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Hey miguel,,i played for Peffermill primary
We played on the same pitch (slope was a lot worse than ER slope)
1968-1970
I actually scored from a corner using the slope to my advantage
Bt

Think I missed you by a few years. I made my debut there (against Peffy) in 1970 I think P6s, but I was P5 at the time. Had a few great games up there. Thing with the slope was that it was across the way. Funnily enough I scored from a corner, although at the bottom end of the slope, against Craigmillar in the Inspector's Cup (we lost). Peffy used to have white tops, didn't they and a gold and black strip too. Lived in Niddrie at the time.

IWasThere2016
07-09-2013, 03:26 PM
I first played for my PS team - mostly P7s - when I was in P4. I was a Gerd Muller type back then.

cad
07-09-2013, 03:31 PM
We won a cup got a photo in the Leith whatever it was and thought we were half decent at Holycross till we played St Marys and Bonnington in a couple of games .A guy who became a great pal was a midget at St Marys lashed one from 30 yards past me in a 9-0 drubbing,
which was a great talent for a 3ft 5 guy and a mould master ball ,still have to cross the road to give him a body swerve OK Fonzi.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I played for Trinity Primary around 2005/06, joined in when i was in p6. Decent team but took a few hammerings to be fair. I played upfront and scored 2 against Holly Cross at Wardie on my debut. But seriously, we had about 4 good players but it was good fun! I also remember us loosing both Leavers Cups!

allezsauzee
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I played for Murrayburn 1981-1983. We played in Man United strips but that's where the likeness ended. Bizarrely, our manager never let the full backs cross the half way line or stray from the flanks but was happy for the centre halves to charge up the field. The opposition centre forwards wouldnt have believed their luck.

Ozyhibby
07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Played for Holy Cross in 81-82. Seemed to win most weeks but I don't remember any cups etc.
Current Inspectors Cup champs are Stewart Melvilles who smashed St.Marys in the final 9-0.

hibbymick
07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Not against my st margarets primary team in the late 70s. I once came on as a half time sub against them and I still took centre 9 times!!!:-)

I'm guessing your team was rank :greengrin

JoeTortolanoFanClub
07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Rock hard plastic Mitre footballs and losing 4-0 to Foxcovert in the 1977 School Board Cup final is about as much as I remember playing for Corstorphine.

wookie70
07-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I went to Royal High Primary where egg chasing and basketball were far higher on the sporting agenda for a long time. That was until ex Hibs Keeper Jim McArthur started as PE teacher. He took the team and we played a few matches here and there. The only thing I can remember is not winning much and Jim driving the mini bus down from a game in Niddrie and crashing just outside Holyrood School. He was a really good guy and I was always surprised he went into the ruthless world of being a football agent.

HibbyAndy
07-09-2013, 05:28 PM
played for Burdiehouse primary mid 80's...Won everything that was going.

Went to England to play in the Reebok tournament competing against 20 odd other teams and pished that aswell.

Speedy
07-09-2013, 05:32 PM
My primary school team was terrible. I played right back in p6 and in goals in p7 when our keeper went to high school.

YehButNoBut
07-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Played for Drylaw primary in the late 60's early 70's we had some good players but can't remember winning anything. Moved to Ainslie Park High and had a great side winning the league 3 year in a row,being unbeaten one year, we also got to Cup Final 3 times and lost them all(bit like Hibs). Also coached St Ninnians primary for a little while with ex Hearts goalie John Brough.

GREEN WARLORD
07-09-2013, 06:22 PM
I was the first girl to play for a primary school team. The people incharge at the time were making a big fuss about girls playing in case we got hurt bla bla bla and it made the newspaper. They eventually allowed it. Funny thing is that I was a better player than most of the boys in my team at St Ninians!

Probably not.

Our team was Woodburn Primary (Dalkeith), which was a decent team but not world beaters. We were coached by our janitor, Mr Nickelson and were regularly in the quarters or semis of cups. We played the team from Gorebridge Primary who had a girl in their team, so that was probably about 1982/3ish. I have to say, she wasn't too bad for a girl :greengrin. Our best player was a guy called Davie Maxwell, a solid midfielder with great vision, who was then picked for the Midlothian Schools team, along with Kevin Twaddle from Danderhall Primary. I have no doubt that Mr Maxwell could have made it as a professional player (simply because even Twaddle couldn't lace his boots) but he had his heart set on joining the Army and went down that career path instead.

Yuillsy
07-09-2013, 06:27 PM

Went to England to play in the Reebok tournament competing against 20 odd other teams and pished that aswell.

I went to Burdie then as well. You must've been a couple of years ahead of me because by the time I was in P7 we were pretty pish!

JimBHibees
07-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Played for St Catherines in Gracemount and we won the EPSAA Cup and Craigour shield about 1973/74, great days.

O'Rourke3
07-09-2013, 06:39 PM
I can go back earlier than my fellow Towerbank pupil. A dad started the football team up around late Primary 5 for us so played schools football for 3 years 70-73. The red blaize pitch Sauzee 4 played on was a bottle/rock strewn gap site until P7. However 4 games could be played simultaneously up and down......but I digress......
Home games played on the pitches at the Porty Golf Course so the pitch sloped heavily across the way rather than between goals. I was never able to remove the imprint/stain of the mitre mouldmaster from my shorts which I received right in the erchie ducking out the way of a clearance from our centre half. Those balls were evil. Team wasn't bad but never got beyond the 3rd round of any cup competition, if there was a league - no idea where we finished but we won more than we lost. Best moment was being watched by Alex Cropley who grew up next to those pitches in the Christians and getting a "well played". Only other memory scoring 2 in a 2-2 draw with Niddrie Primary who had a goalie called John Lumsden. He went on to play for Stoke City in the English First Division (when that was the top league) as a midfielder.

Thecat23
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
I mind playing in a game it was lashing it down and what felt like -20. The ball came to me and I really couldn't move I was so cold, so I booted it as hard as I could up the park. Sadly one of our players who chased after any lose ball like a drunk chasing a balloon, stepped in front of it.

Anyone who remembers the Mitre balls that were rock hard and had what I can only describe as goose pimples on it know getting in the road of it was a hazard. Poor wee Simon took it full in the nads. It got him that hard you could see the the last few letters of Mitre the "tre" printed top of his thigh.

Never heard a howl like it since!

One Day Soon
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Played for St Catherines in Gracemount and we won the EPSAA Cup and Craigour shield about 1973/74, great days.

I played for St Catherine's too, at left back, most home games on the pitches next to Dr Guthrie's at Liberton in 75/76. I remember watching you guys win the Cup - I think Danny McAleavey was the captain.

We played 26, lost 24, drew 1 and won 1. The draw was 2 each against St John Vianney's and the win (which was late in the season) was 3-2 against St Peter's. That win sparked epic dressing room celebrations particularly since they had a player wearing blue boots, which in those days was unheard of.

Our worst game was against Moredun at Fernieside where we lost 10-1 and then got a kicking in the showers afterwards. I always remember playing away up at Hyvots where the school had been condemned because it was falling apart and into the ground. That was always the coldest place to play.

What a fantastic strip St Catherine's had in those days, green and white quarter panels front and back. I often think it would make a great Hibs change strip. Mind you in the rain those kits were like wearing giant sponges.

At St Augustine's I played left-mid and in my first game at Arboretum I broke two opposition player's legs in two challenges. Completely unintentional and didn't have the heart for it after that.

One Day Soon
07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
I mind playing in a game it was lashing it down and what felt like -20. The ball came to me and I really couldn't move I was so cold, so I booted it as hard as I could up the park. Sadly one of our players who chased after any lose ball like a drunk chasing a balloon, stepped in front of it.

Anyone who remembers the Mitre balls that were rock hard and had what I can only describe as goose pimples on it know getting in the road of it was a hazard. Poor wee Simon took it full in the nads. It got him that hard you could see the the last few letters of Mitre the "tre" printed top of his thigh.

Never heard a howl like it since!

Those Mitre balls were mental. Like spherical bricks.

Miguel
07-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I went to Royal High Primary where egg chasing and basketball were far higher on the sporting agenda for a long time. That was until ex Hibs Keeper Jim McArthur started as PE teacher. He took the team and we played a few matches here and there. The only thing I can remember is not winning much and Jim driving the mini bus down from a game in Niddrie and crashing just outside Holyrood School. He was a really good guy and I was always surprised he went into the ruthless world of being a football agent.

I was a parent coach at Royal High for eight years for both my laddie's teams. Both were really good teams, although only the second one got any distance in the cups (semi in Inspectors and finals in Scottish). The only senior player to emerge was Billy King at Hearts. But they were a great bunch of lads.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-09-2013, 07:26 PM

I made the mistake of trying to control a cross with my chest on a pishing doon, freezing cold day, lesson learned!

hibby67
07-09-2013, 07:42 PM
played for Royston primary around 77 only thing i can remember was playing our home games at pilton park and it being the coldest place in the world
was played at left back which i hated... (happy days)....:greengrin

Thecat23
07-09-2013, 07:48 PM

No idea why we didnt play with the normal ones but they were torture!

NOLA
07-09-2013, 07:54 PM
St Marys york place lane, took some tankings from stockbridge but gave some to flora stevensons :greengrin scored my only goal against them by pushing my teammate out the way :tsk tsk::cb

Yuillsy
07-09-2013, 08:06 PM

My old man bought me 1 for my birthday 1 year. His theory was it would last longer on the concrete square outside my house. I had many fine hours booting it off a wall by myself because nobody would play with the ****ing thing!!!!!!!

iainm
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
My school was Stobhill Primary in Gorebridge. A small school, but even then I could never get near the first eleven

The finest achievement in my era was when the school won a five a side tournament in 1975. I think it was called the 'Cameron Cup'. I wasn't in the team but my mates were, and the celebrations when they came back are still really fresh in my mind - filling the cup with Hendry's red kola and passing it round!! Great times!!

The Baldmans Comb
07-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I played for Murrayburn and can always this wee 7 year old watching us play and taking an active and impressive part in the warm ups before the teacher chased him off the pitch.

I mind thinking at the time that he was a player of the future. Turned out well enough for him as Calum Milne went onto to play for Hibs and was decent enough but always thought he might have gone further.

Aldo
07-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Bankton Primary School in Dedridge, Livingston in 80 &81. The ball we mainly used.... Was yes the Mitre Mouldmaster... Orange in colour.

I remember it being freezing, the ball being rock hard and it had dimples. It smacked me on thigh and it left the dimples on ma leg. God it was sair.

Something like this I think

Love the Green
07-09-2013, 09:06 PM

Cousin knox here which woody are you.

"keep the faith"

:flag:

shetlandhibee
07-09-2013, 09:27 PM
I went to primary school in shetland, at sound school and we didnt have an school team till p7, even though we played every day at school, so we only played in 1 tournment and got to the final but lost 2-1. 3 years ago I moved to down Aberdeen and now I go to cults academy. I played in s1 team and we won the Aberdeen school league. In S2 I couldn't trial because broke my foot by falling out a tree in Shetland:( and I got in this year plus I trialled for the Aberdeen district team and I've not found out yet if I'll get in or not.

monktonharp
07-09-2013, 09:56 PM
St Francis in Niddrie/Craigmillar. 'Big' team played in blue and 'wee' one in maroon! Played at Peffermill on the hill leading up to Craigmillar Castle. Pitch felt like it would slide off! The old dimpled 'Molemeister' ball giving you a sore one on a frosty Saturday morning.remember that pitch well! we played there dozens o' times. Newcraighall primary, and we ALWAYS won the craigmillar cup/league. st franny's peffie/niddrie/craigmillar /towerbank/st johns we always skelped yez:greengrin also won the epssa cup against glenvarlock. Even there ma's were spittin' oan us as we went up for that cup, made it all the better:greengrin downside, we played in the auld hertz strip, v neck short sleeved and at castlebrae on a cald morning was sair! :greengrin

The Harp
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM

Our home pitch was actually in our playground which was an advantage and we were quite good. St.Cuthberts used to sneak a win once or twice but that was about it. We won the league in 1986 and Gary Mackay was supposed to present us with our medals but he didn't turn up. I don't actually remember ever receiving a medal so the **** probably knicked them.

Ah, good old St. Cuthbert's.:aok: When I was there, although within smelling distance of Tynecastle, almost all the kids with an interest in football were Hibees. It was so long ago Gary Mackay hadn't been born.

monktonharp
07-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Ah, good old St. Cuthbert's.:aok: When I was there, although within smelling distance of Tynecastle, almost all the kids with an interest in football were Hibees. It was so long ago Gary Mackay hadn't been born. did not realise st cuthberts was in that area. that year we won the epssa, I do recall we beat st C in the semi, 2 nil and I scored both:greengrin. as for McKay, he did present my laddie with a medal, at the jewel club, Edina Hibs but that was well over 20 yrs ago.

hibbymick
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I went to primary school in shetland, at sound school and we didnt have an school team till p7, even though we played every day at school, so we only played in 1 tournment and got to the final but lost 2-1. 3 years ago I moved to down Aberdeen and now I go to cults academy. I played in s1 team and we won the Aberdeen school league. In S2 I couldn't trial because broke my foot by falling out a tree in Shetland:( and I got in this year plus I trialled for the Aberdeen district team and I've not found out yet if I'll get in or not.

I played for the hydro team in shetland :agree:

Purple & Green
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Lass wade primary, who played in Hibs change strips of the time of purple and white sleeves - we got new strips in my time of purple with a white diagonal stripe. Would make an awesome Hibs away strip.

I played on the right hand side from time to time and I remember my first touch in primary school football making contact with a hopefield primary players thigh and drawing blood. Sat beside him at maths at high school as it turned out.

We were reasonable locally at 11s, but hawthornden always had an edge on us. Invincible for years in the annual fives tournament at lass wade high though.

Miguel
07-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Would be good if someone had a list of winners of the Inspector's/School Board and EPSSA cups. Mind auld Jim Goodwillie, who ran the tournaments, telling me the Inspector's was one of the oldest football trophies in the World. Went back to 1890s.

Steve-O
08-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Was at Duddingston and we had a good team, as were the teams a bit older than my year - the team 2 years ahead of me won the Inspectors Cup and I vaguely remember going to watch. Would've been early 90s.

Remember good local rivalry with St Johns, Royal High, Parsons Green, Abbeyhill and Craigmillar.

Memory might be playing tricks but I think my last ever game in P7 was winning the School Board Cup v Royal High. Final was at Duddingston, would've been 1993.

I'm_cabbaged
08-09-2013, 08:31 AM
That was my school too. Was there 85-92. When were you there?

I remember my school football days with painful memories of being the whipping boys. I played in goals despite being the smallest player in the class. Nobody else wanted to.

I left school the same year as you started :-)
We were whipping boys as well but we did win the derby against hunters tryst, I scored and got a doin after it for my troubles.:(

NGP
08-09-2013, 08:47 AM
I went to Silverknowes. Great team late 70s. P5 won the Mackie Shield Vs Granton, then we won the Leith Cup 2 years running in P 6 & 7, Vs St Marys (3-2 after being 2-0 down) then Fort (4-1). I was the goalie. High scool team, Craigroyston, never won anything.

greenginger
08-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Was at Duddingston and we had a good team, as were the teams a bit older than my year - the team 2 years ahead of me won the Inspectors Cup and I vaguely remember going to watch. Would've been early 90s.

Remember good local rivalry with St Johns, Royal High, Parsons Green, Abbeyhill and Craigmillar.

Memory might be playing tricks but I think my last ever game in P7 was winning the School Board Cup v Royal High. Final was at Duddingston, would've been 1993.

Was at Duddingston too, but back in the fifties when it first opened. I played for the team for 3 years IIRC so there could'nt have been many players. I think we lost more than we won.
I remember going up to St Cuthberts in the Inspectors Cup 1959/60 ish, and getting humped 5 - 0.

One Day
08-09-2013, 08:58 AM
St Marys york place lane, took some tankings from stockbridge but gave some to flora stevensons :greengrin scored my only goal against them by pushing my teammate out the way :tsk tsk::cb

What years were you there, I was at st marys 1962 to 1969

bigwheel
08-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Primary school football....all lining up outside the penalty box when you realised the keeper struggled to kick the ball out. ;-)

Raymond
08-09-2013, 09:08 AM
St Patricks Primary for me, used to love the Headmaster coming into our class on a Friday afternoon to name the following days team and hand out the strips, we looked cool at home time walking along the road with our emerald green shirts around our shoulders and green shorts on our heads

Edina Erin
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Holy Cross around 81. Warriston or the BB pitches at Ferry Road for games.
We were lucky enough to be coached by Jimmy O'Rourke for a season - he was on the staff at Hibs at the time - happy days :-)

SonOfDavidFrancey
08-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Holy cross, 1971 - 2. I was in primary 7 but was a year young so got picked for the primary 6 team. Once. I was right back. Coach was the janitor. Half time we were 1-0 up. Second half he put his son on instead of me. Lost 8-1. I was dropped and my career was over.

Thinking back now (and my senior primary days were just after celtic's European cup win) I can't believe how few of the boys supported hibs. Maybe 3 or 4 out the whole class. Everyone had gone to Celtic. On rainy days when you had to go in the shelter and the singing would start it was al Celtic. Depressing really.

Keith_M
08-09-2013, 10:59 AM
I went to Wallyford Primary in the 70s. I had some trouble getting the Gym Teacher to give me a game for the school team (he preferred his favourites) but he finally relented just before we all moved to High School.

My only skills were running REALLY fast with the ball and I could drop it right on someone's head practically from the corner flag... so he played me at Centre Half. I think he was related to Pat Fenlon :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Spent many a long summers day playing football on the grassy area @ St Cuthberts in my youth. Hutchy v Moat, Eltringham etc, happy, happy days! :-)

edinburghhibee
08-09-2013, 12:11 PM
My Primary school team was abbeyhill as well, remember winning a few trophys when it was 7's and a couple of tourny's, don't think we were that successful in p6 + 7 when it was 11's, I played in goals for the 7's when I was in P6 as wasn't good enough for the 11's then I moved to Livingston so not sure how the team got on

If you we're born 87 you would have been in the year under me I would think. We did win a couple of 7's tourneys. It's gogs by the way I was in a class with gaz muir, gaz black, Stevie Duncan.

woody0-7
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Cousin knox here which woody are you.

"keep the faith"

:flag:
The "goalie" cousin knoxy :-)

Owain_1987
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
My school team was really good although it should be pointed out I did not get much of a game, we managed to even get to a schools cup final and played before a league final at Wembley. This was a school in Oxford I should point out and not in Edinburgh, we did have Dexter Blackstock playing and he's done no bad for himself. We also had a player called Eric Odhiambo who played for Inverness and Dundee United and scored against the Huns. :flag:

leithsansiro
08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Even as an adult, I can still remember the feelings of excitement that I used to get at primary school when the team for the Saturday game was pinned up on the notice board. Never got picked for the A team, but got a handful of games for the B side at Gylemuir. Got all enthusiastic for my debut at centre forward against Broomhouse, only the game to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch after we were all booted up :(

All these memories are awesome though. That said, why the hell we we all expected to play in full size pitches and goals at the age of 10? I'd be struggling to run the length of it!

Iggy Pope
08-09-2013, 03:39 PM
St Patricks Primary for me, used to love the Headmaster coming into our class on a Friday afternoon to name the following days team and hand out the strips, we looked cool at home time walking along the road with our emerald green shirts around our shoulders and green shorts on our heads

I would've wore one of those strips 4 years before you! Feelings of nostalgia walking down Drummond Street these days.

Sprouleflyer
08-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Played in the Flora Stevenson team that done a Hearts by losing the league and cup in a space of a week. Lost the league by drawing 2-2 when a win would have given us the title. 2-1 up and we gave away a penalty.... Gutted as we deserved the league that year! Next week lost the Inspectors Cup final 4-3 when winning 3-1. Pretty sure we lost to Stenhouse..?

Ceebs
08-09-2013, 05:28 PM
St Ninians for me, remember the good old days playing at Warriston, great pitches. The team coach at that time a certain M's Gorman, great memories.

Hibrandenburg
08-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I went to Wallyford Primary in the 70s. I had some trouble getting the Gym Teacher to give me a game for the school team (he preferred his favourites) but he finally relented just before we all moved to High School.

My only skills were running REALLY fast with the ball and I could drop it right on someone's head practically from the corner flag... so he played me at Centre Half. I think he was related to Pat Fenlon :wink:

Can't remember having a gym teacher at Wallyford instead I recall Mr Adams the janny taking the training sessions. Although I have to agree that it was fairly cliquey and only kids who's dad could batter Mr Adams would get in the team. Think most of the first team went on to illustrious careers with the HMP Saughton side.

Keith_M
08-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Can't remember having a gym teacher at Wallyford instead I recall Mr Adams the janny taking the training sessions. Although I have to agree that it was fairly cliquey and only kids who's dad could batter Mr Adams would get in the team. Think most of the first team went on to illustrious careers with the HMP Saughton side.

Well, I didn't want to mention you by name but, yep, you're Dad was bigger than mine. :wink:

For a very short while before I left for Secondary, we had a Mr Fruish (sp), from the MGS, taking training and such like. Hadn't you moved away by P7 or is my memory playing tricks again?

Thanks for reminding me abut Mr Adams, I'd forgotten about him. He was cool, but I didn't like his successor much (Mr Coutts?)

Hibrandenburg
08-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, I didn't want to mention you by name but, yep, you're Dad was bigger than mine. :wink:

For a very short while before I left for Secondary, we had a Mr Fruish (sp), from the MGS, taking training and such like. Hadn't you moved away by P7 or is my memory playing tricks again?

Thanks for reminding me abut Mr Adams, I'd forgotten about him. He was cool, but I didn't like his successor much (Mr Coutts?)

It was my mum everyone was scared of :greengrin

Think the janny in question was Mr Couch. Severe case of small man syndrome

Keith_M
08-09-2013, 05:53 PM
It was my mum everyone was scared of :greengrin

Yep, you can include me in that

:offski:

Think the janny in question was Mr Couch. Severe case of small man syndrome

That's the fella, cheers Paul :thumbsup:

Albanian Hibs
08-09-2013, 06:10 PM
St Ninians for me, remember the good old days playing at Warriston, great pitches. The team coach at that time a certain M's Gorman, great memories.

What an auld bitch she was :-)

MGmick
08-09-2013, 10:44 PM

The same Ms Gorman used to take the team at St John Vianney's. I was there from 66 to 71 and they had some pretty good teams, which I got nowhere near, during that time. Don't remember her being too much of a bitch and she was quite trim not "auld" but that was a good 20 years before you.

RyeSloan
08-09-2013, 10:57 PM

Great memories of Ms Gorman....jeez you must be in a pretty unique club!

To this day I'm convinced Roald Dahl based the Trunchbull on her!

HiBremian
09-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Played inside left for James Gillespie's in the late 60's. We were usually pish, but I remember my big brother captaining the only JG team to win the league in that era, maybe 1967 or 1968. We played up in Liberton against the likes of St John Vianney and Burdiehoose. Remember developing the Peter Cormack slide tackle from behind on these wet, muddy Saturday mornings, run towards the guy with the ball, slide feet first from behind, then hook the foot round the ball. Hardly ever worked, but hey, it looked cool :-)

soupy
09-09-2013, 06:13 AM

Haha, I was waiting to see what shect you were gonna write. :-)

gorgie greens
09-09-2013, 06:24 AM
went to stenhouse primary school,team were kack,remember going to Carrick knowe and balgreen n beating them only because we kicked lumps out of them before,during and after those games,we were bad at football but had a few nutters in our team.

Baker9
09-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Our biggest challenge at Pennywell Primary in West Pilton was not talent - we had plenty of good fotballers in classes of 50+ (1958). In our first game we had 3 boys with football boots and the rest of us in everyday shoes / rubbers, even sandals. Mr Dawson had got hold of old rugby strips from Fettes - green and red quarters. Can't remember the score but we developed into a decent team as the season went on. I remember playing at Warriston and it seemed like Hampden. It was against either Fort or Hermiston in a cup and we lost by the odd goal. Our local derby against Craigmuir had everything both on and off the field and our lesser derby against St David's was too easy.

Bill Milne
09-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I played for Craigmillar around 1965-67 and we were pretty garbage. I only remember us winning one game, which was at Craigentinny (11-2) where we were chased to Porty power station after the game before we caught our bus. I remember the crazy pitches at Peffermill, where you could shoot in a straight line from the top wing and see your shot go well over the goalies head.

Oscar T Grouch
09-09-2013, 09:06 AM
I went to St John's 78-84. Ted Brack was the headteacher at the time. Pretty sure we had a decent team back then, Paul Telfer (Coventry, Celtic) played for the team, think he was the year above me. I hated school with a passion and have erased most of my memories of it, I was also a big fat uncoordinated barsteward so was never near any team apart fi the tug-o-war on sports days.

Backto my roots
09-09-2013, 09:21 AM

I went to St Ninians as well and she was mental.

She refused to let any of the Dad's take the fitba team and based her tactics on the famous 5 which in the 80's didn't really work. We had 5 up front who stayed up front and 2 at the back. I played at the back and it felt like O'Rourke's drift at times!

Miguel
09-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I played for Craigmillar around 1965-67 and we were pretty garbage. I only remember us winning one game, which was at Craigentinny (11-2) where we were chased to Porty power station after the game before we caught our bus. I remember the crazy pitches at Peffermill, where you could shoot in a straight line from the top wing and see your shot go well over the goalies head.
I got chased from Craientinny too while playing for St Francis - and that was after we'd lost!!

Cauld Bovril
09-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Looked like we took the same path through early life.

I played for Craigentinny primary in the very early 60's before moving to the rugger playing Leith Academy.

Not a great side but I do remember making the semi final of the Fun City cup where we got humped 5-0 in midweek at Portobello, behind some lemonade factory. by St John Vianney I think.

That feat got us invited to a 'dinner' at the Seaview Hotel in Porty, where two hertz players were in attendance..Billy Higgins and Gordon Marshall.

The cup got passed around for everyone to have a drink out o fit, but by the time it reached our table I think everybody had gobbed in it well and truly, so I was wise enough to not to drink from it....

:aok: My path certainly never got as far as Oz though :greengrin I`m still in Craigentinny and my boy has just started playing for the school team.

aussie_hibee
09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I was at Royston primary school from 84-91. In and out of the school team (thanks to a problem with authority that still follows me to this day!!!) that pretty much wiped the floor with everything in front of it. Although I never once played the entire season, I think I'm one of the only players still playing at a relatively good level (semi pro in Oz)
Some of the boys were class and stopped playing in their early 20s.

silverhibee
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Muirhouse primary for me, had a good team in the day and had a few good tussle's with Silverknowes which was our local derby game, crazy stuff at times, Scott Nisbet played for Silverknowes and Mark Currie who got a contract at Hibs played for Muirhouse.

andudare2
09-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I went to St John's 78-84. Ted Brack was the headteacher at the time. Pretty sure we had a decent team back then, Paul Telfer (Coventry, Celtic) played for the team, think he was the year above me. I hated school with a passion and have erased most of my memories of it, I was also a big fat uncoordinated barsteward so was never near any team apart fi the tug-o-war on sports days.my youngest bro played in team you speak of,also chris reid (hibs) was the keeper for that team,sure they shared the title with duddingston that season. i also played for st.johns,same time as monktonharp speaks of,his team were good,st johns then for some strange reason which i cant reacall moved to the warriston league,our team were first to play in this for st john,s shared st bernards sheild with st.pats,think teams from st.johns who followed won few titles&cups. then came ted brack era for my son,s team,excellent side of which a few eventually went senior,including my son. oldest grandson then went to st johns, games had become 7 a side,s then with the smaller parks&goals,seemed to work for them as they won everything in site including school board cup& shared inspectors cup,again with duddingston(these laddies were mainly p 6,grandson was p5.then following season they won inspectors cup outright. few of these laddies now playing for pro clubs at 19,s.20,s etc. including jordan sinclair at hibs,good prospect this boy. grandson playing for cowdens under 19,s only 16 though so have hopes for him. now just got the youngest one aged 7 to go see,sadly he wont be playing for st.johns though as he stays in tranent but has been the poster boy for their club so have hopes for him as well,showing lots of promise!!!!:flag::flag::flag:

monktonharp
09-09-2013, 11:13 PM
my youngest bro played in team you speak of,also chris reid (hibs) was the keeper for that team,sure they shared the title with duddingston that season. i also played for st.johns,same time as monktonharp speaks of,his team were good,st johns then for some strange reason which i cant reacall moved to the warriston league,our team were first to play in this for st john,s shared st bernards sheild with st.pats,think teams from st.johns who followed won few titles&cups. then came ted brack era for my son,s team,excellent side of which a few eventually went senior,including my son. oldest grandson then went to st johns, games had become 7 a side,s then with the smaller parks&goals,seemed to work for them as they won everything in site including school board cup& shared inspectors cup,again with duddingston(these laddies were mainly p 6,grandson was p5.then following season they won inspectors cup outright. few of these laddies now playing for pro clubs at 19,s.20,s etc. including jordan sinclair at hibs,good prospect this boy. grandson playing for cowdens under 19,s only 16 though so have hopes for him. now just got the youngest one aged 7 to go see,sadly he wont be playing for st.johns though as he stays in tranent but has been the poster boy for their club so have hopes for him as well,showing lots of promise!!!!:flag::flag::flag: hey Cha, just a wee reminder. NCH 10 v St Johns 2. go on the wee school.:wink:

vein
09-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Used to have to carry the goal posts up Arthur seat for Parsons green, the year after I left they moved the home games to Northfield, these youngsters dinnae ken how good they've got it!

On a side note its a sin that nowadays the big clubs like hibs, hearts etc sign up all the good youngsters and make them sign something to say they won't play school football, let kids run about and enjoy the game ffs.

And if the ball got kicked down the hill someone would need to leg it for some distance to get it back! That pitch is in a state now due to horses being allowed to trample across it, I remember it being like a bowling green when I was wee but its all full of divots now!

I couldnt get in the team for my year group. I think it was in P6 I got a trial game and was sent on as a sub to play left midfield, only problem was I didnt know my right from left so ran over to take my position on the wrong side :greengrin Still mind getting shouted at by one of the dads to get over the other side of the pitch, then probably didnt get a sniff of the ball for the rest of the game! Safe to say I never got invited back to play!

I did get to turn out for the P6's one or two times when I was in P7 but that was just in friendlies. Being rubbish at football (still am!)I didnt do anything of note for the team.

Around that time (91-92) Parsy had some good teams on the go and I can remember a few trophies being paraded at school assemblies. I think the year above me may have won the Inspectors Cup, that team included Scott Bannerman who made quite a few first team appearances for Hibs.

Parsy now play their home games down at Calvary park. My wee lad followed in his dads footsteps and is at Parsy too and I'm now one of the dads coaching his team. Its the parents that need to carry the goals over these days though, I dont think health and safety would allow the kids to carry them these days!

Couldn't agree more on your last paragraph btw.

tanfield
10-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Only game Fort lost all season. We were gutted and a little bit of in fighting after the game. We won another couple of cups that year as well. Hope you chocked on your champagne ;o)

mind your p6/p7 team also had a final that night. I the centre half in the days you played with a back 3. was marking Mark love who I think was on dunfermlines books as a goalkeeper.

Twa Cairpets
10-09-2013, 09:14 AM

I don't know if you mean ever or for your school, but I suspect given your DOB you're wrong if you mean ever.
Juniper Green had two girls playing when I was there - one in the year above team (coaches daughter), and one in my year. They were both very good. This would be around '75/'76.

As for our team, we were utter mince in my year. I remember our record was P10 W0 D0 L10 F8 A86 P0. Best result was a 4-6 defeat against Oxgangs. I was in goals that game and if I say so myself, was awesome. Three of the four defenders wore glasses during the game. That type of team.

I also got sent off against Riccarton in a 20-0 gubbing. Injustice it was.

ahibby
10-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I played for the Burgh School,Musselburgh around 1970. We weren't very good but got better as the season went on. We played against PrestonPans, Pinkie, Campie, Wallyford and Whitecraig. A draw away to Whitecraig was the highlight of our season::rolleyes: In the long run it was all the precursor to having quite a good secondary school team. Of course the secondary drew on the best from each primary school and while I was the only Hibby in the primary school team, the secondary team had more Hibbies than any other supported teams. The best players were Hibbies and they played for County. We made it to the Intermediate Shield and lost to Holyrood after the second replay 0-0, 2-2 then capitulated 5-1. Holyrood went on but took a heavy defeat to a team from Glasgow. I really enjoyed playing for the Burgh and Musselburgh and went on to play for the Army, Scottish Division and was offered a trial by Hearts, which I turned down. I played off and on for the best part of 35 years and finally gave up when I broke my leg for the one and only time aged 47 playing at the Pits in Porty.:greengrin Ah.

bronca
10-09-2013, 10:11 AM
My school team, Oxgangs Primary in the late 80's, were a middle to upper table outfit mostly made up of wee yams (whom I took it tight off during the John Robertson 'Hammer of the Hibs' era) One game we were 13-1 up (I think that was the score but I'm not 100% on that, it was over 10 anyway) at half time when we were playing Hunters Tryst Primary away. Their coach, the school's jannie, was going radge and refused to send them back out for the second half in fear of further humiliation!!

Ended up going to high school with some of the guys in their team who were decent players, don't know what happened to them that day! I remember feeling sorry for their goalie, a small dejected looking figure in the middle of the full size goals whose frustration and embarrassment was plain to see. We later became firm friends in high school and had a right laugh when we realised we had both played in that game...well, I laughed probably a bit more than he did :greengrin

Bayern Bru
10-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Won't name the school but we were rank. :agree:

No training, no designated home pitch (so it was usually Meggetland), maroon and white kits to begin with (:bitchy:) before getting new kits of green and purple (:aok:) and a yellow and black bumblebee away kit.

Ended up as the goalkeeper after no one else wanted to do it. Vividly remember defeats to the tune of 17-2, 15-1 and 11-1 prior to me going between the sticks.

Lasting memory is a game away to, I think, Hunter's Tryst, who were at the time about as bad as us, and one of my defenders actually caught the ball in the six yard box following a corner, giving away a penalty and ultimately losing us the game 2-1. :grr:

Remember playing outfield in one match during an injury crisis and scoring. I've never looked back since.

andudare2
10-09-2013, 10:28 AM
hey Cha, just a wee reminder. NCH 10 v St Johns 2. go on the wee school.:wink:lol,9 offside tho wullie :flag:

BSEJVT
10-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Played for Towerbank between 71 and 74

thing that really stands out in my mind is playing on the pitch at Craigmillar one day in the snow and the old leather ball getting that heavy that the goalie couldn't kick it out the box.

I was the right back and got to dribble it to the edge of the box where I was set upon by the waiting Niddrie hordes!

Ceebs
10-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Great memories of Ms Gorman....jeez you must be in a pretty unique club!

To this day I'm convinced Roald Dahl based the Trunchbull on her!

In truth she arrived at St Ninians in my final year, she was mad keen on football and other than school games I never had any other dealings if memory serves me!

Maybe I left for for secondary just in time :wink:

VPHIBEE
10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Any memories?

I was at Fox Covert in Clermiston in Primary 1 & 2, and although too young (and never good enough) to play for the school, I remember Mickey Weir scoring a goal where he put the ball round the goalie, jumped over him whilst he was sliding in and slotted it in the corner. Still one of my favourite Hibs Players to this day. Passion for the club personified!

kaisersmith
10-09-2013, 06:22 PM
In truth she arrived at St Ninians in my final year, she was mad keen on football and other than school games I never had any other dealings if memory serves me!

Maybe I left for for secondary just in time :wink:

She was a mad bitch...she eventually got banned from the sidelines!!

My st Ninians team didn't win a game for 2 years but in all fairness we were P4/5's playing against P7's for the a lot of that time. When we did win a game we were in the evening news, on STV and got a trip to McDonalds :) The head teacher of the school we beat, leith walk I think, wrote a letter of complaint to the our head teacher about all the press it had received!!!!

Ceebs
10-09-2013, 06:32 PM
She was a mad bitch...she eventually got banned from the sidelines!!

My st Ninians team didn't win a game for 2 years but in all fairness we were P4/5's playing against P7's for the a lot of that time. When we did win a game we were in the evening news, on STV and got a trip to McDonalds :) The head teacher of the school we beat, leith walk I think, wrote a letter of complaint to the our head teacher about all the press it had received!!!!

Lucky escape for me then :greengrin

Jonnyboy
10-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Glenvarloch-3 St Ninnians-2 EPSA Cup Final at Warriston.
About the only good time I can remember.
Came on as a Sub Goalkeeper and lost 1 goal in an 11-1 thumping up at the old pitches opposite Liberton Park.:rolleyes:

My old school though I never played football there

Stantons Angel
12-09-2013, 03:28 PM
I don't know if you mean ever or for your school, but I suspect given your DOB you're wrong if you mean ever.
Juniper Green had two girls playing when I was there - one in the year above team (coaches daughter), and one in my year. They were both very good. This would be around '75/'76.

As for our team, we were utter mince in my year. I remember our record was P10 W0 D0 L10 F8 A86 P0. Best result was a 4-6 defeat against Oxgangs. I was in goals that game and if I say so myself, was awesome. Three of the four defenders wore glasses during the game. That type of team.

I also got sent off against Riccarton in a 20-0 gubbing. Injustice it was.

Nowt much has changed then has it? Bet you got sent of for trying to referee the game! he he.

john18722
12-09-2013, 04:24 PM
I was at Royston primary school from 84-91. In and out of the school team (thanks to a problem with authority that still follows me to this day!!!) that pretty much wiped the floor with everything in front of it. Although I never once played the entire season, I think I'm one of the only players still playing at a relatively good level (semi pro in Oz)
Some of the boys were class and stopped playing in their early 20s.

I was at Flora Stevenson for exactly the same period playing in goals. We usually played at Wardie (Soccer Sevens) or on the full size pitches at Warriston. My main recollection of my time in primary school was pretty much gubbing everyone we played apart from Royston!

There were a few double figure wins against Blackhall and we had a pretty big rivarly with Parsons Green too.

Royston always beat us without fail. I do remember one game at Warriston where we are holding on to what we thought was a creditable 2-2 draw until your striker went clean through on me (goalie) twice and I brought him down both times for a penalty! My team mates weren't best pleased.

E10 Rifle
07-11-2013, 09:21 PM

It was 5-1 ;)

Spike Mandela
07-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Played for Murrayburn in the same team as Callum Milne and Paul Cherry. We lost the Inspectors Cup Final to Greendykes and a goal by a certain John Robertson. Little ******* has haunted me ever since.

jodjam
07-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Trinity didn't have one back then - we used to have to play with balls made out of old socks as no balls were allowed in the playground.

Happy days at trinity with the sock balls

vein
07-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Played for Murrayburn in the same team as Callum Milne and Paul Cherry. We lost the Inspectors Cup Final to Greendykes and a goal by a certain John Robertson. Little ******* has haunted me ever since.

Must have been Parson Green rather than greendykes. Robertson and dave bowman both played in that team.

spike220
07-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Very poor indeed, bee swarm formation, one of the dads was the coach, did not have a Scooby, picked all his sons mates for the team, we only trained twice a season.

CA Hibby
07-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Lass wade primary, who played in Hibs change strips of the time of purple and white sleeves - we got new strips in my time of purple with a white diagonal stripe. Would make an awesome Hibs away strip.

I played on the right hand side from time to time and I remember my first touch in primary school football making contact with a hopefield primary players thigh and drawing blood. Sat beside him at maths at high school as it turned out.

We were reasonable locally at 11s, but hawthornden always had an edge on us. Invincible for years in the annual fives tournament at lass wade high though.

What age, I went to Hawthornden before moving to Penicuik and we did win everything early 80's

Spike Mandela
07-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Must have been Parson Green rather than greendykes. Robertson and dave bowman both played in that team.

That rings a bell. Greendykes might have been the semi. The brain's getting befuddled.:cb

Is there an archive of Inspectors cup finals?

Thecat23
07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
I was at Moredun Primary, not longer there anymore. We won both the E.P.S.A Cup and Craigour Shield. Actually had a good side. Played Ratho in the final of the first one and Liberton in the second few days later. Liberton had a very good side!

hibseleven
07-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Mauricewood primary in Penicuik. We were woeful!! High school was much better. Beeslack against Peni High. Had a coupla good games against them.

SeanWilson
08-11-2013, 09:24 AM
My school team, Oxgangs Primary in the late 80's, were a middle to upper table outfit mostly made up of wee yams (whom I took it tight off during the John Robertson 'Hammer of the Hibs' era) One game we were 13-1 up (I think that was the score but I'm not 100% on that, it was over 10 anyway) at half time when we were playing Hunters Tryst Primary away. Their coach, the school's jannie, was going radge and refused to send them back out for the second half in fear of further humiliation!!

Ended up going to high school with some of the guys in their team who were decent players, don't know what happened to them that day! I remember feeling sorry for their goalie, a small dejected looking figure in the middle of the full size goals whose frustration and embarrassment was plain to see. We later became firm friends in high school and had a right laugh when we realised we had both played in that game...well, I laughed probably a bit more than he did :greengrin

Thats hilarious mate. I played for hunters early nineties and remember sime brilliant games against oxgangs and comiston.

Funnily enough same happened with me, went on to have some hreat friendships with oxgangs boys and one is my best mate to date.

A few players came out of my time... biggest of whom was robbie foy who was signed by liverpool and went pro but has struggled with injury recently and career over young.

Alan brown still plays for spartans - signed from whitehill welfare last year.

Good old days!

scotia44
08-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Not very good Abbeyhill (Morton Top) scored a hatrick against St Ninians (one fae a corner and the goalie being 3ft disnae matter)
Warriston playing fields are a cold place in the winter
Regulary gubbed and Flora Stevenson tended to be the best for whatever reason

PHEONIXHIBS
08-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Very Poor !

To make it worse Gordon Duries son played for our local rivals team and he kitted them all out with nice boots and new kits... didnt bother me atol :rolleyes:

Moon unit
08-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Any memories?
Played in goal for St Mary's in the late 60's,had to wear a V neck wool jumper as there was no goalie top! Dragged down by my knees in the heavy rain,I looked like Casper out of Kes, loved swinging on the goalposts when I could reach them!

Hamish
08-11-2013, 10:03 AM
went to stenhouse primary school,team were kack,remember going to Carrick knowe and balgreen n beating them only because we kicked lumps out of them before,during and after those games,we were bad at football but had a few nutters in our team.

I went to Carrick Knowe, about 5 years ahead of you and believe me it wasn't just your year that did the aforementioned:greengrin

Arthur Albiston played centre forward for the school team, (albeit a few years before me) before being converted to full back at Old Trafford

ShadesLongThrow
08-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Parson's Green in the late 60's when we won the Inspector's Cup. I didn't play though as I was complete gash. Seem to remember that Dave Bowman's old man was the jannie around that time and they had a house that backed on to the middle playground.

Lester B
08-11-2013, 10:22 AM
That rings a bell. Greendykes might have been the semi. The brain's getting befuddled.:cb

Is there an archive of Inspectors cup finals?

I'm sure it was Greendykes! I was in the crowd!!! I remember it being a massive thing that Murrayburn were in the final and loads of the wee kids like me going because we used to watch the older kids like Cherry playing at break rather than playing ourselves and we were convinced they couldn't lose.

Who was the teacher who took the team?? Can see her in my head but memory is not what it was

gillie
08-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Played for Abbeyhill 81/82 team taking by the head teacher Mr Sutherland and then by i think Mr. shewan he was crap at coaching the
team was mid table goodish, i think flora where one of the better sides at the time

I remember scoring the crucial goal in a penalty shoot out against blackhall doon at warriston, great memories and laughs, used to get called to the gym hall for the last 15 mins of friday lunchtime to get told the team and get given tokens for the bus tae warriston

It was great to hear your name called out and you where in the team its what fridays where all about

Brightside
08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Parson's Green in the late 60's when we won the Inspector's Cup. I didn't play though as I was complete gash. Seem to remember that Dave Bowman's old man was the jannie around that time and they had a house that backed on to the middle playground.

You'd struggle to find 11 footballers in the whole school now..

pacorosssco
08-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Mr Bracks all conquering St Johns . Green tops blue shorts even had a sponsor. Younger ones even got Hibs strips one year. Duddingston and Gracemount I think were biggest rivals.

Future17
08-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Mr Bracks all conquering St Johns . Green tops blue shorts even had a sponsor. Younger ones even got Hibs strips one year. Duddingston and Gracemount I think were biggest rivals.

Penquest?

pacorosssco
08-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Penquest?

Turnbulls Coal at bottom of Wisp. His kids were at St'J's. Think Hibs sponsored to with strips.

E10 Rifle
08-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Too many schools from my day gone now. Craigmuir, Muirhouse, Silverknowes, Royston, Fort all I think gone and produced a lot of good primary school footballers in the late 70's early 80's.

Denverhibby
08-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Was this in 80-81 Ish with the head teacher as coach.

Lang Toun Hibs
09-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Pretty poor to be honest, not helped by the strip being awful in terms of material and colour - all maroon!

SANH 1875
09-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Played for Murrayburn in the same team as Callum Milne and Paul Cherry. We lost the Inspectors Cup Final to Greendykes and a goal by a certain John Robertson. Little ******* has haunted msince

Played for murrayburn too. Mrs Scene was our coach and we played in Holland/Dundee It's strips. Won the Calder Shield, Sighthill we're our biggest rivals, although games against broomhouse and St. Joseph's were derbies too

Winston Ingram
09-11-2013, 09:04 AM

Remember scoring in the goals with no nets at Warriston and the ref not giving it cos he said it went wide.

If a mouldmaster hit ye, ye'd still have the marks weeks later:agree:

Wheat Hound
09-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Played for murrayburn too. Mrs Scene was our coach and we played in Holland/Dundee It's strips. Won the Calder Shield, Sighthill we're our biggest rivals, although games against broomhouse and St. Joseph's were derbies too

played for St Josephs and remember those derbies. had to share the calder shield with Sighthill in 1989 after a 1-1 draw and the ref refused to do penalties! yellow top with Hibs shorts and socks was de rigeur

bronca
09-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Thats hilarious mate. I played for hunters early nineties and remember sime brilliant games against oxgangs and comiston.

Funnily enough same happened with me, went on to have some hreat friendships with oxgangs boys and one is my best mate to date.

A few players came out of my time... biggest of whom was robbie foy who was signed by liverpool and went pro but has struggled with injury recently and career over young.

Alan brown still plays for spartans - signed from whitehill welfare last year.

Good old days!

:aok: Sounds like you probably went to Firrhill High? albeit a fair few years after me. Unbelievably, there was no school footy team when we got there, so after some pressure from the lads for a year or so, one was started. I never played for them but I remember they were struggling, being the new team in the league against long established opposition. If you went to Firrhill, was there still a team when you got there?

Spike Mandela
09-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Are you in the photo? Check the hairstyles:greengrin

Stuarty27
09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I went to Gracemount Primary and High school, and we had a decent team for both.

Primary we got to the final of the inspectors cup at Warriston but lost to Fox Cuvet 2-0. Me and my best mate played into the same team together and we were talking about this a few weeks ago. I can remember never being so gutted after losing that game and I looked over at my mate after the game and he was greeting his eyes out. To my shock and horror I saw Miss Brown (Fit as *****) running onto the pitch to console him and give him a cuddle. He was a hero in our eyes after that :)

Our 2ndry team won a cup for the first time in 50 odd years at the park behind Tynecastle pumping St Tams 8-2 after a reply. Great memories

zero-seven
09-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Any memories?
Great times indeed. Saturday mornings were the best ..I played for roseburn primary. We had some great games tho never won anything. Just loved the thrill of being in a competitive side. We took a few humpings but we still got up for it every saturday

GoldenEagle
09-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Kenny Taylor.. As in Oscar's brother and legendary puppeteer and taxi driver?

mjhibby
09-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Went to st marks primary at oxgangs/firhill.Tiny school but punched above our weight and reached epsa cup semi and runner up in our league.My sisters pal(yes a woman coach)ran the team and did a very good job.Played in goals due to my best mate taking my position in the outfield.Still he went on to play for falkirk and indeed played for them at er.Only mention i ever got was in the pink new when we beat the inch 10-1 and i saved a penalty.Handed out a good few hammerings to teams including 18-0 against south morningside when the ref stoped the game early.Happy days indeed apart from kicking that orange mitre ball which weighed a ton especially when it was wet.

Spike Mandela
09-11-2013, 07:00 PM

I now have it on 'very reliable' authority that it was the great Keith Wright that played for Greendykes against us in the Inspectors cup final not John Robertson. Happier with that:cb

Spike Mandela
09-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Kenny Taylor.. As in Oscar's brother and legendary puppeteer and taxi driver?

The very same.

SANH 1875
09-11-2013, 09:27 PM

No, I left in 1982 so was a bit young for that team. Our biggest result was beating pirniehall 11-1, I gota at-trick and we got pink news coverage , heady heights lol. Was crabbo not in the year below you?

Nailsea Hibby
10-11-2013, 01:43 AM
I went to Silverknowes. Great team late 70s. P5 won the Mackie Shield Vs Granton, then we won the Leith Cup 2 years running in P 6 & 7, Vs St Marys (3-2 after being 2-0 down) then Fort (4-1). I was the goalie. High scool team, Craigroyston, never won anything.
I played for Granton in that final at Warriston think you beat us 2 - 0.:boo hoo:

Flanny boy
10-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I played with links primary up till p6 we were quite
A poor side but loved the buzz of the team getting read
out and putting the strip on etc.the strangest thing that
happened in a game was against either holy cross or st Thomas's.
4 times in a row I put the ball out of play from a throw in and the ref
who was their manager told me do do that again son and I,ll send you off :confused:

Hibercelona
10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't recall my Primary School having a dedicated football team.

I do however remember playing 50 a side on the big grassy fields at lunch time. And getting blootered in the face with the ball from a goalkick twice in 1 week. :greengrin

grammyb111
10-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Played for Sciennes from 93-95, I always seemed to be the 11th best player so just got my game. We had a couple of guys that were in our year played for the Primary 7's throughout their time at our school, so only got to play with them for a year. That year 94-95 we won the South of Edinburgh League (seem to remember Gracemount were our big competition), one of the two guys mentioned above scored 55 goal in our league season (maybe 12-14 games?!). We got told we had to stop at 9-0 though, so some games we got to 9-0 by half time and instead of scoring in the second half we'd have to stop the ball on the line etc, probably made it even more humiliating for the opposition. We got to the semi final of the inspectors cup, but got absolutely hammered by Carrick Knowe at Wardie. Did win a couple of Meadow's Festival awards over the few years as well.

The same guy above went on to sign for Cowdenbeath, don't know that he ever got his game though. One of the guys is now a coach at East Fife, but no-one made it professional. Ian Murray was a couple years above so that's about as close as we got.

Matty_Jack04
10-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Played for st.josephs seemed to take a tanking most weeks but still loved the build up to the team announcement on a Friday lunchtime,great times

Houchy
11-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Awesome!!! We won every game in my second season. I reckon that if we got together again, we'd give paddys Hibs teams a game. (Ok maybe not now given wed all be around 36)

Oh, I played for Bruntsfield.

SeanWilson
11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
:aok: Sounds like you probably went to Firrhill High? albeit a fair few years after me. Unbelievably, there was no school footy team when we got there, so after some pressure from the lads for a year or so, one was started. I never played for them but I remember they were struggling, being the new team in the league against long established opposition. If you went to Firrhill, was there still a team when you got there?

I did go to Firrhill mate yeah. By the tim I was playing we had a superb team, beating most.

Cant say I had much to do with it though... bit part player seen as most of the lads ended up pro and we had a few younger lads drafted up - craig sivves and callum elliott to name a couple.

Really did have some great school football memories. Someone else on here mentioned the hamilton cup - my best memory is winning 1-0 against comiston playing up front for the year above me :-) belter!

itslegaltender
11-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Played for Deanpark Primary in Balerno in the late 70's/early 8's Won our league most years against the likes of Riccarton, Nether Currie, Juniper Green, Ratho. Managed to get to one Inspectors semi final and one Schoolboard semi Final where I was marking Sandy Robertson (early Souness OLDCO player). He scored 5 in horsing us 9-2.

Can still remember the buzz of getting up on a Saturday morning, cleaning my boots from the week before! and then going to the game. Great days.

Hermit Crab
11-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Played for east Craig's 90-93 we were ok. I played up front scored plenty goals including 4 in one game and once scored from my own half which wasnae bad on a full size pitch. Green and yellow strips if I remember. Carrick knowe were the good team then, drum brae and corstorphine were both utterly shiiite and don't ever remember losing to them, we always won convincingly against them.

SeanWilson
11-11-2013, 09:25 AM

I did go to Firrhill mate yeah. By the tim I was playing we had a superb team, beating most.

Cant say I had much to do with it though... bit part player seen as most of the lads ended up pro and we had a few younger lads drafted up - craig sivves and callum elliott to name a couple.

Really did have some great school football memories. Someone else on here mentioned the hamilton cup - my best memory is winning 1-0 against comiston playing up front for the year above me :-) belter!

iwasthere1972
29-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Played wing half for Burdiehouse - scored decisive goal in 5-3 victory semi-final of Inspector's Cup of 1968/69 at Warriston :greengrin - seem to remember a huge crowd watching us. By the time of the final we had all moved on to secondary (Gracemount) so we had to have special permission to return to the primary school and play in the final (at Warriston again) where we were mighty unlucky to be beaten 2-1 - it was heartbreak and tears all round! We than were allowed to attend the primary School assembly to be ceremoniously awarded our 1968/69 runner-up medals - we felt like heroes returning to the school that day as "secondary pupils" - a great feeling, but we were all so sad that we had been beaten - in some ways it's been all downhilll ever since ... BH school has now been demolished too, I believe ....

I also played for Burdiehouse Primary School about 1966/67 but for some reason I was nominated to be the goalkeeper when I considered myself to be the next Peter Cormack and not Willie Wilson. Good with my feet and excellent in the air. :greengrin Anyway first game we lost 13-2 but the defence improved for the second game and we only lost 11-1. I remember wakening up one morning (think we were due to play up at Hyvots), looked out the window and saw all the snow. Immediate thought was sod that and I went back to my warm bed. No idea if they missed me or what the result was.

By the way I think there's a photo of the team you are talking about on another messageboard I post to.

Happy days as they say.

Billy McKirdy
29-11-2015, 06:48 PM

I never played for any team as such because I was probably one of the most useless players in my neighbourhood even though I trained for about 3 years with Northfield boys club when big Dayo was playing for them, I never got 1 game, as a Piershill lad we used to play the Meadowfield boys regularly on that pitch up the hill from Parsons Green school, always thought it was still there. obviously not.

Mr White
29-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I never played for any team as such because I was probably one of the most useless players in my neighbourhood even though I trained for about 3 years with Northfield boys club when big Dayo was playing for them, I never got 1 game, as a Piershill lad we used to play the Meadowfield boys regularly on that pitch up the hill from Parsons Green school, always thought it was still there. obviously not.
There's a single goal with a section of AstroTurf in front of it at the north end but the council stopped marking the pitch out years ago.

h185forever
29-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Played a few times for St Peters morningside on the right wing in the Late 60s.

memories of beating tollcross primary 9-1 at meggetland ...with our team photo in the pink news that night .....the team included Stuart Wood ....later to be a Bay City Roller.

Another memory of around the same time at meggetland was seeing John O'Rouke, a younger brother of our famous Jimmy, shooting, hitting the bar and the rotten wood giving way causing the bar to collapse...tho he did have some power in his shot ....or is my mind playing tricks on me ....anyone else recall this ??

jimmythefish
29-11-2015, 08:18 PM
I went to Gracemount Primary and High school, and we had a decent team for both.

Primary we got to the final of the inspectors cup at Warriston but lost to Fox Cuvet 2-0. Me and my best mate played into the same team together and we were talking about this a few weeks ago. I can remember never being so gutted after losing that game and I looked over at my mate after the game and he was greeting his eyes out. To my shock and horror I saw Miss Brown (Fit as *****) running onto the pitch to console him and give him a cuddle. He was a hero in our eyes after that :)

Our 2ndry team won a cup for the first time in 50 odd years at the park behind Tynecastle pumping St Tams 8-2 after a reply. Great memories

I went to gracemount primary & played in the b team think we were ok but never won anything but remember the A team had a good team & got to the inspectors cup final , could've been the same game remember going to watch the game but can't remember who won, I do remember that the team had 2 brothers who played in the same team Jimmy & davie Ellis I think Jimmy was a year older he was like the midfield general & Davie who was the same age as me was a flying winger

pontius pilate
29-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Played for inchview primary which no longer exists. 'twas a tad rough in west pilton in mid to late 80s

Scored on my debut at inverleith park when a corner bounced infront of me and hit my knee. Was was 7/8 up by that point anyway.

Rest of season is a blur but I remember we got to two finals and lost both but we won the league. Didn't play in either final at warriston playing fields.

I kind of played for inch view in the early 80's my dad was the janny their before moving to craigroyston. Was a thought time growing up in west pilton then mind you I left there and ended up in wester hailes no wonder I joined the army as soon as I could

jdships
29-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Played at Wardie and then rugby on Saturday morning and football in afternoon !!

The_Exile
30-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Brunstane Primary School circa early 90's, football team disbanded early 80's due to pupil bad behaviour at games. Petition on the go, "it's been over a decade since that carry on sir, please reconsider". Football team reestablished, first game is against Niddrie Mill, cue 22 man brawl on the park halfway through the first half, team disbanded again after 18 minutes of the first game back :greengrin

ozwoody
30-11-2015, 07:15 AM
I played for st ninians,79-80.dundee utd bright orange kits.scored a goal in 10 seconds one game,probably my only goal as i was moved into goals after that.can always remember the head teacher ,mrs gorman, was our coach and we had the fabled 2-3-5 formation.got to the EPSA cup final at warriston but got beat 2-1.i remember playing on Wednesday's and getting away from class early to collect our bus tokens from the office, and were allowed to make our own way to the ground! Im sure parents would cause a riot now if their 10 year olds were left like that

mca
30-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Think my Primary School Team had -1 Goalie and 10 Strikers.. All Chasing the Ball... :rolleyes:

Edina Erin
30-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Holy Cross 81/82. Our coach was none other than Jimmy O'Rourke.

Saturday mornings at Warriston - happy days !

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
That deleted post from 2130 yesterday must have the weirdest reason ever! :-)

Holmesdale Hibs
01-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Played for Sciennes and won the Meggetland league in 1972. We were presented with our medals by a professional football friend of our teacher/manager. Big let down when I discovered the big name was "Donald Ford"!

I played for Sciennes in the 80s/90s. We won the league one year in a decider vs Gracemount but IIRC they got their revenge in the cup final and won the league the year after.

Cauld Bovril
01-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Was this in 80-81 Ish with the head teacher as coach.

Sorry, I just noticed this now the thread has popped back up. It would have been around that time, Mr Newlands was the teacher and coach.

KeithTheHibby
01-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Our primary school team was top drawer.

Carrrick Knowe won the C league and Calder Shield (Primary 5) and in Primary 7 won the A league winning every game that season bar one, a 1-1 draw with East Craigs.
Our captain was a certain Chris Jackson who starred for the Hibees. Even back then you were aware that he was a top drawer player.

southsider
01-12-2015, 02:52 PM
I mind the heavy filly wi the lace. If it rained the ball weighted about 4 ton. At a corner everyone went in the box but the wee winger could hardly kick it more than about 3 yards.

Oscar T Grouch
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
I don't remember there being a team when I was in primary school, Ted Brack became the head teacher when I was at St Johns so it's likely we did have one and I just never heard about it, I was more into Star Wars and the Atari 2600 at the time. Never got a taste for football until much later in life.

bigwheel
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
my memories of primary school football was the Mitre (mould master ?) with the pimples on it...

and crowding around the edge of the penalty box if the keeper coulldn't kick it very far... :)

happiehibbie
01-12-2015, 03:15 PM
I played for Muirhouse primary loved it. claim to fame ! I was one of the youngest to play for the school.Charlie McGuire the Janny took the team.
1970 -1973 ish

Muirhouse was also the the first winners of the Gary Stuart Cup who went to muirhouse primary

OH YES The MITRE Mould Master

wookie70
01-12-2015, 03:27 PM
I was at Royal High Primary. No football team until late in Primary 7 when a certain Jim McArthur took up his role as PE teacher. We weren't up to much and my main memory of the games was Jim crashing the mini bus coming back from a defeat against Niddrie.

Hibby Bairn
01-12-2015, 06:30 PM
D'Mains late 70s. Unbeatable. 😎⚽️

iwasthere1972
01-12-2015, 06:31 PM
That deleted post from 2130 yesterday must have the weirdest reason ever! :-)

A mystery. As you say. Weird.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Hermitage Park Primary School.

Absolutely gash. I was a goal-shy striker for a couple of years before reinventing myself as an absolute effing animal at centre-back. Think Terry Hurlock with blonde hair and champagne gold adidas predators...

itslegaltender
01-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Played for Deanpark in Balerno in the late 70's/early 80's. Regularly won the south west league which had schools like Curriehill, Nether Currie, Riccarton, Bonaly, Juniper Green and bizzarely Morningside.

got to semi's of the schoolboard cup a couple of years. One memorable semi final at Warriston was when we played Gracemount. I was marking Sandy Robertson who went on to sign for Rangers. He scored 6 as they won 9-2! Obviously I had a cracking game! :greengrin

Peevemor
01-12-2015, 06:52 PM
We didn't have one when I was at Longstone Primary - the headmaster was against it apparently. His name was Mr Chapel, which he pronounced "shapelle". I think Hyacinthe Bucket may have been modelled on him.

greenlex
01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
We didn't have one when I was at Longstone Primary - the headmaster was against it apparently. His name was Mr Chapel, which he pronounced "shapelle". I think Hyacinthe Bucket may have been modelled on him.
I had a work colleague with that Surname. A season ticket holder at Ibrox. I called him Chapel all the time and every time he "corrected" me. Hours and hours of amusement.

pacorosssco
01-12-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't remember there being a team when I was in primary school, Ted Brack became the head teacher when I was at St Johns so it's likely we did have one and I just never heard about it, I was more into Star Wars and the Atari 2600 at the time. Never got a taste for football until much later in life.

Vince St Johns had a footy team for sure. Were always at the top end of Edinburgh primarys and Mr Brack indeed put a lot of his own time into School football at all ages P1-7. Didnt always agree with his decsions but his son Dominic was a very decent player and must have been around your age. In my time we were close to Inspectors cup a few times and Duddingston, Gracemount I think had very good teams. St johns even had kits provided by Hibs after for a while maybe around early 90's

O'Rourke3
01-12-2015, 08:45 PM
I had a pal who I watched play in a winning final for St Johns at Warriston around 70. Towerbank didnt have a team at the time so schools football was a new experience for me.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Billy McKirdy
01-12-2015, 08:47 PM
I played for st ninians,79-80.dundee utd bright orange kits.scored a goal in 10 seconds one game,probably my only goal as i was moved into goals after that.can always remember the head teacher ,mrs gorman, was our coach and we had the fabled 2-3-5 formation.got to the EPSA cup final at warriston but got beat 2-1.i remember playing on Wednesday's and getting away from class early to collect our bus tokens from the office, and were allowed to make our own way to the ground! Im sure parents would cause a riot now if their 10 year olds were left like that

Remember Miss Gorman well, we were obviously there at the same time, I was there 1970 to 77.

Hibeesforever
01-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Great memories playing for East Craigs in the mid eighties. Colours were green, so I was a very happy centre forward. I remember mainly relying on the centre half missing the ball and anticipating. Great days, my scoring feats earned a starting spot with Edinburgh primary schools. A really good team with Jackie McNamara, Scott Marshall, Lee Robertson, Chris Jackson and Jason Gardiner amongst others in the side.
Different era and all the football was 11 a side, not like today where small sided games rule.

BSEJVT
01-12-2015, 09:11 PM
I had a pal who I watched play in a winning final for St Johns at Warriston around 70. Towerbank didnt have a team at the time so schools football was a new experience for me.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Must have been just too early for you I played for Towerbank in p6 & p7 I went to school as you could in those days before I was 5 and went to Porty in 74 so it would be 72 &73 I played for Towerbank

Guy called Wattie Herriot ran the team

O'Rourke3
01-12-2015, 09:18 PM
You and I are the same age then. He was Mike's dad and he started the team when we were in P5. After the St J team won 😁

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Greenworld
01-12-2015, 09:30 PM
My team were brilliant mainly due to me Gus ran our team for years

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Stax
01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
I was at Royal High Primary. No football team until late in Primary 7 when a certain Jim McArthur took up his role as PE teacher. We weren't up to much and my main memory of the games was Jim crashing the mini bus coming back from a defeat against Niddrie.
Jim was my PE teacher at Towerbank mid 70's, blaze pitch and mitre mouldmaster, ooyah!

O'Rourke3
01-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Jim was my PE teacher at Towerbank mid 70's, blaze pitch and mitre mouldmaster, ooyah!
Jim arrived the year after I left. Got even worse when he brought Bobby Smith along too.....

Sent via the bushes @ EM

G-Reg
01-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Jim was my PE teacher at Towerbank mid 70's, blaze pitch and mitre mouldmaster, ooyah! I swear I have still got bits of that surface lodged in my knees from a brief stint in goals 25 years ago

WoreTheGreen
01-12-2015, 10:01 PM
I played for Sciennes in the 80s/90s. We won the league one year in a decider vs Gracemount but IIRC they got their revenge in the cup final and won the league the year after.lplayed for Sciennes good team a worklng class area not know 70's good time to be hibs fan . Got selected for Edinburh primery schools team

Oscar T Grouch
01-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Vince St Johns had a footy team for sure. Were always at the top end of Edinburgh primarys and Mr Brack indeed put a lot of his own time into School football at all ages P1-7. Didnt always agree with his decsions but his son Dominic was a very decent player and must have been around your age. In my time we were close to Inspectors cup a few times and Duddingston, Gracemount I think had very good teams. St johns even had kits provided by Hibs after for a while maybe around early 90's

Cheers I never knew that, I was oblivious to football back then. I knew he was a big Hibbie and am sure we met a few Hibs players at school. I sort of remember Dominic who I think was the year below me maybe?!? Also Lisa who I think was in my big sisters class? Possibly? This is all sketchy though, I've weirdly hardly any memories from back then. I never liked primary school, or secondary 😜 😂

hibs0666
01-12-2015, 10:29 PM
I was at St. John's for a couple of years and I have a vague recollection of Tom Hart's wife coming in to play the violin. :confused:

Hibby Bairn
01-12-2015, 10:33 PM

"Facilities" were much better back then. That is why we had better players 😎

ozwoody
02-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Remember Miss Gorman well, we were obviously there at the same time, I was there 1970 to 77.

Hi marine,i started there 75, was lucky enough to play for both p6 and p7 when i was in p6.mrs flannigan was my teacher, although she seemed to have been born 90 years old.went to holy rood in 81

BSEJVT
02-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Ah the old blaze pitch

I spent the last 4 or 5 years of my time at Towerbank in the annexe on Bath Street so we played in the playground there

cmcd
02-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Dinnae get me started.

After leaving Leith to come to the Borders I ( in my opinion ) would have been a shoe in for the primary team, but when primary 7 came around I was shunted up to the high school after primary 6 due to some admin error when I first joined the primary, so I never got to do P7 and never got to play for the team, who were pretty decent as I recall.

I cant have been too bad coz I got to represent the town in the annual one off heated derby against the next town over a year or so later. Not as grand as it sounds we won about 8 - 1 or something, coz the next town over was about half the size :greengrin I still remember our coach that year though Jo Jo Dougal, who played for Leithen Rovers and was a cross between Pat Stanton & Franz Beckenbauer.

Coz the high school was an egg chasing one we didnt have a team, but most of the lads played for Peebles Thistle, though to be honest I wasnt a huge hit with them. Me & my mates also had a 5 a side team and got to the dizzy hights of the CO-OP 5s final in Galashiels one year.

Actually, anybody who went to Peebles High will remember the two ( or was it 3 ) pristine rugby pitches and the rubbish football pitch, where if you had a shot from the half way line and the ball never rose an inch above the hight it started it would have went about 6 feet over the bar.

Ah school days ................. hated every ****ing minute.

What year were you at Peebles Thistle ?

Baader
02-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Cheers I never knew that, I was oblivious to football back then. I knew he was a big Hibbie and am sure we met a few Hibs players at school. I sort of remember Dominic who I think was the year below me maybe?!? Also Lisa who I think was in my big sisters class? Possibly? This is all sketchy though, I've weirdly hardly any memories from back then. I never liked primary school, or secondary 😜 😂

Was at St Johns too (1981-88) We had a pretty decent team. Remember hammering Lismore any time we played them. Was always at least 15-0! A very decent side to which I used to play up top and sometimes left wing (had a left peg but was a striker and not a winger.) Remember we could never seem to beat Royal High and Newcraighall.

Mr Brack took the team. My Dad knew him before I was at school from travelling around with Hibs back in the 60s.

Vince, did you go on to Holy Rood? Were you in Neil McClorys year by any chance?

Mr White
02-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Was at St Johns too (1981-88) We had a pretty decent team. Remember hammering Lismore any time we played them. Was always at least 15-0! A very decent side to which I used to play up top and sometimes left wing (had a left peg but was a striker and not a winger.) Remember we could never seem to beat Royal High and Newcraighall.

Mr Brack took the team. My Dad knew him before I was at school from travelling around with Hibs back in the 60s.

Vince, did you go on to Holy Rood? Were you in Neil McClorys year by any chance?

You would have been in my sisters year at st johns, Anne-Marie? She left at the end of p5. Pat stantons boy was in your class too no?

Baader
02-12-2015, 07:35 PM
You would have been in my sisters year at st johns, Anne-Marie? She left at the end of p5. Pat stantons boy was in your class too no?

Yeah. I remember your sister! Didn't your family live in Duddingston? Am I correct in remembering your Dad wrote a book about the local area?

Kenny Stanton was in my class and a good friend. Used to stay at the house (and The Seahaven Hotel when Pat owned it) quite often. Pat would talk to me about Hibs. An absolute gentleman and so unassuming. Was just Kenny's Dad to me all through our childhood! Paddy Stanton jr was at both St Johns and Holy Rood but a few years older than me.

Cheers!

Mr White
02-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Yeah. I remember your sister! Didn't your family live in Duddingston?

Kenny Stanton was in my class and a good friend. Used to stay at the house (and The Seahaven Hotel when Pat owned it) quite often. Pat would talk to me about Hibs. An absolute gentleman and so unassuming. Was just Kenny's Dad to me all through our childhood!

Cheers!
Yeah we lived in meadowfield, sold it in august there. Moved schools in 86, I'm 3 years younger than am so only did 2 years at st johns and don't remember a huge amount. I do remember ted brack being very supportive of football in the playground and encouraging us in p1 and p2 to knock a ball around at break time though. Top man.

You are indeed correct my dad did write a book about Duddington and portobello.

Speedy
02-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Terrible. Not a player in the team.

Mr White
02-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Yeah. I remember your sister! Didn't your family live in Duddingston? Am I correct in remembering your Dad wrote a book about the local area?

Kenny Stanton was in my class and a good friend. Used to stay at the house (and The Seahaven Hotel when Pat owned it) quite often. Pat would talk to me about Hibs. An absolute gentleman and so unassuming. Was just Kenny's Dad to me all through our childhood! Paddy Stanton jr was at both St Johns and Holy Rood but a few years older than me.

Cheers!

No worries if you'd rather not post your name on the board but in case I remember you.... what's your name? :greengrin

Cheers, Brendan

Platinum Scotty
02-12-2015, 09:06 PM
D'Mains late 70s. Unbeatable. 😎⚽️

I was a poor sub for D'Mains at a similar time but was only that cause my dad was a coach LOL

stoneyburn hibs
02-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Granton Primary, nothing of note achieved at football but I was part of a demon basketball team.

ancient hibee
02-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Fort Primary.Final of Leith Schools Cup 1953-skelped by Royston.Then I became old enough to play and it was downhill from then on.

Halifaxhibby
02-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Played for Fox Covert primary A,B and C teams 1985-1987, we were unstoppable at league level. Regularly hammered teams 8,9,10-0, semis in inspectors cup twice. Anyone remember the slope at fox covert?, we had a guy who could score from the half way line and regularly did on that pitch. Alan byrne. Sure he went on to play briefly with east fife. Also had scott marshall in the year above us who got signed by arsenal and ryan hegarty played in my year. Great player nephew of paul hegarty. Unbelievable talent at that age. Think he ended up at the pars but retired due to spinal issues. I
played at left back or left midfield as i'm left handed and coach assumed i was left footed. Which i wasn't!!, only ever scored one goal for my primary but it was a lucky half volley straight from a corner against gylemuir(brian hamilton against the tims lol!) Peach!
Got signed for cramond boys club after that. Then captained tartan boys club(top goalscorer and player of the year87-88) went to holland with broughton boys club after that and played in a competition against a german team, pollock juniors( men against boys literally!) and f.c carpentras of portugal where i had to man mark their star player out the game, i mind the coach saying if he goes for a piss at half time i want u to be at the urinal next to him!!, went to craigmount high, played as a lone striker. Scored a few. Sam lynch was our p.e teacher/coach. I remember mikey stewarts big brother rory was a year below us and couldn't get near our team. Remember mikey briefly being a tantrum throwing wee fud. Played for f.c porto(windsor buffet) and currie hertz sunday league level. Then bevvy fags and burdz utd!!!!
Was on the front page of the scotsman with pele when u-16 world cup was in scotland 1989, got to have a wee kickabout with him and andy roxburgh at ***********. Still got his picture and autograph. Happy days!
GGTTH
FTHMFC

Scouse Hibee
02-12-2015, 10:39 PM
House football team in secondary school was unbeaten throughout my time there.I was the reliable solid but not so skillful leftback. Just so happened that 6 of the guys were on books of Liverpool and Everton, they carried us :-)

hibs0666
02-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Was on the front page of the scotsman with pele when u-16 world cup was in scotland 1989, got to have a wee kickabout with him and andy roxburgh at ***********. Still got his picture and autograph. Happy days!
GGTTH
FTHMFC

That's mental. Any chance I could buy that autograph - Roxburgh is the coolest dude to walk the planet. :wink: