PDA

View Full Version : No segregation

Billy Whizz
06-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Just back from the Scotland v Belgium. I was in the South Stand, and as well as the corner of the Wedt Stand, the Belgium supporters had the centre section of the South with little or no segregation between both sets of fans. They were mixing with the Scotland fana in the concourse area before, during and after the game.
Great to see that fans can mingle freely at football matches, although very unusual in our country!

BoltonHibee
06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Just back from the Scotland v Belgium. I was in the South Stand, and as well as the corner of the Wedt Stand, the Belgium supporters had the centre section of the South with little or no segregation between both sets of fans. They were mixing with the Scotland fana in the concourse area before, during and after the game.
Great to see that fans can mingle freely at football matches, although very unusual in our country!

Yes, I was in that area too. Great to see. Clapped and sang through Scotland songs as well as their own.

hibee_nation
06-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Yes, I was in that area too. Great to see. Clapped and sang through Scotland songs as well as their own.

Waffle :greengrin

Carheenlea
06-09-2013, 11:37 PM
I am from the generation who knows nothing else other than segregation at games, and to be honest I`m quite happy with that. I don`t see mingling with opposition fans during a game as being more appealing than sharing the range of emotions of 90 minutes of football with your fellow fans and like minded people. Don`t mind it before a game or post match, but during it is not for me.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2013, 11:54 PM
I am from the generation who knows nothing else other than segregation at games, and to be honest I`m quite happy with that. I don`t see mingling with opposition fans during a game as being more appealing than sharing the range of emotions of 90 minutes of football with your fellow fans and like minded people. Don`t mind it before a game or post match, but during it is not for me.

:agree: I would actually be put off going to the football if I was mixed in with opposition supporters.

It's not something that's ever likely to be introduced in league football though.

Miguel
07-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I think relations between fans have worsened since segregation. It makes people more tribal.
From the 1960s, right up to the mid-80s, for example, I would go to Tynie and although there was occasional handbags and banter, nothing much happened. You got problems, but fans were generally self policing. Don't think it would work now, after years of it and bitterness between clubs.

hibee_nation
07-09-2013, 12:26 AM
I think relations between fans have worsened since segregation. It makes people more tribal.
From the 1960s, right up to the mid-80s, for example, I would go to Tynie and although there was occasional handbags and banter, nothing much happened. You got problems, but fans were generally self policing. Don't think it would work now, after years of it and bitterness between clubs.

That is bollox, in the 70's there was self segregation. The OF used to take over 3 quarters of ER and you fought to keep our bit. It was not all lovey dovey by any stretch of the imagination. :take that:scarf:

The Harp Awakes
07-09-2013, 12:32 AM
My first Hibs game was in 1975 at Tynecastle. In those days there was no segregation at games but Hibs fans would predominantly stand at the McLeod Street end of Tynie. I went to the game with my Brother in law who was a jambo and I was in the Shed with him (bang in the middle of the Hearts end). I was only 8 years old but had my Green and White scarf and tammy on. I can remember before kick off there were Hibs fans who had entered from the Wheatfield Rd turnstiles, who walked past me to get to the McLeod Street end who stopped to shake my hand. I can remember it felt brilliant being the only Hibs fan in the Hearts end that day, but truth be told I only got away with it because I was a kid. To make the day Pat Stanton scored a 97th minute equaliser for the Hibees:not worth:scarf:

Gemma Hibee
07-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Saw this on the TV. Belgium fans dancing past Scotland fans who looked non-plussed, just observing fans enjoying themselves. Amazing to see. We won't see this in the domestic game though. Not in these days.

spike220
07-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Great to see that fans can mingle freely at football matches, although very unusual in our country! This is the way forward, football could learn a lot from Rugby here.

green&left
07-09-2013, 08:02 AM
This is the way forward, football could learn a lot from Rugby here.

Happens in other countries too, particularly Germany, however both 'types' of fans are catered for where there appears to be segregated and non-segregated areas.

Anyone know what this banner is about?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/06/article-0-1BAA2594000005DC-169_634x389.jpg

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2013, 08:08 AM
I remember the non segregation days when i first started going in the 60s, in the 70s when playing the old firm we'd often dance with each other in the old east terrace, think it was the eightsome reel. :wink:

Billy Whizz
07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
At the turnstiles all the Belgium fans were going in the same turnstile as us, wondered what was going on. Well done to the SFA in allowing this. At 1st I thought, what was going on here, but at half time we were all together and not a sign of trouble

son of haggart
07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
My first Hibs game was in 1975 at Tynecastle. In those days there was no segregation at games but Hibs fans would predominantly stand at the McLeod Street end of Tynie. I went to the game with my Brother in law who was a jambo and I was in the Shed with him (bang in the middle of the Hearts end). I was only 8 years old but had my Green and White scarf and tammy on. I can remember before kick off there were Hibs fans who had entered from the Wheatfield Rd turnstiles, who walked past me to get to the McLeod Street end who stopped to shake my hand. I can remember it felt brilliant being the only Hibs fan in the Hearts end that day, but truth be told I only got away with it because I was a kid. To make the day Pat Stanton scored a 97th minute equaliser for the Hibees:not worth:scarf:

and he was a mile offside

not that I'm bitter or anything

shagpile
07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Fans of opposite persuasions standing together? Used to happen all the time. But then people used to have a bad habit of behaving at football matches.
They went along to see the game & regardless of the outcome at twenty to five[yup, 10 minutes for half time ]they left the ground to have a beer together. None of the stupidity that is[not in every case] the norm nowadays.
Pity.

Thecat23
07-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I mind years ago when I first started watching Hibs, the old cow shed behind the goals against Celtic was always full of them. Even though it was meant to be segregated. Mind a game we lost 3-0 and when the first went in everyone around me jumped up. I thought I'm I in the wrong end here?!

Carheenlea
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Fans of opposite persuasions standing together? Used to happen all the time. But then people used to have a bad habit of behaving at football matches.
They went along to see the game & regardless of the outcome at twenty to five[yup, 10 minutes for half time ]they left the ground to have a beer together. None of the stupidity that is[not in every case] the norm nowadays.
Pity.

You`re painting an idyllic picture of how things used to be in your eyes, but let`s face it, there must have been good reason to introduce segregation in the first place. I don`t think my dad took me certain games in the 70`s like Rangers at Easter Road because there was no segregation.

Keith_M
07-09-2013, 03:41 PM
We should combine no segregation with allowing people to drink at the football. Get the game back to how it used to be in the good old days.

DH1875
07-09-2013, 05:33 PM
It wasnt an SFA choice. There was close on 10k fans over for the game. Those without tickets for their end bought up the tickets for our end. Pretty much in the same way the tartan army do for wembley and when we played france and spain.
For me football is all about tribalism. Take it away and youd take away a chunck of what makes it special. Cant think of anything worse than taking up my seat at ER to find I was surronded by yams or infirm fans.

surreyhibbie
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM

I was there, right behind the goal as well, getting ready to leave..

It was a brilliant goal. And IF it was offside, that made it all the sweeter at the time!

:greengrin:thumbsup:

HibbyRod
07-09-2013, 06:03 PM

:greengrin I'm not that persuaded that he was offside! However, I would say that wouldn't I! Genuinely, I don't think he was. :wink:

Oh for a Paddy Stanton in our team now! :boo hoo:

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2013, 06:15 PM
:greengrin I'm not that persuaded that he was offside! However, I would say that wouldn't I! Genuinely, I don't think he was. :wink:

Oh for a Paddy Stanton in our team now! :boo hoo:

Or just one less Paddy.

One Day
07-09-2013, 06:46 PM
We should combine no segregation with allowing people to drink at the football. Get the game back to how it used to be in the good old days.

would be interesting

Big90inOz
08-09-2013, 09:35 AM
would be interesting

Being in Oz my sport interests has turned to Aussie Rules following the Fremantle Dockers. Usual crowd is 35,000 with no segregation at all and despite " good nature" banter I have not seen any trouble. Earlier today I watched a final qualifying game with 96,000 in attendance with no segregation.
Simple case of self regulation with your own supporters quick to tell you to pull your head in if things get too heated

Future17
08-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Or just one less Paddy.

:fishin:

marinello59
08-09-2013, 09:52 AM
The clubs should be opening up mixed family sections now with the long term aim of ditching segregation for good. . We complain about over policing of our game yet we still have a large number of adults who can't control themselves if somebody near them shouts support for another football team.

Billy Whizz
08-09-2013, 10:05 AM
The clubs should be opening up mixed family sections now with the long term aim of ditching segregation for good. . We complain about over policing of our game yet we still have a large number of adults who can't control themselves if somebody near them shouts support for another football team.

Do St Johnstone still have the mixed support family stand behind the goals?

HH81
08-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I go to the rugby league and you can stand or sit where you want. You can also drink in the stand while watching the game.

Do I think it will work in football? No. I just think its different at football, no club would risk this even without drink.

marinello59
08-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Do St Johnstone still have the mixed support family stand behind the goals?

I don't know.. Aberdeen did this for a while several years when they used to have their kids section sitting with the kids sections from other clubs. That ended when their own equivalent of Hibs kids was ditched.. Given the gaps in all our grounds on match days finding a suitable area shouldn't be a problem.

Billy Whizz
08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't know.. Aberdeen did this for a while several years when they used to have their kids section sitting with the kids sections from other clubs. That ended when their own equivalent of Hibs kids was ditched.. Given the gaps in all our grounds on match days finding a suitable area shouldn't be a problem.

I remember a number of years back sitting in there with Saints fans. Not sure they even open this stand now due to decreasing crowds. Might have a look on my way to the game on Saturday

SaulGoodman
08-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Do Fulham not do a mixed stand behind the goal?

HH81
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Do Fulham not do a mixed stand behind the goal?

Yes me and my mate sat in it once and watched Newcastle. Most were Newcastle fans though.

Keith_M
08-09-2013, 12:00 PM

I agree with this. There's no reason it couldn't be done, as long as it's well policed (or stewarded). Any incidents of unacceptable behaviour and the culprit is put out of the ground.

IIRC, the South Wing of the old Main Stand was open to supporters of either side, Old Firm and Hearts games aside. Apart from one incident involving Aberdeen Casuals in the 80s, there was never any trouble.

Alfred E Newman
08-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Bring back the changing ends at half time. ::greengrin

son of haggart
08-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Yes me and my mate sat in it once and watched Newcastle. Most were Newcastle fans though.

Yep sat in it two or three years ago with the West Brom fans and Fulham mixed in

No problems

One Day
08-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Being in Oz my sport interests has turned to Aussie Rules following the Fremantle Dockers. Usual crowd is 35,000 with no segregation at all and despite " good nature" banter I have not seen any trouble. Earlier today I watched a final qualifying game with 96,000 in attendance with no segregation.
Simple case of self regulation with your own supporters quick to tell you to pull your head in if things get too heated

I think that would cause touble than it would stop

marinello59
08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
[/B]

I think that would cause touble than it would stop

Why? Self policing played a major part in the 'traditional' songs being ditched.

Phil D. Rolls
08-09-2013, 07:15 PM

I recall the banter well. Some of the visiting fans behind me were so keen to share their McEwans Export they threw cans down to us. They weren't very good aimers though - 9 times out of 10 the tins ended up on the pitch, or someone's head. :greengrin

AndyB_70
08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I've been to a few Scotland away games when we have ended up in with the home fans. Never had any problems and the Germans even bought us some beer etc. inside the ground during the game. There were a few Belgium fans in the North stand at hampden the other night and there was no issue with them celebrating their teams goals. Can't imagine standing next to a Yam during a derby match though. That would just make me feel a tad sick.

Iggy Pope
08-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Or just one less Paddy.

:greengrin
This belongs on the 'Hibs and Celtic' thread.......

Bishop Hibee
08-09-2013, 08:01 PM
I was in the South Lower on Friday and had Belgians in our row. All very friendly. They would never have got tickets if Scotland had had any chance of qualifying. I was in the German end in Dortmund a few years ago so can't complain. You get tickets any way you can for these games.

Would never work at club level esp v Celtc, Newco or the Yams.

IberianHibernian
08-09-2013, 10:03 PM
From the 1960s, right up to the mid-80s, for example, I would go to Tynie and although there was occasional handbags and banter, nothing much happened. You got problems, but fans were generally self policing. Don't think it would work now, after years of it and bitterness between clubs.Agree 100% with this . Segregation has made people think it`s normal to spend match insulting opposition and has built up differences . Now a generation or more think it`s normal and necessary and new football fans are either put off by something that doesn`t happen in other sports or attracted by poisonous atmosphere . Ridiculous situation where Hibs fans are more upset by possibility of odd away fan ( even if it`s a kid with an adult with no colours ) using one of our thousands of empty seats than by a home fan entering ground legless after being in pub since early opening . ER is big enough to have a mixed área so we could be pioneer in this . Policing / security costs are probably reduced a lot by having segregation but think crowds would soon be bigger ( more away fans and families and like it or not all clubs need more young fans , ER is big enough to have noisy segregated parts as well as mixed áreas ) .

Jonnyboy
08-09-2013, 10:09 PM
I was there, right behind the goal as well, getting ready to leave..

It was a brilliant goal. And IF it was offside, that made it all the sweeter at the time!

:greengrin:thumbsup:

Pat himself says he was offside. Mind you he has an evil grin on his face when he says it :greengrin

Jonnyboy
08-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Bring back the changing ends at half time. ::greengrin

Now that was fun :thumbsup:

Posh Swanny
09-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Fulham have a "neutral" area behind the away end goal for Premier League games. Normally made up of 30% away fans, 20% Fulham fans and 50% genuine neutrals just there to watch the show and to my knowledge there not been a hint of trouble in the 5 years they've been doing it. Self-policing is a perfect term for it.

I recall walking along to the South Stand for the title decider game against the club formerly known as Glasgow Rangers when the East was being demolished and we shared the end - hundreds of fans from both teams were mingling without any bother all the way down Albion Road and up to the turnstiles. The moment there were a couple of police and some metal fencing separating the fans, everyone went mental, goading and threatening those on the other side. If anything opened my eyes to the pathetic nature of the aggressive football fan - it was that moment. Unfortunately though, you only need three NED twats genuinely up for causing trouble to make segregation necessary and let's be honest, Easter Road more than meets that quota with or without and Old Firm presence.