PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Tonight's Games

SteveHFC
06-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Scottish FA ‏@ScottishFA (https://twitter.com/ScottishFA) 3m (https://twitter.com/ScottishFA/status/376038631305404419) Scotland team v Belgium: Marshall, Hutton, Whittaker, Martin, Hanley, Maloney, Mulgrew, Brown (C), Griffiths, Snodgrass, Forrest #BeTheRoar (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BeTheRoar&src=hash)

Belgium team: Courtois; Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Lombaerts, Vertonghen; Witsel, Chadli, Fellaini; De Bruyne, Defour, Benteke

cabbageandribs1875
06-09-2013, 05:59 PM
c'mon sconnie botland

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Could be messy!

hfc rd
06-09-2013, 06:22 PM
That Belgian side is very powerful. No Kompany, Hazard, Vermaelen yet the strength in depth is just crazy!

Come on lads!!!

Craig_in_Prague
06-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Surprised Snodgrass and Forrest both playing, they are both RM/RW?
Sparky needs a performance.. Rhodes & Fletcher to come back in.

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Belgium team:[/B] Courtois; Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Lombaerts, Vertonghen; Witsel, Chadli, Fellaini; De Bruyne, Defour, Benteke

No Makalamby? :confused:

Sir David Gray
06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
No Makalamby? :confused:

He plays for DR Congo.

hibs6270uk
06-09-2013, 07:02 PM
I never realised how bad a record Marshall has for Scotland. Played 6 and shipped 17! Ouch!

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2013, 07:08 PM
He plays for DR Congo.

Any relation to Dr pepper?

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Scott Brown might need to pay to get back in. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
06-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Much happening in the ecosse game?

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Belgium seeing a lot of the ball, but no real scoring chances yet.

SteveHFC
06-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Makalamby has made a few decent saves ;)

Onceinawhile
06-09-2013, 07:34 PM

I'd assume that'll be the pattern with Scotland trying to score from q set piece or wonder strike.

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2013, 07:36 PM
I'd assume that'll be the pattern with Scotland trying to score from q set piece or wonder strike.

Yip thats about it, although Scott Brown just had a fantastic strike that had the keeper beaten, just go inches wide.

Hibee87
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Forrest is honking

SteveHFC
06-09-2013, 07:39 PM
1-0 Belgium

Emerald
06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
1-0 Belgium

Davie Provan is a total knob, talks pash.

truehibernian
06-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Forrest is honking

Whitty is worse - he's having a stinker. I'd be targeting him all day long at left back.

Hibee87
06-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Whitty is worse - he's having a stinker. I'd be targeting him all day long at left back.

Whitty never a LB and honking the England game was evidence of that

hfc rd
06-09-2013, 07:45 PM

This. I think the Belgians have spotted the weak link and have put their quickest and trickiest player in De Bruyne on that side.

Onceinawhile
06-09-2013, 07:45 PM

truehibernian
06-09-2013, 07:51 PM
This. I think the Belgians have spotted the weak link and have put their quickest and trickiest player in De Bruyne on that side.

He's a poor defender but good going forward - Watty Smith actually played him in a far more effective role in Europe in the midfield centrally - his game isn't being helped by an immobile Snodgrass and Maloney is caught in two minds to either defend or stay up for the counter.

Mulgrew to left midfield for me and Rhodes/Fletcher up top with Leigh - a gamble but worth it.

I really don't rate Robert Snodgrass - folk raved about him at Livi years ago but he always had a lazy attitude and it shows on the highest stage - very cumbersome on the ball for me (sorry for the Snoddy fans). Love wee Maloney and Brown is holding his own as ever - superb player Broony.

bingo70
06-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Belgium are a class side to be fair.

How the **** are the likes of Belgium and Iceland producing such good players compared to us?

eastterrace
06-09-2013, 08:07 PM
we cant even pass the ball, and i wish they stop singing that stupid song , nae wonder were pish with that going on in the back ground

NOLA
06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
ive got belgium to win 3-0, cmon you chocolate eating beer making bams, tonys beer coupons are relying on you :grr:

Kaiser_Sauzee
06-09-2013, 08:13 PM

How the **** are the likes of Belgium and Iceland producing such good players compared to us?

Been saying we should be looking at what Iceland are doing for a few years. They are producing some real gems.

brog
06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
If WGS was called Pat Fenlon this board would be in meltdown. We have a right footed Premiership right back playing at LB to accommodate a player who can't get a game for anyone! Meanwhile a left footed LB is playing in midfield. Don't even start me on Forrest, looks like he's got out early from nursery school & wandered on to the pitch. The latest in a long line of greatly over hyped OF players. LG looking sharp but no support.

davieh
06-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Has anyone seen Alan Hutton and Harry Hill in the same room? :dunno:

California-Hibs
06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Alan Huttons a good player.

OsloHibs
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM
How's Leigh doing tonight?

NYHibby
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Belgium's population is more than twice Scotland's. It's not that small of a country.

SteveHFC
06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Sky have a problem with our shorts

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1185291_10151928572719175_1442290070_n.jpg

Pretty Boy
06-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Northern Ireland v Portugal has been ****ing mental.

brog
06-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Alan Huttons a good player.

He was a few years ago, been shocking tonight. He was emptied from Spurs, Paul Lambert won't let him near Villa first team & no one else wants him. Not sure where he goes from here.

bingo70
06-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Belgium's population is more than twice Scotland's. It's not that small of a country.

Didn't realise that, thought we were a pretty similar size.

Hibstrooper
06-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Forrest is honking

Forrest is still honking

Hibee87
06-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Forrest is still honking
:agree: 85 mins to late stachan

NYHibby
06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
By the way, Klose equalled Gerd Mueller's scoring record tonight.

Later tonight the US goes for its 13 straight win as we close in on Spain's record of 15 straight wins.

SteveHFC
06-09-2013, 08:47 PM
2-0

Hainan Hibs
06-09-2013, 08:48 PM
The CB may as well have taken out a deck chair and got the papers out the way he gave the Belgian space there.

hfc rd
06-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I think they definitely are a contender for the World Cup. Got so much talent and most likely are going to unearth even more talent like that.

eastterrace
06-09-2013, 08:51 PM
imaging paying to watch this pish, these fans are off their heeds , shaun maloney , is just mince

eastterrace
06-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I think they definitely are a contender for the World Cup. Got so much talent and most likely are going to uncover even more talent like that.

they have no chance of winning the world cup.

SteveHFC
06-09-2013, 08:53 PM

This

Germany will do the business next summer

Dunderhall
06-09-2013, 08:53 PM
He was a few years ago, been shocking tonight. He was emptied from Spurs, Paul Lambert won't let him near Villa first team & no one else wants him. Not sure where he goes from here.
If you believe the reports, Villa turned down three offers from (no division stated) la liga teams.
makes no sense to keep him on the wage bill.
Not always the best defender but offers a lot going forward IMO.

poolman
06-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Just seen Lafferty's sending off for NI

What an absolute ****in clown of a man

Chibs
06-09-2013, 09:07 PM
imaging paying to watch this pish, these fans are off their heeds , shaun maloney , is just mince
You are a sad sad man.

Bishop Hibee
06-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Sitting on the Edinburgh TA bus outside Clockwork Beer Co. Far better than the crap under Burley and Levein but we need a fit Steven and Darren Fletcher. Belgium excellent and a good bet for last 8 in Brazil if they get a decent draw.

green.and.white
06-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Didn't watch the game, but just seen the Belgian defence... And wow, what a team they have. That's without kompany and a few others. Sparky would have had little chance. Hope we did ok, Belgium are a top team.

edinburghhibee
06-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Just on route home and thought we played alright considering the pull outs and their team. Belgian fans were brilliant tonight. Still to see James Forrest do anything of note outside the spl wouldn't bother giving him a shirt midweek.

Hiber-nation
06-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Thought Belgium were there for the taking, more like 11 individuals rather than a team. Disappointed to see Strachan continuing with 1 up front when Leigh went off, reminded me of the Levein days to be honest. Very disappointing.

cabbageandribs1875
06-09-2013, 09:32 PM
7000 belgium fans, must be the biggest support any national team has brought to Hampden surely, and they were still there singing during the interviews on the radio at 10:15

truehibernian
06-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Belgium have tremendous strength in depth however that team has evolved from the youth and 21's - so they play as a team for a good reason, they've been one for years and grown together.

What I saw which was worrying was that Belgium never really had to get out of 2nd gear - strong, powerful and lean - every single player. Scottish players simply have to start taking note that fitness and what they do off the pitch is key to success. All I could think about halfway through the second half was 'I can't see any of these Belgian players sinking cocktails and having a sit in Pizza Hut or Nandos'. They all looked like athletes as well as bloody good footballers.

Some of our guys looked like they liked a burger or two - not saying for one minute Scotland didn't keep at it or were unfit, just I always feel top Euro and world sides take sport far far more seriously and professionally at this level (and every level if I'm honest). Fellaini's hair wouldn't fit through the door at Lulu, Amicus Apple or Le Monde anyway :greengrin

crewetollhibee
06-09-2013, 10:01 PM
I well remember Belgium destroying us twice in 79/80 and the same questions were being asked then as now. We never learn or improve it seems.

hibsbollah
06-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Thought Belgium were there for the taking, more like 11 individuals rather than a team. Disappointed to see Strachan continuing with 1 up front when Leigh went off, reminded me of the Levein days to be honest. Very disappointing.

I assume you're joking :dunno: 'Belgium were there for the taking?'. They blew us away in every area of the pitch.

Pete
06-09-2013, 10:38 PM

Do you reckon?

Kompany, Hazard, Dembele and Vermaelen weren't even on the pitch tonight.

I'd fancy Belgium against anyone in Europe and they would more than match Germany.

Hibby 2005
06-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Belgium have tremendous strength in depth however that team has evolved from the youth and 21's - so they play as a team for a good reason, they've been one for years and grown together.

What I saw which was worrying was that Belgium never really had to get out of 2nd gear - strong, powerful and lean - every single player. Scottish players simply have to start taking note that fitness and what they do off the pitch is key to success. All I could think about halfway through the second half was 'I can't see any of these Belgian players sinking cocktails and having a sit in Pizza Hut or Nandos'. They all looked like athletes as well as bloody good footballers.

Some of our guys looked like they liked a burger or two - not saying for one minute Scotland didn't keep at it or were unfit, just I always feel top Euro and world sides take sport far far more seriously and professionally at this level (and every level if I'm honest). Fellaini's hair wouldn't fit through the door at Lulu, Amicus Apple or Le Monde anyway :greengrin

2nd gear? Belgium barely got out of 3rd gear tonight.

20 years ago Scotland's footballers could drink, smoke, play football and still win games but the rest of the world has evolved while we've stood still in terms of good habits and professional attitude.

It's a Scottish, maybe British thing. How many threads do we see here on the weekend especially when there's an early ko asking what time do the pubs open? Then, when we're beaten and despite the irony, there's always the threads commenting on players up in George Street on a night out when they should really know better.

Andy74
06-09-2013, 10:47 PM

Struggled without Pat's guidance.

Hibby 2005
06-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Struggled without Pat's guidance.

Good one :greengrin

ian cruise
07-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Do you reckon?

Kompany, Hazard, Dembele and Vermaelen weren't even on the pitch tonight.

I'd fancy Belgium against anyone in Europe and they would more than match Germany.

Dembele came on, granted not enough time to really make an impact. Belgium look good but they aren't good enough to win it. I second the shout for a last 8 place. Hopefully get some decent odds somewhere in that.

edinburghhibee
07-09-2013, 01:49 AM

I thought sparky done alright tonight he was starved of service throughout but had some decent touches. He turned vertongan (sp??) inside out on the half way line just before being taken off and the big defender just sweeped his legs from him to give away the foul. Leigh would have got in behind them had the big man not done it.

CB_NO3
07-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Scotland are so depressing to watch. We are beat before the game has even started with our chasing shaddow tactics. Everytime we take to the pitch we allow the other team to have the ball most of the game. When you allow the other team to have the ball most of the game it gives them confidence and sets the tone for the whole game. Even the worse teams in the world can pass us to death. Ok, you may get the odd good result aka Croatia but on another day they could have easily beat us 4-1. We must be the only team in the world that has 10 men behind the ball for 80 minutes a game. I watched the highlights of Iceland, Estonia, Northern Ireland who all had a good go tonight by attacking.

Hiber-nation
07-09-2013, 03:54 AM
I assume you're joking :dunno: 'Belgium were there for the taking?'. They blew us away in every area of the pitch.

Not joking at all - we have had some great results/performances at Hampden against better teams than Begium.

ian cruise
07-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Main issues last night for me were Scotland's first touch (abysmal) and passing. We looked ok when running with he ball but there was no killer pass or end product, so Belguim were happy just to let us run around till our hearts were content, we never really looked like troubling them.

Sylar
07-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Thought Belgium looked like the class side we know them to be and the blew us off the park. They'll be no pushovers in the World Cup next year, that's for sure. Scarily good, physical and fast side they have.

From a Scotland perspective, it was disappointing. Nothing up front and nobody to hold the ball up whatsoever - Leigh did his best but was ultimately a lonely figure.

How James Forrest gets anywhere near our national side, I'll never know - worst player on the park along with Whittaker last night. He's pacey, no doubt, but absolutely clueless what to do with the ball when he gets it.

Who on earth was the young guy who came on for us near the end (Anyi)? He looked decent for the brief time that he was on - plenty of pace and got away from their RB very well at times.

Iggy Pope
07-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Thought Belgium looked like the class side we know them to be and the blew us off the park. They'll be no pushovers in the World Cup next year, that's for sure. Scarily good, physical and fast side they have.

From a Scotland perspective, it was disappointing. Nothing up front and nobody to hold the ball up whatsoever - Leigh did his best but was ultimately a lonely figure.

How James Forrest gets anywhere near our national side, I'll never know - worst player on the park along with Whittaker last night. He's pacey, no doubt, but absolutely clueless what to do with the ball when he gets it.

Who on earth was the young guy who came on for us near the end (Anyi)? He looked decent for the brief time that he was on - plenty of pace and got away from their RB very well at times.

Been very impressive for Watford.

hibsbollah
07-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Not joking at all - we have had some great results/performances at Hampden against better teams than Begium.

That's very different from what you said, which was 'Belgium were there for the taking'. We are miles below them in every aspect of the game from what I can see. In a one off encounter, if we play to our full ability, they have a massive off day and we get a chunk of luck, we will beat them one time out of maybe ten.

Hiber-nation
07-09-2013, 11:42 AM
That's very different from what you said, which was 'Belgium were there for the taking'. We are miles below them in every aspect of the game from what I can see. In a one off encounter, if we play to our full ability, they have a massive off day and we get a chunk of luck, we will beat them one time out of maybe ten.

Fairy nuff, I just didn't think they were that good...strong and fast and everyone with a good touch but still a wee bit to go before they are up there with Germany & Spain IMO. Would like to see them do well in Brazil though.

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I watched the game last night, and we were miles behind them in talent. What is becoming apparent to me is how bigger and stronger these foreign teams are becoming, we look very small against teams these days.

Ability on the ball and movement is so superior, even with the smaller nations now, why?:confused:

The average Scottish player seems to be a good few inches smaller than their counterpart across Europe??????

And we all know how the saying goes, i'd prefer a good big un to a good small un.

Sylar
07-09-2013, 12:54 PM
I watched the game last night, and we were miles behind them in talent. What is becoming apparent to me is how bigger and stronger these foreign teams are becoming, we look very small against teams these days.

Ability on the ball and movement is so superior, even with the smaller nations now, why?:confused:

The average Scottish player seems to be a good few inches smaller than their counterpart across Europe??????

And we all know how the saying goes, i'd prefer a good big un to a good small un.

The Spanish team might have a few things to say about that, no?

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2013, 01:06 PM
The Spanish team might have a few things to say about that, no?

Aye you could be right, although they do seem to be the exception? :agree:

hibsbollah
07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

:agree: The excuse regularly trotted out for our abysmal levels of skill is 'we are a small country with a small pool of players to pick from'. Tell that to Uruguay, Croatia, Denmark, Bosnia, and Macedonia (best team in the world if you take population into account) who have produced some of the worlds best players and qualify for major tournaments regularly.

BarneyK
07-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I think we do our best when it comes to these matches but the SFA have to take responsibility for the way we have been allowed to sleepwalk into this position that we are in where just about every country will better us technically. If we want to compete on this stage we have to start doing everything properly, from grass roots upwards.

Pedantic_Hibee
07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Belgium or Uruguay are my outside tips for next year.