PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Gunning Suspension

brog
06-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Some random & occasionally contradictory thoughts on Gunning's 3 match suspension handed down by the Compliance officer.
1. How was Gunning able to play last weekend? KT got 2 games for his part in the incident, I presume GG only got 1?
2. In principle I 100% agree with Jackie Mac's thoughts re selective trial by TV. We suffered more than most in last 2 seasons, particularly with LG incidents at Cowdenbeath & home vs St J.
3. Part of me can't help thinking it's karma, both for Gunning & Jackie M who perhaps now appreciates more the different criteria applied to non OF teams.
I was surprised there was no thread on this, apologies if I missed. I'm in London so mostly don't see Sportscene so would appreciate any thoughts both on the incident & on TV coverage.

Mark79
06-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Was it not to do with bookings from
Previous season.

Wee Scottie Dug
06-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Some random & occasionally contradictory thoughts on Gunning's 3 match suspension handed down by the Compliance officer.
1. How was Gunning able to play last weekend? KT got 2 games for his part in the incident, I presume GG only got 1?2. In principle I 100% agree with Jackie Mac's thoughts re selective trial by TV. We suffered more than most in last 2 seasons, particularly with LG incidents at Cowdenbeath & home vs St J.
3. Part of me can't help thinking it's karma, both for Gunning & Jackie M who perhaps now appreciates more the different criteria applied to non OF teams.
I was surprised there was no thread on this, apologies if I missed. I'm in London so mostly don't see Sportscene so would appreciate any thoughts both on the incident & on TV coverage.

Think GG got 2 games the same as KT but as it was for 'violen conduct' it carries across all competitions and Dundee Utd played Dumbarton in the League cup in midweek before the Celtc game ...... unlike us who got the bye into the next round .......

Hibstrooper
06-09-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm with Dundee United on this, the BBC now select who gets suspended by how they edit their highlights.

They can pick and choose what they show, if the editor was a fan of club x what is to stop him not including crimes by his team whilst highlighting those of all the rival teams?

2 options I see, either there is no trial by TV at all or an official video where all incidents missed by the referee we pulled together and reviewed by an independent panel.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I said on the match thread on the Utd v Celtic game that he was a certainty for a ban, lets be honest, the guy is a fud of the highest order!

Sir David Gray
06-09-2013, 04:49 PM
A lot of it is down to the highlights that are shown on Sportscene. However I don't know how Dundee Utd can defend Gunning, after viewing the footage. He clearly kicked out and if it had been spotted by the referee at the time, he would have been sent off.

There needs to be a fresh approach to how these cases are handled though. You cannot have people being hauled up in front of the compliance officer and other people getting away with it, on the basis that the editor of Sportscene has chosen to only include certain incidents in his highlights show.

theonlywayisup
06-09-2013, 04:50 PM
No sympathy at all from me. He deserves all he gets!

Goes in high against KT, a catalyst to what followed.
A shocking challenge on a Celtic player in the first half that went unpunished. You could see that he had no chance of winning the ball, yet still charges into the back of the Celtic player. Result is Celtic player stretchered off.
A sneaky kick out against another celtic player in the same game.

No deserves all he gets!

green day
06-09-2013, 04:50 PM
I said on the match thread on the Utd v Celtic game that he was a certainty for a ban, lets be honest, the guy is a fud of the highest order!

Indeed - and if it was KT who (on return for suspension for the Gunning altercation) got himself another suspension for kicking out at a player, we would rightly be calling him a tube as well.

The guy is looking a liability - and the totting up system (does it still exist?) will be a nightmare for him / Utd.

brog
06-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Think GG got 2 games the same as KT but as it was for 'violen conduct' it carries across all competitions and Dundee Utd played Dumbarton in the League cup in midweek before the Celtc game ...... unlike us who got the bye into the next round .......

Makes sense, thanks!

Sir David Gray
06-09-2013, 05:02 PM

Correct. :agree:

HoboHarry
06-09-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm with Dundee United on this, the BBC now select who gets suspended by how they edit their highlights.

They can pick and choose what they show, if the editor was a fan of club x what is to stop him not including crimes by his team whilst highlighting those of all the rival teams?

2 options I see, either there is no trial by TV at all or an official video where all incidents missed by the referee we pulled together and reviewed by an independent panel.
How do you know that Vincent Lunny (? spelling) relies on the BBC? Perhaps he has access to the full video of all the top games....

brog
08-09-2013, 06:52 AM
How do you know that Vincent Lunny (? spelling) relies on the BBC? Perhaps he has access to the full video of all the top games....

I'm sure he does have access but I don't see him sitting trawling through a minimum of 9 hours of football each week looking for unpunished incidents. Also not coincidence that i believe all the retroactive punishments in last season or so, including tat mans, were highlighted on TV. Can anyone remember a non TV retroactive punishment, ie one not initiated by the match officials?

ancient hibee
08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Says it all about football that the manager of a club has absolutely nothing to say about his player kicking an opponent-for no reason other than he thought he could get away with it-after the ball has gone.There was a lot of debate as to whether he had deliberately followed through on Thomson-don't think there's any doubt now.

ahibby
10-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Remember JM kicking a Falkirk player from behind and being sent off. He also did Scott Brown when he scored Hibs 3rd in the 3-1 at Celtic Park. Scott had already put the ball in the net when JM slid in from the side, studs up and did Scott damage. As has been said, it's rubbing off on his Dundee Utd players.

brog
10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Remember JM kicking a Falkirk player from behind and being sent off. He also did Scott Brown when he scored Hibs 3rd in the 3-1 at Celtic Park. Scott had already put the ball in the net when JM slid in from the side, studs up and did Scott damage. As has been said, it's rubbing off on his Dundee Utd players.

Yep & rolled about like Suarez when caught by Deek at Darkheid, result, Deek sent off! Not too much time for JM but I continue to think the principle of selective trial by TV is wrong & that D Utd were correct to highlight the issue.