PDA

View Full Version : Balls... (The route of a nations downfall)

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2013, 02:32 PM

In a Primary school not too far from the centre of the Hibee universe, the following except is from the parents tell-off I mean newsletter. Shocking. I've a mind once the exact position is clarified to air this on off the ball. No wonder we have an obesity crisis and lack of take up of sport. When my wife read this to me I was furious. I accept in certain areas of the playground where folks line up but There is a larger playground with goals where playing interferes with no one. I presume it's a broad brush approach which is wrong IMO or its a case of health and safety gone mad.

Andy74
06-09-2013, 02:36 PM

In a Primary school not too far from the centre of the Hibee universe, the following except is from the parents tell-off I mean newsletter. Shocking. I've a mind once the exact position is clarified to air this on off the ball. No wonder we have an obesity crisis and lack of take up of sport. When my wife read this to me I was furious. I accept in certain areas of the playground where folks line up but There is a larger playground with goals where playing interferes with no one. I presume it's a broad brush approach which is wrong IMO or its a case of health and safety gone mad.

It's only before and after school though. Play times and lunch times seem fine. Although we played with marbles and tennis balls if we had to in my day Im not sure before and after school were opportunities for football really.

SaulGoodman
06-09-2013, 02:45 PM
That seems reasonable IMO.

I mind at school the little bairns used to keep getting pelted with the ball by mistake when they were going to nursery.

MartinfaePorty
06-09-2013, 02:50 PM
At my primary school (1976-1982) we had a concrete playground and ALL balls were banned, apart from those sponge balls that disentegrated after a week of relentless booting up and down the makeshift pitch. I think this was due to 1 too many windows being broken (including where a baseball was being used in a form of netball!). Touch rugbywas also banned, after someone got a bust nose in a scrum. Therefore, this is nothing new: in fact, they seem to have it better these days, if they are at least allowed ball games at breaktime!

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Blummin' eck. I was obv spoiled at Stockbridge Primary (76-83). Concrete playground we played before, during and after school no problem.

We were still rubbish tho' ;) and regularly got beaten - I think in all my years we only ever got a draw LOL... Maybe the teachers felt sorry for us :greengrin.

Still seems like a bit of a sad state of affairs to me but if its nothing out of the ordinary then I guess that just school life.

Beefster
06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Kids should think themselves lucky that they can afford footballs nowadays. In my day, we had to beat up the wee speccy guy from Mrs Henderson's class for entertainment.

Etc.

bigwheel
06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Bring back the mitre's with the pimples on it!

offshorehibby
06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
We were definitely spoiled at Silverknowse primary. 2 big grass pitches. I left in '74. We won the Leith schools cup and the Macay shield on a regular bases. Sadly the pitches and the school are long gone.

SquashedFrogg
06-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Bring back the mitre's with the pimples on it!

Mouldmasters iirc

Keith_M
06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Am I the only one that though that was a wind-up? Too many mentions of playing with their balls for my liking................

bigwheel
06-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Mouldmasters iirc

Yes. Size 4 when you're young :)

WindyMiller
06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
A big ball of paper wrapped in elastic bands at Holy Cross.

Stanton and O'Rourke did alright, though.

:cb

Gus Fring
06-09-2013, 06:30 PM
I went to Leith Primary and it had a bloody great big floral feature in the middle so there was little football for us. Sometimes on really nice days we'd be allowed onto the grass beside the school.

Eyrie
06-09-2013, 06:55 PM
It was balls made of old socks in my day and they never kept their shape. Maybe I could claim that as the reason I never made it as a footballer? :dunno:

Baw187
06-09-2013, 07:00 PM
At my primary school (1976-1982) we had a concrete playground and ALL balls were banned, apart from those sponge balls that disentegrated after a week of relentless booting up and down the makeshift pitch. I think this was due to 1 too many windows being broken (including where a baseball was being used in a form of netball!). Touch rugbywas also banned, after someone got a bust nose in a scrum. Therefore, this is nothing new: in fact, they seem to have it better these days, if they are at least allowed ball games at breaktime!

That lack if practice will surely account for why (like me) you're pish at footie!

snooky
06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Alas, we are living in a "Thou Shalt Not" society these days.
Another one is added to the list each day.

FREEDOM!!!!! :soapbox:

monktonharp
06-09-2013, 07:55 PM
I was at newcraighall primary, until 1966. we would have played all day but the teacher used to call us in! the girls played netball in their playground, same as us wanting to play all day. we used to throw the ball onto the sloped roof, and that was ko when it hit the ground. the ba's gaun up, the ba's gaun up! hard surface, church wall on one side,glass windows on one, main road at one goal end and a big pile o' coal at the other for the school boiler.! never done us any harm, won the epssa cup that year:greengrin