PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with Fenlon till at least the end of the season?

The Sea-gull
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Anyone else think that, barring a relegation threatening run of form, this is the case?

The board will not want to dismiss him as it will cost and the PR of another managerial departure would not be good. Could it be that they are just sticking by him hoping it will all come good and if it doesn't then a simple non-renewal of his contract takes place at the end of the season.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with them sticking by their man but only if they really belive in him and not just in hope and an attempt to save face.

It just seems that they might be willing to write off this season coz of the 15 point cushion at the bottom rather than see it as a chance to kick on while one big team is weak and another is not in the league.

GreenCastle
06-09-2013, 12:48 PM
:agree:

Tragic thing is - we are currently missing the best opportunity we have had for a long time to finish 2nd at least with the yams and newco struggling.

Won't be long till both are back challenging and will will just be the same old Hibs rather than becoming stronger in both their demise.

Hibee87
06-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Unfortunatly I think this will be the case, added to the fact who the eff would we get just now to replace fenlon?

Was reading an interesting article about duncan fergusson doing youth/reserve with Everton and is meant to be getting a decent review, and was even calls from certain people to give him the Everton job when Moyes left......he would certainly get the players battling thats for sure :agree:

Golden Bear
06-09-2013, 12:57 PM
There's no doubt in mind that we'll have to endure the tedium of PF's "football" until the end of the season ---------- at least.

The Board orchestrated a show of support for PF from several high profile figures in the aftermath of the Derby debacle and that was confirmation that they have no intention of doing what needs to be done.

It amounts to a dereliction of duties.

1068gary
06-09-2013, 12:58 PM
unless we lose 4 games in a row, he's going nowhere, meantime Rod will be scouring the land for a replacement that fits the allocated budget

Pretty Boy
06-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Yep almost certainly.

A huge gamble imo as the result of said gamble won't be known until next years STs go on sale.

It's also worth remembering we need 2 teams to be worse than us this season to avoid the play offs.

Jack
06-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Anyone else think that, barring a relegation threatening run of form, this is the case?

The board will not want to dismiss him as it will cost and the PR of another managerial departure would not be good. Could it be that they are just sticking by him hoping it will all come good and if it doesn't then a simple non-renewal of his contract takes place at the end of the season.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with them sticking by their man but only if they really belive in him and not just in hope and an attempt to save face.

It just seems that they might be willing to write off this season coz of the 15 point cushion at the bottom rather than see it as a chance to kick on while one big team is weak and another is not in the league.

Shock horror '<<Football Club>> sack manager sensation'. Maybe once upon a time, not now :greengrin

Stevie Reid
06-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm not convinced that it would cost that much to sack him, so therefore don't think that's the reason. FWIW, I would guess that them not sacking him yet is 75% due to the constant changing of managers being far from successful, and 25% hope that he can turn things around.

Of course if we continue at this rate of points per game and with the horrendous displays, they won't have any choice.

Just_Jimmy
06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
There is not one person who could level charges of not backing Fenlon at the board. They have given him decent money every transfer window and have kept him on as he totted up some of the worst results and performances in our long history.

The only charge that can be levelled is being so far out of the touch with the fans that Fenlon is still in a job.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2013, 01:48 PM
We were told to be patient whilst the infrastructure was put in place, we have been. We now have the best squad on paper outwith Celtic, lets have a man that knows how to best utilise what he has at his disposal. PLEASE!

Off the bar
06-09-2013, 02:08 PM
*** happy clapper alert ***

what if the boy Zoubir really clicks and starts setting up chances for Collins to finish, next 3 would be very winnable if that happens! Then we'd have another 6 points on the board and be through to next round of the cup!

unlikely but would people feel differently about Fenlon then?

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Nah!

Off the bar
06-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Nah!

fair enough! but the OP has a point, short of a total catastrophe we're stuck with Fenlon till the end of the season.

Hibby 2005
06-09-2013, 02:23 PM
*** happy clapper alert ***

what if the boy Zoubir really clicks and starts setting up chances for Collins to finish, next 3 would be very winnable if that happens! Then we'd have another 6 points on the board and be through to next round of the cup!

unlikely but would people feel differently about Fenlon then?

The new boy will be on the bench as Fenlon is not an impulsive guy but he will be brought on with the score at 0-1 or 0-2. I'd love to be proved wrong.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm hoping to be proved wrong, but, I've just had enough of the guy. I'm getting to the pig-headed stage about it too. He won't be gone until the end of the season though, as per the OP.

Andy74
06-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm glad somebody is finally talking about this...

Persevere80
06-09-2013, 03:57 PM
After the derby I thought he will get until the split. He has signed 10 players which is quite a lot, so I can see it being until the end of the season. But if we don't get into the top 6 this season then we'll all know that is not good enough.

Keith_M
06-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Petrie has said that there is no question of Fenlon leaving. He's also allowing him to buy/sign players.

I think that's your answer right there.

3pm
06-09-2013, 04:13 PM
When was he appointed?

Pretty Boy
06-09-2013, 04:23 PM
When was he appointed?

Just under 2 years ago.

stoneyburn hibs
06-09-2013, 06:10 PM
I cannot suffer the pish we are being served up for a whole season, it just doesn't bear thinking about.

Thecat23
06-09-2013, 06:19 PM
The new boy will be on the bench as Fenlon is not an impulsive guy but he will be brought on with the score at 0-1 or 0-2. I'd love to be proved wrong.

You will be proved wrong ;)

From what I'm told, he's been outstanding in training. His close ball control and the way he passes players with ease has been mentioned a couple of times.

So fingers crossed he settles in.

basehibby
08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
:agree: I think that barring disasters Fenlon is here until the season's end. I think the board have recognised the negative effect of so much managerial turmoil over the last five years and want to give the current incumbent every chance to build his side and see his vision through.

Hopefully he changes a lot of minds in the meantime and we DO end up having a successful season - that would probably mean a contract extension of course but before folk start decrying me for even conceiving such a monstrous outcome, he would presumably have to have earned it!

Which begs the question though - given his Hibs record to date - two cup finals balanced out by two disgraceful horsings and some very poor home form - what final league placing would Fenlon have to achieve to earn an extension in the fans' eyes?

Just_Jimmy
08-09-2013, 12:10 PM
:agree: I think that barring disasters Fenlon is here until the season's end. I think the board have recognised the negative effect of so much managerial turmoil over the last five years and want to give the current incumbent every chance to build his side and see his vision through.

Hopefully he changes a lot of minds in the meantime and we DO end up having a successful season - that would probably mean a contract extension of course but before folk start decrying me for even conceiving such a monstrous outcome, he would presumably have to have earned it!

Which begs the question though - given his Hibs record to date - two cup finals balanced out by two disgraceful horsings and some very poor home form - what final league placing would Fenlon have to achieve to earn an extension in the fans' eyes?

It's not about results for me anymore. It's about performances. I cannot stand watching Hibs under Fenlon.

Col2
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
You will be proved wrong ;)

From what I'm told, he's been outstanding in training. His close ball control and the way he passes players with ease has been mentioned a couple of times.

So fingers crossed he settles in.

Lets hope to god he is and a speedy recovery for Harris. Just someone / somebody to get us of our seats would be nice.

basehibby
08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
It's not about results for me anymore. It's about performances. I cannot stand watching Hibs under Fenlon.

So - if he produced a massive winning streak and we finished second you'd still want rid?

cam2644
08-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Fenlon's length of tenure won't be a big issue when the history books are written. What will be is the classic missed opportunity of these seasons to establish Hibs at very near the top of Scottish football with other big guns out of action for whatever reason.

allezsauzee
08-09-2013, 03:17 PM
We've got about 8 new players in the first team squad. Why don't we give them more more than 5 league games to settle in.

Holmesdale Hibs
08-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Looks like the plan is definitely to keep him in place but that was the plan for CC and he was punted before Xmas, or there abouts. I think PF will be given 2-3 months longer before a decision is made but if we're near the bottom of the table and still playing brutal football, I could see him being fired even if there isn't an imminent relegation threat.

snooky
08-09-2013, 03:51 PM
When's the AGM? (Annual Getridof Manager)

Just_Jimmy
08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
So - if he produced a massive winning streak and we finished second you'd still want rid?

to do that we'd need to likely see a massive turn around in playing style, such as trying to win games at home. Given the god awful fare he has served up since day one then I would say that is pretty unlikely. If he gets us second in the league I'll congratulate him, but I bet you that even if he did the crowds at ER wouldn't improve in percentage terms like they did under Mowbray's style for example.

Fenlon's Hibs are horrible to watch. Devoid of pace, power, imagination and creativity. Hopefully the new lad and Harris can address that when fit and in the team.

I doubt it.

basehibby
08-09-2013, 09:56 PM
to do that we'd need to likely see a massive turn around in playing style, such as trying to win games at home. Given the god awful fare he has served up since day one then I would say that is pretty unlikely. If he gets us second in the league I'll congratulate him, but I bet you that even if he did the crowds at ER wouldn't improve in percentage terms like they did under Mowbray's style for example.

Fenlon's Hibs are horrible to watch. Devoid of pace, power, imagination and creativity. Hopefully the new lad and Harris can address that when fit and in the team.

I doubt it.

:agree: Got to say I've also been far from impressed this season. But I thought we were getting somewhere towards the end of the last and think a few wins and goals could make a big difference to what looks an improved squad albeit without the brilliant Griffiths.
Like most though, I've thought we've been desperate for a bit of pace and width this term, and now we might just have signed someone to give us that I'm all of a sudden looking forward to the next game with something approaching excitement and anticipation. I hope it turns out to be justified.

IberianHibernian
08-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Lets hope Pat is still our manager for a long time yet after an improvement in results and performances ( with Harris , Zoubir and all others improving together ) . It`s what we all want isn`t it ? All of us except a tiny minority who have been critical since day one perhaps .

IberianHibernian
08-09-2013, 10:23 PM
There is not one person who could level charges of not backing Fenlon at the board. They have given him decent money every transfer window and have kept him on as he totted up some of the worst results and performances in our long history.

The only charge that can be levelled is being so far out of the touch with the fans that Fenlon is still in a job.Out of interest , do you have any statistics to back this up ? We all know that Fenlon has signed a lot of players since he arrived just as McLeish , Mowbray , CC , JC , Yogi and Mixu did too . We also know that standard of Scottish players has fallen dramatically in last 10 to 20 years and TV revenue has fallen so that successive managers of Hibs ( and our league competitors ) have had to sign successively inferior players , meaning that only the odd signing like Griffiths for us or McKay for ICT will make a big impact unlike days of Sauzee or Latapy for us or maybe Skacel for Hearts when clubs had money to buy expensive foreigners . Previously we got money by selling Scott Brown etc , in the last 2 seasons we`ve been able to sign because club has got to 2 cup finals with same manager and remember that we lost our best players ( on loan or not ) in summer . Also do you think we signed Fenlon`s first priorities ? Not meaning stupid requests where we had no chance but do you think he wouldn`t have liked a proven and fully fit right back for example ?

Just_Jimmy
08-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Out of interest , do you have any statistics to back this up ? We all know that Fenlon has signed a lot of players since he arrived just as McLeish , Mowbray , CC , JC , Yogi and Mixu did too . We also know that standard of Scottish players has fallen dramatically in last 10 to 20 years and TV revenue has fallen so that successive managers of Hibs ( and our league competitors ) have had to sign successively inferior players , meaning that only the odd signing like Griffiths for us or McKay for ICT will make a big impact unlike days of Sauzee or Latapy for us or maybe Skacel for Hearts when clubs had money to buy expensive foreigners . Previously we got money by selling Scott Brown etc , in the last 2 seasons we`ve been able to sign because club has got to 2 cup finals with same manager and remember that we lost our best players ( on loan or not ) in summer . Also do you think we signed Fenlon`s first priorities ? Not meaning stupid requests where we had no chance but do you think he wouldn`t have liked a proven and fully fit right back for example ?

With all due respect I don't totally know where you are coming from?

Are you suggesting that Fenlon hasn't been backed? Either because he didn't get his first choice targets or because the players he did are worse than the players mcleish et al were able to sign?

He's competing with motherwell and ICT of today. Not motherwell of 2000/01. All managers miss their first choice targets at times, just ask David Moyes for example.

Fenlon has been allowed to spend £200k (or thereabouts) on one player when everyone else is signing frees. Hes been allowed to sign a number of players and has so far failed to make an impression. He has been backed.

lEXO
08-09-2013, 11:03 PM
If we keep playing the way we are he wont last to Christmas never mind the end of the season.

Gatecrasher
09-09-2013, 06:52 AM
2 things about this.

1. if fenlons still in charge later this season it will make it easier to spend cold winter match days in my nice warm home.
2. if the board do keep Fenlon until the end of the season, whether his contract is renewed or not I will be saving myself £400 around march/april next year.

I don't want this to be the case but there we have it.

DanHFC1875
09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
When's the AGM? (Annual Getridof Manager)

I would love to say it will depend on results, but if it does, why is he still there lol.
Surely more ***** results can't be ignored...... I'd gladly have us turn the corner and have a decent season and then not renew his contract, can't see this happening though :confused:

PatHead
09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Interesting reason given for the Carlisle manager being sacked- "Unfortunately the continued dip in attendances, in direct relation to results, left all parties with no other option," said a club statement. Doubtless our board will take this into account as well.

mcfly
09-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I would fully expect a fans revolt if we do not play better and beat st mirren at home next week.

I give him till then before the Fenlon must go chants