PDA

View Full Version : The most positive thing to come out of Hibs post Calderclown?

Viva_Palmeiras
04-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Has there been anything to top Griffiths mesmerising form?

weonlywon6-2
04-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Alex Harris

Davy Mac
04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Has there been anything to top Griffiths mesmerising form?

No matter how many fxckwits we have or have had in charge since blunderwood we still have our club.

We have a stadium to be proud of, fantastic training centre (all my laddies have played there) and fans that still care about our brilliant club and that will do for me.

Renewed my season ticket this year, first time since Mixu finished me off but hey there I was on Saturday in my new seat in the east, drum was back and my 3 laddies were shouting for the might Hibees!

Sorry Viva a bit off topic but there you are!

GGTTH

weonlywon6-2
04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Alex Harris

Chump
04-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Alex Harris

I think we should all take the foot off the gas with Harris and not get too excited - yes he grabbed the semi final by the scruff of the neck but his performances pre injury this season resembled a rabbit in the headlights!!

he looks like he's been found out already to me and is a one trick pony.....didn't get past anyone this season and looked like he ran out of ideas before the injury.

I would love to be proved wrong and see him burst back onto the scene once fit but watch this space for me!!

MrRobot
04-09-2013, 08:26 PM
2 Scottish cup finals. Despite the results, 2 in a row is still very good going.

johnrebus
04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I think we should all take the foot off the gas with Harris and not get too excited - yes he grabbed the semi final by the scruff of the neck but his performances pre injury this season resembled a rabbit in the headlights!!

he looks like he's been found out already to me and is a one trick pony.....didn't get past anyone this season and looked like he ran out of ideas before the injury.

I would love to be proved wrong and see him burst back onto the scene once fit but watch this space for me!!

You can expect to be hammered into the ground with a blunt instrument very soon by all the Uber Hibbies and Happy Clappers..........,

:rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Given that the majority of what we have witnessed since late 2007 has been absolute pish and has included a fair few shocking results, the fact we still have 9000+ willing to watch us on a regular basis is a huge positive.

It shows we really do have some fantastic fans despite what some would have us believe.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
:tee hee:
You can expect to be hammered into the ground with a blunt instrument very soon by all the Uber Hibbies and Happy Clappers..........,

Davy Mac
04-09-2013, 08:34 PM
given that the majority of what we have witnessed since late 2007 has been absolute pish and has included a fair few shocking results, the fact we still have 9000+ willing to watch us on a regular basis is a huge positive.

It shows we really do have some fantastic fans despite what some would have us believe.

correct.....

johnrebus
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Given that the majority of what we have witnessed since late 2007 has been absolute pish and has included a fair few shocking results, the fact we still have 9000+ willing to watch us on a regular basis is a huge positive.

It's incredible really. I have nothing but admiration for those that sit through this turgid **** on offer most weeks.

:not worth

But I am not one of them, and never will be again until Petrie (never mind Fenlon) is out of the door.

:dummytit:

IberianHibernian
04-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Despite very negative results in finals getting to successive SC finals for the first time in 90 years was great and matches on way to finals were memorable - support at Kilmarnock and how team responded to it for example . Cup runs must have helped financially too . Agree with comments about not expecting too much from Harris but he`s definitely a very exciting prospect and if he doesn`t get kicked to bits by cloggers could make a big impact -, if he regains fitness and form we`ve got to try to get him on a long contract since he`s an entertainer and there are almost no entertainers at Hibs or elsewhere in Scotland . Don`t know any Hearts fans so don`t give much importance to matches against them but am surprised last season`s Derby record hasn`t been mentioned as a positive .

Pretty Boy
04-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Despite very negative results in finals getting to successive SC finals for the first time in 90 years was great and matches on way to finals were memorable - support at Kilmarnock and how team responded to it for example . Cup runs must have helped financially too . Agree with comments about not expecting too much from Harris but he`s definitely a very exciting prospect and if he doesn`t get kicked to bits by cloggers could make a big impact -, if he regains fitness and form we`ve got to try to get him on a long contract since he`s an entertainer and there are almost no entertainers at Hibs or elsewhere in Scotland . Don`t know any Hearts fans so don`t give much importance to matches against them but am surprised last season`s Derby record hasn`t been mentioned as a positive .

Given our derby record over the last 30 years, one season of 2 wins and 3 draws is pleasant but doesn't exactly get me excited.

Our superiority over Hearts from the mid 60s to the early 80s saw them respond massively. We need to put together a similar period of long term dominance imo.

Chump
04-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Don't really make my comments to impress the Hibs.net hierarchy.....just stating what I saw this season before he got injured - not really sure anyone can disagree with the statement

hfc rd
04-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Maybe one of them being finally sorting out the GK position that has been a nightmare area for God knows how long!

Jonnyboy
04-09-2013, 09:11 PM

Despite the suggestion made by John Rebus, I don't consider myself either an uber Hibby or happy clapper but I do tend to lean towards whatever positives there are

With that in mind may I comment on your observations re Harris?

To me your post is kinda indicative of the times we find ourselves living in where pretty much everything has to be instant. After a few great games last season, Harris was hailed as the new golden boy whereas this season he failed to shine and has been described by you as resembling a rabbit caught in the headlights.

In my mind both reactions are OTT. The laddie proved he's got talent but also proved he's young and will be inconsistent. So, in a way I agree with the first part of your statement in that we labelled him as a genius far too quickly and to an extent I agree with the second part of your statement in that he looked young and inexperienced pre injury. I do think suggesting he is a one trick pony has taken it too far though :wink:

johnrebus
04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Don't really make my comments to impress the Hibs.net hierarchy.....just stating what I saw this season before he got injured - not really sure anyone can disagree with the statement

I agree with your statement completely.

I just hope he does not end up like Callum Booth and others before him,

Onceinawhile
04-09-2013, 09:56 PM

That 45 minutes he's had this season is really the time to judge him, rather than the 5-15 games he had where he looked good last season.

Positives since calderdiddy left:

1st win over HMFC for a while.
1st win at Tynie for a while.
A renewed insistence on using the players from our youth team.
Going 10+ games unbeaten last season.
2 Scottish Cup Finals.
Keeping the ball from a throw in (and creating a chance!!) on Saturday.

And for me personally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHC-GBDqfw was just fantastic.

Unseen work
04-09-2013, 10:06 PM
For me the positives is that we hit the bottom with him. Everything was terrible, attitudes, players, no stability, nothing.

Now even though some would disagree, we've made progeess and assembled a good squad of players that should be challenging between 2-4th in the league IMO. Wether that be with or without Fenlon. I personally do think he will turn it around but he's really got to start showing it, he can't be given much more time if he keeps going the way we have this season. If he does go I will be greatfull for what he is done, changed around the mentality of the club, got in solid pros and other teams best performers, introduced youngsters thoroughly etc

Pedantic_Hibee
04-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Racist post IMO.

Fergus52
04-09-2013, 11:03 PM
2 Scottish cup finals. Despite the results, 2 in a row is still very good going.

:agree:.

Too many fans forget that getting to the final in itself is a strong achievement.

monktonharp
04-09-2013, 11:23 PM

I would love to be proved wrong and see him burst back onto the scene once fit but watch this space for me!!disagree, the young man did have a poor intro, into the new season but in the game he got injured ,iirc, he had done nowt in the first half and was pretty disappointing overall. it was late on in the second half that he suddenly woke up and was doing a few good things on the left hand side, when he was scythed in half by the right back. subbed after that. cant remember but could have been as early as the'Well game:confused:

monktonharp
04-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Maybe one of them being finally sorting out the GK position that has been a nightmare area for God knows how long!:agree:has been some sort of solace to us.

monktonharp
04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Despite the suggestion made by John Rebus, I don't consider myself either an uber Hibby or happy clapper but I do tend to lean towards whatever positives there are

To me your post is kinda indicative of the times we find ourselves living in where pretty much everything has to be instant. After a few great games last season, Harris was hailed as the new golden boy whereas this season he failed to shine and has been described by you as resembling a rabbit caught in the headlights.

In my mind both reactions are OTT. The laddie proved he's got talent but also proved he's young and will be inconsistent. So, in a way I agree with the first part of your statement in that we labelled him as a genius far too quickly and to an extent I agree with the second part of your statement in that he looked young and inexperienced pre injury. I do think suggesting he is a one trick pony has taken it too far though :wink: when did he get injured Johnny? seems so long ago:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
04-09-2013, 11:51 PM
It's incredible really. I have nothing but admiration for those that sit through this turgid **** on offer most weeks.

:not worth

But I am not one of them, and never will be again until Petrie (never mind Fenlon) is out of the door.

:dummytit:

I'm picking on you but only because I must have seen twenty-odd different posters describe Hibs like this in the last few weeks and it's doing my head in :greengrin

HIBS DO NOT PLAY TURGID FOOTBALL :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

'Turgid' means overblown or ridiculously ornate - in football terms it would maybe describe the Arsenal of around six or seven years ago when they had this habit of trying to pass the ball forty million times before scoring, with about twenty million passes in the box and an attitude of "don't score now, that would be too simple, let's knock it around on the six-yard line for another half-hour" :greengrin

I'm guessing whoever first used the word in relation to Fenlon's team actually meant 'torpid', but everyone subsequent has read it and gone with 'turgid' :rolleyes: :greengrin

Rant over :greengrin

The_Horde
05-09-2013, 12:02 AM
We're harder to beat..

IWasThere2016
05-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Nae sign of the 'previous incumbent' (c) R Petrie :greengrin

patlowe
05-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Given our derby record over the last 30 years, one season of 2 wins and 3 draws is pleasant but doesn't exactly get me excited.

Our superiority over Hearts from the mid 60s to the early 80s saw them respond massively. We need to put together a similar period of long term dominance imo.

Yep, though all things being fair it really should've been 3 wins and 2 draws.

As for Harris, he came on in the first leg against malmo and was instantly identified as our main threat by the opposition manager. I've no idea what happened to him in the second leg and first half against Motherwell but his confidence looked shot. Maybe it's for the best he's getting a break when things are so fraught between fans and team.

rcarter1
05-09-2013, 05:48 AM
I'm picking on you but only because I must have seen twenty-odd different posters describe Hibs like this in the last few weeks and it's doing my head in :greengrin

HIBS DO NOT PLAY TURGID FOOTBALL :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

'Turgid' means overblown or ridiculously ornate - in football terms it would maybe describe the Arsenal of around six or seven years ago when they had this habit of trying to pass the ball forty million times before scoring, with about twenty million passes in the box and an attitude of "don't score now, that would be too simple, let's knock it around on the six-yard line for another half-hour" :greengrin

I'm guessing whoever first used the word in relation to Fenlon's team actually meant 'torpid', but everyone subsequent has read it and gone with 'turgid' :rolleyes: :greengrin

Rant over :greengrin

This is a shame, as Turgid sounds so right!

Torpid it is then.

Reduce the Torpidity, avoid Turgidity.

Beefster
05-09-2013, 05:58 AM
I prefer Blunderwood to Calderclown.

Chump
05-09-2013, 06:30 AM

In my mind both reactions are OTT. The laddie proved he's got talent but also proved he's young and will be inconsistent. So, in a way I agree with the first part of your statement in that we labelled him as a genius far too quickly and to an extent I agree with the second part of your statement in that he looked young and inexperienced pre injury. I do think suggesting he is a one trick pony has taken it too far though :wink:

I wouldn't say my post is a glass half empty post.....more an honest post of what I've seen this season with last seasons performances in the back of my mind.

We're all desperate for good news stories coming out at ER but to put Harris on a pedastal just now irks of Tam McManus, Jamie McCluskey etc

I like the look of him being pacy and direct which gives us much needed positivity on the pitch but there have been so many posts on Harris being the next big thing at ER that makes me slightly nervous for the boy....I'd love to be eating my words very shortly!!

Twa Cairpets
05-09-2013, 06:48 AM
I prefer Blunderwood to Calderclown.

Blunderclown?

hibs0666
05-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Hibs.net poster John Rebus. Oozes his unique brand of support & positivity over every thread. :)

johnrebus
05-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Hibs.net poster John Rebus. Oozes his unique brand of support & positivity over every thread. :)

Many thanks.

Have a nice day.

dangermouse
05-09-2013, 08:02 AM

I concur. I felt he was trying to get past a defender too many rather than play an earlier pass that may have resulted in more goals and no injury but as you say he is young and will hopefully learn from that experience.

Stevie Reid
05-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Ridiculous post, IMO. Harris looked excellent last season, and this season he managed a whole 157 minutes of football before being injured (with his 2nd half performance v Motherwell being good up to that point).

You think other people are going OTT for getting excited about his 14 appearances last year, yet think that writing off a 19 year old youngster as a one trick pony after less than two games this season isn't premature?

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
I have stopped eating sweets since Calderdiddy's quote.

erin go bragh
05-09-2013, 01:47 PM
One trick pony ? Aye thats it , hammer that wee bit of hope we have left ,right into the ground ! Dearie me .
This forum is getting worse than going to the games !

Ggtth

Fergus52
05-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I have stopped eating sweets since Calderdiddy's quote.

:tee hee:

sadtom
05-09-2013, 02:53 PM
The best thing i can think off during PF's stewardship is the fact the away team dressingroom is now painted green.

yekimevol
05-09-2013, 03:39 PM
That 45 minutes he's had this season is really the time to judge him, rather than the 5-15 games he had where he looked good last season.

Positives since calderdiddy left:

1st win over HMFC for a while.
1st win at Tynie for a while.
A renewed insistence on using the players from our youth team.
Going 10+ games unbeaten last season.
2 Scottish Cup Finals.
Keeping the ball from a throw in (and creating a chance!!) on Saturday.

And for me personally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHC-GBDqfw was just fantastic.

:top marks

yekimevol
05-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Getting to two cup finals.
the vast improvement in the squad since CC's
an improvement in league position from 11th to 7th
The use of youth team players.
The team trains another day a week and get more sessions.
Improvement in the teams attitude, They seem more determined and look a unit compared to cc's.

I also think performances will improve once, Cairney, Harris and Zoubir start playing as their more creative players that can create chances for players and will allow Craig can go into a more central role.

Chump
05-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Ridiculous post, IMO. Harris looked excellent last season, and this season he managed a whole 157 minutes of football before being injured (with his 2nd half performance v Motherwell being good up to that point).

You think other people are going OTT for getting excited about his 14 appearances last year, yet think that writing off a 19 year old youngster as a one trick pony after less than two games this season isn't premature?

Aye OK SR....but I'll stick with my opinion and not apologise for it!!

Don't disagree that he looked good during his breakthrough last year, don't disagree that he was a positive last year amongst a world of negatives, don't disagree that he hasn't managed much football but what I have seen this season was not at the same level to when he burst through.....

My point is that I don't think we should get too excited at this stage in his career.....yes we as Hibs fans are looking for positives just now and I sincerely hope he will be a key one soon but he is a young boy with a lot to learn.....lets see how his first full season unfolds before we label him the next big thing.......and no one is writing him off!!

RIP
05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
By the time we play in Perth next weekend we will have been unbeaten for 5 weeks.

The players will have forgotten what a gubbing feels like! :na na:

Gerard
05-09-2013, 05:43 PM
By the time we play in Perth next weekend we will have been unbeaten for 5 weeks.

The players will have forgotten what a gubbing feels like! :na na:

Getting a non scoring draw might suit the players and others
It will not suit the fans
I wonder if the players know how to score goals:wink:

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2013, 10:19 PM
This is a shame, as Turgid sounds so right!

Torpid it is then.

Reduce the Torpidity, avoid Turgidity.

I agree with you completely, turgid does 'sound' right.

Language is meant to be a living thing, meant to evolve. If people start to use a word differently from its original meaning, then maybe it should just be allowed to happen :dunno:

Pat Fenlon - transformer of lexicons :agree:

greenlex
05-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Zouby.:cb

Stevie Reid
06-09-2013, 09:50 AM
he looks like he's been found out already to me and is a one trick pony.....didn't get past anyone this season and looked like he ran out of ideas before the injury

and no one is writing him off!!

:hmmm:

oramhibee
06-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Seeing Hibs actually beat Hearts...