PDA

View Full Version : The 'c'mon ma bonnie boys' guy

Miguel
03-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know who this guy is?
Used to be quite near him in the auld east, when he stood up the back. Was the song he used to sing - assume it was called 'Hibees Lullabye' his own? Not a bad tune to be honest...

monktonharp
03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know who this guy is?
Used to be quite near him in the auld east, when he stood up the back. Was the song he used to sing - assume it was called 'Hibees Lullabye' his own? Not a bad tune to be honest... don't know the big fella's name but he sits about 5 seats along from me, and Ive just moved to top FF front row. he may be in the row behind. wisnae there last week though cos I never heard him.:greengrin I do remember being at a fans/board discussion years ago in the auld stand, and he was there. the then chairman, douglas crombe if my memory is correct, was talking about a move to straiton. the big man then gets up and says, right then, this new stadium....are we gonnae have a joe baker boulavarde? the place was in stitches. my mate and I still talk about that, when we have enough drink in us

edinburghhibee
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
This guy is one of the memory's I have of the old east I remember sitting in my seat at the corner flag in the north and constantly hearing him and seeing him right at the back singing on his own.

I always used to think, the east was for folk who were mental then I moved there before it got knocked down and realised I wasn't far wrong as fans fought with each other about how best to support the team!

Bristolhibby
04-09-2013, 12:14 AM
He always sung too la roo la roo la, or a version of it.

J

monktonharp
04-09-2013, 12:19 AM
I always used to think, the east was for folk who were mental then I moved there before it got knocked down and realised I wasn't far wrong as fans fought with each other about how best to support the team! that's what made it so good. we were aw mental! and I was the best Hibs supporter in the East:greengrin liked a guid wee scrap, before I went hame fur ma tea:wink:

edinburghhibee
04-09-2013, 01:47 AM
that's what made it so good. we were aw mental! and I was the best Hibs supporter in the East:greengrin liked a guid wee scrap, before I went hame fur ma tea:wink:

Aye it was a cracking wee stand, I miss the old east :(

The Green Goblin
04-09-2013, 01:55 AM
I loved hearing this guy in the old east. Lots of good memories of that stand...

Pedantic_Hibee
04-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Was it the same guy that sang Can't Help Falling In Love With You?

derek0762
04-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Big Stuart Reid from Drylaw

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

bandylegs_jLeighton
04-09-2013, 06:25 AM
I've not heard him in years. Does he still sing his wee song?

Thecat23
04-09-2013, 07:01 AM
I mind sitting in the East and it was his b'day that day. Said he was entitled to a free bus pass so went down the library to collect it. Said he waited outside for ages and stared to shout and moan that its a disgrace how late it is and how it wasn't open.

Then he said a woman come over and said I'm sorry sir, but the guy who usually opens it passed away last night. He said he felt a bit bad but was still no happy not getting his bus pass haha.

Mon Dieu4
04-09-2013, 07:09 AM
I mind sitting in the East and it was his b'day that day. Said he was entitled to a free bus pass so went down the library to collect it. Said he waited outside for ages and stared to shout and moan that its a disgrace how late it is and how it wasn't open.

Then he said a woman come over and said I'm sorry sir, but the guy who usually opens it passed away last night. He said he felt a bit bad but was still no happy not getting his bus pass haha.

Was that the game he had a big badge on Haha? he tried to sit on my pals knee in that game and nearly crippled him

LioNeilMessi
04-09-2013, 07:27 AM
This could be the same 'Big Stewart' who's legend I was hearing of in Malmo. At first I thought he was an ex player because he was so well known :greengrin:

Mac
04-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Remember him well as used to sit near him for amany a year in the East, indeed some funny old ditties and songs although the probably the biggest racist I have heard at ER, this includes our own players Latapy et al

Thecat23
04-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Was that the game he had a big badge on Haha? he tried to sit on my pals knee in that game and nearly crippled him

Haha yeah it was. You must have been next to me as I remember him doing that. He was trying to talk to everyone.

Thecat23
04-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Remember him well as used to sit near him for amany a year in the East, indeed some funny old ditties and songs although the probably the biggest racist I have heard at ER, this includes our own players Latapy et al

Really? I sat in the East for about 15 years and honestly can't say I heard him being racist. Not saying your lying or that but I'm really surprised at that. I mind one guy I had never seen sit in front of us and he slated big maka calling him a monkey and said he had a banana for him etc..

He was thrown out and to be honest I think he was about to get hammered if he wasn't.

Gatecrasher
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
The guys a legend, my ST used to be near him in the old east. I remember him out of the blue trying to start a chant, he kept at it for about 10 minutes before other people started to join in, A big cheer happened from the people about when it finally got going. :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
04-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Remember him well as used to sit near him for amany a year in the East, indeed some funny old ditties and songs although the xxx I have heard at ER, this includes xxx

Leaving the validity of the accusation to one side the fact that someone has named and given a location for this dude I'd suggest giving this kinda statement a wide berth as it could lead to unpleasant attention of authorities. Suggest you delete the post not least due to the fact the bloke may well be oblivious to the accusations and unable to have the right of reply. I do hope you rethink as this guy when he's made aware is unlikely to open his gob to utter these words again for fear of being accused of what you mention. Bad enough if true but if a case of mistaken identity imagine the unwarranted grief to him and his friends and family by a faceless and nameless accuser...

Thecat23
04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
The guys a legend, my ST used to be near him in the old east. I remember him out of the blue trying to start a chant, he kept at it for about 10 minutes before other people started to join in, A big cheer happened from the people about when it finally got going. :thumbsup:

Wasn't the "RUUSSEEEELLLL.....RUSSEL LAAATAPY!" Was it? He done that a few times back in the day as well.

Mac
04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Leaving the validity of the accusation to one side the fact that someone has named and given a location for this dude I'd suggest giving this kinda statement a wide berth as it could lead to unpleasant attention of authorities. Suggest you delete the post not least due to the fact the bloke may well be oblivious to the accusations and unable to have the right of reply. I do hope you rethink as this guy when he's made aware is unlikely to open his gob to utter these words again for fear of being accused of what you mention. Bad enough if true but if a case of mistaken identity imagine the unwarranted grief to him and his friends and family by a faceless and nameless accuser...

Maybe read things properly as where this guy used to sit, like myself, doesnt exist anymore nor does the stand that housed it, from alegal perspective its classed as hearsay as no specific given and a personal 'hat' for that gentleman.

For many many years I sat about 5 rows in front on the other side of the steps, as those will recognise he was at the back next to the exit/entrance so there is no hearesay/cheap shot or anything else and I certainly aint going into specifics as this was many moons ago, I certainly aint a liar nor a PC buffoon and perfectly capable of knowing the diiference to humour and racism.

I also think hes big and old enough to never change, in fact quite the opposite knowing the banter that used to fly about the old east, as i say he was a character and in the main amusing but certainly was tainted for me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Every time the lino got a decision wrong you could count on a cry of Stevie Wonder following. IIRC the ref was always Mr McGhoo but that would have been lost on anyone under forty?

Viva_Palmeiras
04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Maybe read things properly as where this guy used to sit, like myself, doesnt exist anymore nor does the stand that housed it, from alegal perspective its classed as hearsay as no specific given and a personal 'hat' for that gentleman.

For many many years I sat about 5 rows in front on the other side of the steps, as those will recognise he was at the back next to the exit/entrance so there is no hearesay/cheap shot or anything else and I certainly aint going into specifics as this was many moons ago, I certainly aint a liar nor a PC buffoon and perfectly capable of knowing the diiference to humour and racism.

I also think hes big and old enough to never change, in fact quite the opposite knowing the banter that used to fly about the old east, as i say he was a character and in the main amusing but certainly was tainted for me.

Try reading post #9. I'm obviously wasting my time. For the record I too abhor racism.

Edit: Just re-read my comment. To clarify when I wrote utter these words, I meant the words he is famed for "c'mon my bonnie boys" hence identifying him, not the offending words.

Kojock
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Every time the lino got a decision wrong you could count on a cry of Stevie Wonder following. IIRC the ref was always Mr McGhoo but that would have been lost on anyone under forty?

proud_and_green
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
don't know the big fella's name but he sits about 5 seats along from me, and Ive just moved to top FF front row. he may be in the row behind. wisnae there last week though cos I never heard him.:greengrin I do remember being at a fans/board discussion years ago in the auld stand, and he was there. the then chairman, douglas crombe if my memory is correct, was talking about a move to straiton. the big man then gets up and says, right then, this new stadium....are we gonnae have a joe baker boulavarde? the place was in stitches. my mate and I still talk about that, when we have enough drink in us

Does he still sing? Absolute star!

zitelli62
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
was talking to the big s yesterday as he likes to be known and having known him all my life i can assure you he is no racist he just loves the hibs with a passion and having stood with him for years in the old east i never once heard him say a racist comment.

Gatecrasher
04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Wasn't the "RUUSSEEEELLLL.....RUSSEL LAAATAPY!" Was it? He done that a few times back in the day as well.

Nope, he just kep shouting HIBERNIAN, HIBERNIAN, HIBERNIAN. I sat near him for about 4 years and loved it. there doesn't seem to be as many characters about at the moment.

Thecat23
04-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Nope, he just kep shouting HIBERNIAN, HIBERNIAN, HIBERNIAN. I sat near him for about 4 years and loved it. there doesn't seem to be as many characters about at the moment.

Have to agree, I've since moved to the West and there isn't any real characters like that.

Golden Bear
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
All the REAL fans used to STAND in the open area between what was the cow shed and the covered east terracing.

Them were the days!

LancashireHibby
04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
He was sat in front of me at Hamilton away a few years ago, he was probably the most entertaining thing about the game!

hfc rd
04-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I remember a game against the Oldco. Remember him slating the hell out of Barry Ferguson. Couldn't stop laughing. The guy was bloody hilarious with the stuff he was coming out with. Far more entertaining than the match itself. Wonder if he is still kicking about the new East with the same personality and passion about Hibs?

erin go bragh
04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
was talking to the big s yesterday as he likes to be known and having known him all my life i can assure you he is no racist he just loves the hibs with a passion and having stood with him for years in the old east i never once heard him say a racist comment.

Sat behind him in the east for over 5 years and never once did i hear him being racist .

Ggtth

portycabbage
04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Around when I started going to games I remember Kevin Harper (after a loose pass or something) getting called a "f****** black b******" from someone with a loud voice in the east, after which there was a bit of a stunned silence from fellow fans. Shortly afterwards, Harper gets fouled and the ref plays on. Same voice bellows out again "referee ya f****** racist c***!".

Couldn't condone the first part at any time obviously, but still found his attempted 'save' funny!

monktonharp
04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Does he still sing? Absolute star! still as loud with...............c'mon ma bonny boys. strange not to hear him last week, as he was defo near me in the FF for the rest of this season's games. front row(or right behind) top tier, about ten from the West stand .

JimBHibees
05-09-2013, 09:20 AM
still as loud with...............c'mon ma bonny boys. strange not to hear him last week, as he was defo near me in the FF for the rest of this season's games. front row(or right behind) top tier, about ten from the West stand .

Yep still as loud, I sit near there not the most understanding of players errors I would say. :greengrin

Franck Stanton
05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Sat behind him in the east for over 5 years and never once did i hear him being racist .

Ggtth
Think your memory is a wee bit clouded, Stewart sat, or should I say stood, in row aa as far back in the old east as you could get. Attended games with his son-in-law , and now hailes from Elphinston. His signature tune was Toora-loora-lura, toora-lora leh, That's the Hibernian Lullaby. I used to be in seat aa07 about 5 or 6 seats away from him. Nowadays, prior to home games he hangs around the corner of St Claire Ave opposite the Club Shop until around 2.45pm.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Think your memory is a wee bit clouded, Stewart sat, or should I say stood, in row aa as far back in the old east as you could get. Attended games with his son-in-law , and now hailes from Elphinston. His signature tune was Toora-loora-lura, toora-lora leh, That's the Hibernian Lullaby. I used to be in seat aa07 about 5 or 6 seats away from him. Nowadays, prior to home games he hangs around the corner of St Claire Ave opposite the Club Shop until around 2.45pm.

its good to stalk as Robert Hoskins said to Madonna ;)

alnewhaven
05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Think he had an argument with somebody behind at the united game. Heard him say " I'll **** off when I want to not when you want!"

erin go bragh
05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
We also stood at the back of the east , guy im on about always shouted " cmon my bonnie boys " like i said he sat a couple of rows down from us , beside a much older guy .

Ggtth

Miguel
05-09-2013, 11:32 PM

That's the song I'm thinking of - did he make it up?

bigruss
06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Big stewart reid crazy man fantastic singer was in his company one day in the euro crest hotel when he started singing elvis songs had the place rockin was also there when he kissed a police horse and got lifted for his trouble his son and daughter are massive hibbies too