PDA

View Full Version : East Terracing

Miguel
02-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I don't know if this is correct, or not because I am old and have lost my memory, but to what extent has our slump coincided with the demolition of the old East Terracing?
To me, it ripped the heart and soul out of the support. It can't be undone, but, as I've said before, we must start making better use of the stadium in terms of generating atmosphere. Someone on a previous thread mentioned, in future seasons, only opening the lower section of the new East: I think there is merit on that. Cover the top seats with hanging pictures/banners of club legends, or consider other creative options. Take measures to generate atmosphere, because with the team not performing on the park, it's like the Moon just now.

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 12:03 AM
I don't know if this is correct, or not because I am old and have lost my memory, but to what extent has our slump coincided with the demolition of the old East Terracing?
To me, it ripped the heart and soul out of the support. It can't be undone, but, as I've said before, we must start making better use of the stadium in terms of generating atmosphere. Someone on a previous thread mentioned, in future seasons, only opening the lower section of the new East: I think there is merit on that. Cover the top seats with hanging pictures/banners of club legends, or consider other creative options. Take measures to generate atmosphere, because with the team not performing on the park, it's like the Moon just now.

Build a new stand to close half of it?? I agree that the atmosphere has died since the new stand was built. I loved the old east. Convert it to terracing that would attract fans. Never going to happen though.

RIP
03-09-2013, 03:18 AM
As a long term EastStander can I go on record to remind us that in the 2 years prior to 2010 the only noise to be heard coming out the East was the sound of abuse aimed at Colin Nish or Deek. In contrast the first season of the new stand was the loudest we had been since the promotion year.

Successive 10th and 11th places mixed with dire fare is more the root cause.

hibsbollah
03-09-2013, 06:07 AM
I concur with gogs.

The opening of the East Stand was the home game with Rangers, we lost 3-0 but played well for the first half hour, the noise was clearly better than the previous seasons games. There have been a few other examples (Dunfermline relegation head to head and the Spoony derby) where the place was bouncing as well.

I liked the East Terrace too (wheres the 'bonny bonny boys!' gadgie now?) but the crap atmosphere is solely down to having a crap team.

Broken Gnome
03-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Missing the point.

Ever since the TV cameras changed to the West, constant decline. That's the real issue here.

3pm
03-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Missing the point.

Ever since the TV cameras changed to the West, constant decline. That's the real issue here.

Agreed, a point I made before! Get them back in the West.

:o)

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 07:18 AM
The best atmosphere i have witnessed was when we were all crammed behind the goal, it pissed on anything i have seen since we put seats in the east or built the new one.

The night we beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1 was the best atmosphere in my lifetime of watching Hibs.

clerriehibs
03-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I concur with gogs.

The opening of the East Stand was the home game with Rangers, we lost 3-0 but played well for the first half hour, the noise was clearly better than the previous seasons games. There have been a few other examples (Dunfermline relegation head to head and the Spoony derby) where the place was bouncing as well.

I liked the East Terrace too (wheres the 'bonny bonny boys!' gadgie now?) but the crap atmosphere is solely down to having a crap team.

This nails the problem.

However, given it is a two way relationship between performances and atmosphere, there might be some merit in taking steps to improve the atmosphere.

I don't agree with closing the top half of the East, can't see that solving the issue - generally any atmosphere comes from the top half of the East. But to solve this and the family section problem discussed elsewhere; don't have the cheapest family pricing in the lower FF. Set aside an area specifically for fans with children - half or all of the upper FF? Change just the lower FF to be a convertible standing area (the dortmund (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dortmund+standing+area&rlz=1C1AVSW_enGB378GB379&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GY0lUsCeJsmP0AXFuoDQCA&biw=1092&bih=514&sei=H40lUvrDF6XJ0QX73IDgCw#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=cfY36BvkyweX_M%3A%3B9tVgjkzaTTKWsM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fballsybanter.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F04%252FSafeStandi ngArea.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fballsybanter.com%2 52F2013%252F04%252F12%252Fis-it-time-to-introduce-safe-standing-areas-at-football-grounds%252F%3B1263%3B840)style?) There's acceptance of standing now in certain areas of all-seated stadia, not hugely safe in itself, so why not mechanically make it safe while still complying?

That wouldn't be hugely expensive - and we'd have the cave back ... and a bit of atmosphere for kicking "down the slope" 2nd half.

ManBearPig
03-09-2013, 07:27 AM
This nails the problem.

However, given it is a two way relationship between performances and atmosphere, there might be some merit in taking steps to improve the atmosphere.

I don't agree with closing the top half of the East, can't see that solving the issue - generally any atmosphere comes from the top half of the East. But to solve this and the family section problem discussed elsewhere; don't have the cheapest family pricing in the lower FF. Set aside an area specifically for fans with children - half or all of the upper FF? Change just the lower FF to be a convertible standing area (the dortmund (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dortmund+standing+area&rlz=1C1AVSW_enGB378GB379&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GY0lUsCeJsmP0AXFuoDQCA&biw=1092&bih=514&sei=H40lUvrDF6XJ0QX73IDgCw#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=cfY36BvkyweX_M%3A%3B9tVgjkzaTTKWsM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fballsybanter.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F04%252FSafeStandi ngArea.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fballsybanter.com%2 52F2013%252F04%252F12%252Fis-it-time-to-introduce-safe-standing-areas-at-football-grounds%252F%3B1263%3B840)style?) There's acceptance of standing now in certain areas of all-seated stadia, not hugely safe in itself, so why not mechanically make it safe while still complying?

That wouldn't be hugely expensive - and we'd have the cave back ... and a bit of atmosphere for kicking "down the slope" 2nd half.

The problem I this country with policing a standing area its very easy to identify the person throwing a coin etc in a seated area not so in standing. Also would u like hibs to be the example when a standing area goes wrong especially ABOVE a seating one

Viva_Palmeiras
03-09-2013, 07:39 AM

http://www.calendar-365.co.uk/moon/current-moon-phase.html

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
This nails the problem.

:agree: And we could help suck the ball in, like we did in the past. Its a no brainer in my opinion if we want to grow the singing section, or they could rattle around at the top of a stand much too big for them bar 1 or 2 games a season.

Ask any player if they'd like to shoot towards a full end of Hibs fans or an empty one, we all know the answer to that?

Now i expect someone will be along to tell me how they'd prefer to be out in front of a full stadium, well thats not happening anytime soon.

clerriehibs
03-09-2013, 07:48 AM
The problem I this country with policing a standing area its very easy to identify the person throwing a coin etc in a seated area not so in standing. Also would u like hibs to be the example when a standing area goes wrong especially ABOVE a seating one

No, that's why I said change the lower FF to standing ...

The SPFL implicitly agree to standing in certain areas anyway. Make it a better standing area in a part of the ground that in years gone by did have a lot of noise.

Not sure why you thing the problem you gave (throwing coins) is only a problem in this country?

Woody70x2
03-09-2013, 07:59 AM

It could be a curse from the Hearts top buried under the East Stand? It could be the missing Harp from the West Stand. We are doomed I tell yeh!

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 08:02 AM
It could be a curse from the Hearts top buried under the East Stand? It could be the missing Harp from the West Stand. We are doomed I tell yeh!But it's more likely tae be a string of crap managers (picked by somebody who hasnae got a clue) who play/ed dire fitba that have sucked the life out of the place.

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 08:06 AM
I've tweeted the club regarding and standing area to see if its something they would consider in the future.

hibsbollah
03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
This nails the problem.

I like that scenario for the FF :agree: Radges in a german style standing section at the front, families nearer the back. But will the radges buy into it?

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 08:34 AM
I like that scenario for the FF :agree: Radges in a german style standing section at the front, families nearer the back. But will the radges buy into it?

I reckon most fans would buy into a standing area. I certainly would go to it.

Lucius Apuleius
03-09-2013, 08:35 AM
The best atmosphere i have witnessed was when we were all crammed behind the goal, it pissed on anything i have seen since we put seats in the east or built the new one.

The night we beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1 was the best atmosphere in my lifetime of watching Hibs.

For the first time in a few weeks I am in agreement with you:-). Since the cooshed was turned into seats and the radges moved to the east, that was the day the music died.

Cod Boy
03-09-2013, 08:52 AM
The way the manager has the team playing you would be better standing in the pub

Cod Boy
03-09-2013, 08:59 AM
The way the manager has the team playing you would be better standing in the pub

Baldy Foghorn
03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Thought you were advocating boycotts and such like......?:confused:

tamsonsbairn
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
The singing section has to be changed to the lower FF. as mentioned before the atmosphere at games when the fans were in the old cave behind the goals could lift us, relocate the family section to east stand nearest to the FF, i am sure this would generate some noise to be able to lift our team, look at the away end when it is full, the noise generated is amazing, the same noise coming from the Hibees support behind the goals would be too. :pfgwa

Keith_M
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
When the East Terrace was cut in two and roofed, we had a fantastic atmosphere at a lot of matches in that area. P*ssed all over the atmosphere in the Cave :wink:

Anyway, I agree with others that it has to do with the gradual decline in the standard of play and results grinding people down, nothing to do with the shape of the stand.

sambajustice
03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
The singing section has to be changed to the lower FF. as mentioned before the atmosphere at games when the fans were in the old cave behind the goals could lift us, relocate the family section to east stand nearest to the FF, i am sure this would generate some noise to be able to lift our team, look at the away end when it is full, the noise generated is amazing, the same noise coming from the Hibees support behind the goals would be too. :pfgwa

Is it not a fact that most ultras/fanatical fans base themselves behind the goals??

Stevie Reid
03-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I remembered it being horrendous under Mixu, but a look back shows his ER record as P 31 W 13 D 8 L 10, which isn't too bad given his successors.

However, he won 7 and lost one of his first 8 games at ER, which means for the remainder it was P 23 W 6 D 8 L 9

Hughes' first 16 home games saw W 11 D 2 L 3, but the remainder eight saw W 1 D 3 L 4

All in all, apart from a couple of spells, we have been pish at ER for 5 years.

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 11:38 AM

A standing area is hardly going to happen overnight is it....... ;)

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Tweet I sent.

@HibernianFCClub would the club give consideration to a standing area at ER? F5 lower perhaps? Plenty call for it. #bringbackterracing

Response I got from the club.

@HibernianFCClub:Hi, the club is always receptive to facilitating requests from supporters (where possible) please email club@hibernianfc.co.uk.

Get emailing folks.

Northernhibee
03-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I remembered it being horrendous under Mixu, but a look back shows his ER record as P 31 W 13 D 8 L 10, which isn't too bad given his successors.

However, he won 7 and lost one of his first 8 games at ER, which means for the remainder it was P 23 W 6 D 8 L 9

Hughes' first 16 home games saw W 11 D 2 L 3, but the remainder eight saw W 1 D 3 L 4

All in all, apart from a couple of spells, we have been pish at ER for 5 years.

I think the real question should be what is making teams on successful runs tail off so dramatically?

Stevie Reid
03-09-2013, 01:03 PM
I think the real question should be what is making teams on successful runs tail off so dramatically?

Who knows?

Looking again at Fenlon's ER record last year, it was actually pretty good - P 21 W 9 D 7 L 5, all against SPL opposition. I reckon I probably enjoyed about half of them, but once again it didn't help that it was so front loaded, with the first 7 being W 5 D 2 L 0.

We then had 3 straight defeats, and a win v Celtic, so the remainder of the league campaign saw P 12 W 2 D 5 L 5, mainly (after Motherwell 3-2 defeat) consisting of dull, boring, unimaginative football (Celtic 1-0, St. Mirren 3-3 and Dundee 1-0 aside).

We only scored 28 goals in the 21 games, with 14 of them coming in the first 7 games, leaving only 14 goals in the remaining 14 games.

This season we are P 4 W 0 D 2 L 2, and F 1 A 9 - leaving us P 13 W 2 D 7 L 4 (including SC and Europe) at ER since January, and ony 15 goals scored in our last 18 games at ER.

It has been hard going for quite some time.

Crossgates Hibs
03-09-2013, 01:17 PM

And me

Viva_Palmeiras
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Is there a net benefit to investing yet again in infrastructure when (rightly so) fans have been screaming for investment on the park?

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Is there a net benefit to investing yet again in infrastructure when (rightly so) fans have been screaming for investment on the park?Maybe you should ask Petrie next time he starts slavering about 5 year plans, further investment at EM and large TV screens instead of dealing with the problem at hand

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Is there a net benefit to investing yet again in infrastructure when (rightly so) fans have been screaming for investment on the park?

I cant see how it would cost a penny, family section in the east, singing/mad/idiot section in the bottom tier of the FF, cost zero.

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I cant see how it would cost a penny, family section in the east, singing/mad/idiot section in the bottom tier of the FF, cost zero.I think that reference is about turning it in tae a seated standing area which would require different seats and barriers

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I think that reference is about turning it in tae a seated standing area which would require different seats and barriers

Ah right, :aok: personally i dont see the need for that, they don't have it at the other end? :confused:

Persevere80
03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I can see the op point but I've not been to many games since they knocked down the old east but every time I've been to the ff I wish I was over in section 43. The stand is there for years to come and I am sure we will see some good times there once again.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I can see the op point but I've not been to many games since they knocked down the old east but every time I've been to the ff I wish I was over in section 43. The stand is there for years to come and I am sure we will see some good times there once again.

In my opinion its the size of the east thats prohibiting the singing section taking off. Putting them in the FF Bottom tier would let everyone hear them, and be easier to fill once they see what a good time they are having.

I used to sit on the 18 yard line at the FF end of the east, and would come on here after a game and read how they thought its was loud, when i had not heard a peep, but could hear the 400 or so away fans in the dunbar end?

I'd love to see the whole ground bounce, but thats a long way off if ever. I'd prefer us to start smaller and build the FF into the singing section starting with the bottom tier, as i have said many times, some of the best times in my Hibs supporting life has been behind one goal or another cheering the team on.

McLeod1875
03-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Heres an example of a safe standing area thats used by Hannover 96 and as the boy says it creates atmosphere, no doubt about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=apX5V1IJCW4

I'm sure Bristol City (correct me if I'm wrong) were very close to getting the permission to convert their lower section in one of the stands behind the goals into a safe standing area, would be ****ing magic to do this to the Famous Five lower. No doubt about it, it would create a brilliant atmosphere week in week out! Would boost the players (especially strikers) confidence to get goals at this end.

Don't see why these Safe Standing areas are not active yet, especially in the UK.

Get the finger out Hibs!

Persevere80
03-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I see your point bh. But is part of the atmosphere not generated being closer to the away fans? I believe section 43 have a good connection with the club. What do they think? It would be interesting to see a poll.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I concur with gogs.

I sat directly in front of him and although he clearly couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, the Hibernian lullabies were always a highlight

clerriehibs
03-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Heres an example of a safe standing area thats used by Hannover 96 and as the boy says it creates atmosphere, no doubt about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=apX5V1IJCW4

I'm sure Bristol City (correct me if I'm wrong) were very close to getting the permission to convert their lower section in one of the stands behind the goals into a safe standing area, would be ****ing magic to do this to the Famous Five lower. No doubt about it, it would create a brilliant atmosphere week in week out! Would boost the players (especially strikers) confidence to get goals at this end.

Don't see why these Safe Standing areas are not active yet, especially in the UK.

Get the finger out Hibs!

It's voluntary in Scotland. No reason why it can't happen at ER, other than cost, but why not just go with it as it is just now and see how it goes? SPL had no objections to clubs now having standing areas, can't see why the SPFL would have a different policy.

tamsonsbairn
03-09-2013, 05:34 PM
I see your point bh. But is part of the atmosphere not generated being closer to the away fans? I believe section 43 have a good connection with the club. What do they think? It would be interesting to see a poll.

Tbh, we cant compete singing wise in sect 43 area. At all the cat A games i can recall, the away end has rocked. Does anyone know how many singers are at sect 43,to me the FF lower to start with would be a good shout to create an atmosphere, i think the guys who have given their time etc to sect 43 have done the club proud but something needs to be done to create a better atmosphere in the ground. Take a look at Motherwell's support at their recent game v Hibs, try as we might we will never get the same atmosphere in the new east as we did in the old one. :pfgwa

IanM
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
This whole idea could gather momentum very quickly. Mad fans behind the goals adding colour, noise, flags, banners but most of all intimidation to the opposing goalie every home game and creating an atmosphere where we can't hear the boos and the players can't hear every hiss and spat. I'm not having a go here but creating madness will surely benefit players and fans alike. It might encourage others to get up and sing along too. Section 43 was great. A condensed section 43 type section would be incredible.

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 06:18 PM
This whole idea could gather momentum very quickly. Mad fans behind the goals adding colour, noise, flags, banners but most of all intimidation to the opposing goalie every home game and creating an atmosphere where we can't hear the boos and the players can't hear every hiss and spat. I'm not having a go here but creating madness will surely benefit players and fans alike. It might encourage others to get up and sing along too. Section 43 was great. A condensed section 43 type section would be incredible.

It really could gather momentum and providing hibs play ball this could be a goer.

Franck Stanton
03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I concur with gogs.

I liked the East Terrace too (wheres the 'bonny bonny boys!' gadgie now?) but the crap atmosphere is solely down to having a crap team. Sits in the upper levelof the Famous Five Stand between goal and North Stand.

sambajustice
03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0ksbz0mtE&feature=relmfu

Now thats exactly what im talking about!

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Has anybody emailed the club using the email address they tweeted me earlier? It's on this thread somewhere. If enough people ask they may look into it.

BVB Hibs
03-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm a huge fan of standing. The atmosphere created by standing sections always trumps that where it's seated. The rail standing shown above at Hannover has also been a huge success, as it takes away the danger element, while not noticeably reducing atmosphere created by the fans. It's not quite 100% standing terraces, which is also pretty safe provided it's properly regulated, but I can understand the concerns that the authorities would have so this is definitely the next best option.

I'd want to add one thing though, standing needs to be cheaper than sitting. In Germany standing terraces keep a lot of people going to football that otherwise wouldn't have been able to go. If Hibs were to introduce a standing area, I reckon 15 quid, 8 concession would be the absolute maximum they could charge. A decent calculation would probably be to see how much money we get from the famous 5 sold out, divide it by the number of fans we could get into the stand when sold out standing. This element is definitely the most important though, and would probably attract a number of people back to easter road, especially if we get a decent atmosphere.

I don't buy this argument that we can create a better atmosphere from the East. Our atmosphere is far from outstanding as it stans, and there's now clubs who are moving the away fans away from the goal in order to minimise their influence on the game. I've yet to see one of the clubs who are renown for having great fans put them on the touchline.

I'm a walkup to ER, I don't go often because I'm busy most weekends and we're a bit naff to watch at the moment. But a standing section would definitely have me trying to go more often.

Hermit Crab
03-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm a huge fan of standing. The atmosphere created by standing sections always trumps that where it's seated. The rail standing shown above at Hannover has also been a huge success, as it takes away the danger element, while not noticeably reducing atmosphere created by the fans. It's not quite 100% standing terraces, which is also pretty safe provided it's properly regulated, but I can understand the concerns that the authorities would have so this is definitely the next best option.

I'd want to add one thing though, standing needs to be cheaper than sitting. In Germany standing terraces keep a lot of people going to football that otherwise wouldn't have been able to go. If Hibs were to introduce a standing area, I reckon 15 quid, 8 concession would be the absolute maximum they could charge. A decent calculation would probably be to see how much money we get from the famous 5 sold out, divide it by the number of fans we could get into the stand when sold out standing. This element is definitely the most important though, and would probably attract a number of people back to easter road, especially if we get a decent atmosphere.

I don't buy this argument that we can create a better atmosphere from the East. Our atmosphere is far from outstanding as it stans, and there's now clubs who are moving the away fans away from the goal in order to minimise their influence on the game. I've yet to see one of the clubs who are renown for having great fans put them on the touchline.

I'm a walkup to ER, I don't go often because I'm busy most weekends and we're a bit naff to watch at the moment. But a standing section would definitely have me trying to go more often.

To regulate it I reckon it would have to be season tickets only? Limit the numbers in the standing area.

McLeod1875
03-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Theres no doubt about it, this idea of a standing area would create better atmosphere which then attracts more fans on a regular basis. Its a no brainer.

Seriously can't see why Hibs shouldn't go ahead with this. They should run an official poll (or some other sort of voting) to gather information about a Safe Standing/Terrace section, be good for them to ask the fans what they want for once!

weecounty hibby
03-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I have mentioned this on a number of these types of threads. Hibs should seriously consider this. I am unfortunately past my prime but i still would prefer to stand than sit at a game. It also does mske for better stmosphere.
We have a history of being first to do things on and off the pitch so cmon Hibs lets be first again and make a safe standing area

Jonnyboy
03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
For those that lament the passing of the old east stand, can anyone tell me how many it held and offer a % of how many would be singing during the game?

The reason I ask is twofold

IMO it was not always the case that the old east stand residents sang throughout the game; and

Where are the former occupants and why don't they all by tickets for the S43 area so they can give it laldy?

Glory Lurker
03-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I love the thought, though my knees aren't what they used to be. I think in principle it's unarguable.

However, I do wonder at whether it would be a justifiable cost. I am guessing here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cost of converting the lower FF would be the equivalent of at least one well-paid (by Hibs standards) player. Would we be willing to make that sacrifice? I can imagine the argument against that is that putting safe standing in would be speculating to accumulate - better atmosphere, better performance, higher gates, etc. Okay, possibly, but you also have a possible extra cost in lost season tickets in the other stands as people transfer to the safe standing area. Someone said above that the cost of a safe standing ticket would have to be less than seating (I think it always is in Germany and France?). Presuming that's what happens, then Hibs would take a hit in conversion costs, and then in season ticket income as people moved away from the other stands. I love the idea in theory, but I think it maybe just does not stack up at the moment.

BVB Hibs
03-09-2013, 08:21 PM
To regulate it I reckon it would have to be season tickets only? Limit the numbers in the standing area.

Pretty simple really. Just have to set an absolute maximum number of people that can fit. Hillsborough happened due to overcrowding if we want to go down that road (obviously that's absolute worst case scenario), if 3500 people fit in the lower FF, then we you have to make sure all that is ticketed and nobody else can get into that section. It's easier to do than it was back then anyway, considering everything is already ticketed and fans are used to needing a ticket to enter the ground.

Iggy Pope
03-09-2013, 08:24 PM
I concur with gogs.

I know who you mean. Sitting not far behind me in the FF Upper unfortunately. And can't make his mind up if he loves the bonny boys or hates their guts.

DC_Hibs
03-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Surprised Rod hasn't thought of this.

Rip out the (fit for purpose and relatively good conditioned) seats in the FF lower.
Replace it with an alternative that costs a good deal more than the standard ones (google will give you exact amounts in about 30 seconds)
Then the best bit - Have c3000 fans paying less each home game for their ticket

Dream on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will we win the Scottish cup this year anaw??

BVB Hibs
03-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Have c3000 fans paying less each home game for their ticket

Ideally, standing would attract extra people down to Easter road, so it wouldn't be a huge loss. I doubt very much we'd see a full famous five with the same attendance at Easter Road.

In an ideal world, the extra atmosphere created by a standing section would also entice more people to come to the ground. So yeah, sure, there's short term financial implications, but such a move should make Easter Road a better place to go to on a Saturday afternoon, which should lead to financial gains in the long run.

DC_Hibs
03-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Ideally, standing would attract extra people down to Easter road, so it wouldn't be a huge loss. I doubt very much we'd see a full famous five with the same attendance at Easter Road.

In an ideal world, the extra atmosphere created by a standing section would also entice more people to come to the ground. So yeah, sure, there's short term financial implications, but such a move should make Easter Road a better place to go to on a Saturday afternoon, which should lead to financial gains in the long run.

"Ideally"
"In an ideal world"

Sorry but I am deaing with reality and the fact is that we would loss money. There's not going to be a sufficient upturn in attendances to make up the installation costs and then the lower admission cost for 3000 fans that people are saying has to happen. Rod would be looking for standing to pay more to cover the cost of the new seats.

I'd like it to happen. I went home and away for nearly 6 seasons in the Bundesliga so am well aware of the benefits of standing sections. I'm not talking about the gelbe Wand at Dortmund either which is 25000 boring fannies oder?

£80 per foldway seat compared to £30 for a standard seat. http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/289210-explained-how-safe-standing-would-work-in-scotland/
It might be feasible if we were bulding a new stand but ripping out adequate seats and paying 80X 3000 all so these fans pay even less to get in............

tamsonsbairn
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
"Ideally"
"In an ideal world"

Sorry but I am deaing with reality and the fact is that we would loss money. There's not going to be a sufficient upturn in attendances to make up the installation costs and then the lower admission cost for 3000 fans that people are saying has to happen. Rod would be looking for standing to pay more to cover the cost of the new seats.

I'd like it to happen. I went home and away for nearly 6 seasons in the Bundesliga so am well aware of the benefits of standing sections. I'm not talking about the gelbe Wand at Dortmund either which is 25000 boring fannies oder?

£80 per foldway seat compared to £30 for a standard seat. http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/289210-explained-how-safe-standing-would-work-in-scotland/
It might be feasible if we were bulding a new stand but ripping out adequate seats and paying 80X 3000 all so these fans pay even less to get in............

Im sure the seats can be dismantled without any damage done, these can then be stored to replace any seats damaged when our opposition decide to vandalise the seats in the away end. We could possibly still bill the visitors for the replacement seats as well, win win situation there. Something has to be done to get some atmosphere back into EasterRoad before we lose our support for ever, the singing section moving to the FF lower would help this. :pfgwa

BVB Hibs
03-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Ripping out seats is hardly a problem. We'll just put the Yams in the FF next time we play them and they'll even pay for the privilege of doing it for us.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 11:20 PM
It does not need to cost a penny, we stand in the east so we could stand in the FF. The family section should be moved and the bottom of the FF could be the new singing section. Simple really.

cloudy
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Not looked through all the posts on this thread but I have said for a while now that the singing section should be in the FF stand it will be a far better atmosphere... how easy or difficult is it for this to happen? Family section in the east would also work but the stand is far too big and will be empty unless our PR people can come up with a plan to bring in more hibs kids

Miguel
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
The basic problem is that we have a half full stadium.
We have to think of ways of either getting it more full, or making more creative use of the current situation.

clerriehibs
04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
We have to think of ways of either getting it more full, or making more creative use of the current situation.

Isn't that what most postets on this thread are doing?!?!?

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2013, 04:17 PM

Thats what most are saying about making the FF the singing/standing section. :confused:

cloudy
04-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Is the league cup game on the season tickets? If not why dnt hibs try it out that night, family section in the east (sit where you like) and singing section in the FF lower

LeithBoozy
04-09-2013, 04:21 PM
You would think with us getting attendances of around 10,ooo at the moment, it would only take us to bring a mate, relative, lapsed Hibby, or as a last resort the wife. To fill the ground, but could it realistically be done.

The Falcon
04-09-2013, 04:31 PM

:aok:

jgl07
04-09-2013, 04:33 PM
It's voluntary in Scotland. No reason why it can't happen at ER, other than cost, but why not just go with it as it is just now and see how it goes? SPL had no objections to clubs now having standing areas, can't see why the SPFL would have a different policy.

How can it be voluntary in Scotland? Hibs applied for an extension of one year to keep the standing areas in 1994 but were turned down flat by the council. Hibs were intending to move to Straiton and didn't want to spend the money on seating for only one year. If the council refuses a licence then the ground is closed. The police would certainly object to standing areas.

Hibs installed seats in the East Terrace and the away end (which was demolished a year later). It transpired that that not only were seats required but they had to be individual seats. Bench seats that Easter Road had in the Cowshed and the North and South wings of the Main Stand were not acceptable. Consequently parts of the Main Stand were reseated with 'Buckets' recycled from the away end.

The German approach would require crash barriers to be installed that could be converted to seats for UEFA matches. This would be very expensive and might need the terraces to be adapted.

Plenty in the East stand anyway, so what is the issue?

clerriehibs
04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
How can it be voluntary in Scotland? Hibs applied for an extension of one year to keep the standing areas in 1994 but were turned down flat by the council. Hibs were intending to move to Straiton and didn't want to spend the money on seating for only one year. If the council refuses a licence then the ground is closed. The police would certainly object to standing areas.

Hibs installed seats in the East Terrace and the away end (which was demolished a year later). It transpired that that not only were seats required but they had to be individual seats. Bench seats that Easter Road had in the Cowshed and the North and South wings of the Main Stand were not acceptable. Consequently parts of the Main Stand were reseated with 'Buckets' recycled from the away end.

The German approach would require crash barriers to be installed that could be converted to seats for UEFA matches. This would be very expensive and might need the terraces to be adapted.

See the Football Spectators Act (1989). All clubs in the top two English divisions are required BY LAW to have all seated stadia.
In Scotland, it's a choice, but councils can enforce it with their safety certification; but those safety requirements can be overturned or bypassed almost on a whim (eg see swyney), unlike an Act of Parliament.

clerriehibs
04-09-2013, 04:53 PM

There's tacit agreement already for standing in sect43, which either includes the police and the council, or they are knowingly turning a blind eye.
The same arrangement could apply to lower ff, unaltered initially.

IF it was a success, then structural changes could be made to make it safer and better.

And in my humble opinion, I think any pilot scheme would be a no cost absolute success.

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
There's tacit agreement already for standing in sect43, which either includes the police and the council, or they are knowingly turning a blind eye.
The same arrangement could apply to lower ff, unaltered initially.

IF it was a success, then structural changes could be made to make it safer and better.

And in my humble opinion, I think any pilot scheme would be a no cost absolute success.

:top marks

Hermit Crab
04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
See the Football Spectators Act (1989). All clubs in the top two English divisions are required BY LAW to have all seated stadia.
In Scotland, it's a choice, but councils can enforce it with their safety certification; but those safety requirements can be overturned or bypassed almost on a whim (eg see swyney), unlike an Act of Parliament.

Championship. Yeovil towns ground huish park has terraces at both ends, the away end is uncovered.

Agree in Scotland it was a voluntary agreement by the sfa.

Haymaker
04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Championship. Yeovil towns ground huish park has terraces at both ends, the away end is uncovered.

Agree in Scotland it was a voluntary agreement by the sfa.

I think you get a period of grace to put in seats. Fulham had terracing when they won the championship.

NAE NOOKIE
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
The Hannover set up looks the business. There are a couple of points made in prevous posts whch caught my eye.

Standing season Tickets:
Making them cheaper would be desireable, but for the most part a standing area would be created to please the fans who want such an area to go to, so from that point of view we're talking about volunteers rather than pressed men. In view of that perhaps standing fans would be prepared to accept that STs would be the same price as now for standing areas.

The cost of converting the FF lower deck:
I would doubt that the FF lower would hold more than 2,000 standing supporters and I'm sure if asked the fans would prefer to see money spent on this project rather than on TV screens in the corners, which cost in the hundreds of thousands for decent ones.

The clubs point of view:
The majority of fans, even those who wouldnt, or couldnt, use a standing area seem to be up for this and given the growing bad feeling between the club and the unsettles masses at the moment perhaps its time for the club to seriously have a look at something the fans seem to be really keen on having, which doesnt involve somebody losing their job or taking a risk buying a player who might be a dud.

clerriehibs
04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
The Hannover set up looks the business. There are a couple of points made in prevous posts whch caught my eye.

Standing season Tickets:
Making them cheaper would be desireable, but for the most part a standing area would be created to please the fans who want such an area to go to, so from that point of view we're talking about volunteers rather than pressed men. In view of that perhaps standing fans would be prepared to accept that STs would be the same price as now for standing areas.

The cost of converting the FF lower deck:
I would doubt that the FF lower would hold more than 2,000 standing supporters and I'm sure if asked the fans would prefer to see money spent on this project rather than on TV screens in the corners, which cost in the hundreds of thousands for decent ones.

The clubs point of view:
The majority of fans, even those who wouldnt, or couldnt, use a standing area seem to be up for this and given the growing bad feeling between the club and the unsettles masses at the moment perhaps its time for the club to seriously have a look at something the fans seem to be really keen on having, which doesnt involve somebody losing their job or taking a risk buying a player who might be a dud.

Is the Petrie talk of big tellies in any way serious??