PDA

View Full Version : Danny Lennon

CallumLaidlaw
02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
@pieandbov: On a different note I believe Danny Lennon will be leaving #StMirren within the next 48 hours. #SPFL #ScotPrem

So a smaller club with a smaller budget than us, that have won a cup in the last 6 months, are getting rid of their manager before us.

pacorosssco
02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Not a fan but feel for him. Hes had cup final fever as weve had for 6 years end last season and lost most of best players and hardly had any money to rebuild. Much different to Fenlon IMO.

Squealing pig
02-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Take him in a heartbeat at hibs.

joe breezy
02-09-2013, 11:01 PM
I've just been out for a bevvie with my Saint Mirren pal and he says Lennon is an absolute disaster - tactically clueless - keeps signing midfielders

My pal has been wanting rid of Lennon for a while now...

Remind me why exactly he would be the answer?

CallumLaidlaw
02-09-2013, 11:06 PM

Hmm, I wouldn't be too impressed if he was our next manager. Struggles with st Mirren, but can do a job with us?? Nah.

Ozyhibby
02-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Hope they get a bounce with the new man coming in. After they play us, of course.
Keep the yams marooned at the bottom of the table.

Ozyhibby
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
As far as coming to Hibs. No thanks. Most managers in the SPFL with a lower budget than ours manage to get above us. Lennon has failed to do even this.

pacorosssco
02-09-2013, 11:33 PM
I've just been out for a bevvie with my Saint Mirren pal and he says Lennon is an absolute disaster - tactically clueless - keeps signing midfielders

My pal has been wanting rid of Lennon for a while now...

Remind me why exactly he would be the answer?

agree

wazoo1875
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Not that I'm advocating that danny lennon gets the hibs gig, but he did set up a st mirren team that actually beat hearts in a national cup final. HiS saints teams also manage to pass the ball to team mates and retain possession better than we do. Maybe he just needs a bigger budget and better players to progress as a manager. Something we could offer him? Just playing devils advocate here !!

Leishy1995
03-09-2013, 01:02 AM
St Mirren pal hates him. Thinks he's the worst manager ever. Shouldn't get near hibs.

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Take him in a heartbeat at hibs.:hilarious That would improve our situation right enough.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 07:22 AM
:hilarious That would improve our situation right enough.

I wouldn't want him, but i'm 100% sure he'd do a lot better with this bunch of players than Fenlon can. :boo hoo:

marti1875
03-09-2013, 07:23 AM
:hilarious That would improve our situation right enough.

:greengrin I think hadalinewigarry has had one line too many:greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
03-09-2013, 07:24 AM
His team might be doing really poor right now, but they HAVE been a decent outfit that played nice football and created a lot of chances, they HAVE won a national cup at Hampden (beating a team we lose heavily too whenever we play them there).
Not saying either I'd want him at Hibs, but he's done not too shabby there and I'd wager he turns around St Mirren over Pat at Hibs.

clerriehibs
03-09-2013, 07:25 AM
@pieandbov: On a different note I believe Danny Lennon will be leaving #StMirren within the next 48 hours. #SPFL #ScotPrem

So a smaller club with a smaller budget than us, that have won a cup in the last 6 months, are getting rid of their manager before us.

Bigger teams should get rid of their manager first?

cocopops1875
03-09-2013, 07:29 AM

May I suggest you had more than A Line Wi Garry

The Voice Of Reason
03-09-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm not saying Danny Lennon is the "answer".

However, he did really well at Cowdenbeath, where he served his apprenticeship. He then got St Mirren playing very good football, kept them in the SPL and won a cup for them. I'm therefore pretty confident with the facilities and resources available at Hibs, that Danny Lennon would be doing a much better job than Pat "The Irish Magician" Fenlon !

The only downside with Danny Lennon is that he looks like one of these old geezers that you often see on an LRT bus......fair to say that he hasn't aged very well ! :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
03-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

St Mirren sacking Lennon now would be a ridiculous decision. It's kind of understandable that a club that isn't used to winning trophies would have a bit of a lull after winning one (eg Swansea). Obviously they need to snap out of it eventually, but some of the stats presently being used to bash Lennon are absurdly contrived (eg one win in a time period where half the time was close season).

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM

stop it, please

Andy74
03-09-2013, 08:49 AM
His team might be doing really poor right now, but they HAVE been a decent outfit that played nice football and created a lot of chances, they HAVE won a national cup at Hampden (beating a team we lose heavily too whenever we play them there).
Not saying either I'd want him at Hibs, but he's done not too shabby there and I'd wager he turns around St Mirren over Pat at Hibs.

It's amazing how far we go to paint a great picture of everyone else and only look for the worst in our own.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 08:55 AM
It's amazing how far we go to paint a great picture of everyone else and only look for the worst in our own.

I'd say beating Hearts in a cup final was a good result, I'd also say beating Celtic in a cup final as Sheils Kilmarnock team did is also a good result. I'd also like to say our Manager Fenlon had done similar but can't, and that's not to say i'd want either at Hibs.

We don't have to look very far to see what's far from right with our latest incumbent, and its only natural people will compare recent results we have had to managers of other clubs.

The Sea-gull
03-09-2013, 10:14 AM
I think St Mirren fans have a right to demand Danny Lennon's sacking. It is easy for us to say he's won them a trophy and has them playing nice football but it is a results driven business and it is really the league that counts, cup wins are a bonus.

As an outsider looking in, a realistic place for St Mirren to expect to be after three years under a manager is a consolidated SPL club looking to challenge to get into the top 6. I'm not saying not being in the top 6 is a failure for them but they should be at least looking to challenge by now as if ICT, Ross County and St Johnstone can manage it then so can they. I wouldn't even regard Motherwell as a much bigger club than St Mirren.

Makes our own state look even more sorry in that we have been struggling to achieve something in recent seasons (a regular top 6 challenge) that a club like St Mirren could regard as a realistic and achievable aim.

The pure and utter pish-ness of ourselves, Aberdeen and now Hearts in recent times has meant that the top 6 has opened up for more and more of the smaller clubs.

hibs0666
03-09-2013, 10:31 AM
I think St Mirren fans have a right to demand Danny Lennon's sacking. It is easy for us to say he's won them a trophy and has them playing nice football but it is a results driven business and it is really the league that counts, cup wins are a bonus.

Can't agree that cups are a bonus. Clubs like St. Mirren and Hibs have hee-haw chance of winning the league and cups are the trophy opportunity.

MB62
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
When St. Mirren first appointed Danny, I couldn't believe it and nearly fell about laughing. I predicted he would be the first sacking of a manager in the SPL that season, fair play to him that he lasted so well.
However, suggesting he could be the next manager at ER is frying pan and fire stuff, although given R.P's record of appointing managers, nothing would surprise me.
Personally hope he stays put as like the Yams want P.F. to stay with us, Danny could yet be the man to save us from the drop.

The Sea-gull
03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Can't agree that cups are a bonus. Clubs like St. Mirren and Hibs have hee-haw chance of winning the league and cups are the trophy opportunity.

Sorry, what i meant was is that league form is the true measurement of a manager's capabilities. Winning cups is great and are of course an achievement but consisent and decent progress in the league gives a better long term indication of how a club is doing under a manager.

Of course, if progress and consistency is achieved in the league, fans will then look at the cup records and if they are not great, the manager gets it in the neck for that!

SaulGoodman
03-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Not sticking up for Fenlon but this is a very good point :agree:

RickyS
03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
I'd say beating Hearts in a cup final was a good result, I'd also say beating Celtic in a cup final as Sheils Kilmarnock team did is also a good result. I'd also like to say our Manager Fenlon had done similar but can't, and that's not to say i'd want either at Hibs.

We don't have to look very far to see what's far from right with our latest incumbent, and its only natural people will compare recent results we have had to managers of other clubs.

this. i think both Sheils and Lennon work on a budget about 1/3 of ours? anyone confirm?

silverhibee
03-09-2013, 11:22 AM

You need to stop hanging about with Gaz, just say no.

Craig_in_Prague
03-09-2013, 11:24 AM

How have I painted a great picture?

True or False: St Mirren played some very decent football, especially in the early part of last season?
True or False: St Mirren were creating decent chances most weeks
True or False: They won the LC at Hampden, putting 3 past Hearts

I stated also things are bad for them now, but as he has delivered good football already and also a national cup, I just think St Mirren should be careful what they wish for.
I also said I wouldn't want him at Hibs.

We are still waiting on our manager, to deliver football or results.

SaulGoodman
03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
How have I painted a great picture?

True or False: St Mirren played some very decent football, especially in the early part of last season?
True or False: St Mirren were creating decent chances most weeks
True or False: They won the LC at Hampden, putting 3 past Hearts

I stated also things are bad for them now, but as he has delivered good football already and also a national cup, I just think St Mirren should be careful what they wish for.
I also said I wouldn't want him at Hibs.

We are still waiting on our manager, to deliver football or results.

Sorry but apart from part 3 that could also be us.

Craig_in_Prague
03-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Creating decent chances vs. Leigh Griffiths scoring goals from anywhere, worked by himself.

Granted, we played OK in a few games early in the season, but in the main, LG carried the side last season.

SaulGoodman
03-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Creating decent chances vs. Leigh Griffiths scoring goals from anywhere, worked by himself.

Granted, we played OK in a few games early in the season, but in the main, LG carried the side last season.

Cairney was on fire at the start of the season, we were creating loads of chances.

Granted Griffiths made most of his goals himself but this was towards the end of the season.

khib70
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM

How,exactly? Was there a mythical Golden Age of Fenlon when we played great football and won more than one game in a row. Did I miss all the other home league games we won this year apart from the meaningless Dundee fixture?

I wouldn't want Danny Lennon as manager, but his team has won a trophy, and at times played better football than PF's teams have played at any time.

The Falcon
03-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

St Mirren sacking Lennon now would be a ridiculous decision. It's kind of understandable that a club that isn't used to winning trophies would have a bit of a lull after winning one (eg Swansea). Obviously they need to snap out of it eventually, but some of the stats presently being used to bash Lennon are absurdly contrived (eg one win in a time period where half the time was close season).

How would you class Hibs then :cb

SaulGoodman
03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
How,exactly? Was there a mythical Golden Age of Fenlon when we played great football and won more than one game in a row. Did I miss all the other home league games we won this year apart from the meaningless Dundee fixture?

I wouldn't want Danny Lennon as manager, but his team has won a trophy, and at times played better football than PF's teams have played at any time.

We were unbeaten at home until the Aberdeen game, top of the league and just knocked Hearts out of the cup.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Fenlon then, however people conveniently forget these things.

I've already said I want Fenlon gone, but saying we've been poor from the start is just kidding everybody.

Part/Time Supporter
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
How would you class Hibs then :cb

Good example, as it happens. Hibs went about 10 games without winning, including that dire triple-header v soon to be relegated Dunfermline, after the 2007 CIS Cup final.

SaulGoodman
03-09-2013, 02:15 PM

For the record- Hibs' form at the start of last season until the Aberdeen game in November:
LDWWDWDLWLWWWL

Of course, my mind goes fuzzy after that :greengrin :wink:

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2013, 02:17 PM
If Fenlon had delivered us the Scottish Cup he'd have gone into the history books as a legend, even though he's barely won a game in the league. It now appears cups are a bonus, so that being the case we should only judge on league games. Hows our bloke done with them?

Stevie Reid
03-09-2013, 02:19 PM

Twice last season we won three games in a row, and two in a row on one occasion.

By comparison, we lost 3 in a row once, and two in a row on three occasions.

To get back to some relevance about the thread title, we beat Lennon's St. Mirren team 3 times last season, taking 10 points from 12 and scoring 8 and conceding 5.

Big Sexy Dave
03-09-2013, 04:04 PM
He plays decent fitba but he has a midfield of Harkins, Mcgowen, McGinn, Mclean and Goodwin providing Thomson. That's a top 6 midfield. Underachieving.

yekimevol
03-09-2013, 04:26 PM
no thanks, if a league cup and poor league positions is our goal in our next manager i would rather kenny shiels.

Lucius Apuleius
04-09-2013, 07:33 AM

Beating a team we lose heavily too whenever we play them there? Once in my living memory.

Craig_in_Prague
04-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Beating a team we lose heavily too whenever we play them there? Once in my living memory.

were you born post 2006?

jdships
04-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Thanks Andy !
Was trying to think how to put that thought into print :top marks

Part/Time Supporter
04-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks Andy !
Was trying to think how to put that thought into print :top marks

It's true enough.

If Hibs did appoint Danny Lennon as manager, the same folk who are defending him here with the "he beat Hertz in a cup final" patter would start picking on the weaker points in his resume.

Stevie Reid
04-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Any appointment we make will be met with derision by many, as any appointment will always be someone who is unproven, or someone who has failed somewhere in the past.

If we had appointed Brendan Rodgers before Swansea got him he would have been dismissed by many as a guy who was at Watford for 5 minutes, and a disaster at Reading - and that wouldn't exactly have been an inaccurate description at the time.

Craig_in_Prague
04-09-2013, 08:52 AM
It's true enough.

If Hibs did appoint Danny Lennon as manager, the same folk who are defending him here with the "he beat Hertz in a cup final" patter would start picking on the weaker points in his resume.

I dont see many that actually want him?
Beating Hearts in a cup final "patter"...jeez.

Why not accept other teams with much smaller budgets, get better footballing teams on the park and in the case of St Mirren, won a national cup?

Where as Hibs have been on a downward spiral since we last won anything.

the good points on our current manager are cringeworthy. He's changed the culture at the club? Better standard of player? anything else?
Why then are supporters at almost an all time low?
Home record is embarrassing?
Barely muster a shot on goal every week?
ANOTHER humiliation against Malmo.

Progress!!

SlickShoes
04-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Apart from winning the cup he has been dire, this thread is ridiculous. St Mirren are about to sack him and some of you think he would be a great hibs manager that is "easily" better than fenlon.

I live along the road from whatever the st mirren stadium is called these days, they are chronic most of the time, play dire football and it's worse than the tripe I am seeing at Easter Road recently. As bad as we are, bringing in the manager of an even worse team has to be the worst suggestion ever or just straight up trolling.

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Apart from winning the cup he has been dire, this thread is ridiculous. St Mirren are about to sack him and some of you think he would be a great hibs manager that is "easily" better than fenlon.

I live along the road from whatever the st mirren stadium is called these days, they are chronic most of the time, play dire football and it's worse than the tripe I am seeing at Easter Road recently. As bad as we are, bringing in the manager of an even worse team has to be the worst suggestion ever or just straight up trolling.

There is only one person who's posted on this thread that wants him to be our manager, some have said he'd do a lot better than Fenlon with the players we have, do you disagree?

heretoday
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm for sticking with Pat. Come on Hibs!

silverhibee
04-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Danny Lennon should stick in, his next win will just be around the corner. :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
were you born post 2006?

Won't bother replying with such an obviously stupid question. I was probably not in the country but please do enlighten me how many times we have played them at hampden in the last 45 years.

Craig_in_Prague
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Won't bother replying with such an obviously stupid question. I was probably not in the country but please do enlighten me how many times we have played them at hampden in the last 45 years.

I don't know how many times, in my life time just the twice thankfully.
Battered by 4 goals going on 10 in both.
So a side with the budget as St Mirren, beating them at Hampden, playing well and scoring 3 goals, should get a little bit more credit - especially from Hibs fans!

PatHead
04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I do have some sympathy with the board in selecting managers. There have not been too many which the fans didn't want. Personally I have wanted Paul Sturrock and Terry Butcher over a couple of our last selections but didn't see the harm in the choices made without the benefit of hindsight. When you think of some of the names touted about in the past things probably wouldn't be much better. Imagine if Jim Gannon or Paul Simpson (of Carlisle at the time) had got the job when they were heavily touted. Where are they now? Would Michael O'Neill have done better? we will never know but how many fans are desperate for him to be appointed now. To me the one we really missed out on was Steve Clark (who wasn't on anyone's radar before the selection began and would have been a gamble) but apart from that................. well, it is really easy to criticise appointments after they go wrong. By the way don't want Lennon.

Barney McGrew
04-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Since they the League Cup Final in March, Pat Fenlon's 'boring' Hibs team have won five times as many matches as Danny Lennons 'playing good football' St Mirren team.

lucky
04-09-2013, 12:14 PM

No way, he's is probably the only manager in the SPL that's worse than PF

Lucius Apuleius
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't know how many times, in my life time just the twice thankfully.
Battered by 4 goals going on 10 in both.
So a side with the budget as St Mirren, beating them at Hampden, playing well and scoring 3 goals, should get a little bit more credit - especially from Hibs fans!

No, I never said any of that. So twice that I can recall in my rather longer lifespan, technically correct to say every time however I would not use it for twice personally.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Think my heartbeat would stop if he was our manager.