PDA

View Full Version : Follow through thick and thin???

omalley50
02-09-2013, 01:27 PM
First timer posting so go easy folks
Over 40 years coming to E R and cannot remember feeling so distant from the club
Not one player who lifts the spirits.
I cant help but notice that the usual faces of which I had become on nodding terms with and who made the match day experience
enjoyable seem to be diminishing," rapidly".
The camaraderie and mutual will is also disappearing.
There is more moaning at Easter Road than there is at a maternity ward.
The last game I slightly enjoyed at E R believe it or not was 0-0 against the sheep.
I go with my 2 sons who are died in the wool Hibbies but I can even sense a hint of despair from them also.
The "follow thru thick and thin" argument can only hold for so long when the product is utter keech..
It has gone beyond a joke when the fans are openly ridiculing the majority of our players
Please can we have someone in the team with a modicum of pace.
Pace and width please.
I was brought up a Hibs supporter because we played the game the proper way,
The current incumbents need to get their fingers out and play with a bit of passion or they will be playng on front of crowds of 4-5000 before the season is out.

GGTTH

Sammy7nil
03-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Can't disagree with original post. There used to be about 20 (including kids) of us had ST's 6 years ago that numder is now 6 !
Once "fans" stop going it is very difficult to win them back.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Can't disagree with original post. There used to be about 20 (including kids) of us had ST's 6 years ago that numder is now 6 !
Once "fans" stop going it is very difficult to win them back.

I'm impressed that you're still going.

matty_f
03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
I feel something similar towards .net

More at home on kickback?

LioNeilMessi
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM
The last game I slightly enjoyed at E R believe it or not was 0-0 against the sheep.
GGTTH

You must be joking :confused:

I was at that game and IMHO it was less enjoyable than at the weekend. Monday night and tiny crowd IIRC.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Shouldn't the title of the post be Thin and Thinner?

StevieC
03-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I was unsure whether this thread would be football or medical related.

A strategically positioned comma could have saved confusion. :wink:

Crossgates Hibs
03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
First timer posting so go easy folks
Over 40 years coming to E R and cannot remember feeling so distant from the club
Not one player who lifts the spirits.
I cant help but notice that the usual faces of which I had become on nodding terms with and who made the match day experience
enjoyable seem to be diminishing," rapidly".
The camaraderie and mutual will is also disappearing.
There is more moaning at Easter Road than there is at a maternity ward.
I go with my 2 sons who are died in the wool Hibbies but I can even sense a hint of despair from them also.
The "follow thru thick and thin" argument can only hold for so long when the product is utter keech..
It has gone beyond a joke when the fans are openly ridiculing the majority of our players
Please can we have someone in the team with a modicum of pace.
Pace and width please.
I was brought up a Hibs supporter because we played the game the proper way,
The current incumbents need to get their fingers out and play with a bit of passion or they will be playng on front of crowds of 4-5000 before the season is out.

GGTTH

Sums it up for me posted similar elsewhere. I'm normally a bit of a happy clapper but changes need to be made quickly. Always been a fan of Petrie but think it has gone stale with him and some ambition is required

MSK
03-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I feel something similar towards .netYou came back for a second shot ..you must like it here ..

The Falcon
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I'll still be a Hibee the day I die.

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Shouldn't the title of the post be Thin and Thinner?and getting thinner still.

Sammy7nil
03-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm impressed that you're still going.

Hi Radge, I am not one of the six :wink:

eastterrace
03-09-2013, 06:14 PM
maybe this is what level we are and will be for the next 4-5 years or longer , we use to be a big scottish club but we have probably found our level in the game, bottom six with the odd good season flung in, pretty sad really but if we just accept were we are and remember its only a game then it wont feel so bad. most fans are no longer bothered, i use to go with about 6 guys who were season ticket holders but no more, i still have mine and im trying not to get so down about it , maybe things will improve but look at our history and it tells you only for a season or two.

basehibby
03-09-2013, 06:57 PM
If you look at our form over the last three years and then look at the crowds over the piece then I think that "thick and thin" is demonstrably the way that Hibees support their team.

We're always hoping for a new dawn and usually we're disappointed. But we keep going.

I think most of the died in the wool will keep on going relentlessly. But it's the young un's that are a worry - if you're going to get bitten by the football bug then you need some thrills to go with the spills, and the stats show that the thrills at Easter Road have been very thin on the ground for quite some time.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2013, 07:11 PM
I was unsure whether this thread would be football or medical related.

A strategically positioned comma could have saved confusion. :wink:

A misplsced comma could have caused mayhem.

"Follow through, thick and thin" would have confirmed it as medical! :wink:

hibbeedavid
03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I feel pretty much same as OP, purely going along to ER through a sense of duty as opposed to looking forward to it, not only do I feel my passion for Hibs being drained away,

I am also very worried about the split within the support itself, most clubs (including ourselves in the past) when they are going through a tough patch (granted in our case the best part of 5 years is quite a 'patch'!) the fans either unite behind the team to encourage (ie Hearts this season) or unite with a common cause such as wanting the manager out (ie St Mirren this season) where at Hibs this year you have those blaming the manager and wanting him out, those blaming the board and wanting them out and those blaming the manager and board and wanting them both out! With a lot of in-fighting regarding these issues hence why I don't think any fan protests worked as no one could agree on what the protest should be about!

The club has a lot to answer for, from our woeful performances on the pitch to the joke the club shop has been with the lack of stock and range (such as the lack of woman's shirts and the mini-kits not even being made by the kit manufacturer)

The problems surrounding this club are very deep rooted and I personally think the senior management think that after a couple of decent results everything will be rosy again, however I don't think that will wash this time and surely Petrie can't bin Fenlon just before the AGM again and laud his own 'decisive' action...he's played that card too many times

lord bunberry
04-09-2013, 01:11 AM
You must be joking :confused:

I was at that game and IMHO it was less enjoyable than at the weekend. Monday night and tiny crowd IIRC.

He might be meaning the game when we lost 1-0 to the sheep, it was one of our best performances last season despite the fact we lost.

jdships
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM
It will be 73 years in December since I went to my first match at ER
In that time I have walked away (three times ) , threatened never to come back ( at least three times ),written to the board ( twice )etc etc
And on all occasions have RETURNED to suffer yet again :greengrin:
I'm sure it's my destiny to suffer at the hands of Hibs

The situation has changed dramatically in those 73 years .
Then you went to football on a Saturday because your g-father went and your father went and your uncle went so you went !!
There was very little else to do .
Now youngsters have so much entertainment " thrust" upon them that football is away down the pecking order

At nearly 82 all I want now is a SCOTTISH CUP win PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flag:

StevieC
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
A misplsced comma could have caused mayhem.

"Follow through, thick and thin" would have confirmed it as medical! :wink:

At the very least it needed ..

"Follow, through thick and thin"

jacomo
05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
In that time I have walked away (three times ) , threatened never to come back ( at least three times ),written to the board ( twice )etc etc

Then you went to football on a Saturday because your g-father went and your father went and your uncle went so you went !!
Now youngsters have so much entertainment " thrust" upon them that football is away down the pecking order

At nearly 82 all I want now is a SCOTTISH CUP win PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You certainly deserve to see Hibs lift that trophy!

I take your point about the range of entertainment on offer these days. Yet I work in the live entertainment industry (albeit arts not sports) and the industry is bigger than ever, in terms of audiences and revenues. Despite many dire warnings over the years about TV and latterly the internet killing live entertainment, people love seeing a real performance in the flesh, and love being part of a crowd. Of course, 'the product' has to be right!

The OP makes the point about getting into Hibs because the played football 'the right way', and I think this is a core part of the club's identity. Results will fluctuate, luck will be with us or desert us, but as a club we must remain true to what we believe in. I don't think it's just results that are keeping people away, but a deeper sense of disconnection between the club and its fans.

Hibbyradge
05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
At the very least it needed ..

"Follow, through thick and thin"

Indeed, but my version was more fun! :greengrin

hughio
05-09-2013, 10:39 AM

I am sure you have the sympathy and respect of many on here...in that order.

My first game was in the early 1960s and I have lapsed for periods along the way, revived by taking kids along as they showed a bit of fitba interest.

Current fare however is not nourishing the current generation. Yes live action and family connections will always give it an edge over other entertainments but there really has been so little to get excited about at ER in recent years that crowds are bound to fall.

Playing in the hibs way/tradition must be a priority.It is utterly mysterious that those running things don't seem to understand that whilst all fans do....tutored as they have been by their Dads and grandads.

What is this shortsightedness about?
We can take losing we just can't take this clueless defensive hoofball.

Anybody there??

jdships
05-09-2013, 10:46 AM
You certainly deserve to see Hibs lift that trophy!

I take your point about the range of entertainment on offer these days. Yet I work in the live entertainment industry (albeit arts not sports) and the industry is bigger than ever, in terms of audiences and revenues. Despite many dire warnings over the years about TV and latterly the internet killing live entertainment, people love seeing a real performance in the flesh, and love being part of a crowd. Of course, 'the product' has to be right!

The OP makes the point about getting into Hibs because the played football 'the right way', and I think this is a core part of the club's identity. Results will fluctuate, luck will be with us or desert us, but as a club we must remain true to what we believe in. I don't think it's just results that are keeping people away, but a deeper sense of disconnection between the club and its fans.

Thank you for your kind thoughts
I agree totally with what you say ( highlighted )
" the product' has to be right " is IT - don't give the punters what they want " ba's on the slates "
I still help out in the tourist business dealing with visitor queries and as in your business they are looking for what amounts to " value for money"
I spoke with STF on this very subject around five years ago and he was , and probably still is , well aware of football being part of the entertainment industry

Is it fair to say the problems at ER come down to " Project Management " or lack of it ?

IMO comaparing things with sixty/seventy years ago is difficult and dangerous as social values are completely different

--------
05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
maybe this is what level we are and will be for the next 4-5 years or longer , we use to be a big scottish club but we have probably found our level in the game, bottom six with the odd good season flung in, pretty sad really but if we just accept were we are and remember its only a game then it wont feel so bad. most fans are no longer bothered, i use to go with about 6 guys who were season ticket holders but no more, i still have mine and im trying not to get so down about it , maybe things will improve but look at our history and it tells you only for a season or two.

I'm sorry, but this isn't what I understand as being what following a football club is about.

A sense of realism is one thing, but accepting where we are and remembering it's only a game doesn't cut it. This is the sort of stuff Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown brought to the Scotland team and look where it ended - Berti von Klutz and Harry Potter, and "We're only a wee country and we should know our place." Like the New Zealanders "know their place" in world Rugby Union?

If I really thought that what you're describing is all that Hibs can achieve and Hibs supporters should be looking for, I'd start watching Albion Rovers or Airdrieonians. (IF Farmer and Petrie don't waken up, I still might.)

Football is full of stories of small clubs and small nations achieving all sorts of things that seemed way beyond them. Uruguay's a smaller country than Scotland, but they've won two World Cups. Once upon a time Liverpool were a run-of-the-mill Second Division team in the Football League - until Bill Shankly came along and they started to dream the dream.

At ER it used to be the Baker Boys entrancing the crowds. Now it's the Banker Boys driving the crowds away.

You may not have noticed, but right now I am VERY angry about the way Farmer and Petrie appear to be running my football team right now - so reasonable, so logical, so measured. So boring.

When football becomes reasonable and boring and risk-free and dream-free, we may as well jack it in.

Right now I'm getting close to that point, but I'm not quite there yet.

hibbydog
05-09-2013, 06:37 PM
What exactly is ' thick' (good times?) and 'thin' (bad times?)

Or is it the other way round

Just wondered like....

The Falcon
05-09-2013, 06:42 PM
More at home on kickback?

Feels like kickback most days :whistle:

HH81
05-09-2013, 06:59 PM

hope you see it too :flag::aok:

brian6-2
05-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry, but this isn't what I understand as being what following a football club is about.

A sense of realism is one thing, but accepting where we are and remembering it's only a game doesn't cut it. This is the sort of stuff Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown brought to the Scotland team and look where it ended - Berti von Klutz and Harry Potter, and "We're only a wee country and we should know our place." Like the New Zealanders "know their place" in world Rugby Union?

If I really thought that what you're describing is all that Hibs can achieve and Hibs supporters should be looking for, I'd start watching Albion Rovers or Airdrieonians. (IF Farmer and Petrie don't waken up, I still might.)

Football is full of stories of small clubs and small nations achieving all sorts of things that seemed way beyond them. Uruguay's a smaller country than Scotland, but they've won two World Cups. Once upon a time Liverpool were a run-of-the-mill Second Division team in the Football League - until Bill Shankly came along and they started to dream the dream.

At ER it used to be the Baker Boys entrancing the crowds. Now it's the Banker Boys driving the crowds away.

You may not have noticed, but right now I am VERY angry about the way Farmer and Petrie appear to be running my football team right now - so reasonable, so logical, so measured. So boring.

When football becomes reasonable and boring and risk-free and dream-free, we may as well jack it in.

Right now I'm getting close to that point, but I'm not quite there yet.

Both took us to our last major tournaments the latter led us to victory away from home against the likes of england, holland and germany.

footballs football, your right, every club has its dream and this allbeit in a funny way is ours.

you need to be a bit more patient, the good times will come back. :wink:

--------
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Both took us to our last major tournaments the latter led us to victory away from home against the likes of england, holland and germany.

footballs football, your right, every club has its dream and this allbeit in a funny way is ours.

you need to be a bit more patient, the good times will come back. :wink:

I know, but they also made a habit of talking down our chances and expectations.

Patience isn't a virtue that comes easily to me, Brian - I'm getting older by the minute and I'm beginning to worry that if/when the good times return, I'll no be around to see them ....

brian6-2
05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
I know, but they also made a habit of talking down our chances and expectations.

Patience isn't a virtue that comes easily to me, Brian - I'm getting older by the minute and I'm beginning to worry that if/when the good times return, I'll no be around to see them ....

i think wee broon and andy done a great job mate.

i know what your saying doddie, i feel the same as well but weve had good times watching hibs and bad, thats football mate. although we are in a rough patch im confident the good times will roll again. :thumbsup: