PDA

View Full Version : Jim Herriot - Hibernian Historical Trust

Hibs History
02-09-2013, 12:39 PM
The Hibernian Historical Trust presents a new player profile on the website

Jim Herriot

Link (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/162-jim-herriot)

Please read and share your memories of Jim below

GGTTH

:flag:

greenlex
03-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Very underrated keeper.
Not a lot of people know this but Author James Herriot of All Ceatures great and Small fame took his pen name after watching Jim play for Birmingham against Man United on the tellybox.

Deansy
03-09-2013, 11:07 AM
What a goalie and what a team - great times to be a Hibee !!

hibbybrian
03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
What a goalie and what a team - great times to be a Hibee !!

I was at Parkhead for the game against Celtc in December 1972 when we got a 1-1 draw thanks to an Alan Gordon goal and a tremendous goalkeeping display by Jim :not worth

Note that we had beaten Celtc in the previous 2 meetings (both cup finals) :thumbsup:

That year we played Rangers 6 times, winning 4, drawing 1 and losing only once :hibees

Not a bad time to be a Hibby right enough :greengrin

Iggy Pope
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
I was at Parkhead for the game against Celtc in December 1972 when we got a 1-1 draw thanks to an Alan Gordon goal and a tremendous goalkeeping display by Jim :not worth

Note that we had beaten Celtc in the previous 2 meetings (both cup finals) :thumbsup:

That year we played Rangers 6 times, winning 4, drawing 1 and losing only once :hibees

Not a bad time to be a Hibby right enough :greengrin

Was that loss the cup replay at ER?
Packed house that night. My old man squeezed us into the old South Enclosure. Could not see a ****ing thing. I think I love the Hibs now, but I idolised them then.

hibbybrian
03-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Was that loss the cup replay at ER?
Packed house that night. My old man squeezed us into the old South Enclosure. Could not see a ****ing thing. I think I love the Hibs now, but I idolised them then.

It was a 2-1 loss in a league match at ER on 18 Nov 1972

the other games were-

15-4-72 1-1 draw SCSF at Hampden
24-4-72 2-0 win SCSF at Hampden
29-4-72 2-1 win League match at Ibrox
2-8-72 3-0 win Dryborough cup at ER
22-11-72 1-0 win League cup at ER

:hibees

I'll check for the replay you mention

hibbybrian
03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
The S C replay you went to was on 28-2-1973 when despite having 80% of the play, we lost 2-1

10914 10913

Tom Hart RIP
03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I was at Hampden for the Scottish Cup semi final. 2-0 flattered Rangers. This was one of the finest performances I have ever seen. It could have been 6 or 7 nil.
Stanton was unbelievable. Bear in mind this Rangers team won the Cup Winners Cup the following year so they were a decent side but we were magnificent.
The 3-0 win in the Drybrough cup semi was also fantastic. Mega fight in the shed that night.
Ps the league cup win was at Hampden I think. John Brownlie goal

hibbybrian
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Ps the league cup win was at Hampden I think. John Brownlie goal

You're correct of course :agree:

Iggy Pope
03-09-2013, 03:55 PM
The S C replay you went to was on 28-2-1973 when despite having 80% of the play, we lost 2-1

10914 10913

That must be the fellah You confused me with the 6 times in a year thing as Nov 72 and Feb 73 are different years but in the same season...! Good work and marvellous times indeed. And we had seven nowt and about 850 hat tricks between Gordon and O'Rourke in amongst it!!!!

No one mentioned Jim Herriots black eyes yet?

lapsedhibee
03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
That must be the fellah You confused me with the 6 times in a year thing as Nov 72 and Feb 73 are different years but in the same season...! Good work and marvellous times indeed. And we had seven nowt and about 850 hat tricks between Gordon and O'Rourke in amongst it!!!!

No one mentioned Jim Herriots black eyes yet?

Make up underneath the eyes. Weird.

Iggy Pope
03-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Aloce Cooper or Dave Vanian in a yellow jersey.

Golden Bear
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM

I think it was just muck which he said helped to reduce the glare from the floodlights/sun.

Honest!

Tom Hart RIP
03-09-2013, 06:19 PM
The SC replay at ER was watched by 49007.
At 1-1 we were denied stonewall penalty and they ran up field and were awarded a penalty when one if their players was tackled outside the box.
I think the ref was Bobby Davidson and I never forgave him.
He was in the other half when he awarded it.
This is all from memory so someone please feel free to contradict.
Also did the winners play Airdrie in the semi?
And wasn't Davidson connected to Airdrie? Did he become a director?
My theory was that he wanted a bigger crowd in the semi and lesser opponents?
Feel free to correct me as my memory may have faded over the years

ancient hibee
03-09-2013, 06:36 PM
At 1-1 we were denied stonewall penalty and they ran up field and were awarded a penalty when one if their players was tackled outside the box.

This may have been the game when Edwards was flattened in the box-no penalty given-ball rebounds to Duncan who volleyed it into the net-Davidson chalks off by giving offside against Edwards who is climbing to his feet nowhere near the play.30 seconds later someone on the Rangers right leans into Schaedler who gets out of his way to let him fall-Davidson still arguing with Duncan and Edwards half way inside Rangers half gives penalty from around 60 yards away.This is when I finally realised that we would never be given an even break against Rangers.Davidson was made a Director at Airdrie and no doubt celebrated at the Lodge.

One Day
03-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Nothing wrong with your memory

Iggy Pope
03-09-2013, 07:56 PM

This may have been the game when Edwards was flattened in the box-no penalty given-ball rebounds to Duncan who volleyed it into the net-Davidson chalks off by giving offside against Edwards who is climbing to his feet nowhere near the play.30 seconds later someone on the Rangers right leans into Schaedler who gets out of his way to let him fall-Davidson still arguing with Duncan and Edwards half way inside Rangers half gives penalty from around 60 yards away.This is when I finally realised that we would never be given an even break against Rangers.Davidson was made a Director at Airdrie and no doubt celebrated at the Lodge.

Bobby Davidson. Even the thought of his jug eared coupon to this day....Is it too much to hope he is deid? And somewhat less than peacefully?

Jonnyboy
03-09-2013, 08:00 PM
]Bobby Davidson[/B]. Even the thought of his jug eared coupon to this day....Is it too much to hope he is deid? And somewhat less than peacefully?

Is no longer with us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Davidson

Tom Hart RIP
03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I once read a book which suggested that he took the huff when Jack Taylor got the 74 World Cup Final as he (Davidson) had been promised it. Hope that was true.
I remember a song at the time which went 'The hills are alive with the sound of Davidsons a Bstard'
That was the year Rangers won the cup and qualified for the Cup Winners Cup which they won, but we were a far better team.

Iggy Pope
03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Is no longer with us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Davidson

Thanks Jonny.
Doesn't say if it was long, drawn out or painful though.
(Apologies to all sufferers of equal but less deserved symptoms).

Iggy Pope
03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
I once read a book which suggested that he took the huff when Jack Taylor got the 74 World Cup Final as he (Davidson) had been promised it. Hope that was true.
I remember a song at the time which went 'The hills are alive with the sound of Davidsons a Bstard'
That was the year Rangers won the cup and qualified for the Cup Winners Cup which they won, but we were a far better team.

Not doubting your judgement but didn't they win the ECWC in 72? We were in it the next year, same year as they cheated us in the SC replay?

Tom Hart RIP
03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
You're right. Got dates mixed up. It just shows how good we were at that time.
We didn't appreciate whatever had.
Happy days.