PDA

View Full Version : Inverness - example in how to play the game properly!

California-Hibs
02-09-2013, 07:41 AM
You know what? I just got finished watching the highlights of the Inverness vrs Hearts game, and THAT is the style of how you play football and entertain the paying fans. They always create so many chances! That's not the first nor the last time that I will be impressed with Cally Thistle, and they've impressed me for the past few years under Butcher.

I just felt the need to start a thread on this. If we played anything like the attacking football that they do, with the fan base that we have I honestly believe we'd have crowds of 13-14K at Easter Road regularly.

For those of you who haven't watched the highlights yet of their weekend game I encourage you to do so (The Hamell sending off is particularly amusing! :greengrin ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4N647Rz_MM&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLAmNSUlUap5sNWgDy9_dL5HkD7mwHgEII

If only we had Butcher in at Hibs. Aaah.... :boo hoo:

Iceman1875
02-09-2013, 07:45 AM
You know what? I just got finished watching the highlights of the Inverness vrs Hearts game, and THAT is the style of how you play football and entertain the paying fans. They always create so many chances! That's not the first nor the last time that I will be impressed with Cally Thistle, and they've impressed me for the past few years under Butcher.

I just felt the need to start a thread on this. If we played anything like the attacking football that they do, with the fan base that we have I honestly believe we'd have crowds of 13-14K at Easter Road regularly.

For those of you who haven't watched the highlights yet of their weekend game I encourage you to do so (The Hamell sending off is particularly amusing! :greengrin ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4N647Rz_MM&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLAmNSUlUap5sNWgDy9_dL5HkD7mwHgEII

If only we had Butcher in at Hibs. Aaah.... :boo hoo:

What's more impressive is that Butcher is delivering on 800k playing budget each year, crazy.

Diclonius
02-09-2013, 07:46 AM
But according to Petrie, Inverness' form is just a blip and they'll be back to normal in no time! A blip that's lasted over four years, of course.

#FromTheCapital
02-09-2013, 07:50 AM
That sending off :faf::faf: What goes around comes around Hamill ya baldy prick.
Looked a decent game to be fair, Caley guaranteed 2nd spot if they keep playing like that, could've easily been 5 or 6 had it not been for Mcdonald. They look a wee bit suspect at the back though.

The Sea-gull
02-09-2013, 07:51 AM
But according to Petrie, Inverness' form is just a blip and they'll be back to normal in no time! A blip that's lasted over four years, of course.

It's only really last season and the start of this that ICT have been really decent. Season 11/12 saw them as one of three teams (the others being the Pars and of course us) still in with a chance of being relegated until about 3 games to go.

I do agree though in the last year they have consistently produced results and performances streets ahead of anything we have for about 4 years.

I can't believe there are still one or two people who scoff at the idea of Terry Butcher or Stuart McCall managing Hibs and would rather have their wee pal wee Pat.

Iceman1875
02-09-2013, 07:54 AM
For me its all down to Butchers leadership and stature in the game and the ability to use his contacts to pick a player.

Springbank
02-09-2013, 08:15 AM
For me its all down to Butchers leadership and stature in the game and the ability to use his contacts to pick a player.

Before I make my point here I want to point out I'm in Inverness quite a lot, and I love it (and all the villages round about it), a great quality of life....but....

...there's no getting away from it, Inverness is a long way away from where most footballers live (whether in Scotland or England) so it is an even bigger achievement for Butcher to attract these guys to the Highlands, to play football.

Hibs have got so many advantages over these other clubs (the draw of Edinburgh being a big one) and it just makes it all the more frustrating that yet again we have another wasted season and the worst ever Scottish result in Europe to drag around like a ball and chain until Pat Fenlon mans up and takes responsibility and resigns in sheer apology at the terrible mess he has made of his big opportunity in the game

Iceman1875
02-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Before I make my point here I want to point out I'm in Inverness quite a lot, and I love it (and all the villages round about it), a great quality of life....but....

...there's no getting away from it, Inverness is a long way away from where most footballers live (whether in Scotland or England) so it is an even bigger achievement for Butcher to attract these guys to the Highlands, to play football.

Hibs have got so many advantages over these other clubs (the draw of Edinburgh being a big one) and it just makes it all the more frustrating that yet again we have another wasted season and the worst ever Scottish result in Europe to drag around like a ball and chain until Pat Fenlon mans up and takes responsibility and resigns in sheer apology at the terrible mess he has made of his big opportunity in the game

Good post, agreed.

truehibernian
02-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Perhaps it's also a case that Inverness players develop and instill the 'let's show them' attitude due to the perception that because they are remote they are not as significant in the football world - much like Ross County have too. They have actually turned their 'minnow' status into a real positive and an advantage psychologically against other teams - the 'how can we possibly compete against sides with their resources' - Derek Adams again stressed this post match on Saturday.

Seems to me that both Highland clubs have more of a togetherness and team approach to things - less 'billy big time' traits too.

The culture away from football may be different too.

I'd love to ask someone like Vic Palsson - did you change your social habits at New York or in Holland ? He seems to be thriving in Holland after his time in America - here though he got embroiled in the George Street 'thang'. Do our players really want to succeed at football or is it just to get by and earn a wedge before disappearing into obscurity ?

SaulGoodman
02-09-2013, 08:31 AM

What season is wasted?

Just_Jimmy
02-09-2013, 09:42 AM
It might be hearts but that sending off is an absolutely ****ing disgracful decison.

That neither the ref or linesman could tell properly that that hit his head and hot his hands from that position is a crime against football.

It is just another example of the absolute piss poor standard in our game from top to bottom.

Hearts should (i know they cant afford it) appeal, they should win, and that clown of a referee should be refereeing junior fitbaw forever.

clerriehibs
02-09-2013, 10:09 AM
It might be hearts but that sending off is an absolutely ****ing disgracful decison.

That neither the ref or linesman could tell properly that that hit his head and hot his hands from that position is a crime against football.

It is just another example of the absolute piss poor standard in our game from top to bottom.

Hearts should (i know they cant afford it) appeal, they should win, and that clown of a referee should be refereeing junior fitbaw forever.

**** hamill, **** homfc

matty_f
02-09-2013, 10:11 AM
**** hamill, **** homfc

:agree:
Red card every day of the week, the cheating hearts b@#$/rd. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
02-09-2013, 10:16 AM

:agree: Shocking decision - but tis magic! :greengrin

I'd love Butcher at ER.

SaulGoodman
02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
:agree: Shocking decision - but tis magic! :greengrin

I'd love Butcher at ER.

I'd love a butcher at ER too, the pies are murder right now :agree:

Andy74
02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Let's not kid ourselves.

Terry Butcher would be great until we expected a better standard of player than he goes for there because he has a better bdget, then if they didn't settle in a few weeks they'd be getting booed and cheered off when subbed. When Butcher went through a sticky spell it would be a case of yet another manager failing at Hibs and what is wrong with the whole place.....

Butcher has had a bit of time there to settle things, to allow players to develop and the style of play to develop. They've had some bad spells but they all seem to stick together and stick it out.

Billy McKay scored 3 times in his first season. Would he or Butcher still be here at Hibs?

The Sea-gull
02-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Let's not kid ourselves.

Terry Butcher would be great until we expected a better standard of player than he goes for there because he has a better bdget, then if they didn't settle in a few weeks they'd be getting booed and cheered off when subbed. When Butcher went through a sticky spell it would be a case of yet another manager failing at Hibs and what is wrong with the whole place.....

Butcher has had a bit of time there to settle things, to allow players to develop and the style of play to develop. They've had some bad spells but they all seem to stick together and stick it out.

Billy McKay scored 3 times in his first season. Would he or Butcher still be here at Hibs?

Agree to an extent but we wouldn't need or expect a better standard of player than he has at Inverness if he moulded a team that could finish where Inverness did last season and where they are looking likely to this.

Yes, we would have been calling for McKay's head after his first season and he might have left.

Sometimes, particularly in the SPL, it is not about who your players are and more about who is managing them and getting them to gel together.

As for Butcher surviving bad times in the Hibs seat, hard to work out as maybe a few years ago he would have been sacked if we hadn't performed well under him but these days Petrie appears to be more willing to hold his fire. There would definitely be more of our support calling for the head of the English Hun Terry Butcher than the wee Irish Emerald steeped in Hibernian tradition that is wee Pat.

Just_Jimmy
02-09-2013, 11:38 AM
**** hamill, **** homfc

Aye very good.

When it us getting screwed because nothing happened yet again mind dont cry into your pint.

patlowe
02-09-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure anyone could have predicted the strides Butcher has gone on to make at Inverness in the past season and a bit. His entire philosophy appears to have changed and he's developed an incredible team mentality up there. You have to give him loads of credit for that but his record wasn't great in the past and it would have been a bit of a punt going for him. Unfortunately, i'd suggest we are no longer in a position to get him, similarly McCall.

erin go bragh
02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Aye very good.

When it us getting screwed because nothing happened yet again mind dont cry into your pint.

Like our goal against them that was only 3 foot over the line .
Fluck them !

Ggtth

KeithTheHibby
02-09-2013, 12:48 PM

He also gets the best out of average players. Keeps to a system too. Sells a player and then gets someone else in to play thus keeping the system intact.

Great manager and will leave for bigger and better things.

davym7062
02-09-2013, 01:09 PM

its part of our 5 year plan :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Let's not kid ourselves.

If we got Butcher in as manager, and nearly 2 years later we were still ****in useless and were driving the fans away with boredom, then i'd want rid of Butcher too.

Its not rocket science, we demand better football and better results. I'd sack anyone who does not supply it if they had the kind of results and performances our previous managers have given us.

Mowbary managed to change one of the most boring sides i have seen since this one in under 3 months. He did that with a few astute buys and some up and coming kids, but we saw from the very first game a system of play with a purpose and it was exciting.

IT SHOULD NEVER TAKE THIS LONG TO SEE IMPROVEMENT.