PDA

View Full Version : Making the Best of What We've Got

TheFamous1875
01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Our midfield 3 (I think it has to be 3, considering we have so many) should be Craig, Thomson and Robertson. There's a lot of variation there, I think it could work really well. Two goal scorers, and arguably our best player on his game holding it all together. Taiwo and TJ will get their chances through injury, but they'll have to prove they're good enough for the starting XI, likewise for these three.

Maybe a 3-5-2 is the best formation for us? It's not fashionable, but Harris at RM, McGivern at LM, the aforementioned three in the middle, and Heffernan and Collins up top. At the back, Hanlon, Nelson and Forster. I think this is definitely our best XI on paper. Thomson tires, get Taiwo on, Craig or Robertson tire, get Cairney or Stanton on, the top two tire, get Handling or Caldwell or Vine (if he can be bothered) on. Guys like Stevenson will always be in and around due to injuries/form.

This is my conclusion. I think we have good players, and we need to get the best out of them. I think this approach would enable that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Since90+2
01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Our midfield 3 (I think it has to be 3, considering we have so many) should be Craig, Thomson and Robertson. There's a lot of variation there, I think it could work really well. Two goal scorers, and arguably our best player on his game holding it all together. Taiwo and TJ will get their chances through injury, but they'll have to prove they're good enough for the starting XI, likewise for these three.

Maybe a 3-5-2 is the best formation for us? It's not fashionable, but Harris at RM, McGivern at LM, the aforementioned three in the middle, and Heffernan and Collins up top. At the back, Hanlon, Nelson and Forster. I think this is definitely our best XI on paper. Thomson tires, get Taiwo on, Craig or Robertson tire, get Cairney or Stanton on, the top two tire, get Handling or Caldwell or Vine (if he can be bothered) on. Guys like Stevenson will always be in and around due to injuries/form.

This is my conclusion. I think we have good players, and we need to get the best out of them. I think this approach would enable that.

We have nowhere near enough quality in defence to play 3 at the back. We would be slaughtered by teams if we played a 3-5-2.

IberianHibernian
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
After losing our two best players , LG and Claros ( and Doyle who had an impressive scoring record ) we no longer have players who make a difference over 3 or 4 matches in our league ( fully fit Harris may be such a player and hopefully Collins or new French player might be too ) but I think we may have a squad to make top 4 ( 2nd to 4th ) in league but without great entertainment . Positive side is that we can change team without noticing difference much .

Jonnyboy
01-09-2013, 09:02 PM

The fundamental flaw in that threesome, according to the Pat Fenlon book of team selection, is that only one of them can play the holding role

West hamBERNIAN
01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
We have nowhere near enough quality in defence to play 3 at the back. We would be slaughtered by teams if we played a 3-5-2.

If played properly we would always have cover from Lwb or rwb. I think it could work well for us. Very much doubt pat would be in the frame of mind for trying out new systems though.

Eyrie
01-09-2013, 09:55 PM
The big problem with 3.5.2 is the demands it places on the wide players. They're expected to defend as full backs, attack as wingers and have the stamina to do both roles for 90 minutes.

Harris isn't a defender but a very effective winger whilst McGivern is a good defender who can help out when he comes forward. Neither is therefore suitable for the wing back role and I don't think we have anyone else who could do the job either.

TheFamous1875
01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
How did we manage it under McLeish? Laursen on the left, and Lovell on the right?