PDA

View Full Version : Hibs kids day/ family stand/ swearing

kaisersmith
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Admittedly I have not attended many games in recent years (i was previously a season ticket holder) yesterday was a reminder of why I don't and wasn't because of what was on the pitch.

My daughter (7) has shown a remarkable interest in football/hibs and was really looking forward to her first game of the season. Being the hibs kids games I got tickets for us in the "family section".

I don't agree with abusing players (especially before they have even kicked off), who am I to tell adults how to behave at football games. However the language and hate screamed from those football experts in the "family section" really isn't acceptable. Surrounded by kids, grown adults scream f##k c##t w##k at there own players. Good lessons to give your kids on how to support your team. On objecting to it I was referred to as a "hearts c##t" from one particularly articulate gentleman with teeth like mechanics fingernails.

If teams are judged by the quality/class of there support I think we deserve to be exactly where we are.

frazeHFC
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I hear a lot more abuse in the FF than where I normally go. Have sat there for years but got fed up of some of the people around me. Now sit in the East and hardly hear any. Could be because everyone around me is singing but a lot less shouting at players than where I previously was.

Keith_M
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I've heard similar comments from a number of fans, so there must be something in this. I definitely think that those who've experienced simlar should let Hibs know about it and the effect it has on their decision to attend future games at ER. I personally think their should be more stewards in the family section and they should take a much harder line with fans behaviour than in the rest of the stadium.

Cabbage East
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow. People really get upset at folk swearing at the football? Really?

If you make the decision to take your child to the football then you do so knowing that it's highly likely grown men will be there that will swear, shout abuse and get upset. What exactly did you expect?

Keith_M
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM

If you make the decision to take your child to the football then you do so knowing that it's highly likely grown men will be there that will swear, shout abuse and get upset. What exactly did you expect?

It's a Family Stand, that should make a difference.

Just out of interest, are you a parent?

Speedy
01-09-2013, 02:57 PM

I don't get upset by people swearing but continuously shouting things like 'Get tae f*** Stevenson, you're f'in rubbish' at 0-0 does put me off going to games.

RoYO!
01-09-2013, 03:03 PM

I knew there would be someone along soon to forgive it. Good one...

LeithBoozy
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
It is unacceptable conduct in any part of the stadium, let alone in a family section. They are idiots and should be reported. I got myself into a few pagers back in the day, through so called supporter's slagging the team, so it is certainly not a new problem. :rolleyes:

marinello59
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM

My 11 year old lad has been going since he was 4 and has heard it all. Usually we just laugh at the madness of it all together. Most of us who take our kids along do so knowing they will hear swearing. There's swearing and there is swearing though and please don't start asking what I mean, we all know. Those who don't know the difference and simply don't care about how they behave in front of kids are few and far between. As you say we are talking about grown men, only boorish bullies cross the line when it comes to behaving badly in front of families and the world would be a better place if they simply stayed at home.

Dashing Bob S
01-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Nonsense. If children aren't encouraged to go to football, there will be no football clubs in the future. And they deserve an environment that, while not cossetted (yes, kids will hear those words and see drunks stoating around anyway) doesn't continually subject them to the verbally violent, threatening neurosis of inebriated clowns. There is enough space in a stadium to have the zoned area of a Family Stand operating as what it is designated for, a space to take children without them being subjected to drunken neanderthals screaming obscenities in their ears. Equally, there's enough for people to get pissed and let rip without looking over their shoulder and facing disapproving scowls from sweetie wives. I like to do both, depending on circumstance, but different standards of behaviour are applicable to the different circumstances and different parts of the stadium.

That said, I think Hibs have the zoning wrong. I notice in the FF there are plenty unreconstructed die-hards who like behind the goals, as it's the traditional Hibs end. Also the bar of the same name is there, encouraging the hardcore piss heads who want to get in maximum drinking time to congregate there. I would make a virtue of of necessity and move all the vocal support to this location, and switch the family section to part of the east, or the bottom tier of the West. Yes, I can see why it's where it is, as it's the furthest spot from the away supporters, but kids are, at present, far more likely to encounter obscene behaviour from our fans than visitors.

I'd like to know other fans feel about this. A full East stand rocks at big games, but the FF could rock and generate atmosphere at every home game.

cocopops1875
01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
It is unacceptable conduct in any part of the stadium, let alone in a family section. They are idiots and should be reported. I got myself into a few pagers back in the day, through so called supporter's slagging the team, so it is certainly not a new problem. :rolleyes:

Well done Sir what an example you were setting :confused:

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
i was sitting a couple of rows down from some guy shouting non-stop for the first 20 mins(east), every 2nd word was f***...f*** sake hanlon...f*** sake nelson...f*** sake stevenson...until another guy at the back of him started shouting at him tae support the team and stop all the abuse, although it was just for the abuse of the players and not the swearing i think, funny enough i didn't here another word from the guy after that lol, there's a time and a place for swearing...and it aint in front of young kids imo

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Nonsense. If children aren't encouraged to go to football, there will be no football clubs in the future. And they deserve an environment that, while not cossetted (yes, kids will hear those words and see drunks stoating around anyway) doesn't continually subject them to the verbally violent, threatening neurosis of inebriated clowns. There is enough space in a stadium to have the zoned area of a Family Stand operating as what it is designated for, a space to take children without them being subjected to drunken neanderthals screaming obscenities in their ears. Equally, there's enough for people to get pissed and let rip without looking over their shoulder and facing disapproving scowls from sweetie wives. I like to do both, depending on circumstance, but different standards of behaviour are applicable to the different circumstances and different parts of the stadium.

That said, I think Hibs have the zoning wrong. I notice in the FF there are plenty unreconstructed die-hards who like behind the goals, as it's the traditional Hibs end. Also the bar of the same name is there, encouraging the hardcore piss heads who want to get in maximum drinking time to congregate there. I would make a virtue of of necessity and move all the vocal support to this location, and switch the family section to part of the east, or the bottom tier of the West. Yes, I can see why it's where it is, as it's the furthest spot from the away supporters, but kids are, at present, far more likely to encounter obscene behaviour from our fans than visitors.

I'd like to know other fans feel about this. A full East stand rocks at big games, but the FF could rock and generate atmosphere at every home game.

excellent post DBS :agree:

LeithBoozy
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Well done Sir what an example you were setting :confused:

I know mate, I thought that myself as soon as I posted. :greengrin

Pete
01-09-2013, 03:38 PM

That's a good point about the location and maybe the west lower would be better.

Someone else mentioned more stewarding and that would also be a good idea. Maybe one patrolling each isle reminding any ranter or raver where they are. It might sound a bit much but it's sold as a family stand and it should be just that. There would be plenty other areas with a more liberal approach.

To be honest, I don't think it's that bad and it's just your luck. It's fairly densely populated and adults tend to stand out amongst the kids. The people I sit around look like the types you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of but they know where they are, how to behave and that kids around them will simply copy their actions should they start losing it.

Someone who was a few rows down started shouting and swearing yesterday. Honestly, the boy sitting right next to me, who must have been about five, stood up on his seat and tried to repeat what the guy said. It just illustrated that kids don't do as adults say, they do as they do.

patch1875
01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Surely you don't want to subject your kid to hibs atm

Pete
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Surely you don't want to subject your kid to hibs atm
:greengrin

I don't know. I go and try and support the team regardless and try not to moan.

Perseverance, patience, maturity and sticking with the team no matter what are attributes I'm hoping my kid picks up during this spell

Jonnyboy
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Wow indeed. The old 'dinnae go then' argument eh

Wilson
01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
If people can't abide swearing in the family stand then don't listen to the kids.

Hibeesforever
01-09-2013, 04:33 PM

I have to totally agree with this post. In fact said the same in an email that I have drafted to the club.
Yesterday, having already been turned down by my two kids because Hibs "are boring"; they should know because they have been to four games now and never seen a goal. However, what was the last straw was once again being told after a twenty five minute wait in the lower famous five that there were no pies....the last straw, if the football is crap at least get the match day experience and atmosphere right. Behind the goals for section 43 to beat some noise and bouncy castles for the families outside the West. The club shop is a complete joke operation. Imagine anyone thinking black is a glamorous sought after colour. Horrendous range for kids and nothing for girls. I have spent all my money on season tickets, so only away grounds will in future get money from me.
There is a lot for yhe board to focus on; and not just the manager.

Hedlund12
01-09-2013, 04:41 PM

It's a Family Stand, that should make a difference.

Just out of interest, are you a parent?

CE are you having a laugh? As Keekaboo asks are you a parent? I as a parent do expect to take my son to the football and enjoy it without him continually hearing individuals using vile language and abuse players and the manager.... He knows he'll hear things (in songs etc and too often for my liking horrid abuse) that should never be repeated by him. "What goes on tour - stays on tour!" is my line to him. I took my 5 year old daughter yesterday and she was mesmerised by the abuse from behind her. So much so that the individual was aware of it and stopped it (which I was grateful for!). I choose not to sit in the Family Stand as unfortunately the language in there- from some- is not what I want to endure! Sadly where I sit in the lower West isn't great either. As a parent I expect to support my team/club without continually having *unt, *rick, *anker, *astard, *uck ringing in mine or my sons ears.... And for the record I can swear like the best of us but chose not to do it in the presence of my children....

wookie70
01-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I have politely asked a few folk to moderate their language in the Family section, mostly at bigger games. One guy wouldn't let it lie and had a right go at me and brought his mate into it as well. I find being calm and polite usually works and you also get support from those around you on most occesions. I stood my ground and crossed my fingers. To be fair to him he calmed down and only swore occasionally afterwards. I thanked him at half time and we shook hands. It must be difficult for some as swearing every second word seems to be the way they express themselves every day. Add a potent football game and they have no chance.

I think it is a very good idea to have different acceptable standards in different parts of the ground. The family section should be just that and given we have never sold out I don't think there is any need for anyone to be in there without kids. I went with my mates for years before the kids came along and our language was pretty poor. I would never have dreamed of going to the family section though.

I have excellent back row seats in the FF lower. However, I would love the chance to sit side on to the game with the kids. The extra cost prohibits it at the moment.

Jay
01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
It's not so much the bad language I find bad, it's the venom behind the words that is horrible to be around. I've never taken my kids to games expecting anything other than for them to hear bad language but it used to in the banter, now its literally spat at the players as if they are mass murderers or rapists. Enforcing family sections won't make much difference as its often parents with kids beside them that do it.my 11 year old was recently totally intimidated by a guy screaming venomous abuse over his head, it wasn't the swear words, it was the aggression that got to him.

Jack
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM

Pathetic.

Grown men, or indeed anyone who wants to f and c at a football game, out of common respect and decency should avoid doing it in the family stand of all places.

The c word is banned in the earthier pubs I drink in and the ONLY word fully banned* on the Bounce - that might give you some understanding of what is classed as unacceptable language in society. Having to explain it probably means you wont understand in much the same way as OF fans don't understand why their folk songs aren't universally accepted.

* The Bounce only ever banned the c word but now users can select a moderated language setting to filter out other naughty words.

aljo7-0
01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
It's not so much the bad language I find bad, it's the venom behind the words that is horrible to be around. I've never taken my kids to games expecting anything other than for them to hear bad language but it used to in the banter, now its literally spat at the players as if they are mass murderers or rapists. Enforcing family sections won't make much difference as its often parents with kids beside them that do it.my 11 year old was recently totally intimidated by a guy screaming venomous abuse over his head, it wasn't the swear words, it was the aggression that got to him.:agree: This. I used to take my older daughter to games and warned her that there would be swearing. She didn't mind the swearing - in fact it was quite educational for her I suspect :wink:. She doesn't want to go now because of the "angry men". I think she has been genuinely scared by the venomous way some fans direct their "criticism" at the team. She stopped coming when she turned 11 or so (old enough to make up her own mind I guess) - my younger daughter (now aged 10) comes with me and says she doesn't mind the swearing and finds "the angry men" funny. They are different characters, right enough, but I do worry that she might get sick/scared of it too, and that would be another fan lost.

sleeping giant
01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
It's not so much the bad language I find bad, it's the venom behind the words that is horrible to be around. I've never taken my kids to games expecting anything other than for them to hear bad language but it used to in the banter, now its literally spat at the players as if they are mass murderers or rapists. Enforcing family sections won't make much difference as its often parents with kids beside them that do it.my 11 year old was recently totally intimidated by a guy screaming venomous abuse over his head, it wasn't the swear words, it was the aggression that got to him.

Exactly my thoughts.
Grown "men" who behave this way need to have a good look at themselves.

Thecat23
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM

Maybe you need to read the actual thread properly. Family Stand gives it away.

Hibrandenburg
01-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Some might see this as hypocritical but here are my thoughts.

When my old man started taking me to games in the early 70's it was an everyday occurrence to see pockets of violence and mass paggers in and around the stadium. Sometimes during big games the skies around the streets at ER were swarming with missiles(bricks, bottles, golf balls and anything else folks could get their hands on) and it used to terrify the **** out of me as a young boy.

As I moved on into adolescence and started going to the games alone or with mates, the things that had terrified me started to excite me. What I'd experienced all my Hibs life became acceptable behaviour and I too became involved in the sort of behaviour that I'd seen lived out in front of me and not just at the football.

Times have changed and society has moved on, no longer is bigotry, homophobia or casual violence accepted and slowly but surely it's also being eradicated at the football too.

What I'm trying to say is I know my boy will probably find the murkier side of football fascinating later but before he does I want him to know that it's not the norm. Football should and will always be a game of passion where folks will let off steam in ways they'd never do at work or home. However the family stand is not the place to do it.

fatbloke
01-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Admittedly I have not attended many games in recent years (i was previously a season ticket holder) yesterday was a reminder of why I don't and wasn't because of what was on the pitch.

My daughter (7) has shown a remarkable interest in football/hibs and was really looking forward to her first game of the season. Being the hibs kids games I got tickets for us in the "family section".

I don't agree with abusing players (especially before they have even kicked off), who am I to tell adults how to behave at football games. However the language and hate screamed from those football experts in the "family section" really isn't acceptable. Surrounded by kids, grown adults scream f##k c##t w##k at there own players. Good lessons to give your kids on how to support your team. On objecting to it I was referred to as a "hearts c##t" from one particularly articulate gentleman with teeth like mechanics fingernails.

If teams are judged by the quality/class of there support I think we deserve to be exactly where we are.

Best OP I have read in a while, couldn't agree more. The last line is a belter and sadly how many see it.

Carheenlea
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
I had my two year old daughter along yesterday with my wife for her first Hibs Kids game in the Famous Five Lower yesterday and luckily never encountered any of the excessive swearing that others were subjected to. We had good seats in the back row and will keep the seat numbers for future Hibs Kids games we attend as a family.

It`s common sense really. Just because it`s a football match shouldn`t excuse foul language in earshot of kids, be that in the Famous Five or any other area of ground. If families are to be encouraged to congregate in a certain area of the ground, then adults should behave appropriately when in said areas.

Don Giovanni
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Genuine question:
I thought ER was a "family stadium" rather than having a "family stand" or "family section" and this was reflected in the pricing policy of having concessions throughout the ground?

FWIW if there are designated areas for families then adults should behave accordingly, of course.
IMO there should also be corresponding "no concession areas" which might help to alleviate a recurring issue.

sambajustice
01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
There's not enough swearing at football. All this pussy footing and "hard luck old boy" attitude has turned us into the soft touch football club that we are!!

No swearing at football?? You'll soon be sending your kids out in elbow pads and protective head gear to their soccer sevens matches on a Sunday morning! M

wookie70
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Some might see this as hypocritical but here are my thoughts.

What I'm trying to say is I know my boy will probably find the murkier side of football fascinating later but before he does I want him to know that it's not the norm. Football should and will always be a game of passion where folks will let off steam in ways they'd never do at work or home. However the family stand is not the place to do it.

I completely agree with this. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that a section could be set up so that the more "passionate supporters" could go and not have to watch their Ps and Qs. Sort of like Cinema Certification but for the crowd rather than the "entertainment". Nothing wrong with being wound up at the fitba in the right area of the ground. I miss the bi-weekly outpouring of emotion that I used to get when I went with mates.

I am sure there will be some equation where the language and vitriol at matches is the square of the entertainment/success on the park. When Hibs are poor, particularly when it is boring to watch, is when the anger and frustration really boils over. Easter Road is a pretty dismal place to be at the moment. Lets hope the team steps up and the volume of support is the only thing to worry about.

Don Giovanni
01-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I had my two year old daughter along yesterday with my wife for her first Hibs Kids game in the Famous Five Lower yesterday and luckily never encountered any of the excessive swearing that others were subjected to. We had good seats in the back row and will keep the seat numbers for future Hibs Kids games we attend as a family.

It`s common sense really. Just because it`s a football match shouldn`t excuse foul language in earshot of kids, be that in the Famous Five or any other area of ground. If families are to be encouraged to congregate in a certain area of the ground, then adults should behave appropriately when in said areas.

Completely agree with your second paragraph Carheenlea, and glad to hear your experience was civil.

But why take a 2 year old to the football? :dunno:

One Day
01-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Maybe you need to read the actual thread properly. Family Stand gives it away.

Where exactly is the family stand, (section). I been a season ticked holder in FF lower more or less since it opened and it has never been sold to me as the family stand

The Voice Of Reason
01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Ok, here's my take on things.

I'm no angel and have got into my fair share of bother at football (and in my younger days my behaviour was at times terrible).

Now I am a parent who takes my kids to the games - I am by default a bit older and wiser than I once was! I do now see things differently and behave differently at the football. I do not like my kids being subjected to bad language at Easter Road.

The answer I think is to politely ask the offending individual (or individuals) to please mind their language as you have your kids with you. If that doesn't work move seats (there are plenty spare seats nowadays) and/or ask a steward to intervene.

We are all passionate about our team and bearing in mind how I used to behave I have no right to be too self righteous about things. However given the OP was sitting in the "Family Stand" (the title should give it away), offending indivduals need to take a good long look at themselves.

Hibs Till We Die.

MADE IN LEITH
01-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Completely agree with your second paragraph Carheenlea, and glad to hear your experience was civil.

Why not take a 2 year old to the match? :confused:

It's a family sport and lots of families enjoy going to the football, furthermore it is encouraged by clubs throughout football, hence what family sections are for. Everyone in the family sections should use common sense and courtesy when in these sections. Another reason is that some mothers and fathers wouldn't manage to go to the games unless they take their young ones but why should they apologise in the first place?

I have saw lots of toddlers at games and I ensure that I don't shout out any bad language out of respect and know that families have every right to be there just like the rest of us.

Besides, most Hibs fans are respectful of that anyway.:greengrin

Carheenlea
01-09-2013, 06:24 PM

I have a season ticket in the East myself, and my daughter is always asking if she can go to see Hibs too. She is in the Hibs Kids so her ticket was free and my wife, who has been to a few games herself, came along to mainly enjoy a day out at Easter Road as a family, and to take the wee one out if she got fed up. I didn`t expect her to last the 90 minutes to be fair, but she actually enjoyed her afternoon with plenty of new things for her to see.

It was also a useful exercise to prove to my wife that while she thinks I`m away enjoying myself watching Hibs most weeks, the reality is otherwise..:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
01-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Ok, here's my take on things.

I'm no angel and have got into my fair share of bother at football (and in my younger days my behaviour was at times terrible).

Now I am a parent who takes my kids to the games - I am by default a bit older and wiser than I once was! I do now see things differently and behave differently at the football. I do not like my kids being subjected to bad language at Easter Road.

The answer I think is to politely ask the offending individual (or individuals) to please mind their language as you have your kids with you. If that doesn't work move seats (there are plenty spare seats nowadays) and/or ask a steward to intervene.

We are all passionate about our team and bearing in mind how I used to behave I have no right to be too self righteous about things. However given the OP was sitting in the "Family Stand" (the title should give it away), offending indivduals need to take a good long look at themselves.

Hibs Till We Die.

Add to that that times have changed and that's my exact thoughts.

wookie70
01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Where exactly is the family stand, (section). I been a season ticked holder in FF lower more or less since it opened and it has never been sold to me as the family stand

I think you are probably right. It doesn't seem to say anything on the official site. I think the FF lower has essentially become an area where families are far more likely to go due to cost. It would cost £360 more in total in season tickets for the 3 kids I take plus another £50 for me to go elsewhere in the ground. There is no way I could justify that so the FF lower it is. Looking at the pricing it is a bullseye cheaper for an Adult ST in the FF Lower than the rest of the ground so you can understand why supporters without kids want to sit there. However, it doesn't excuse really poor behaviour when there are so many Kids around.

One Day
01-09-2013, 06:30 PM
I think you are probably right. It doesn't seem to say anything on the official site. I think the FF lower has essentially become an area where families are far more likely to go due to cost. It would cost £360 more in total in season tickets for the 3 kids I take plus another £50 for me to go elsewhere in the ground. There is no way I could justify that so the FF lower it is. Looking at the pricing it is a bullseye cheaper for an Adult ST in the FF Lower than the rest of the ground so you can understand why supporters without kids want to sit there. However, it doesn't excuse really poor behaviour when there are so many Kids around.

Cheers. was a serious question because i had never heard it called family stand, just wondered

Don Giovanni
01-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I have a season ticket in the East myself, and my daughter is always asking if she can go to see Hibs too. She is in the Hibs Kids so her ticket was free and my wife, who has been to a few games herself, came along to mainly enjoy a day out at Easter Road as a family, and to take the wee one out if she got fed up. I didn`t expect her to last the 90 minutes to be fair, but she actually enjoyed her afternoon with plenty of new things for her to see.

It was also a useful exercise to prove to my wife that while she thinks I`m away enjoying myself watching Hibs most weeks, the reality is otherwise..:greengrin

Fair enough. Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

I would have thought that at 2 years old a child would be too young to enjoy or remember the game (wish I could forget much of the past 6 years at ER!) and that the experience might be quite loud / scary.

Good that she wants to join her Daddy at the game, though . And even better that she appeared to have a good time.

I am, however, still undecided whether subjecting a child of any age to watching Hibs could be construed as an act of cruelty :wink: :devil:

I hope you realise what you've let her in for...!

Don Giovanni
01-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Why not take a 2 year old to the match? :confused:

It's a family sport and lots of families enjoy going to the football, furthermore it is encouraged by clubs throughout football, hence what family sections are for. Everyone in the family sections should use common sense and courtesy when in these sections. Another reason is that some mothers and fathers wouldn't manage to go to the games unless they take their young ones but why should they apologise in the first place?

I have saw lots of toddlers at games and I ensure that I don't shout out any bad language out of respect and know that families have every right to be there just like the rest of us.

Besides, most Hibs fans are respectful of that anyway.:greengrin

To answer your question, see my response to Carheenlea above.

As for families attending I agree - it is important to encourage as many people as possible along to ER and today's child is tomorrow's ST holder.
(its also important for Hibs to entertain on the pitch but that's another argument)

As for "family sections" please see my other post questioning whether Hibs have a genuine area designated as such or whether the club considers the entire stadium to be "family friendly" [wrongly IMO].

Don Giovanni
01-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Fair enough. Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

I would have thought that at 2 years old a child would be too young to enjoy or remember the game (wish I could forget much of the past 6 years at ER!) and that the experience might be quite loud / scary.

Good that she wants to join her Daddy at the game, though . And even better that she appeared to have a good time.

I am, however, still undecided whether subjecting a child of any age to watching Hibs could be construed as an act of cruelty :wink: :devil:

I hope you realise what you've let her in for...!

hibs4thecup1988
01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I agree in a way the swearing excessively at your own players in ANY stand infront of kids is a bit OTT. MY son still finds it funny when the guy two rows in front of us stands and screams at Stevenson even if he doesn't have the ball...!

However...Yesterday took the absolute biscuit. I sit in the middle of the stand and shall I say "like to make my point". Realizing I am in the family stand I kept the swear words out of it, however when one of their players went right through Handling(the first time) and the ref never gave anything I jumped up and shouted "For f... sake ref this is a bloody joke". And got the most abuse I have ever heard from a guy in front of me. As I said to him at the time if that is the only problem we had at this football club then great. Yet someone a row behind me done the same and he said diddly squat.

Too many goody two shoes for me, if you don't get infuriated watching Hibs at the moment and let a swear word slip out then I seriously think your mouth has been wired shut!

hibsbollah
01-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I hear a lot more abuse in the FF than where I normally go. Have sat there for years but got fed up of some of the people around me. Now sit in the East and hardly hear any. Could be because everyone around me is singing but a lot less shouting at players than where I previously was.

I had the same experience. I sit with my young daughter in the East normally, and my one experience in the FF was enough.

Rubbish view, no atmosphere, no singing but a higher proportion of radges just being abusive, who presumably go there cos its cheaper, not because they have kids.

Hedlund12
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
There's not enough swearing at football. All this pussy footing and "hard luck old boy" attitude has turned us into the soft touch football club that we are!!

No swearing at football?? You'll soon be sending your kids out in elbow pads and protective head gear to their soccer sevens matches on a Sunday morning! M
So swearing makes us a "hard man" football club! Petty help us if this is the mind set of our "average" supporter! Oh and BTW loving your idea of pads and protective head gear for 7's - might put it to my sons coach!!!

Hibernia Na Eir
01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
my wee 5 year old "enquired" about the language coming from a 60+ y/o male in the FF Lower.

didn't really bother me tbh, but he would have known it was Hibs kids day so nae need for the choice language really.

Just part o fitbaw though.

judas
01-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Seen a few of these posts before.

The outcome is always the same. In this particular case, the first balloon appeared at post #4.

Bronson
01-09-2013, 08:46 PM
I pay good, hard-earned money for my season ticket and transport through etc, I feel I am more than entitled to swear and abuse players if I feel they aren't giving their all. My investment helps pay their wages and if I feel they aren't trying hard enough then I will be sure to voice my anger, be that in colourful language or not. I've attended games since I was about 6/7, and never have I not heard foul language at a game. It's a passionate game with passionate supporters, I was taught by my dad who took me to games not to use that language myself and I never until I reached an age where it was more reasonable.

I struggle to see how you can go to any football match and expect people not to swear or abuse players who are essentially wage thieves, be that in the 'family section' or not.

Alfred E Newman
01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
I have taken my 9 year old granddaughter 3 times into the FFL instead of my usual spot in the West. I have been going to the football long enough to realise that there is always going to be some swearing but on two occasions including yesterday had to remind some idiot that it was supposed to be a family area. It's predictable but sad. One guy was so cheesed off with it the language coming from one clown in particular that he got up and left with his kid. Who knows, that might be someone who never returns.

clerriehibs
01-09-2013, 09:06 PM
I pay good, hard-earned money for my season ticket and transport through etc, I feel I am more than entitled to swear and abuse players if I feel they aren't giving their all. My investment helps pay their wages and if I feel they aren't trying hard enough then I will be sure to voice my anger, be that in colourful language or not. I've attended games since I was about 6/7, and never have I not heard foul language at a game. It's a passionate game with passionate supporters, I was taught by my dad who took me to games not to use that language myself and I never until I reached an age where it was more reasonable.

I struggle to see how you can go to any football match and expect people not to swear or abuse players who are essentially wage thieves, be that in the 'family section' or not.

Wonder what your dad would have thought of you thinking it's OK and acceptable to swear in front of bairns.

IberianHibernian
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Swearing especially aggressive swearing , drunkenness and violence are all social problems that have nothing to do with football but Hibs would be stupid not to pay attention to comments on this thread since it`s obviously something that worries a lot of fans and will affect gates .We`re lucky that we have such a big stadium that we could have a properly controlled family area ( no swearing and maybe possibility of away fans being made welcome too - lower west for example ) . Behind both goals nosiy , home fans but still without letting drunks in . Maybe time to look at sponsors too but that`s another discussion .

SunshineOnLeith
01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
I remember when I was a kid first going to games there was the family enclosure in the lower of the old west stand, as that's where my Dad (a St Johnstone fan) used to take me when Hibs played Saints, and he'd wear his St J's scarf with no problems, and it was a much better atmosphere for young kids to get their first experiences of attending football and actually enjoying it. There was an equivalent at Tynecastle which I was also taken to for Saints games before I'd really settled on Hibs as my team. (Being born and raised in Edinburgh my Dad decided I should support an Edinburgh team and took me along to both a few times before I decided)

Has this type of thing just completely died out, or is it just at Easter Rd where there's no such section now?

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
So swearing makes us a "hard man" football club! Petty help us if this is the mind set of our "average" supporter! Oh and BTW loving your idea of pads and protective head gear for 7's - might put it to my sons coach!!!

i'm thinking that maybe the poster has one of these >>>> :fishin: if he's not....then subbuteo must be a game for right hard men that swear like **** :greengrin

Eyrie
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I presume that those in favour of swearing and ranting at players find it motivational when their boss does that to them?

Agree that anyone in an area full of kids needs to watch their language as well.

The Voice Of Reason
01-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Shout and swear all you want son - but not in the Family Section please :aok:

There's a good lad.

hibernator
01-09-2013, 10:14 PM
You have no right to swear at games, You have no right to shout abuse at anybody and you can be thrown out and banned for these offenses, This is part of the contract you enter into when you purchase a ticket, Everybody who buys a ticket has the right to feel comfortable in bringing whoever they want to a game without being exposed to obscene behaviour, If there was less of the swearing and abusing there may be more families at ER, It is ridiculous to say otherwise.

marleyhib
01-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Had some idiot sitting behind me last season in the FF lower. Continually standing up and calling Witherspoon a c*** at the top of his voice. I don't mind my kids hearing swearing at ER, they no doubt swear with their mates, I am
Prone to the odd outburst. This guy just spewed bile and after a few weeks I asked him to Goan give it a rest as I was tired of it. He went completely mental, threatened me and immediately got on his phone and said he was getting his mates down after the game. This infront of me and my mates kids and plenty others.

The next home game I went along thinking here we go but he never showed up, he's now moved. I told him to take a good look at himself so maybe it worked.

This type of idiot shouldn't be allowed at ER, most folk in the FF lower are sound. My main gripe is that his constant negativity and aggressive behaviour completely spolit the game and the atmosphere. My son's stopped going due to the bad football more than anything but if the atmosphere at ER was great he'd be more inclined to go.

NOLA
01-09-2013, 11:27 PM
What was the last hibs kids game where we actually won? Dundee last year maybe? The last few have been bogging to say the least and not games the kids enjoy and want to rush back for more of the same next week ;).

JohnStephens91
02-09-2013, 01:37 AM
I used to use choice words in the Famous Five Lower and nobody made any complaints, if they did I certainly would have watched my French. I think what helped me was that I never abused Hibs players and instead opposition players or referees if there was a major flashpoint or it was someone particularly worthy of receiving abuse ie Ryan Stevenson or Ryan McGowan. I wouldn't just get up and shout abuse for the sake of it, it would be when something had really irked me, not that it is an attempt to condone it. I was aware of where I was, but there were many in the FF Lower - with kids - who would should a lot worse than me.

RIP
02-09-2013, 05:06 AM
I had the same experience. I sit with my young daughter in the East normally, and my one experience in the FF was enough.

Rubbish view, no atmosphere, no singing but a higher proportion of radges just being abusive, who presumably go there cos its cheaper, not because they have kids.

This!

I know there will be those who are in the F5 due to cost and others who like the view but those of us at the South end of the East like being in a more positive vibe.

Maybe management should make the F5 lower families ONLY. That would also keep the abusers further away from the kids AND the players

Hermit Crab
02-09-2013, 07:43 AM
I have taken my 9 year old granddaughter 3 times into the FFL instead of my usual spot in the West. I have been going to the football long enough to realise that there is always going to be some swearing but on two occasions including yesterday had to remind some idiot that it was supposed to be a family area. It's predictable but sad. One guy was so cheesed off with it the language coming from one clown in particular that he got up and left with his kid. Who knows, that might be someone who never returns.

How do you know he left because of the swearing? Are you sure it wasn't because of what was happening on the park?

hibsbollah
02-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Maybe management should make the F5 lower families ONLY. That would also keep the abusers further away from the kids AND the players

I'd agree with that. No kids with you, no access to the family stand.

A lot of it is cultural. A genuine Ultra from Mediterranean Europe wouldnt sit anywhere else than the curvas behind the goal, but for whatever reason in this country they are usually seen as the rubbishy seats where you shove kids, families and other afterthoughts. I'd imagine not many Section 43ers would fancy swapping with the FF Lower :dunno:

Personally, some of my best football experiences have been in a bouncing (and sweary) crowd right behind the goal, Tynecastle and Ibrox 0-3 spring to mind.

dangermouse
02-09-2013, 08:14 AM

With no smiley at the end of your post I'm assuming the tag line under your moniker is two words too long. :wink:

dangermouse
02-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Excellent stuff :confused: Must remember to abuse my work colleagues if they are not pulling their weight to make suer the boss gets his money's worth out of them.

Maybe if we put as much effort into supporting the team as some do abusing the players we might see some more entertaining football. No surprise I best result of the season has been away from home with only 500 odd SUPPORTERS there backing the team.

lord bunberry
02-09-2013, 09:01 AM
From reading this thread why don't hibs just have a proper family section were swearing is not allowed. If everyone buying a ticket is aware of the rules before buying a ticket then there shouldn't be a problem. Tbh I can't believe it hasn't happened already.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Get over yourself. I've lnever seen so many "I"s and "me"s in a post! Has it crossed your mind that other people work hard for their money, and invest in the team too? Why don't you just go the whole hog and demand a gun to shoot the players with?

By the way, I work hard too - can I come to your work and shout abuse at you?

MADE IN LEITH
02-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Your right you are entitled to shout your displeasment to players as you are in effect paying their wages and your right it is a passionate game. But we all have to respect that there are families and young ones that go to football games who don't pay in to hear such language. I know I mind my language if there are young ones around, it isn't difficult to do really.

Bronson
02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Shout and swear all you want son - but not in the Family Section please :aok:

There's a good lad.

I sit in the East so I'm not in the family section. Please don't patronise me, I was merely stating my opinion. An opinion I am more than entitled to.

Scouse Hibee
02-09-2013, 01:45 PM

It's not about how much you pay for your season ticket or what you're entitled to do it's about showing respect to those around you especially if those around you happen to be women or children. Just because you're at a game of football it doesn't mean that common decency is thrown out of the window. I know we're never going to get zero tolerance but surely if you're surrounded by children any decent person would try to curtail their language.

Bronson
02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Get over yourself. I've lnever seen so many "I"s and "me"s in a post! Has it crossed your mind that other people work hard for their money, and invest in the team too? Why don't you just go the whole hog and demand a gun to shoot the players with?

By the way, I work hard too - can I come to your work and shout abuse at you?

It has crossed my mind, and I believe anyone who attends the game is entitled to vent their feelings. That 'gun' comment was totally irrelevant, I don't even have a problem with players playing poorly, just when they don't give 100% but still pick up their 3k wage packet at the end of the week.

Anyway, wasn't trying to cause any offence, I was merely stating my personal opinion. Apologies to whoever I may have offended.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
It has crossed my mind, and I believe anyone who attends the game is entitled to vent their feelings. That 'gun' comment was totally irrelevant, I don't even have a problem with players playing poorly, just when they don't give 100% but still pick up their 3k wage packet at the end of the week.

Anyway, wasn't trying to cause any offence, I was merely stating my personal opinion. Apologies to whoever I may have offended.

Fair play, no offence was taken. Sorry for telling you to get over yourself, you are entitled to act whatever way you want as long as it doesn't harm others.

I believe swearing and aggression can be a bit much for most kids, so they should be in the family section. If their parents chose to take them elsewhere, then they can't complain.

Keith_M
02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
So, is it actually the case that the FF lower is NOT a designated Family Stand? If this is the case, maybe someone could bring this subject up at the next fans meeting with the club (sorry, the name escapes me just now).

I personally think their should be a designated Family Area where overly aggressive behaviour and excessive swearing are not tolerated. I'm not saying that offenders should be thrown out immediately but at least given ample warning and then action taken if their behaviour does not improve. This also goes for parents.

marinello59
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
So, is it actually the case that the FF lower is NOT a designated Family Stand? If this is the case, maybe someone could bring this subject up at the next fans meeting with the club (sorry, the name escapes me just now).

I personally think their should be a designated Family Area where overly aggressive behaviour and excessive swearing are not tolerated. I'm not saying that offenders should be thrown out immediately but at least given ample warning and then action taken if their behaviour does not improve. This also goes for parents.

Given the number of families scattered round the whole ground and the relatively small number of grown men who simply don't care what they say in front of kids surely we should just cram the nutters in to a small corner of the ground. Call it the ********s section and they should find it alright.

Saorsa
02-09-2013, 06:52 PM
If we're going tae have lots of separate areas, how about an adults only area for those that dinnae want bairns screaming in their lug for the whole game. :thumbsup:

davhibby
02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
The thing is that most of the time, the worst offenders that I see normally have young kids with them

--------
02-09-2013, 06:59 PM

In a nutshell, Bob. :top marks

Since90+2
02-09-2013, 07:02 PM
I sit in Section 43 and woudnt want to move to the FF lower. Dont think anyone I go with would fancy the move either.

clerriehibs
02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
If we're going tae have lots of separate areas, how about an adults only area for those that dinnae want bairns screaming in their lug for the whole game. :thumbsup:

I don't believe such a problem really exists. I assume you're just one of these geriatric, knee jerk child haters?

Saorsa
02-09-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't believe such a problem really exists. I assume you're just one of these geriatric, knee jerk child haters?I couldnae give a **** what you believe

clerriehibs
02-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I couldnae give a **** what you believe

I'm gutted

Saorsa
02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm guttedBully for you

Bronson
02-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Fair play, no offence was taken. Sorry for telling you to get over yourself, you are entitled to act whatever way you want as long as it doesn't harm others.

I believe swearing and aggression can be a bit much for most kids, so they should be in the family section. If their parents chose to take them elsewhere, then they can't complain.

Water under the bridge.

Can't say I disagree with that to be fair, just think it's something that's part and parcel of the game. Although I suppose those in the family section could be a bit more courteous to those around them with young kids.

ColintonHibs
02-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I agree in a way the swearing excessively at your own players in ANY stand infront of kids is a bit OTT. MY son still finds it funny when the guy two rows in front of us stands and screams at Stevenson even if he doesn't have the ball...!

However...Yesterday took the absolute biscuit. I sit in the middle of the stand and shall I say "like to make my point". Realizing I am in the family stand I kept the swear words out of it, however when one of their players went right through Handling(the first time) and the ref never gave anything I jumped up and shouted "For f... sake ref this is a bloody joke". And got the most abuse I have ever heard from a guy in front of me. As I said to him at the time if that is the only problem we had at this football club then great. Yet someone a row behind me done the same and he said diddly squat.

Too many goody two shoes for me, if you don't get infuriated watching Hibs at the moment and let a swear word slip out then I seriously think your mouth has been wired shut!

I usually just sit and shake my head in disbelief that I paid money to watch this ****. However on saturday I got a bit carried away and shouted a few things at full time. Some lady looked at me horrified as if im supposed to clap them off shouting unlucky boys after that performance. Dont think so. FENLON AND PETRIE GTF