PDA

View Full Version : Going nowhere

ackeygraham
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
I've just came on and read about the style of football, of which I'm in agreement is poor at best, slow, and what can be described as depressing.

We all wish Fenlon would do the honourable thing and resign, but he won't and due to that I think the board have had to back him since we can't afford to sack him. This has also been proving with him being allowed to sign two more players. So a season till his contract runs out.

For this I can see crowds drop over next few games, but my question is how would you sort the situation on the pitch as on paper we have a good squad.....as I think that is as best we're going to get!

Thoughts?

Baker9
01-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I've just came on and read about the style of football, of which I'm in agreement is poor at best, slow, and what can be described as depressing.

We all wish Fenlon would do the honourable thing and resign, but he won't and due to that I think the board have had to back him since we can't afford to sack him. This has also been proving with him being allowed to sign two more players. So a season till his contract runs out.

For this I can see crowds drop over next few games, but my question is how would you sort the situation on the pitch as on paper we have a good squad.....as I think that is as best we're going to get!

Thoughts?

Don't play to avoid defeat, play to win. Total shots on target in yesterday's game 3(that's the total between both teams). Total shots on target in St Mirren v. Partick 27.

Billychaotic182
01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Injures to Harris and Cairney have been our biggest problem. Not a fan of Fenlon or his tactics but think to yourself what we would have been like with these two still in the team. On paper we have a really good team. I just wish we used them properly. We play not to lose under Fenlon. We don't play to win. Most of his post match interviews after we lose 1.0 he says we should be talking about the positives of a 0.0 that we were unlucky to get. 0.0 is a failure! The worse kind of draw! No one leaves a game at 0-0 and thinks they got there money's worth!

ackeygraham
01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Well I'd start with a 442 myself, one holding cm with a need for a more attacking cm.....do we have one in the squad - I'm not so sure but surely still players avail even though the window is up?

Need decent wingers who can deliver service, none of what I've seen so far this season. Apart we do look a bit more solid defensively but again right now is coming at a cost. We're is the balance.....

Think Collins will come good when doesn't have to come so deep, he should be more in and around the 18 yard area than getting the ball near the centre circle with back to goal.

Billychaotic182
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
When all players are fit out team would look
Like this

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Thompson
Craig
Cairney

Collins
Heffernan

Murdoch
Forster
Taiwo
Robertson
Handling
Vine
Zoubir

That team would compete against most in the spfl

K.Marx
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm actually surprised crowds are still at the 9k mark. Cannot see these holding with more performances like yesterday and when the winter weather comes in. I was happy with the signings made on Friday, however, if the footballing approach isn't changed then I cant see them having the desired impact. Fenlon will always set up not to get beat, rather than to win. As long as he is in charge I believe the entertainment on offer at ER will be virtually non existent. How many shots on target have we had in the 3 home games this season? 5/6? Would be surprised if its any more than that. Awful.

Heisenberg
01-09-2013, 10:59 AM
He knows its not good enough. The boos at the end of the game tell him that. Thing is though, he's got absolutely no clue how to sort it. He ran out of ideas after the start of last season when teams figured out how to stop us. Ever since its been pish football only covered up slightly by Sparky. Now we don't have him and we actually need to make chances for our strikers its not happening. Do the right thing Pat and walk away.

Northernhibee
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
The introduction of more attacking players should help. Zoubir and Heffernan will do a job and when Cairney and Harris return we will be stronger.

Andy74
01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
The introduction of more attacking players should help. Zoubir and Heffernan will do a job and when Cairney and Harris return we will be stronger.

Hope so. If it doesn't he will rightly be for the off.

Heedersnvolleys
01-09-2013, 11:08 AM

Thoughts?

Surely a former LOI manager can't be on that much and with only a year left on his contract I would say the loss of crowds could be at the stage where it out weighs the cost of getting rid of him:confused:

or it is purely down to Petrie's pig headed ness

Waxy
01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Like this

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Thompson
Craig
Cairney

Collins
Heffernan

Murdoch
Forster
Taiwo
Robertson
Handling
Vine
Zoubir

That team would compete against most in the spflYour probably right.Pity it's illegal to field 18 players in a match though.

Beefster
01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Folk should really stop saying that Fenlon is only here because we can't afford to sack him. It's rubbish. He's still here because Rodders has decided so.

cammy1969
01-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Well I'd start with a 442 myself, one holding cm with a need for a more attacking cm.....do we have one in the squad - I'm not so sure but surely still players avail even though the window is up?

Need decent wingers who can deliver service, none of what I've seen so far this season. Apart we do look a bit more solid defensively but again right now is coming at a cost. We're is the balance.....

Think Collins will come good when doesn't have to come so deep, he should be more in and around the 18 yard area than getting the ball near the centre circle with back to goal.

been saying the same for ages why we have to play with 2 holding midfielders beats the **** out of me 1 holding 2 wide men and 1 pushing up to support the 2 forwards would be my formation.

Tricla
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Like this

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Thompson
Craig
Cairney

Collins
Heffernan

Murdoch
Forster
Taiwo
Robertson
Handling
Vine
Zoubir

Zouby for Cairney.

WhileTheChief..
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
When did Cairney and Harris become our saviours? We were gash with them in the team before, can't see things changing much when they're back.

We need a manager that knows what he's doing.

Franck Stanton
01-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Like this

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Thompson
Craig
Cairney

Collins
Heffernan

Murdoch
Forster
Taiwo
Robertson
Handling
Vine
Zoubir

Only on paper as with the tactics currently being used by Fenlon even our best/strongest eleven would struggle

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Don't play to avoid defeat, play to win. Total shots on target in yesterday's game 3(that's the total between both teams). Total shots on target in St Mirren v. Partick 27.

no idea where you get they stats from but ross co had at least a couple of shots at goal in the 1st half alone(one of them coming back of a post) and McGivern had a crackin shot in the 1st half just over the bar, add to that another couple of shots from us in the 2nd half and they had a couple of shots in the last 15 mins, maybe not a lot of shots at goal right enough but it was certainly more than 3 :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm actually surprised crowds are still at the 9k mark. Cannot see these holding with more performances like yesterday and when the winter weather comes in. I was happy with the signings made on Friday, however, if the footballing approach isn't changed then I cant see them having the desired impact. Fenlon will always set up not to get beat, rather than to win. As long as he is in charge I believe the entertainment on offer at ER will be virtually non existent. How many shots on target have we had in the 3 home games this season? 5/6? Would be surprised if its any more than that. Awful.

if we come away with nothing against st.johnstone it will be interesting to see what the attendance is against st.mirren at ER the following game

TheFamous1875
01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Injures to Harris and Cairney have been our biggest problem.

Thng is, even with them gone (I'd jus talkie to point out that Cairney isn't a winger. Harris is the only winger on our books) we should have more in that position to get their chance. Stanton is a CM, as is Handling a CF, but they're young enough that they may be able to do a job there. As for Mullan, I'd really like to see him at RM. He has attacking qualities that we've seen when he gets forward, a good cross on him as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hibrandenburg
01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
no idea where you get they stats from but ross co had at least a couple of shots at goal in the 1st half alone(one of them coming back of a post) and McGivern had a crackin shot in the 1st half just over the bar, add to that another couple of shots from us in the 2nd half and they had a couple of shots in the last 15 mins, maybe not a lot of shots at goal right enough but it was certainly more than 3 :greengrin

Don't let facts get in the way of him slagging off his team.

LeithBoozy
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Pats tactics are ok away from home, defensive and hit on the break, but he is never going to get away with that at ER. If he keeps doing it, we will all be taking Williamsons advice and heading for the pictures. :wink:

truehibernian
01-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Injures to Harris and Cairney have been our biggest problem. Not a fan of Fenlon or his tactics but think to yourself what we would have been like with these two still in the team. On paper we have a really good team. I just wish we used them properly. We play not to lose under Fenlon. We don't play to win. Most of his post match interviews after we lose 1.0 he says we should be talking about the positives of a 0.0 that we were unlucky to get. 0.0 is a failure! The worse kind of draw! No one leaves a game at 0-0 and thinks they got there money's worth!

Not true -watch Aberdeen v Saints yesterday and ask whether you'd leave thinking you got value for money ?

From kick off, young Hasselbaink created a chance, weas caught marginally offside, won a corner and was an absolute nuisance - all in 4 minutes. Tempo, pace, skill.

After that the game flowed end to end, with Aberdeen utilising pace in Pawlett and McGinn/Wylde, with Saints nice and tidy and forward thinking all the time - even young D played with his head up and never looked to play back the way.

Both sides had what we lack ALL over the pitch - pace. Pat Fenlon simply does not know what pace is, and signs players who don't have it in abundance. That is why we will be torn apart and concede all season, as teams will exploit our slow midfield and our equally slow and ineffectual full back area - McGivern gets forward, but there is no pace outlet for him to release - Lewis simply doesn't get forward at all.

Hibernian are an awful side to watch and we will continue to be, even with the signings - which have left me totally underwhelmed (all the signings this window I may add). We yet again have missed what we need - searing pace up top and an energetic, driven midfielder.

I said way back before pre-season - Danny Carmichael, Michael Tidser, Scougall, Nigel Hasselbaink, Lyle Taylor - these are what we should have been going out and buying. What we've brought in are ponderous, slow, methodical players who don't have players around them that can lift the tempo one little bit. Fenlon said he was getting a better scouting network - you're having a laugh :aok:

Hibby70
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM

He said shots on target though.

Leith Green
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM

Agreed, we actually had a bigger gate than Aberdeen yesterday, and 1k less than the utd v celtic game (usual 5k mutants).

Guaranteed we will be 7k mark by december, when the cold weather and ***** football combine.

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
He said shots on target though.

well in that case he's grossly exaggerated the shots on target in the sheep v st.johnstone game then....which was 8 and not 27 ( which was actually 25 anyway) :)

Kaff
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Not true -watch Aberdeen v Saints yesterday and ask whether you'd leave thinking you got value for money ?

From kick off, young Hasselbaink created a chance, weas caught marginally offside, won a corner and was an absolute nuisance - all in 4 minutes. Tempo, pace, skill.

After that the game flowed end to end, with Aberdeen utilising pace in Pawlett and McGinn/Wylde, with Saints nice and tidy and forward thinking all the time - even young D played with his head up and never looked to play back the way.

Both sides had what we lack ALL over the pitch - pace. Pat Fenlon simply does not know what pace is, and signs players who don't have it in abundance. That is why we will be torn apart and concede all season, as teams will exploit our slow midfield and our equally slow and ineffectual full back area - McGivern gets forward, but there is no pace outlet for him to release - Lewis simply doesn't get forward at all.

Hibernian are an awful side to watch and we will continue to be, even with the signings - which have left me totally underwhelmed (all the signings this window I may add). We yet again have missed what we need - searing pace up top and an energetic, driven midfielder.

I said way back before pre-season - Danny Carmichael, Michael Tidser, Scougall, Nigel Hasselbaink, Lyle Taylor - these are what we should have been going out and buying. What we've brought in are ponderous, slow, methodical players who don't have players around them that can lift the tempo one little bit. Fenlon said he was getting a better scouting network - you're having a laugh :aok:

I remember you saying this months ago TH, you were right then and painfully moreso now LG is a distant memory. Unfortunately when the pitches get worse it will possibly be even more evident

SMAXXA
01-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Lots of managers n here who seem to know what pats tactics actually are

of course he tells all the players to just gout and defend

Emerald
01-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Well neither wonder they can't play, gout is a very sore condition :greengrin

thebigman1875
02-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Like this

Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Thompson
Craig
Cairney

Collins
Heffernan

Murdoch
Forster
Taiwo
Robertson
Handling
Vine
Zoubir

Agree with that with the exception of McPake-he's done I think, even at his age Michael Nelson is much less of a liability and more solid.

marti1875
02-09-2013, 07:03 AM
When did Cairney and Harris become our saviours? We were gash with them in the team before, can't see things changing much when they're back.

We need a manager that knows what he's doing.

:agree: Not so much with Harris but certainly Cairney. He started off last season really well then just went so far downhill as the season wore on, looked slow, carrying too much weight and eventually dropped and he even said himself that his form was awful and has a long way to go and has to put his head down and try to improve!!

truehibernian
02-09-2013, 07:50 AM

I would dearly love to know what he tells them mate - dearly :agree:

If you speak to any ex player, any coach, any decent pundit, they tell you (and have been for seasons) what Hibs are missing and that is pace and wide players. I'm simply baffled at the recruitment policy this window - really baffled.

When we are looking for an experienced, solid and dependable right back (due to Clancy being absent for ages), we bring in a 19 year old who had barely broken into the Hearts squad/first team. The addition of Nelson is decent given McPake has gone - and he has gone, it's only a matter of time in my opinion (due to his serious injury). McGivern is a good, solid left back so he gets pass marks from me.

Midfield - I've always defended and wanted KT. You see in the way he plays he is a pass ahead of everyone, but even he must be shaking his head at what poor players he has in front of him. Good addition but really should be made captain of the club.

OTJ - I really don't know what he brings to the table. Granted, at ICT he played well - but he had Shinnie, McKay, Foran and Doran as really handy outlets for his passing, and more often than not ICT were in the opposition half, so OTJ could sit and patrol. At Hibs we defend so often his lack of pace and positioning is evident.

Liam Craig is a very useful addition to the team, played centrally - his technique outisde the box is second to none and more often than not he will hit the target or make the keeper work.

Collins and Vine - I will stick my neck out here and say that neither will reach double figures in the striking department. Collins shows he can link up play well but in front of goal already what I see is a rabbit in headlights. Vine is better known for his beard - that to me says it all. Both look chunky and need George McNeill to take them up the Dunes and really work them hard so they get an additonal 2 yards in pace.

Heffernan I am pleased about as his record speaks for itself - I always looked out for him when he was at Doncaster as he very often appeared on the scoresheet I always thought he may get a bigger move.

Hibs play very very narrow football and very slowly. I'm sure Pat doesn't tell them to go out and defend - however he certainly doesn't tell them at 0-0 to really go for it, switch to 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 and strike the opposition hard. What side on Saturday walked off the pitch having ended the game on the front foot ? Against 'Well, likewise, what side went for it last 10 minutes ?

Nothing is quick, the tempo is slow. Hibs get a throw in or a free kick/corner, it's always slow and allows teams to reform and regroup. Ball retention is terrible and passes are rushed or ill thought through. Sure, it's a sign of low confidence - but Pat always said he wanted to bring in players that were resilient to that and could rise above periods of low confidence - what I see is players not really wanting the ball. Only Danny Handling the last few games has wanted to beat a man and take a man on. Surely that's what football is all about - beating men, showing off skills, creating chances ?

We used to band Hearts 'Hearts nil' a few seasons ago - I'm afraid it's a tag that will stick with Hibs under Pat Fenlon - the man simply doesn't want to lose games and sets his sides up accordingly.

What midfield players in the squad, currently fit, would you say are quick, incisive, creative and penetrating ? Just as a matter of interest bud ?

chrisski33
02-09-2013, 08:17 AM
We r going nowwhere with pat. Heffernan says he was told that "everything -the club, the stadium, the fans-is set up for success" sorry but it aint bringing any success whilst pat is in charge.....

southsider
02-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Gordon Strachan has turned the Scottish International side into a team, not the greatest but a side willing to work for the team and their team mates. Hibs on the other hand, under Fenlon, look a bunch of individuals wearing the same green strips but who played oput of position and seem clueless to what system we are ment to be playing. And don't get me started on our throw in's.....the worst in the league by a country mile.What do we do at East Mains ????

--------
02-09-2013, 06:51 PM
What is the point of sacking Pat Fenlon when his successor will be appointed and approved by the same men who appointed and approved him?

There's a need for new leadership at ER, all right, but not only at team management level. Petrie and Farmer will appoint the man to succeed PF, as they appointed HIM to succeed Calderwood, Calderwood to succeed Hughes, Hughes to succeed Mixu, Mixu to succeed Collins, Collins to succeed Mowbray ...

Team management at ER's like a Strip-the-Willow in Hell - it's all change and change again and again (and again and again and again ...) with nobody having any fun except maybe the guys in charge.

ancient hibee
02-09-2013, 07:06 PM
What is the point of sacking Pat Fenlon when his successor will be appointed and approved by the same men who appointed and approved him?

There's a need for new leadership at ER, all right, but not only at team management level. Petrie and Farmer will appoint the man to succeed PF, as they appointed HIM to succeed Calderwood, Calderwood to succeed Hughes, Hughes to succeed Mixu, Mixu to succeed Collins, Collins to succeed Mowbray ...

Team management at ER's like a Strip-the-Willow in Hell - it's all change and change again and again (and again and again and again ...) with nobody having any fun except maybe the guys in charge.

Anyone for the Gay Gordon?

rcarter1
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM

This is THE big worry for me team wise. How do you succeed without pace? We will need to move into space better, pass better, and out think teams like Aberdeen, ST J, ICT. Not holding my breath, but we do have some good experienced midfielders that may lead the way.

mcfly
02-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Fed up reading posts of us going no where under Fenlon.

I was so bored on sat watching that dross.

In days gone by the stands would all have been united in Fenlon must go chants but the hibs fans do nothing.

If you want him out do something about it and tell the board at the next home game. It's the only way

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-09-2013, 10:01 PM

:agree: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

RIP
02-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Thoughts?

Announce in advance of the next home game that wewill all be bringing newspapers and if the same dire stuff is on show, we will all start reading them from the 20th minute.

Squealing pig
02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
I hink hanlon has got every hibs manager the sack when will we realise its him and no the managers?

pacorosssco
02-09-2013, 11:10 PM
I hink hanlon has got every hibs manager the sack when will we realise its him and no the managers?

While defensively im not his biggest fan he has suffered more than most from bad management. Is only CH who can pick pass and maybe? if he'd had a solid CH beside him from 19 would have progressed more. IMO as good as Gary Caldwell was in his time at Hibs and he had two good full backs to cover lack of pace. Never been convinced but a good pro and doesnt hide. As an aside did you have a line with Garry?

--------
03-09-2013, 10:00 AM

So it's Paul Hanlon who's responsible for the decline of the team?

Alone? Or does he have accomplices?

:no way:

brydekirk
03-09-2013, 06:40 PM

He's made a couple of bad defensive mistakes, and played better than our captain, so where do you go from there ?

brydekirk
03-09-2013, 06:42 PM

I take it u had ur line with Garry Locke ?