PDA

View Full Version : Soul Destroying

matty_f
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
From the pm board:

Football played the way we played it yesterday is horrendous. It affects me way more than it should. Someone used the phrase 'soul-destroying' and that's how I feel about it as well. It's so far removed from the style of football I want to see Hibs playing that it's like watching another team.

I think I've seen one Hibs goal in the last 5-6 games I've been to. I reckon I'm lucky if we've forced the opposition keeper into more than 2 saves each in those games. It's dull, unimaginative and uninspiring.

Something has to give. Either we see an immediate improvement thanks to the new signings (and how likely is that?) or we need to change manager and get someone in to change it.

The club feels rudderless again. It needs more ambition from the top (and I don't equate ambition with money). We are stagnating and while the club is in a fantastic off-field position, it is pointless without someone with the drive and balls to want to challenge at the very top, and is prepared to drag everyone up with them.

We are too conservative as a club. Pat wants us to work hard and be difficult to beat. Of course, we all want that - they are admirable qualities. They are not inspiring though, nor are they particularly aspirational. Petrie wants top half of the table and a good cup run. Again not exactly aspirational. That is achievement in line with expectations. Where is the challenge there? Who is stretching the players to perform above their level? Who is demanding more from the players, the coaches...from anyone at the club?

We appear to be happy to do what we do. We have this fabulous stadium and great training facility. The club is on the road to success but doesn't have anyone able to start the engine and drive the car. We're sat with the handbrake off, hoping for a kind wind to blow us along, not realising we're facing into the wind.

It's soul-destroying.

snooky
01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
From the pm board:

Football played the way we played it yesterday is horrendous. It affects me way more than it should. Someone used the phrase 'soul-destroying' and that's how I feel about it as well. It's so far removed from the style of football I want to see Hibs playing that it's like watching another team.

I think I've seen one Hibs goal in the last 5-6 games I've been to. I reckon I'm lucky if we've forced the opposition keeper into more than 2 saves each in those games. It's dull, unimaginative and uninspiring.

Something has to give. Either we see an immediate improvement thanks to the new signings (and how likely is that?) or we need to change manager and get someone in to change it.

The club feels rudderless again. It needs more ambition from the top (and I don't equate ambition with money). We are stagnating and while the club is in a fantastic off-field position, it is pointless without someone with the drive and balls to want to challenge at the very top, and is prepared to drag everyone up with them.

We are too conservative as a club. Pat wants us to work hard and be difficult to beat. Of course, we all want that - they are admirable qualities. They are not inspiring though, nor are they particularly aspirational. Petrie wants top half of the table and a good cup run. Again not exactly aspirational. That is achievement in line with expectations. Where is the challenge there? Who is stretching the players to perform above their level? Who is demanding more from the players, the coaches...from anyone at the club?

We appear to be happy to do what we do. We have this fabulous stadium and great training facility. The club is on the road to success but doesn't have anyone able to start the engine and drive the car. We're sat with the handbrake off, hoping for a kind wind to blow us along, not realising we're facing into the wind.

It's soul-destroying.

To me, it feels like it's on.

.Sean.
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
It's so bad, I was genuinely asleep in my seat for half an hour in the second half yesterday.

Getting to the point where I'm failing to care about the result and contemplating not going. So disilussioned it's unreal.

EVENTUALLY
01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
From the pm board:

It's soul-destroying.

Sacking Fenlon would be a start. Just getting rid of him would give the vast majority of supporters a huge lift.Sack Fenlon.

semaj64
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
From the pm board:

It's soul-destroying.
Good post and it certainly feels like that. My concern is how many players and mangers to we need to keep going through till we get that drive, energy and direction. I was not at the game yesterday but it does not sound like we had improved. The team have a wee break to get it sorted else there will be more fans giving up.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Im fed up going through the motions. It felt like watching a training session devoid of any passion whatever. I agree Matty - something has got to give.
For whatever reason Pat just hasn't got us into gear - any gear I feel this season. I don't want to go through the cycle again but I just haven't seen a glimpse of what it could be - Pat just hasn't shown enough.

Was it he was trying too much to accommodate Leigh to the expense of others? Did the toll of changing the culture take too much out him?

I've not really been able to put my finger on it maybe Pat is too unassuming but I don't really feel like he's been a Hibs manager i just never knew what to make of him. Maybe that says more about me post CC who I think tarnished the role of Hibs manager which should never have been allowed to happen and Rod will have to carry the can on that one.

I believe the fans have been supportive and patient (yet again) for long enough - we deserve something one return. Home form has been shocking.

The Voice Of Reason
01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I have tried to get my kids interested in Hibs - this season they have seen us lose 7-0 to Malmo, lose 1-0 to Motherwell and draw 1-1 with Dundee Utd (and in that game whilst we scored, the 1st half was the worst ever).

I didn't go yesterday and I'm glad I didn't - waste of time and money.

I'm telling you now, this team will struggle to get into the top 6 (in a dreadful SPL).

Shocking state of affairs.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
From the pm board:

It's soul-destroying.

Can't disagree with any word of this. Brilliantly put whithout the need for any distaste.

The Voice Of Reason
01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Im fed up going through the motions. It felt like watching a training session devoid of any passion whatever. I agree Matty - something has got to give.
For whatever reason Pat just hasn't got us into gear - any gear I feel this season. I don't want to go through the cycle again but I just haven't seen a glimpse of what it could be - Pat just hasn't shown enough.

Was it he was trying too much to accommodate Leigh to the expense of others? Did the toll of changing the culture take too much out him?

I've not really been able to put my finger on it maybe Pat is too unassuming but I don't really feel like he's been a Hibs manager i just never knew what to make of him. Maybe that says more about me post CC who I think tarnished the role of Hibs manager which should never have been allowed to happen and Rod will have to carry the can on that one.

I believe the fans have been supportive and patient (yet again) for long enough - we deserve something one return. Home form has been shocking.

Could it be that quite simply Pat Fenlon is not a good enough football manager ?

He doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of the players and has a horrible habit of signing duds (like Kujabi, Kuqui, Vine). On top of that his tactics are questionable and his substitutions are often baffling.

The Yams want us to stick with Fenlon - that should tell us all we need to know !!!!!!!

:grr:

NAE NOOKIE
01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
From the pm board:

It's soul-destroying.

:top marks ..... Simply a perfect summing up of the current situation. I wish we had a 10/10 smilie who isnt smiling because it gave me no pleasure to agree with this post.

MADE IN LEITH
01-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Could it be that quite simply Pat Fenlon is not a good enough football manager ?

He doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of the players and has a horrible habit of signing duds (like Kujabi, Kuqui, Vine). On top of that his tactics are questionable and his substitutions are often baffling.

The Yams want us to stick with Fenlon - that should tell us all we need to know !!!!!!!

:grr:

The voice of reason has spoken....:agree:

Broken Gnome
01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Saddest part of yesterday was at half time, when I told the old man that it had been a good bit better than the Dundee Utd first 45 that he missed.

Looked at me as if I was bonkers. Such pishy standards these days.

Emerald
01-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I didn't think it could get any worse this weekend but I've just had the pleasure of trying to watch 'Vera' on ITV. Weekends should be for enjoying yourself :confused:

TAHibby
01-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I feel so pathetic while watching the side. I try and force myself to feel excited at the least little thing and kid myself that we're playing okay cause we've strung two passes together in the opposition half or god forbid, actually entered the opposition box. There's a few people I want to try and take along but there is simply no point at the moment. Ross County barely offered anything yesterday but the chances they created were a whole lot better than anything we did, I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a string of actual chances to score being created by a hibs side...

Surely it just has to get better soon? I'm not asking for 100% win record or a league title, just something to watch that makes it worthwhile to go along to Easter Road.

Speedway
01-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Imagine the carnage on here if the internet had been around when Lexo was in charge.

Whole seasons were like yesterday.

HibbyKeith
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
My son sat counting the County fans while the game was on... says it all really.

Emerald
01-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Imagine the carnage on here if the internet had been around when Lexo was in charge.

Whole seasons were like yesterday.

I disagree, whilst at the time it was boring stuff at least we created chances and had players that were direct and tried to attack. He also knew wtf he was doing.....or has the mists of time had its effect? Naw, I think we were much better under Lexo.

The_Horde
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Great constructive post and I agree fully. No abuse of individuals just a well thought out analysis of how things are.

IberianHibernian
01-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Whole seasons were like yesterday.Exactly and he was given about 10 years or was it 12 ? At a time when Scottish football still produced some good players not like now where even Hibs in a bad spell wouldn`t want to sign many if any of Scotland Under 21 team even on free transfers .

Emerald
01-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Exactly and he was given about 10 years or was it 12 ? At a time when Scottish football still produced some good players not like now where even Hibs in a bad spell wouldn`t want to sign many if any of Scotland Under 21 team even on free transfers .

Like John Collins perhaps :dunno:

The Voice Of Reason
01-09-2013, 10:15 PM
I disagree, whilst at the time it was boring stuff at least we created chances and had players that were direct and tried to attack. He also knew wtf he was doing.....or has the mists of time had its effect? Naw, I think we were much better under Lexo.

I agree mate :agree:

Ryan91
01-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Fenlon is far too conservative and his substitutions are often extremely poor, case in point: putting on Caldwell for Vine, I think Caldwell has a decent future but with Heffernan just signed and on the bench, I honestly feel that Heffernan would have been the better choice at that point.

The past two home games I've found myself after the match quoting two well known mottos/phrases "Fortune favours the Brave" and "Who Dares Wins"- Fenlon has obviously never heard either of them in his life given his tactics, someone ought to teach him about it. On paper we have a good squad that is capable of Top 4, but all too often the capability of the squad is wasted because of negative and defensive tactics, looking to avoid defeat rather than achieve victory.

I gave Fenlon my full support last season and backed him after Malmo, but it would appear that he is now no longer deserving of my support, I don't want him at the club any longer but sacking him right now would be a poor decision, given that his contract expires at the end of the season, I think we're in for a long, tough season unless our tactical outlook changes for the better.

Start looking now for potential managers, get ahead of the game because when this season is done we will be needing a new manager.

marleyhib
01-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Apathy, that's all I see at ER - from the top to the bottom to the stands.

Griffiths saved Fenlon, Fenlon has to go, Petrie shouldn't be involved picking the new manager. Change has to start at the top, just been not good enough for too long now.

Thing is in this SPL with someone decent in charge we are in a position to really do things, that makes it all the more frustrating.

Shields Hibee
01-09-2013, 11:44 PM
The initial post sums up how most feel about the club at present. A lot of people are now going out of habit more than anything else, what would be doing if we weren't at ER?

Getting rid of Fenlon would be a start, that would give fans a lift as its no better watching Hibs now than it was under CC.

One of my mates told me I must be either mad or seriously dedicated to spend nearly 5 hours round trip to watch a side that has scored only 1 goal at home all season and looks as if getting forward is a criminal offence. :rolleyes:

gegs70
02-09-2013, 03:26 AM
From the pm board:

It's soul-destroying.

Totally agree!!

Its boring football...I watched the marseille game on bt sport last night and they moved forward withpace....good movement on and off the ball. We look flat footed and static. From the season start we were ill prepared, the bulk of the players should be in place for pre-season whereas we, with a little fine tuning after.....

Its a mess...I would not pay £20 to watch this nonsense nor will I be wasting my time during another transitional season...hibs are frustrating!!!

Baader
02-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Very surprised Fenlon is still there. He has been backed by the board and has assembled a decent squad in my opinion that should be challenging for second spot. But they won't under him. He really has no excuses not to be doing much better.