PDA

View Full Version : Taiwo

Tollhouse Hibee
01-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Right then. Crash helmet on, but I just can't see why this boy gets a game. He has no pace, can put in a tackle but often stands off his man, and the only passes are either 5 yard square or back to the CH.

I think he is worth a squad place but should have been hooked for Robertson or anyone who would try to take us forward.

Two sitting centre mids ain't gonna work, and if Robertson was not fit craig could have played CM with sammy coming on wide.

CallumLaidlaw
01-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Like Taiwo a lot. Yesterday wasn't his best game, but he works hard, wins a lot of tackles and his passing is normally pretty good.

hibsbollah
01-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Nope, he's proved hes a good player by his performances last season. Its one of the most tiresome hibs.net habits to be unable to tell the difference between a temporary dip in form and being shi'ite.

Rather, the problem we have is the balance in the midfield. A group of tidy, hardworking defensive minded scrappers and noone with any pace, noone with the skill to beat a man (Handling shows glimpses) and noone able to play wide.

patlowe
01-09-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't mind Taiwo, he gives 100% and is a good guy to have scurrying around in the bigger games, ie Celtic and Hearts when we need guys harrying and snapping into tackles. However, in games where we need someone to get on the ball and make things happen, like yesterday, you have to say he's pretty limited. You could use that description for just about all of our central midfield players though and that's a problem.

I think Taiwo benefitted from having Claros around last season - he's such a big miss.

hibee_girl
01-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Like Taiwo a lot. Yesterday wasn't his best game, but he works hard, wins a lot of tackles and his passing is normally pretty good.

:agree:

He is a great player, think he's missing having Claros playing beside him this season though.

lucky
01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Runs about a lot and tackles but another who contributes nothing going forward. He won't be a regular this season. Which sums up how good a player he is

HibeeEmma
01-09-2013, 07:56 AM

I agree with this. Yesterday was the worst I've seen him play but normally I feel as though he's a breath of fresh air in the game.

Heisenberg
01-09-2013, 07:59 AM
I've no idea why he played OTJ and Taiwo again. He only did that last week because he had to, this week we had a more forward thinking midfielder fit but he sticks him on the bench! No wonder we were so slow at going forward.

soproni1
01-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Runs about a lot and tackles but another who contributes nothing going forward. He won't be a regular this season. Which sums up how good a player he is

100% agree - dont think he has ever created anything resembling a chance since he signed. not enough quality to deserve a place in our team!

Gatecrasher
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
I agree with this. Yesterday was the worst I've seen him play but normally I feel as though he's a breath of fresh air in the game.
Even with that he was still one of the better players :greengrin

Leishy1995
01-09-2013, 08:42 AM
100% agree - dont think he has ever created anything resembling a chance since he signed. not enough quality to deserve a place in our team!

He scored from a burst into the box?

lugz
I've no idea why he played OTJ and Taiwo again. He only did that last week because he had to, this week we had a more forward thinking midfielder fit but he sticks him on the bench! No wonder we were so slow at going forward.

Playing not to get beat at home to the mighty Ross County?

NorthNorfolkHFC
I'm sick of the love in for this guy, he's murder. I posted on a previous thread and I think he hides behind the midfield enforcer role. Wy do we need somebody that scurries about breaking up play? If everyone does their job we don't need to waste a jersey on this.

Why should defensive midfielders be exempt from having to look for a forward pass, run towards the goal or god forbid even score one?

Taiwo has no decent attributes, can't run, can't shoot (see warm up routine: couldn't hit the target) and can't pass (varying distances, can only find either of his CH's). The best defensive midfielders in the world like Carrick, Busquets or Khediera still know how to go forward, pass and score goals (and do it often), they are just employed to break up play. We have Tom Taiwo who can't attempt anything of merit as he isn't a very good footballer and hides behind the 'midfield enforcer' title.

There may be an argument that he 'breaks up play', however I reckon that most players could do that if they were fit enough, it hardly involves a great deal of skill.

Boyle89

Apart from the goal that was offside last week, which was by far and away the best move we have played in months! Also scored a goal last season which was more than Claros and Thomson scored. He almost scored in the derby aswell so what you've said doesn't really stand up.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
:faf:

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Apart from the goal that was offside last week, which was by far and away the best move we have played in months! Also scored a goal last season which was more than Claros and Thomson scored. He almost scored in the derby aswell so what you've said doesn't really stand up.

Really? Your citing an offside goal as his redeeming attributes. What a sad state of affairs we are in.

I'd love somebody to explain to me what he does other than 'break up play' or 'scurry around putting tackles in'.

Lewis Stevenson is far better at that job, better tackler and he sometimes goes forward.

green viper
01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
if taiwo passed the ball as well as he passes the buck he would be world class

B.H.F.C
01-09-2013, 09:22 AM
I think there a certain games to play Taiwo in. If you are playing the likes of Celtic where you need people to press and win the ball back then fair enough. But at home when you need to break teams down he doesn't give enough. Take yesterday when he was bursting towards the box and he passed the ball square instead of commuting anyone.

I've always liked him but I'm starting to wonder if he gives enough. I think people stating that he almost scored against Hearts, or he played a pass to Jones to set up an offside goal sums things up. We've got to many players who 'nearly' do something. Robertson was our best midfielder until injured this season. Yet he sat on the bench for 90 minutes yesterday to allow two defensive minded midfielders who pass it square all day to stay on. Baffling.

500miles
01-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Taiwo won lots of the ball yesterday, and got into good positions. His undoing is his unwillingness to pull the trigger, but that's symptomatic of the lack of confidence we have as a team yesterday.

Yesterday, Robertson should have been partnered with on of Taiwo or OTJ to give us better balance, but we stuck with a winning team. Nothing to do with going out to play for a draw, or some utter drivel that folk are coming out with.

EVENTUALLY
01-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Spot on.

But he's only playing to the instructions of the guy who scouted, signed and plays him. That's what gets me. This player and OTJ have been brought to Easter Road to play in such a way. If Fenlon was any kind of coach he would look around East Mains and coach, encourage, pick and stick by David Gold or Sam Stanton for at least six straight starts. He would get much much more from these young men and the fans would greatly enjoy their style of football. Gold is a Fenlon type of midfielder but he looks to play the ball quickly and FORWARD and Stanton has more natural ability, guile and skill than most of his team mates.

Taiwo and OTJ featuring together in a hibs side under Fenlon will produce zero enterprize and have a negative effect on any prospect of progressive attacking football.

DH1875
01-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Id have him in the team over OTJ every day of the week.

Bronson
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I like Taiwo, tidy wee player and certainly a useful one to have in the squad. A bit shot-shy but other than that I have no huge issues with his game. He's certainly not a player I'd be having a gripe about right now with the other huddies getting a game. He's head and shoulders above the likes of OTJ.

Boyle89
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Really? Your citing an offside goal as his redeeming attributes. What a sad state of affairs we are in.

I'd love somebody to explain to me what he does other than 'break up play' or 'scurry around putting tackles in'.

Lewis Stevenson is far better at that job, better tackler and he sometimes goes forward.
I simply gave an example that I thought was relevant. Did you not see the move last weekend? It was a lovely flowing move that taiwo was a part of which proved he can play decent attacking football and can create chances if given the chance. Taiwo was good last season and plays his role perfectly, maybe if he was given a different role then he would change his style of play. Also seem to remember him being involved in griffiths goal v utd at ER last season which was yet another lovely flowing move.

Saorsa
01-09-2013, 10:33 AM
:faf:that's about the only reply this thread is worth :agree:

hibsbollah
01-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Thats totally unfair. And the performances of our CMs are largely irrelevant to our biggest problem.

Think about it. We should have TWO places in central midfield. But we have FIVE players primarily recognised as CMs fighting for those places; Tudur Jones, Taiwo, KT, Robertson and Liam Craig, and thats not including Danny Handling, Stanton or Lewis who can play there too. Thats 8. Meanwhile our natural wide men? Paul Cairney who hasnt been fit for about 7 years, a new welcome french signing and Harris whos missing now for half the season.

Our unbalanced midfield is nothing short of ridiculous, and evidence of total incompetence which predates Fenlon. Its like we dont want width :dunno:

GREEN WARLORD
01-09-2013, 11:31 AM
If we are going to win games then we need to play one holding midfielder, so that we can create more further up the pitch and put some pressure on the opposition. Judging by the performances yesterday, for me i'd play Taiwo with OTJ dropping to the bench. OTJ was awful yesterday. If Taiwo is apparently slow, then what is OTJ? Does his gearbox only have reverse?

hibsbollah
01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
If we are going to win games then we need to play one holding midfielder, ?

Or two, as long as the three guys in front of him are charged with piling forward at every opportunity in a 4231.
Thomson and Robertson behind, with Handling, the French dude and Liam Craig supporting Heffernan/Collins at least makes sense as a balance.

SaulGoodman
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
GFITW we are.

No doubt he'll be the next player subject to abuse after two minutes,

neil7908
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM

If Leigh Griffiths could defend as well as he attacks he'd be world class. If Ben Williams scored goals as well as he saved them he'd be world class.

Players have certain things they are good at, some things they are not so good at. Taiwo is a defensive midfielder, it's not his fault that we have zero creativity in the side.

I think its incredibly harsh to criticise Taiwo (or even OTJ for that matter) for not being a complete player. Up to the manager to get the balance right in his squad and on the park.

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
If Leigh Griffiths could defend as well as he attacks he'd be world class. If Ben Williams scored goals as well as he saved them he'd be world class.

Players have certain things they are good at, some things they are not so good at. Taiwo is a defensive midfielder, it's not his fault that we have zero creativity in the side.

I think its incredibly harsh to criticise Taiwo (or even OTJ for that matter) for not being a complete player. Up to the manager to get the balance right in his squad and on the park.

What does a defensive midfielder do then?

Leigh does defend from the front hence why he is getting where he is. He chases and pressures defenders into passing.

Jonnyboy
01-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Careful now, you'll have the 'Stevenson offers nothing going forward brigade' after your blood :wink:

JimBHibees
01-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Yams all over this thread.

Billy Whizz
01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Yams all over this thread.

They've got to get used to posting here, might not have a team to follow soon

Bishop Hibee
01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Taiwo, Tudor Jones and Thomson all play the same position. From what I've seen Taiwo is the best of the 3. He was played in front of Jones yesterday from what I could make out which I couldn't fathom.

ballengeich
01-09-2013, 07:56 PM
I've never got the admiration of Taiwo as a midfielder. He's ok at the defensive side of the work but contributes little going forward, as he usually passes the ball sideways then moves backwards to get a return. I'm one of those who think that we should only have one defensive central midfielder, and for me there's no doubt it should be Thomson who can also pass forward. Jones on Inverness form would be an adequate backup.

However, I've had an idea for Taiwo. Does anyone else think he could be worth trying at right back? He's reasonably quick and can tackle so I think he might be able to make use of his positive attributes in that position. Lewis is doing ok, but someone left-footed can't be expected to be more than a stopgap there.

TheFamous1875
01-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Our midfield 3 (I think it has to be 3, considering we have so many) should be Craig, Thomson and Robertson. There's a lot of variation there, I think it could work really well. Two goal scorers, and arguably our best player on his game holding it all together. Taiwo and TJ will get their chances through injury, but they'll have to prove they're good enough for the starting XI, likewise for these three.

Maybe a 3-5-2 is the best formation for us? Harris at RM, McGivern at LM, the aforementioned three in the middle, and Heffernan and Collins up top. At the back, Hanlon, Nelson and Forster. I think this is definitely our best XI on paper. Thomson tires, get Taiwo on, Craig or Robertson tire, get Cairney or Stanton on, the top two tire, get Handling or Caldwell or Vine (if he can be bothered) on. Guys like Stevenson will always be in and around due to injuries/form.

This is my conclusion. Might make my own thread on it haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IberianHibernian
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Wasn`t at his best against Ross County but is a very good player to have at this level . I agree that he was very good with Claros but would still pick him before KT and OTJ ( early days to have opinión on him ) .Seems to have a good attitude , making his mark whether from 1st minute or if as a sub for 5 minutes . Would like to see him try a few shots at goal ( look at Deegan goal in cup last year or OTJ`s against Hearts last year to show how these seemingly defensive midfielders can score ) . Suspect he`ll be one of very few players in present squad who`ll go to a bigger club tan us when he leaves . Agree about trying him at right back - maybe it`s already happened in bounce games ?

GREEN WARLORD
03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Or two, as long as the three guys in front of him are charged with piling forward at every opportunity in a 4231.
Thomson and Robertson behind, with Handling, the French dude and Liam Craig supporting Heffernan/Collins at least makes sense as a balance.

No thanks. We don't have the quality in our squad that can charge forwards and back from midfield. I'd rather we made it look at least, that we are going to have a go and not invite team onto us. Getting the balance right is one thing, barricading the back door is another. Opinions eh!

SMAXXA
03-09-2013, 09:15 AM
:rolleyes: Its Tom's turn this week, who will it be next week that some people want to slaughter, some people just cant wait to have a go #embarrassing :confused:

frazeHFC
03-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Like Taiwo a lot. Think our midfielders are all good players but sadly have similar roles within the team, need wide players.

Brightside
03-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Taiwo is a decent player who does all thats is asked of him. As is OTJ. They are told to stay in front of the defence and thats what they do. If that isnt Fenlons plan then I'd like to know why he doesnt get of his seat and tell them they are doing something wrong. I honestly dont think they did anything wrong at the weekend. They did exactly what was asked of them.

Stevie Reid
03-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Taiwo had one of his poorest games for us at the weekend, and there were a couple of occasions where he should have continued advancing with the ball and/or shot, but he is a good player and I'm happy to have him at ER.

As others have pointed out, the problem with our midfield is the imbalance.

Fergus52
03-09-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm sick of the love in for this guy, he's murder. I posted on a previous thread and I think he hides behind the midfield enforcer role. Wy do we need somebody that scurries about breaking up play? If everyone does their job we don't need to waste a jersey on this.

Why should defensive midfielders be exempt from having to look for a forward pass, run towards the goal or god forbid even score one?

Taiwo has no decent attributes, can't run, can't shoot (see warm up routine: couldn't hit the target) and can't pass (varying distances, can only find either of his CH's). The best defensive midfielders in the world like Carrick, Busquets or Khediera still know how to go forward, pass and score goals (and do it often), they are just employed to break up play. We have Tom Taiwo who can't attempt anything of merit as he isn't a very good footballer and hides behind the 'midfield enforcer' title.

There may be an argument that he 'breaks up play', however I reckon that most players could do that if they were fit enough, it hardly involves a great deal of skill.

Did you watch us at all during the latter part of last season?

He was one of our top performers every week and him and claros were excellent together.

Cant remember too many of our CMs of recent years to completely boss the midfield at tyncastle in the way that he did.

GREEN WARLORD
03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
:rolleyes: Its Tom's turn this week, who will it be next week that some people want to slaughter, some people just cant wait to have a go #embarrassing :confused:

Who's having a pop at Tom, he's probably the best player we have for that position. It's the set-up and tactics i have a problem with.

SMAXXA
03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Who's having a pop at Tom, he's probably the best player we have for that position. It's the set-up and tactics i have a problem with.

Read the thread

GREEN WARLORD
03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Read the thread

Aye but if you took into account what every fandan on here wrote about players, you'd be slashing you wrists within a week.

SMAXXA
03-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Aye but if you took into account what every fandan on here wrote about players, you'd be slashing you wrists within a week.

:greengrin :aok:

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
:rolleyes: Its Tom's turn this week, who will it be next week that some people want to slaughter, some people just cant wait to have a go #embarrassing :confused:Makes a change from it being Hanlon's turn. :rolleyes:

:kettle:

As for this thread, what rot, Taiwo is a good player who had a poor game. We have too many similar players but he is one I'd be looking tae keep.

SMAXXA
03-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Makes a change from it being Hanlon's turn. :rolleyes:

:kettle:

As for this thread, what rot, Taiwo is a good player who had a poor game. We have too many similar players but he is one I'd be looking tae keep.

Im consistent though, however how many have you seen this season? :rolleyes:

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Im consistent though, however how many have you seen this season? :rolleyes:So it's ok tae have a go at him because you do it consistently? :rolleyes:

heard it all now :hilarious

You come on here and have a go at other people for having a go at individual players and you consistently do it yersel, hypocrisy rules, OK! :aok:

SMAXXA
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
So it's ok tae have a go at him because you do it consistently? :hilarious

:rolleyes:

You come on here and have a go at other people for having a go at individual players and you consistently do it yersel, hypocrisy rules, OK! :aok:

Just like some others and their constant 'opinions' on Petrie and Pat :wink:

The_Horde
03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
59% possession Says to me both Taiwo and Jones had good games on Saturday? We need attacking options but these guys, just like KT and Robertson are not the issue.

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Just like some others and their constant 'opinions' on Petrie and Pat :wink:but the I never came on and said
some people just cant wait to have a go#embarrassing :confused:

SMAXXA
03-09-2013, 01:36 PM
but the I never came on and said

I think if you look through my posts the % I criticise our players would be very small, some others appear that's all they do....this is my point so I stand by what I said.

Saorsa
03-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I think if you look through my posts the % I criticise our players would be very small, some others appear that's all they do....this is my point so I stand by what I said.Apart from one player (who you admitted tae being consistent about :wink: ) so I stand by mine. :kettle:

:aok:

SMAXXA
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Apart from one player (who you admitted tae being consistent about :wink: ) so I stand by mine. :kettle:

:aok:

ok I wont criticise anymore incase you pull out the tea set again

Mon the Petrie :wink:

J-C
03-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Taiwo is a bit like Stevenson, he's never going to be really good but he does the simple things very well and in a squad these guys are invaluable, they very rarely make mistakes and can always be relied upon to put a good shift in.