PDA

View Full Version : Owain Tudur Jones

Bronson
31-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Consistently the worst player on the park for us when he plays, even more so than Vine for me. Touch is a tackle every time and he seems incapable of doing anything productive. I was under the impression he'd be a tough-tackling, no-nonsense holding midfielder who'd win everything in the air and provide a real threat at set-pieces. None of this has proven to be the case however. Is Fenlon utilizing him wrong or is he just murder? He was one of ICT's best players last year so he must have something about him. Something I have yet to see. He literally brings nothing positive to the team for me, would have Taiwo, Robertson, Thomson, Craig and even the likes of Horribine over him right now at centre mid.

Why am I finding myself saying this about more and more players we sign from rival SPFL teams?:grr:

JimBHibees
31-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Consistently the worst player on the park for us when he plays, even more so than Vine for me. Touch is a tackle every time and he seems incapable of doing anything productive. I was under the impression he'd be a tough-tackling, no-nonsense holding midfielder who'd win everything in the air and provide a real threat at set-pieces. None of this has proven to be the case however. Is Fenlon utilizing him wrong or is he just murder? He was one of ICT's best players last year so he must have something about him. Something I have yet to see. He literally brings nothing positive to the team for me, would have Taiwo, Robertson, Thomson, Craig and even the likes of Horribine over him right now at centre mid.

Why am I finding myself saying this about more and more players we sign from rival SPFL teams?:grr:

Thought he played well today. Moved the ball well and won it back a good few times in the game. Looked better than his previous games IMO, probably just needed a few games.

To compare him unfavourably to Vine is a joke IMO.

greenlex
31-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Thought he played well today. Moved the ball well and won it back a good few times in the game. Looked better than his previous games IMO, probably just needed a few games.

This

hfc rd
31-08-2013, 09:02 PM
A couple of good passes and interceptions. However he is slow and clumsy at times. But no worser than Vine. That guy just makes me pull my hair my out!

davhibby
31-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Thought he played well last week and wasn't as good today but he wasn't as bad as some have made out

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Though OTJ was decent when he was on the ball.

Bronson
31-08-2013, 09:08 PM

Vine has showed more of what he is capable of than Jones so far, albeit these glimpses are few and far between. Thought Jones was the worst player on the park and this isn't the first time I've found myself saying it, very slow with everything and genuinely doesn't look like a footballer a lot of the time IMO.

B.H.F.C
31-08-2013, 09:12 PM
The problem with OTJ is that if you play him with Taiwo they do the same thing. Why Robertson wasn't brought on today, our best midfielder before his injury IMO, was baffling. Then again why would Pat want a forward thinking midfielder when he can stick two boys in to play square passes.

Ricky Bobby
31-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I thought he did ok today, but what i can't understand is why Pat is playing two holding midfielders in Jones and Taiwo, far too negative on a day where a positive approach would surely have won the game.
This is re-occuring theme, and is disappointing because the quality of all of the teams we have faced so far is poor.

ronaldo7
31-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Thought he played well last week and wasn't as good today but he wasn't as bad as some have made out

This.

Maybe the OP only sees home matches:dunno:

The Harp Awakes
Needs to get more involved in games but when on the ball today he didn't do much wrong. Played his roll effectively and you can't blame him for that. Whether he and Taiwo should both be playing at home to Ross County is another question.

LongshanksED
so maybe just a bad day at the office for our two DMs.

And here is part of the problem. We (or any team imo) shouldn't be playing with 2 DMs. Makes it difficult to get the ball forward, especially through the middle

Bronson
31-08-2013, 09:22 PM
The problem with OTJ is that if you play him with Taiwo they do the same thing. Why Robertson wasn't brought on today, our best midfielder before his injury IMO, was baffling. Then again why would Pat want a forward thinking midfielder when he can stick two boys in to play square passes.

I agree with this, Robertson should have started, playing 2 out and out holding midfielders from the start just doesn't make sense to me.

Onceinawhile
31-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Has he touched the ball 10 times for us yet? Utter pony.

Taiwo, claros, and Thomson are all 2-3 times the player he is.

Ricky Bobby
31-08-2013, 10:49 PM

Taiwo was no better than Jones today. The players are struggling with the negative tactics.
The only time this season that the midfield has performed was in the second half against United once Thomson had been sent off. Too many similar players in the centre of the park is not helping.

Ozyhibby
01-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Thought OTJ had a decent game. In fact I thought all of our played well individually, won most of their personal battles etc. It's the system we are playing that's not working.

hibbymick
01-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Thought OTJ had a decent game. In fact I thought all of our played well individually, won most of their personal battles etc. It's the system we are playing that's not working.

he was piss poor imo.

ekhibee
01-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Unlike most of the people on this thread (so far) I agree with the opening post. I've now seen Jones in 4 games and he's been pish in all of them. For somebody that's 6ft 4 I don't think I've seen him win a header yet, and his distribution is awful. He's not got any pace, he hardly tackles at all and he's not had a shot at goal in any of the games I've seen him in. Saw him score a great goal against Hearts on YouTube but he's looked nothing like the player he was with ICT. If there's more to come, and I sincerely hope there is, I'll retract my comments, but at the moment he's one of the players you would say falls into the category "if he was that good, why did they let him go?"

Brooster
01-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Its a sad day when guys like otj and vine are in the Hibs starting line up. Otj hides from the ball and has a heart the size of a pea, he would have a cheek having a shower after yesterday's performance in fact the kit man couldve just put his kit straight back in the hamper. The central midfield of otj and tawio was slow, static and uncreative. The game was crying out for Robertson and Craig in central midfield. The brand of football Fenlon is serving up is the worst ive witnessed in 35 years of attending Easter Road.

lucky
01-09-2013, 07:46 AM
OTJ bossed games for ICT last season but looks lost at Hibs. It can't be all the new signings are poor players suddenly, it has to be down to the manager

clerriehibs
01-09-2013, 07:51 AM

Who does Claros play for again? Not us.

EVENTUALLY
01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
OTJ bossed games for ICT last season but looks lost at Hibs. It can't be all the new signings are poor players suddenly, it has to be down to the manager

Agreed. Sack Fenlon.

Bronson
01-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Unlike most of the people on this thread (so far) I agree with the opening post. I've now seen Jones in 4 games and he's been pish in all of them. For somebody that's 6ft 4 I don't think I've seen him win a header yet, and his distribution is awful. He's not got any pace, he hardly tackles at all and he's not had a shot at goal in any of the games I've seen him in. Saw him score a great goal against Hearts on YouTube but he's looked nothing like the player he was with ICT. If there's more to come, and I sincerely hope there is, I'll retract my comments, but at the moment he's one of the players you would say falls into the category "if he was that good, why did they let him go?"

Spot on.

snooky
01-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I actually made a point of focusing my attention on OTJ for some time during the Motherwell game and made the following observations.
He marked nobody, he didn't sprint or even break sweat, he let balls roll past him, he never tracked an opponent's run and any time he did get the ball he passed it immediately to the nearest team mate.
Yesterday, for the first 10min he continued in the same vein however, for about twenty minutes thereafter he moved forward a bit and got involved in the game and actually did okay. Eventually this fizzled out and as far as I can remember he was all but anonymous in the second half.
As stated by others previously, the players are not playing to their full potential.
The solution has already been well discussed.

Iain G
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I actually made a point of focusing my attention on OTJ for some time during the Motherwell game and made the following observations.
He marked nobody, he didn't sprint or even break sweat, he let balls roll past him, he never tracked an opponent's run and any time he did get the ball he passed it immediately to the nearest team mate.
Yesterday, for the first 10min he continued in the same vein however, for about twenty minutes thereafter he moved forward a bit and got involved in the game and actually did okay. Eventually this fizzled out and as far as I can remember he was all but anonymous in the second half.
As stated by others previously, the players are not playing to their full potential.
The solution has already been well discussed.

So what were his previous employers doing that we aint?!

PeterboroHibee
01-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I thought OTJ was a good signing and I was excited to see him in a Hibs shirt, but I dont think weve seen anywhere near the level of performance he was putting in at Inverness. I cant think what the reason would be, and whilst theres no excuse for not doing the basics (picking up your man, tackling, winning headers etc), it suggests more problems with the tactics/management?

Bostonhibby
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
This guy is a good player, has bossed a couple of games against us at ER that I have seen so for me he is agood signing, its all about how long new signings take until the curse of Easter Rd wears off and / or they get played to their strengths.

J-C
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM

So why then did Butcher not make sure he stayed at ICT?

PeterboroHibee
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
So why then did Butcher not make sure he stayed at ICT?

Im sure Butcher wanted him to stay no? I can only assume we offered more money than they could!

Heisenberg
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
ICT wanted to keep him. Hibs are a bigger club who would've offered more money. His job at ICT was so simple, his small connecting passes worked well because he had good attacking players in front of him and forward thinking midfielders at either side.At Hibs all he does is pass it side to side, sometimes forward, but when he does he just gets it back and it all starts again which shows that he's actually quite limited when asked to properly go and influence the match.

Andy74
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Needs to get more involved in games but when on the ball today he didn't do much wrong. Played his roll effectively and you can't blame him for that. Whether he and Taiwo should both be playing at home to Ross County is another question.

We didn't have any other fit central midfield players available though. He's a decent player but makes no real odds until these guys can give someone the ball that can use it a bit more creatively.

JimBHibees
01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Vine has showed more of what he is capable of than Jones so far, albeit these glimpses are few and far between. Thought Jones was the worst player on the park and this isn't the first time I've found myself saying it, very slow with everything and genuinely doesn't look like a footballer a lot of the time IMO.

He played well and was nowhere near the worst player on the park.

Bronson
01-09-2013, 08:58 PM
He played well and was nowhere near the worst player on the park.

Were we at the same game? Think we'll have to agree to disagree because he was pretty shocking from where I was sitting. Worries me that performances of that level are not only accepted by hibs fans but classed as good, shows how much our standards have dropped.

I liked him an ICT, and I really thought he'd be a cracking signing, but he's shown absolutely nothing positive so far. I hope he, and you, prove me wrong, but I can't see it.