PDA

View Full Version : Team vs St Johnstone?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-08-2013, 05:42 PM
We have St Johnstone after the International break, which will be a hard game, especially away from home. What should be the team then? Will Clancy or McPake be back? KT will be back from suspension and hopefully Zoubir's International clearnance comes through!

We MUST improve and play better than we did today or we will get beat convincingly IMO.

If fit and available I'll go for:

Williams

Clancy*
McPake*
Hanlon
McGivern

Handling
Thomson
Craig
Zoubir*

Heffernan
Collins

GreenArmyyy!
31-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Any particular reason for dropping Nelson? I think he's done very well so far.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Any particular reason for dropping Nelson? I think he's done very well so far.

Too slow, bad passing and a little bit dodgy, IMO though.

NorthNorfolkHFC
31-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't think Nelson is our problem. Our defence is solid, unfortunately teams see Lewis as our weak link and fire balls on him all day.

Williams.

Clancy. Nelson Hanlon. McGivern

Handling Robertson Craig. Zoubir

Heffernan. Collins

Subs. Thomson can replace Robertson.

Handling can replace Collins

Stanton can replace Craig late on.

Vine should think himself lucky to be on the bench, as should Jones. Taiwo, as today proved offers absolutely nothing. So reluctant to go forward he had Paddy and Jimmy shouting at him to b more direct all game. Begs th question of why they pick him.

Alfred E Newman
31-08-2013, 06:32 PM
The thought of the next game fills me with apathy.

Zazu62
31-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Our problem is our manager . We will probably go to Perth and play 3 defensive midfielders and bore everyone to death

neil7908
31-08-2013, 07:02 PM
We have St Johnstone after the International break, which will be a hard game, especially away from home. What should be the team then? Will Clancy or McPake be back? KT will be back from suspension and hopefully Zoubir's International clearnance comes through!

We MUST improve and play better than we did today or we will get beat convincingly IMO.

If fit and available I'll go for:

Williams

Clancy*
McPake*
Hanlon
McGivern

Thomson

Robertson
Craig
Zoubir*

Heffernan
Collins

This would be my team as well. If McPake isn't fit I would have Forster in ahead of Nelson. I think he's been really hard done by with how little he's featured this season and although Nelson has looked ok, his passing is awful. Plus I always like to see us give younger players a chance wherever possible.

500miles
31-08-2013, 07:16 PM
....................Williams
..Stevenson.Nelson.Hanlon.McGivern
...........Taiwo......Robertson
.Zoubir.........................Craig
...............Heffernan
.....................Collins

Jonnyboy
31-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Can't believe how many are picking Clancy to start. He's been out for a zillion games, has not kicked a ball in anger and has forgotten the names of all his team mates :wink:

NorthNorfolkHFC
31-08-2013, 10:08 PM
....................Williams
..Stevenson.Nelson.Hanlon.McGivern
...........Taiwo......Robertson
.Zoubir.........................Craig
...............Heffernan
.....................Collins

Taiwo? I'm sick of the love in for this guy, he's murder.

Why should defensive midfielders be exempt from having to look for a forward pass, run towards the goal or god forbid even score one?

Taiwo has no decent attributes, can't run, can't shoot (see warm up routine: couldn't hit the target) and can't pass (varying distances, can only find either of his CH's). The best defensive midfielders in the world like Carrick, Busquets or Khediera still know how to go forward, pass and score goals (and do it often), they are just employed to break up play. We have Tom Taiwo who can't attempt anything of merit as he isn't a very good footballer and hides behind the 'midfield enforcer' title.

There may be an argument that he 'breaks up play', however I reckon that most players could do that if they were fit enough, it hardly involves a great deal of skill.

...WentToMowAnSPL
31-08-2013, 10:38 PM

Why should defensive midfielders be exempt from having to look for a forward pass, run towards the goal or god forbid even score one?

Taiwo has no decent attributes, can't run, can't shoot (see warm up routine: couldn't hit the target) and can't pass (varying distances, can only find either of his CH's). The best defensive midfielders in the world like Carrick, Busquets or Khediera still know how to go forward, pass and score goals (and do it often), they are just employed to break up play. We have Tom Taiwo who can't attempt anything of merit as he isn't a very good footballer and hides behind the 'midfield enforcer' title.

There may be an argument that he 'breaks up play', however I reckon that most players could do that if they were fit enough, it hardly involves a great deal of skill.

I thought Taiwo played well second half and passed the ball forward ?

GreenOnions
31-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I don't think Nelson is our problem. Our defence is solid, unfortunately teams see Lewis as our weak link and fire balls on him all day.

Williams.

Heffernan. Collins

Vine should think himself lucky to be on the bench, as should Jones. Taiwo, as today proved offers absolutely nothing. So reluctant to go forward he had Paddy and Jimmy shouting at him to b more direct all game. Begs th question of why they pick him.

This is one of those posts where I don't know if I can even find one thing to agree with :-/

The main thing tho is that with everyone saying that we lack quality I really don't know how anyone can keep a straight face while at the same time suggesting a Hibs starting 11 without Kevin Thomson :bitchy:

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
This is one of those posts where I don't know if I can even find one thing to agree with :-/

The main thing tho is that with everyone saying that we lack quality I really don't know how anyone can keep a straight face while at the same time suggesting a Hibs starting 11 without Kevin Thomson :bitchy:

One thing to agree with? That's going to be some starting 11. Start with your defence?

I just think our team needs goals and a bit of forward momentum. Robertson and Craig can both score and want to go forward.

Heisenberg
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Williams

Clancy/Stevenson
Nelson
Hanlon
Mcgivern

Thomson
Robertson
Craig

Handling

Collins
Heffernan

Hibby Kay-Yay
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Williams

Stevenson
Nelson
Hanlon
McGivern

Robertson
Thomson
Craig
Zoubir

Collins
Heffernan

One Day
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
I thought Taiwo played well second half and passed the ball forward ?

So did I

GreenOnions
01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
One thing to agree with? That's going to be some starting 11. Start with your defence?

I just think our team needs goals and a bit of forward momentum. Robertson and Craig can both score and want to go forward.

Ok - maybe there are one of two things to agree with :wink: I'd be thinking something like this:

...................................Williams

Clancy/Stevenson..Forster/McPake..Hanlon..McGivern

..................................Thomson

....Zoubir...,,...............Robertson........... ........Craig

..........................Heffernan....Collins

If we're playing in a game where we need an extra man in midfield then Taiwo can step in for one of the strikers.

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Ok - maybe there are one of two things to agree with :wink: I'd be thinking something like this:

...................................Williams

Clancy/Stevenson..Forster/McPake..Hanlon..McGivern

..................................Thomson

....Zoubir...,,...............Robertson........... ........Craig

..........................Heffernan....Collins

If we're playing in a game where we need an extra man in midfield then Taiwo can step in for one of the strikers.

The only difference is handling for Thomson and Nelson for McPake.

Not a bad team but I'm struggling to see what Nelson has done wrong to merit being dropped?

On the same token Handling has been about our best attacking threat over the last few games, we need attacking players.

Up The Bracket
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
No idea why anyone's dropping Stevenson, he's not put a foot wrong the last 3 games!

Williams

Stevenson
Nelson
Hanlon
McGivern

Handling
Thomson
Robertson
Craig

Collins
Vine

Subs

Murdoch
Clancy
Taiwo
OTJ
Handling
Stanton
Heffernan

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Can't believe how many are picking Clancy to start. He's been out for a zillion games, has not kicked a ball in anger and has forgotten the names of all his team mates :wink:

:faf::faf: Got you one of these John. :tin hat:

lugz
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Christ did Taiwo sleep with your wife? Two separate threads you've had a go at him. There's plenty wrong with this team at the moment but Taiwo is no where near the top of that list!

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Christ did Taiwo sleep with your wife? Two separate threads you've had a go at him. There's plenty wrong with this team at the moment but Taiwo is no where near the top of that list!

I wish he had, maybe he'd have a bit bite about him.

Your right though, he's not the problem. Our managers team selection is.

TheFamous1875
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
GK. Williams
LB. McGivern
CB. Hanlon
CB. Forster? Nelson's distribution had me reeling yesterday. Was glad when he went off, but saddened that he didn't stay off.
RB. Stevenson. Never thought I'd see the day I elected him as our RB, but he's barely put a foot wrong the last few games. If it ain't broke.

CDM.Thomson
RAM. Handling
CAM. Robertson
LAM. Craig/Zoubir*

ST. Collins
ST. Heffernan

* if Zoubir is that good, he could dispose of any 3 of them for any AM position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lugz
01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I wish he had, maybe he'd have a bit bite about him.

Your right though, he's not the problem. Our managers team selection is.

Our manager is the problem. Unfortunately it seems we are stuck with him.

erin go bragh
01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Williams

Clancy/Stevenson
Nelson
Hanlon
Mcgivern

Zoubir
Robertson
Thomson
Craig

Collins
Hefferman

I know Stevenson has been fine at rb , but he offers nothing going forward . imo

Squealing pig
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Williams mcgivern mcpake nelson clancy zoubi thompson robertson craig heff collins, simples

AlbertK86
01-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Williams

Stevenson
Nelson
Hanlon
McGivern

Handling
Robertson
Thomson
Craig

Collins
Heffernan

Subs

Murdoch
Clancy
Taiwo
Zoubir
Stanton
Caldwell
Vine

SouthamptonHibs
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
If Collins doesn't score v super j' s I'd drop him for the following game and put Caldwell in. Strikers need to score goals, after five games he's hardly had a shot on target and the shots he has had have been poor. We need a big game from him, the £200k investments not looking to be money well spent just now. Early days but he needs a goal asap

truehibernian
01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Lewis played well yesterday after a shaky start and being identified as a 'weak link' early on by County.

However I predict Saints will deploy Hasselbaink against Lewis and NH will rip Lewis a new one time and time again - Lewis gets no protection at all and Hasselbaink will get lots of possession. Wotherspoon will raise his game to prove a point to Pat, and if they keep May and his head hasn't been muddled with the Peterborough nonsense then he will also be a threat in the wide and central area.

I genuinely don't think Pat Fenlon knows his best team, and I don't think he quite knows how to balance the midfield area. Heffernan offers some vital movement up front.

It's a really difficult game to call this one. Hibs could be on the end of a humping, or we could sneak it like we did last year (when we were the poorer side).

Wouldn't be keen to drop Lewis though as he hasn't played that badly at all. I still wouldn't have him anywhere near right back but Pat's put him there and for now he's surviving, albeit offering us nothing going forward on that side. Another I feel sorry for.

Jonnyboy
01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
If Collins doesn't score v super j' s I'd drop him for the following game and put Caldwell in. Strikers need to score goals, after five games he's hardly had a shot on target and the shots he has had have been poor. We need a big game from him, the £200k investments not looking to be money well spent just now. Early days but he needs a goal asap

Pretty sure RP, at the Q&A session, said we hadn't paid £200k

Squealing pig
01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Am sure sparky had a dry start, no comparing them obv but once he breaks his duck he wil get goals.

SouthamptonHibs
01-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Hoping Collins comes good, over the past 8 years we have been spoiled by having good strikers Riorden, O'Connor, Stokes, Fletcher, Leigh, Killen and of course Nish!

Heisenberg
01-09-2013, 07:12 PM

He wasn't 200k. Caldwell would do no better. He needs service in the box, when he got a half decent ball in yesterday for the first time since he arrived he was able to get a header in which hit the post. His all round game looks good, just needs more service. Vine is the complete opposite IMO, his general play is guff.

scoopyboy
01-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Williams.

Heffernan. Collins

Not a bad team but your substitutions might just cause you a problem.

When you put Handling on for Collins you will probably find he is already on the pitch!!!!!

Judas Iscariot
01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Williams

Clancy Nelson Hanlon McGivern

Handling Thomson Craig Zoubir

Collins Heeferman

erin go bragh
01-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Hoping Collins comes good, over the past 8 years we have been spoiled by having good strikers Riorden, O'Connor, Stokes, Fletcher, Leigh, Killen and of course Nish!

Its Riordan sh . but yes we have been spoiled .

ggtth

Iggy Pope
01-09-2013, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=lugz;3738569]Christ did Taiwo sleep with your wife? Two separate threads you've had a go at him. There's plenty wrong with this team at the moment but Taiwo is no where near the top of that list![/QUOTl

This business of players sleeping with posters wives. When did this start? Are they doing this while their spouses are busy spraffing rubbish on here?

Iggy Pope
01-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Super J's? Whose side are you on man?

SouthamptonHibs
01-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Super J's? Whose side are you on man?

no idea why i wrote that hail hail

GreenOnions
01-09-2013, 10:10 PM
The only difference is handling for Thomson and Nelson for McPake.

Not a bad team but I'm struggling to see what Nelson has done wrong to merit being dropped?

On the same token Handling has been about our best attacking threat over the last few games, we need attacking players.

You're right - not too many differences. The differences are pretty important though IMHO. Thomson has real quality and has begun to show it again this season. I'm sorry but I feel there's no way we can afford to leave him out of our team.

Nelson does offer some things that we need like strength and ability to get his head on balls into our box. However, I have several problems with his selection:

He is the slowest player I think I've ever seen. This became extremely apparent during the Motherwell game and it was clear they were targetting it before they scored by exploiting it. Motherwell very nearly scored against us with an almost identical ball over the top of Nelson just prior to taking the lead against us.

His distribution has also been extremely poor IMHO. I am certainly not saying he is responsible for us not playing football the right way but I would prefer a centre half who could pass the ball more effectively.

Finally - I actually feel he has been seriously culpable for every league goal we've conceded this season. He was caught under long balls between him and Mullen against Motherwell and DUFC. He was marking the scorer against Hearts and it was his poor header that ended up at the feet of Nicholson before he hit the back of our net for Kilmarnock. I am extremely surprised this has not been commented on by others - particularly in view of the flak that some of Nelson's central defensive team-mates receive.

I'm sure Nelson can improve but, at the moment, I really feel that another option would be best. To me - Forster has not put a foot wrong for Hibs and I would have him straight in there. If McPake was fully fit and back to his best I'd also have him there as first choice beside Hanlon if Forster is not deemed ready yet.

The_Horde
01-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Williams

Stevenson/Clancy Nelson Hanlon McGivern

Handling Robertson Thomson Zoubir

Collins Heffernan

SteveHFC
01-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Williams

Zoubir Robertson Thomson Craig

Collins Heffernan

Subs:
Murdoch
Forster
Stevenson
Tommy Tackle ;)
Handling
Vine
Caldwell

The_Horde
01-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Williams

Handling Robertson Thomson Zoubir

Collins Heffernan

Subs:
Murdoch
Forster
Stevenson
Tommy Tackle ;)
Tudor-Jones
Vine
Caldwell

No Craig?

SteveHFC
01-09-2013, 11:52 PM
;3739313']No Craig?

Forget about him :duck:

The_Horde
02-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Forget about him :duck:

No handling?.. :greengrin

SteveHFC
02-09-2013, 12:06 AM
;3739319']No handling?.. :greengrin

Keep forgetting :( :duck:

Brightside
02-09-2013, 07:18 AM
He wasn't 200k. Caldwell would do no better. He needs service in the box, when he got a half decent ball in yesterday for the first time since he arrived he was able to get a header in which hit the post. His all round game looks good, just needs more service. Vine is the complete opposite IMO, his general play is guff.

I will only ever ask for players to be dropped if they are not putting in the effort. and despite what a couple have said on here I see no effort from Vine. If he is not fully fit put him in the u20s to get some match sharpness. But he MUST show more commitment on the park. He makes no effort to chase down the ball, to run into attacking positions, and his general movement is slow and laboured. Heffernan must get a start in the next game next to collins. I only want to see one defensive midfielder, the other three should be attack minded and willing to support the strikers when we move forward. Fenlon cannot blame players when he is the one setting them up for a draw.