PDA

View Full Version : The Best Full Back-Winger Combination?

green.and.white
30-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Watching the Bayern Chelsea game and looking at the way that Lahm and Robben, as well at Alaba and Ribery link up is is fantastic. Got me thinking of other link-ups over the years, the likes of Neville and Beckham and Man Utd.

What are some other memorable ones? Any Hibs ones anyone can think of?

HIBEETILLIDIE
30-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Watching the Bayern Chelsea game and looking at the way that Lahm and Robben, as well at Alaba and Ribery link up is is fantastic. Got me thinking of other link-ups over the years, the likes of Neville and Beckham and Man Utd.

What are some other memorable ones? Any Hibs ones anyone can think of?

Brownlie and Edwards

eastterrace
30-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Brownlie and Edwards

yes spot on wont see a better pairing.

Mark79
30-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Kujabi and O'Brien on the left would have been fantastic.

eastterrace
30-08-2013, 08:59 PM

maybe we should change this to the worst pairings ever

Mon Dieu4
30-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Lahm is a total class act, i love that guy!

IberianHibernian
30-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Interesting question from Hibs `point of view . When we`ve had good wingers ( Marinello , Duncan , McAllister , Weir , ..) we haven`t had good attacking full backs on same side ( Shades was great full back but not attacking ) and good attacking full backs like Murphy or even Duncan or Tortelano as full backs ( neither great but attacking ) didn`t have great wingers . Who was full back with McAllister ? Gordon Hunter ? At end of last season I thought McGovern and Harris played well together - goal in abandoned match at Killie for example .

nonshinyfinish
30-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Did O'Brien ever play in front of Zarabi?

MyJo
30-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Murphy & Riordan :greengrin

Jonnyboy
30-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Though I didn't see them personally I'm assured that Jock Govan and Gordon Smith were special.

Shrekko
30-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Baines and Pienaar at Everton have an excellent understanding.

nribs
30-08-2013, 09:53 PM
I think it would be Willie Miller or Graham Mitche with McAllister??
Interesting question from Hibs `point of view . When we`ve had good wingers ( Marinello , Duncan , McAllister , Weir , ..) we haven`t had good attacking full backs on same side ( Shades was great full back but not attacking ) and good attacking full backs like Murphy or even Duncan or Tortelano as full backs ( neither great but attacking ) didn`t have great wingers . Who was full back with McAllister ? Gordon Hunter ? At end of last season I thought McGovern and Harris played well together - goal in abandoned match at Killie for example .

poolman
30-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Brownlie and Edwards

Mmmmmmmmmm, sorry I'm just drooling

Takes me back these pair, a joy to watch,as were numerous other players in that team, in fact,all of them were

snooky
30-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Brownlie and Edwards

This was my first thought too. :agree:
Hibs class x 2

...and I've ay been a fan of Philip Lahm - quality player.

Kaff
31-08-2013, 12:27 AM
In modern Hibs teams I think you would say that Whittaker and Murphy were our wingers and that's the big difference between the teams TM&JC put out and what has happened since.
In those teams the fullbacks pushed on and were extra attacking players, yes the midfield played narrow, but no matter, the FBs were adding to our attacking threat. Since then our managers have been more defensively minded but seem to have forgotten to give our team attacking width (or buy the right quality AO'B?). To play that way you obviously need the right players and well done TM buying DM and using SW correctly, David van zanten never had a chance did he?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Baines and Pienaar for me.

TRC
31-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Evra Ronaldo for Man U, Giggs irwin, Babbel Basler

Jones28
31-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Used to love watching murphy and Riordan playing together. In the second half at Easter road especially because they would be right in front of me.

hibsbollah
31-08-2013, 08:37 AM
RB Carlos Alberto, RW Jairzinho, surely.

Zarabi and Joe Keenan also worth a shout.

hibsbollah
31-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Did O'Brien ever play in front of Zarabi?

We have a winner :aok: 2008's dream combo wide left.

Hibrandenburg
31-08-2013, 09:00 AM
I used to hate them and they put the ****s up me everytime they played at ER but I think you'd have to add Danny McGrain and Jimmy Johnson to the list.