PDA

View Full Version : Ross Caldwell

AugustaHibs
30-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Just tweeted simply " Im done." Could this be with now how many strikers are maybe ahead of him? Just thoughts.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Just tweeted simply " Im done." Could this be with now how many strikers are maybe ahead of him? Just thoughts.

I can understand why he's a bit fed up, but i sure as hell would not want to have gone a full season with him the only other alternative up front.

If he's going to be good enough, he needs to make it impossible for Fenlon to leave him out.

Hibs90
30-08-2013, 05:02 PM
"my life doesn't revolve around football nothing to do with signing another striker, hope he does well "

Heisenberg
30-08-2013, 05:03 PM
He did well on a few occasions last season and scored a couple of good goals, that sure as hell dosent guarantee him a starting spot this season. I'd have given him more game time at the start of the season but a choice between Heffernan and Caldwell? Only one winner i'm afraid. He's just said its not football related anyway.

Iceman1875
I reckon he'll go out on loan for the season, hopefully to a club like Dumbarton where he will play often in a decent footballing side. Always thought out of Handling and Caldwell that Ross was the better player...

KeithTheHibby
Perhaps he isn't doing enough in training to merit a start or game time? Attitude a problem?

Who knows but there is something behind the fact that he has hardly played this season.

Unseen work
Just responded to someone saying his life doesn't revolve around football and he hopes he does well.

I don't buy it though....definetly think it's to do with the signing

PeterboroHibee
Hes a 19 year old. It may be disappointing for him this season but Heffernan is 31 and Vine is 30, theres every chance for him to make it at Hibs in the not too distant future (although if his tweet is in response to the new signing it is a bit of a defeatist attitude). I said it on the other thread, Id personally like to see him go out on loan - it would give him the chance to play every week and show the management what he can do, and in my opinion is better than getting the odd cameos here. I may be wrong but I think if he wasnt in Fenlons plans he would be gone by now.

hfc rd
30-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I think he will go out on loan for the season. Somewhere like Dumbarton.

TheFamous1875
30-08-2013, 05:04 PM
If he's going to be good enough, he needs to make it impossible for Fenlon to leave him out.

Exactly. I hope instead of denting his confidence, this will only spur him on to making sure he's chosen. Also, it can only be good for him/Handling/Collins, having experienced players around them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

matty_f
30-08-2013, 05:05 PM
I can understand why he's a bit fed up, but i sure as hell would not want to have gone a full season with him the only other alternative up front.

He'd be f*****g stupid to chuck it at Hibs. He needs to realise he's not at the level to start week in/week out. His time will come.
Too many young laddies think they've made it when they get a sniff of the first term. Says a lot about his attitude if his response is to take the huff when he could put the work in to up his game and put himself ahead of the new boys.

Heisenberg
30-08-2013, 05:07 PM
ross caldwell‏@rossycee12m (http://www.hibs.net/rossycee1/status/373491550187450369)Lots of people thinking I'm talking about another signing it's not timing just isn't the best, hope he scores goals for the club I love

vercol36
30-08-2013, 05:07 PM
If he's going to make his feelings public in that manner then he's got no sympathy from me. At the moment, though, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as its a bit of a vague statement!

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Caldwell has massively gone up in my estimation for both those tweets.

IberianHibernian
30-08-2013, 05:09 PM
For his age has already been given a lot of chances despite showing little except goal at Tynie . Time for him to show he`s really worth a regular place though a loan deal might be a better option . Twitter stuff doesn`t help either .

Westie1875
I don't see why he needs to go out on loan. We have Collins, Vine and Heffernan, but Vine can also play wide, since when was a squad with 4 strikers an issue?

The first time in a long time we have real options up front and I hope Caldwell doesn't go out on loan, he (and Handling) can stay and help Hibs this season, we will get injuries and suspensions before too long and we need options on the bench.

blackpoolhibs
I can't for the life of me see why we would loan him out, it would only leave us with Vine who is apparently better wide, Collins and Hefferman. Handling is another but he's similar to Caldwell in that he's young and inexperienced.

We'd only need a couple of injuries and we'd be struggling, so no i'd keep him at the club.

Barney McGrew
30-08-2013, 05:14 PM
We'd only need a couple of injuries and we'd be struggling, so no i'd keep him at the club.

:agree:

He's one of 3/4 strikers at a club that will still have 40+ matches to play this season.

He's still going to have the chance to play a big part this season when injuries and suspensions start to kick in, he just needs to bide his time.

Gatecrasher
30-08-2013, 05:40 PM
No danger he should be going on loan, 4 strikers is ideal. It gives us options on the bench as well.

vercol36
30-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Isn't Handling officially a forward too? That's five.

jdships
30-08-2013, 06:22 PM
For his age has already been given a lot of chances despite showing little except goal at Tynie . Time for him to show he`s really worth a regular place though a loan deal might be a better option . Twitter stuff doesn`t help either .

Sadly I think he is going to be a
" Talented 16 year old " who became a " 17 year old with great potential " who became a "19 year with a lot of talent "
who , like myself , was not able to go that extra mile to make it at the top :dunno:

Scooter
30-08-2013, 06:33 PM
IMO Caldwell is a better player than handling

Billy Whizz
30-08-2013, 06:44 PM
IMO Caldwell is a better player than handling

Never in a month of Sunday's

IberianHibernian
30-08-2013, 08:47 PM
IMO Caldwell is a better player than handlingA few years ago Kurtis Byrne and Damon Gray were scoring loads of goals for Under 19/20 team but hardly got a chance in first team . Byrne is doing well in Ireland , not sure about Gray ( Berwick perhaps ) . Caldwell and Handling have already played quite a lot in first team ( credit to Fenlon for giving them a chance though at times he probably had no choice ) but neither have shown yet that they are good enough to become first team regulars .

Cabbage East
30-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Might be something to do with his personal life...

Scooter
30-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Never in a month of Sunday's

Opinions eh. I think handling is a headless chicken and will not make it. I hope I'm wrong

lucky
30-08-2013, 08:56 PM
RC has shown little to convince me that he will make it at SPL level. His first touch is poor and now it appears his attitude is as bad. Apart from the goal at the PBS, when else has he done anything?

carnoustiehibee
30-08-2013, 09:00 PM
RC has shown little to convince me that he will make it at SPL level. His first touch is poor and now it appears his attitude is as bad. Apart from the goal at the PBS, when else has he done anything?

What a stupid thing to say

Vault Boy
30-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Didn't he score against St Mirren in one of his few starts too?

QMU-1875
30-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Caldwell has a big future. Genuinely believe this could be something personal and if it wasn't so what, it shows he is hungry! It's a lot better than him tweeting that he's happy to be lower in the pecking order. Hel get his chance, he will take it!

nribs
30-08-2013, 09:11 PM
A few years ago Kurtis Byrne and Damon Gray were scoring loads of goals for Under 19/20 team but hardly got a chance in first team . Byrne is doing well in Ireland , not sure about Gray ( Berwick perhaps ) . Caldwell and Handling have already played quite a lot in first team ( credit to Fenlon for giving them a chance though at times he probably had no choice ) but neither have shown yet that they are good enough to become first team regulars . Have to agree with this.

SquashedFrogg
30-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Worrying tweet. Not for us, but for him. 19 and 'done'....

Andy74
30-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I can't for the life of me see why we would loan him out, it would only leave us with Vine who is apparently better wide, Collins and Hefferman. Handling is another but he's similar to Caldwell in that he's young and inexperienced.

Yep. Has a part to play.

LeithBoozy
30-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't see why he needs to go out on loan. We have Collins, Vine and Heffernan, but Vine can also play wide, since when was a squad with 4 strikers an issue?

The first time in a long time we have real options up front and I hope Caldwell doesn't go out on loan, he (and Handling) can stay and help Hibs this season, we will get injuries and suspensions before too long and we need options on the bench.
This says it all for me, exactly what I was thinking. :agree:

oconnors_strip
30-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Worrying tweet. Not for us, but for him. 19 and 'done'....

I'm sure you and others on here have thought that many times no matter what your age is. The lad has a life away from football and as many people do, they vent their feelings on social media.

IberianHibernian
30-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Yep. Has a part to play.Also Vine seems to get a yellow card almost every match so will be suspended soon . If Caldwell goes to a lower league team and scores 20 goals will it show he`s good enough for top league anyway ? Idea of Under 20s in East of Scotland League is also to give players match practice . But if he hasn`t made an impact by New Year , maybe it`d be better for him and Hibs to look for a loan deal .

oconnors_strip
30-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Also Vine seems to get a yellow card almost every match so will be suspended soon . If Caldwell goes to a lower league team and scores 20 goals will it show he`s good enough for top league anyway ? Idea of Under 20s in East of Scotland League is also to give players match practice . But if he hasn`t made an impact by New Year , maybe it`d be better for him and Hibs to look for a loan deal .

The players who play in the east of scotland team are the younger under 20s, mostly 16-18 year olds. Caldwell is playing regularly for the Spfl under 20 league squad

Jonnyboy
30-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm sure you and others on here have thought that many times no matter what your age is. The lad has a life away from football and as many people do, they vent their feelings on social media.

By the same token though, using social media can cause all sorts of half truths and lies. A good few of the posts on this thread have latched onto the "I'm done" tweet with some having a pop at the laddie. His subsequent tweets offer more but are either ignored or missed because folk read "I'm done" and immediately add their thoughts on here

Nae wonder I dinnae tweet :greengrin

SquashedFrogg
30-08-2013, 10:04 PM

If he's referring to other issues in his life then I hope he gets things sorted out, I genuinly do.

If however, he's referring to his position at his football club, then at aged 19 I feel sad.

It seems all too common now that boys that age seem to think they've made it.

Perhaps an attitude which suggests his exclusion this season?

SquashedFrogg
30-08-2013, 10:08 PM

By the same token though, using social media can cause all sorts of half truths and lies. A good few of the posts on this thread have latched onto the "I'm done" tweet with some having a pop at the laddie. His subsequent tweets offer more but are either ignored or missed because folk read "I'm done" and immediately add their thoughts on here

Nae wonder I dinnae tweet :greengrin

So why tweet (knowing that people will speculate) such suggestive quotes?

He's not a plumber or road sweeper... He knows people, fans, media will review any such tweets... Especially when his employer has just brought in another player for his position.

Irresponsible and ill thought out. Anyone know who his agent is?

SquashedFrogg
30-08-2013, 10:11 PM

If he's referring to other issues in his life then I hope he gets things sorted out, I genuinly do.

If however, he's referring to his position at his football club, then at aged 19 I feel sad.

It seems all too common now that boys that age seem to think they've made it.

Perhaps an attitude which suggests his exclusion this season?

Jonnyboy
30-08-2013, 10:19 PM
So why tweet (knowing that people will speculate) such suggestive quotes?

He's not a plumber or road sweeper... He knows people, fans, media will review any such tweets... Especially when his employer has just brought in another player for his position.

Irresponsible and ill thought out. Anyone know who his agent is?

TBH I don't know why anybody tweets. Killing the art of conversation :wink:

I think it's a bit harsh though to expect him to think carefully before tweeting any combination of words. I thought Twitter was popular because it's instant.

Boyle89
30-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Can't believe he hasn't had a chance this season. Pretty much every body watchin the game at tynecastle was screaming to put him on and fenlon chose Stanton instead. There must be something we don't know as to why he isn't getting a chance. Hope he does though as I rate him highly. I'd even take him over heffernan.

lucky
30-08-2013, 10:45 PM
What a stupid thing to say

Why is it stupid to say he has a poor touch and going by his tweets a poor attitude ?

SquashedFrogg
30-08-2013, 11:20 PM
TBH I don't know why anybody tweets. Killing the art of conversation :wink:

I think it's a bit harsh though to expect him to think carefully before tweeting any combination of words. I thought Twitter was popular because it's instant.

Not that instant really... People still technically have to engage their brain before pressing the buttons on their phone... They know exactly they're saying

Edit- just realised I may just have been 'wooshed'

Hibby 2005
01-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Maybe I imagined it but at the end of the game it looked as if Pat tried to shake Caldwell's hand but the player just ignored him.

There have been other games where I thought Caldwell should have been on either from the start or from the bench but was surprised he came on yesterday as Hefferman was the more obvious choice.

Alan62
01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Never noticed that but, to be honest, didn't pay much attention after the final whistle.

As for Caldwell, I know he didn't get much time but I thought he looked out of his depth when he came on. I felt that Collins did a lot of hopeful running about for most of the game and when Caldwell came on we had two strikers who were just charging about burning up energy without any real purpose or direction. To be fair to the youngster, he's got a long way to go and he has showed some promise but, for me, he's nowhere near ready for a start in first team football.

Ozyhibby
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Caldwell needs to learn the offside rule.

LeithBoozy
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
The difference between Caldwell and Luckassen of Ross county, was like night & day. The ball control and awareness of one against the other, was there to see. Why should this be, I don't know, but if Ross County can exploit it why cant we.? The young foreigners seem to have much more skill than ours, so lets try a tie-up with some Dutch, German, or French teams and try it what have we got to lose. :wink:

Greendub
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Ross knew himself he didn't play well, said so on twitter

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Have to say, really disappointed in Caldwell. Considering he has lacked game time and had point to prove he looked very slow and lackluster.

Excited when he came on as I thought he'd be bursting to show pat what he's been missing. For 19 he looked very slow and lazy.

Maybe I should've boo'd him?

Fergus52
01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
The difference between Caldwell and Luckassen of Ross county, was like night & day. The ball control and awareness of one against the other, was there to see. Why should this be, I don't know, but if Ross County can exploit it why cant we.? The young foreigners seem to have much more skill than ours, so lets try a tie-up with some Dutch, German, or French teams and try it what have we got to lose. :wink:

That black guy was rubbish, he managed to hold the ball up only by constantly fouling Hanlon, I never saw him beat either of our centre backs it the air and his link up play was awful.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
That black guy was rubbish, he managed to hold the ball up only by constantly fouling Hanlon, I never saw him beat either of our centre backs it the air and his link up play was awful.

I think that also confirms how well our centre backs played. He looked a handful but they never gave him a sniff.

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 05:38 PM
maybe he was a bit peeved at getting a paltry 7 mins to try and have some influence in the game, , one of my pet hates is when something is obviously needing changed why give a player/players a silly 7 mins, if it's for an injury or to run the clock down fair enough but ffs gie the players a chance

Heisenberg
01-09-2013, 05:39 PM
maybe he was a bit peeved at getting a paltry 7 mins to try and have some influence in the game, , one of my pet hates is when something is obviously needing changed why give a player/players a silly 7 mins, if it's for an injury or to run the clock down fair enough but ffs gie the players a chance

Caldwell got like 20 minutes?

leither17
01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
He shot right down the tunnel at the end

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Caldwell got like 20 minutes?

sorry i'm still peeved at those late subs anyway :greengrin

hibs0666
01-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I haven't seen much from Caldwell to suggest he is of SPFL standard, and he was absolutely honkin when he came on yesterday.

Heisenberg
01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
sorry i'm still peeved at those late subs anyway :greengrin

I was sure he was going to keep Vine on till the last 10 minutes so was shocked when he was hooked. Brought on the wrong player too, Caldwell isn't ready/good enough yet IMO but he chose him over a proven Spl striker.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Did you leave early or were you at the game?

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Did you leave early or were you at the game?

why

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
why

Because you only saw Caldwell on the pitch for 7 mins? Hence why I asked if you either left early or weren't at the match. It was a genuine question.

truehibernian
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Have to say, really disappointed in Caldwell. Considering he has lacked game time and had point to prove he looked very slow and lackluster.

Excited when he came on as I thought he'd be bursting to show pat what he's been missing. For 19 he looked very slow and lazy.

Maybe I should've boo'd him?

Depends what you want in a young striker - what you get with Ross Caldwell is a guy who will work very hard, but has that striker's knack of missing a few chances in a game or looking flawed around the edges, yet when the chance to win a game or get that all important goal comes, it's Ross that's in that position to score - and he will score. I've watched him have horror shows in youth games yet up he pops to score the winner or bag a goal at a crucial time. He just keeps going. That's why I am so very keen to see Ross and Danny up top - Danny is a very technically gifted young footballer and can spot space well, and links with Ross really really well.

You'd think that a manager would see if they can take their prolific youth partnership to the top team - specifically in pre-season games. Or you'd think a manager would see RC's record v Hearts and harness the fact he'd scored the winner at Tynecastle last game, and play the lad - as he'd be bursting to do the same - or you'd think a manager would give a newly signed, reasonably prolific striker (Heffernan) more than 8 or 9 minutes to make an impact in a game which was 0-0 and none of our strikers have scored this season !!!

Pat just hasn't a clue how to work the crowd, play the psychological game, or introduce players at the right time in games - he's scared to lose games of football. For those in the media criticising the fans feelings affecting the players, for me it's the reverse - the manager's lack of positivity is what is surging through the fanbase at present - playing one striker so often on their own, at home, regardless of opposition - that is what is causing the atmosphere to dip and become negative.

If you approach the gates of Easter Road at 2.45pm, and you are told the teamlines are 4-3-3 or even 4-2-4 (with width amongst the front 4), you go in knowing and thinking we are going out to win those 3 points - when I approach now and see a static forward line and no width and pace I know that 3 points (and goals) will be a scarcity. It's that sad these days.

Teams were scared to face Riordan, GOC, Sproule, Shiels, Morrow and Brown - they had no fear, had flaws to all their games, but played with verve and impact and were allowed to express themselves. There are no free spirits in the side - just 11 workhorses. And workhorses are known for plodding along !

hibsbollah
01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
TH, i had to laugh at the idea of teams being scared to face Sammy Morrow :hilarious He may have improved since dropping down a level but he was beyond rotten with a Hibs top on...

But I agree with the rest of your post.

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Because you only saw Caldwell on the pitch for 7 mins? Hence why I asked if you either left early or weren't at the match. It was a genuine question.

post 10 pointed that out to me, we all make mistakes

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM
post 10 pointed that out to me, we all make mistakes

Apologies mate, I never read post 10. Mistakes are normally my forte...

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 06:11 PM
TH, i had to laugh at the idea of teams being scared to face Sammy Morrow :hilarious He may have improved since dropping down a level but he was beyond rotten with a Hibs top on...

But I agree with the rest of your post.

Bit harsh on Morrow. Wasn't brilliant but hardly 'beyond rotten'...

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I was sure he was going to keep Vine on till the last 10 minutes so was shocked when he was hooked. Brought on the wrong player too, Caldwell isn't ready/good enough yet IMO but he chose him over a proven Spl striker.

your guess is as good as mine as to why :greengrin danny handling looked knackered, no surprise since he put in a power of work(imo) heffernan should have been brought on then(again imo)

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Depends what you want in a young striker - what you get with Ross Caldwell is a guy who will work very hard, but has that striker's knack of missing a few chances in a game or looking flawed around the edges, yet when the chance to win a game or get that all important goal comes, it's Ross that's in that position to score - and he will score. I've watched him have horror shows in youth games yet up he pops to score the winner or bag a goal at a crucial time. He just keeps going. That's why I am so very keen to see Ross and Danny up top - Danny is a very technically gifted young footballer and can spot space well, and links with Ross really really well.

You'd think that a manager would see if they can take their prolific youth partnership to the top team - specifically in pre-season games. Or you'd think a manager would see RC's record v Hearts and harness the fact he'd scored the winner at Tynecastle last game, and play the lad - as he'd be bursting to do the same - or you'd think a manager would give a newly signed, reasonably prolific striker (Heffernan) more than 8 or 9 minutes to make an impact in a game which was 0-0 and none of our strikers have scored this season !!!

Pat just hasn't a clue how to work the crowd, play the psychological game, or introduce players at the right time in games - he's scared to lose games of football. For those in the media criticising the fans feelings affecting the players, for me it's the reverse - the manager's lack of positivity is what is surging through the fanbase at present - playing one striker so often on their own, at home, regardless of opposition - that is what is causing the atmosphere to dip and become negative.

If you approach the gates of Easter Road at 2.45pm, and you are told the teamlines are 4-3-3 or even 4-2-4 (with width amongst the front 4), you go in knowing and thinking we are going out to win those 3 points - when I approach now and see a static forward line and no width and pace I know that 3 points (and goals) will be a scarcity. It's that sad these days.

Teams were scared to face Riordan, GOC, Sproule, Shiels, Morrow and Brown - they had no fear, had flaws to all their games, but played with verve and impact and were allowed to express themselves. There are no free spirits in the side - just 11 workhorses. And workhorses are known for plodding along !

Can't argue with replies like that mate. Great post. I guess I was hoping Caldwell would go on the pitch and be buzzing all over the place, getting wired in. He seems like the type if lad who would. Perhaps fenlons instructions restrict him?

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Apologies mate, I never read post 10. Mistakes are normally my forte...

please dont read the match update thread from the raith v hertz game the other night then :embarrass :) you dont have a monopoly on mistakes :greengrin

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2013, 07:52 PM
please dont read the match update thread from the raith v hertz game the other night then :embarrass :) you dont have a monopoly on mistakes :greengrin

Haha, I may just do that now :)