PDA

View Full Version : Creativity, width, pace

The Sea-gull
30-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Seems that this is what the manager and the fans all feel we need. How many players do we need though?

As things stand our striker pool is Collins, Vine, Caldwell and Handling. In terms of numbers 4 is probably fine. In terms of balance it is ok too. Collins and Caldwell are out and out no 9s and Handling and Vine (despite him being the one who actually wears 9) are a wee bit more versatile and can play as wide forwards or second strikers/false 9s or whatever you wnat to call it. Vine is doing a great job as a very false no 9 just now.

In terms of quality, jury is out on all of them. Collins, granted he has had a lack of service, has done little to suggest he is 200k well spent and 4 games in a goalscorer like him would have looked to have a couple. Early days yet though and real judgement should take place after half a season or so. Other strikers have taken time to settle and then come good and he might be one of these strikers who goes a few games without a goal then rattles them in over a burst of games.

Vine, still not sure about him. Maybe we need to set up a bit differently to get the best out of him. Feel he might be a good signing as a squad player but not sure he is what we are looking for in terms of first XI quality.

Caldwell - I like what I have seen of this guy and can't understand why he hasn't been given a chance, esp when we are not scoring and he looks like a goal scorer. Pat obviously sees them training and may know different but I don't see why he isn't worth more game time. One of Pat's managerial flaws for me is that he can be a wee bit shy with the younger players. I know they need gradually blooded but I feel he held off with Harris and is now doing the same with Caldwell.

Handling - not sure about him and I don't think Pat is either. Could it be that, based on recent line ups, the manager sees him as a wide player.

This being the case, could we try and "train" Handling to be a wide player and maybe use what is left of the budget to sign a pacy, creative, attacker with a wee eye for goal who might help Collins settle a bit more and help get the best out of him rather than signing an out and out winger.

GordonHFC
30-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I have no insider knowledge or anything but the way PF has been treating Caldwell I have a feeling that he will go out on loan before close of play on Saturday and we will bring in another CF with experience as well as the wide player we so desperately need. Just a hunch.

The Sea-gull
30-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I have no insider knowledge or anything but the way PF has been treating Caldwell I have a feeling that he will go out on loan before close of play on Saturday and we will bring in another CF with experience as well as the wide player we so desperately need. Just a hunch.

Wouldn't entirely be against that as Caldwell might be at the point where he needs games and if he is not going to get these at Hibs then going elsewhere would maybe not be a bad thing for him or us.

If that meant we got another striker and a winger in then I would be happy enough with it.

Maybe a wee loan spell at Dumbarton in the offing.

Pat 0-7
30-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't think you can judge Collins yet seeing as he has had no decent service into the box and has had to come back to the halfway line looking for the ball? :dunno:

If he gets some decent service into the box he will score goals. :agree:

Pat - get it sorted before the window 'slams shut'........:grr:

The Sea-gull
30-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't think you can judge Collins yet seeing as he has had no decent service into the box and has had to come back to the halfway line looking for the ball? :dunno:

If he gets some decent service into the box he will score goals. :agree:

Pat - get it sorted before the window 'slams shut'........:grr:

Have seen this comment made by a lot and I agree to a fair extent as my post acknowledges but I think we can make an initial judgement. Strikers needs service but they also need to take some responsibility for making and taking chances for themselves as well as getting in and about the penalty box, feeding off scraps, having that instinctive knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Remember, Collins has cost us, in our terms, a significant fee and while that is not his fault, it is still a consideration when looking at him.

Fergus52
30-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Have seen this comment made by a lot and I agree to a fair extent as my post acknowledges but I think we can make an initial judgement. Strikers needs service but they also need to take some responsibility for making and taking chances for themselves as well as getting in and about the penalty box, feeding off scraps, having that instinctive knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Remember, Collins has cost us, in our terms, a significant fee and while that is not his fault, it is still a consideration when looking at him.

The fee we paid for Collins was nowhere near 200k.

Petrie confirmed this at the fan meeting a couple of weeks ago.

The Sea-gull
30-08-2013, 10:27 AM

That is sometimes the frustrating thing about fees. Us as fans often just go on what the media report as clubs (and I can see why) tend not to disclose figures.

Craig_in_Prague
30-08-2013, 10:42 AM
I think we really need some sitting midfielders, defensive or holding, whatever you may call them.
We are too gung-ho...and whilst I'm enjoying us rattling in all these goals, we need to 'keep the back door shut' as some say.

Spike Mandela
30-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Would just be nice to see a forward actually score this season.:rolleyes: Tomorrow would be a good day to start.:cb

The Sea-gull
30-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Maybe so but perhaps there is an argument to say that any fee we pay for a player is significant considering most of our signings are free transfers.

LongshanksED
30-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I think we really need some sitting midfielders, defensive or holding, whatever you may call them.
We are too gung-ho...and whilst I'm enjoying us rattling in all these goals, we need to 'keep the back door shut' as some say.

Chortle!

Pat 0-7
30-08-2013, 11:57 AM

:tsk tsk:

:faf:

MrRobot
30-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Think Collins will bag a couple tomorrow.

Spike Mandela
30-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Think Collins will bag a couple tomorrow.

Absolutely no logic or reason to suggest that should happen but I get a feeling that might be the case as well.:aok:

yekimevol
30-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Our creativity pace and width is mostly on the physio table at the moment, in the form of harris and cairney. Once they get back and you add the new guy Zoubir. It should be a decent squad i terms of pace and creativity when you think that Craig, Harris, robbo, cairney and i hope Zoubir provides the team with.