PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Sproule

erin-go-bragh87
29-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Apologies if posted already but just thought I'd share the piece on Ivan on the Evening news website. I'm of an age that first time round he was my hero and I was delighted when he came back. I will never forget my first trip to Ibrox because of him!

Story Here: http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ivan-sproule-hibs-will-always-be-club-of-my-heart-1-3064410

--------
29-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Apologies if posted already but just thought I'd share the piece on Ivan on the Evening news website. I'm of an age that first time round he was my hero and I was delighted when he came back. I will never forget my first trip to Ibrox because of him!

Story Here: http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ivan-sproule-hibs-will-always-be-club-of-my-heart-1-3064410

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ivan-sproule-hibs-will-always-be-club-of-my-heart-1-3064410

Stevie Reid
29-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Hopefully a great reception for him on Saturday, followed by a defeat for Ross County.

dangermouse
29-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Hopefully a great reception for him on Saturday, followed by a defeat for Ross County.

Works for me :greengrin

brian6-2
29-08-2013, 02:37 PM

will be getting applauded from me.

great lad and a great player.

patlowe
29-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Was listening to the Off the Ball podcast yesterday and they were talking about 'super sub' memories. I couldn't believe that Ivan didn't get a mention - his hat-trick as a sub at Ibrox will live long in the memory that's for sure.

GreenPJ
29-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Was listening to the Off the Ball podcast yesterday and they were talking about 'super sub' memories. I couldn't believe that Ivan didn't get a mention - his hat-trick as a sub at Ibrox will live long in the memory that's for sure.

Was Sproule a sub that game - I don't know why I got it into my head that I thought Mowbray had talked about the fact that he was going to sub him before he got the first.

Hibee87
29-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Was Sproule a sub that game - I don't know why I got it into my head that I thought Mowbray had talked about the fact that he was going to sub him before he got the first.

Was it not Deeks who he subbed for Sproule, and Deek was a tad unhappy about it?

Jack
29-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Jeezy peeps! Another thread about a player coming back :-)

Mon Dieu4
29-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Garry O went mental about being subbed for Ivan, guess who had the last laugh

Hibee87
29-08-2013, 03:11 PM

I was nearly right :na na:

Mon Dieu4
29-08-2013, 03:12 PM
I was nearly right :na na:

You would have been melted, it was about 4.20pm!!

Stevie Reid
29-08-2013, 03:14 PM

:agree:

Apparently he asked Mowbray why he was being subbed and TM said it was because he hadn't had any shots on goal.

"How many shots is he going to have, likes?" was supposedly Garry's reply!

Hibee87
29-08-2013, 03:21 PM
You would have been melted, it was about 4.20pm!!

I actually was :faf: it was my dads stag doo that day and I mind watching it roll in on soccer satarday in some rugby club in tranent.......

Billy Whizz
29-08-2013, 03:22 PM
I was there, what a day

madabouthibs
29-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I went into B&Q Longstone at 0-0.
Came out 20 minutues later with a new curtain pole and we were 0-3 up! :not worth

Viva_Palmeiras
29-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Came out 20 minutues later with a new curtain pole and we were 0-3 up! :not worth

Was the said purchase Improvised Replacement training equipment for Tam McManus?

Mon Dieu4
29-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I actually was :faf: it was my dads stag doo that day and I mind watching it roll in on soccer satarday in some rugby club in tranent.......

Knew it Haha!

The Green Goblin
29-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Apparently he asked Mowbray why he was being subbed and TM said it was because he hadn't had any shots on goal.

The end of that story is that Mowbray walked past GOC at the end of the game and said "three".

Tricla
29-08-2013, 03:58 PM
The end of that story is that Mowbray walked past GOC at the end of the game and said "three".

Lol!

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-08-2013, 05:03 PM
What a day! Scott Brown and Ivan were unplayable last 20 minutes. He'll get a tremendous reception from me on Saturday. Easily in my top 10 Hibees of all time. (I'm still in my 20's before anyone questions that haha)

.Sean.
29-08-2013, 05:22 PM

Correct, O'Connor barely shook his hand as he went on. If you look closely, you can see Sproule giving it the 'waanker' sign towards the bench after he scores the first :greengrin

Jonnyboy
29-08-2013, 06:16 PM

That's a kinda polite version of events.

TM told me that Garry asked "What's that wee C gonnae dae that ah couldnae?"

:greengrin

Albanian Hibs
29-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Was there at Ibrox that fine day with a cracking hangover. Super sub Ivan cured that.

One Day
29-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Hopefully get the reception he deserves

kaimendhibs
29-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Ivan will always have a place in my heart. Great player and a gem of a man. Was at ibrox that brilliant day. Went to Bristol to see him with amongst others, maturehibby and givescotlandfreedom. Ivan was a true gent, introduced us to his wife and baby and had a drink with us in the players lounge. LEGEND

Sent from my iPhone at home on crutches

ian cruise
29-08-2013, 06:54 PM
One of my favourite Hibs games and one of my all time favourite players. A true gent.

maturehibby
29-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Ivan will always have a place in my heart. Great player and a gem of a man. Was at ibrox that brilliant day. Went to Bristol to see him with amongst others, maturehibby and givescotlandfreedom. Ivan was a true gent, introduced us to his wife and baby and had a drink with us in the players lounge. LEGEND

see nothing changes much - you being legless - like in Bristol and Inverness for that matter .
Ivan my favourite Hibs player after Big Frank left

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Loved him. Hes here, hes there.

Iceman1875
29-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Ironic we are currently looking for a winger/impact player just now yet we let Ivan go last year... Met him in the BMW garage the day before the 2012 cup final, make no mistake he is a true Hibee. Top guy too! Hope he gets a great reception Saturday.

Heisenberg
29-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Great wee guy and a cup winner to boot, will get a good reception from me. He loves Hibs too.

O'Rourke3
29-08-2013, 07:38 PM

I was trapped in Salisbury Road due to poor traffic lights and and an @rse poorly parked. Still 0 -0 when I turned into the road and 0-3 by the time I crossed the traffic lights to Salisbury Place.

maturehibby
29-08-2013, 08:05 PM

see nothing changes much - you being legless - like in Bristol and Inverness for that matter .
Ivan my favourite Hibs player after Big Frank left

Bostonhibby
29-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Fast, direct and unpredictable attacking player who has the potential to get you off your seat and is passionate about our club, maybe we should try and sign him. Tin hat on.

Bostonhibby
29-08-2013, 08:13 PM

If BIG gaz had half Ivans brain and one tenth of his attitude he could have been held in the same esteem today............hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Bostonhibby
29-08-2013, 08:17 PM
I was there, what a day

Watched it in a pub in Lincoln with 3 squaddies, 2 of whom were in Hun strips, they weren't the best afternoons company I have ever had but weren't your typical boxhead hun idiots either, one of them was convinced they would sign Ivan very soon after!

givescotlandfreedom
29-08-2013, 08:36 PM

Ivan's top class. He really knew what it meant to the fans and was delighted to talk about the Hibs fondly.

monktonharp
29-08-2013, 08:42 PM
was on hols, in the canaries with the wife, and she had a blinding headache. I had to go out and find a "medico" place for tablets. while passing a pub, I heard a roar with scots voices. I assumed we were a goal or 2 down. when I got back to our apartment, I could hardly believe the sky sports news! the Hibs top spent the remainder of the holiday on the balcony railings, and the place wiz full o' fans of that club that used to be Rangers. very pleasing it was.

Andy74
29-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Ironic we are currently looking for a winger/impact player just now yet we let Ivan go last year... Met him in the BMW garage the day before the 2012 cup final, make no mistake he is a true Hibee. Top guy too! Hope he gets a great reception Saturday.

Hope the current team get a better reception. No irony at all in our winger search. He was one of those not doing it for us in that position.

kaimendhibs
29-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Hope the current team get a better reception. No irony at all in our winger search. He was one of those not doing it for us in that position.

But Ivan is a right winger, pat insisted on playing him on the left. No shock he is doing the business at county, on the right.

Iggy Pope
29-08-2013, 09:54 PM
One of only two games when I have bought a programme on the way OUT of the 'stadium'
The cup game was the other, when the unfortunately maligned O'Connor was also outstanding. How soon we forget.

You could not have taken the smile of my face with a big stick! (or a purely symbolic baton).

Sir David Gray
29-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Usually don't agree with acknowledging former players when they come back to play us with another club but I'll be making an exception with Sproule.

One of my favourite ever Hibs players and he seems like a genuinely good guy as well.

Three points for us and Ivan to get subbed with a couple of minutes to go and I'm sure he'll receive a standing ovation from the vast majority inside the stadium.

Always welcome back at Easter Road as far as I'm concerned.

Dashing Bob S
29-08-2013, 10:37 PM
What an excellent chap this man is.

GreenArmyyy!
29-08-2013, 10:51 PM
He's here! He's there!......... You guys know the rest. And it's Rangers 0 Hibernian 3 and all three from the twenty-three year old from Northern Ireland!

ballengeich
29-08-2013, 11:32 PM
When he came back for his second spell with us I thought his pace had gone. When he joined Ross County I realised I had been wrong and that our manager hadn't used his ability effectively.

When he scored the winner against us for Ross County I was in the Hibs' end. He'd done his job but didn't rub it into those of us who were behind the goal - that's class.

givescotlandfreedom
30-08-2013, 12:30 AM
But Ivan is a right winger, pat insisted on playing him on the left. No shock he is doing the business at county, on the right.

:agree: we've nothing better now.

Billy McKirdy
30-08-2013, 06:27 AM

I would take him back a third time, no hesitation ;-)

hibee_girl
30-08-2013, 06:39 AM
I love Ivan, I really hope we get a chance to give him a great reception on Saturday.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2013, 06:50 AM
He is one of my favorite players of all time, just because 1st time round he got me off my seat more than 99% of the players i have seen in my time watching Hibs.

He just had that something special, and he cared. He did not do it for me 2nd time round, and it was right he moved on when he did in my opinion.

There have been many better players at Hibs, and many better wingers. Yet he just put a smile on my face, and was part of the team that won us the cup.

Its for those reasons imo he deserves a cheer when he returns.

Craig_in_Prague
30-08-2013, 08:05 AM
He is one of my favorite players of all time, just because 1st time round he got me off my seat more than 99% of the players i have seen in my time watching Hibs.

He just had that something special, and he cared. He did not do it for me 2nd time round, and it was right he moved on when he did in my opinion.

There have been many better players at Hibs, and many better wingers. Yet he just put a smile on my face, and was part of the team that won us the cup.

Totally agree.

I said in the past and it's still my feelings on Ivan, but when he was with us 1st time, he was 'raw' and didn't appear to 'think' too much and that's what made him exciting and unpredictable. I think as he's got older he appears to 'think' too much on the ball and in the end he would end up stopping, cutting back, and basically lost the unpredictable, exciting edge on his game.

just my thoughts and whilst he never had the ability as others, he generated excitement and actually produced a lot of good stuff for us in his 1st spell. I was delighted on cup final day when I heard he was starting, I thought he troubled them especially 1st half and his pace always meant teams had to at least worry about him...

anyway, top guy and wish him nothing but all the best on the pitch and off.

here's here, here's there!

Stevie Reid
30-08-2013, 08:39 AM
That's a kinda polite version of events.

TM told me that Garry asked "What's that wee C gonnae dae that ah couldnae?"

:greengrin

Not hard to believe, JB!

hibsbollah
30-08-2013, 08:43 AM

:top marks

DaveF
30-08-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't normally acknowledge ex players back at ER but I will make an exception for Ivan.

He was brilliant for us 1st time around. A genuinely exciting player who gave everything he had for the club and the fans.

I hope he loses tomorrow but I hope we fans give him the ovation he thoroughly deserves.

Bostonhibby
30-08-2013, 01:58 PM

This.