PDA

View Full Version : Best player in Scotland

lucky
28-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Who does everyone think is the best player in Scotland? For me its eithe Scot Brown or Chris Commons.

Carheenlea
28-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Probably one of the Hearts youngsters.

07hibee
28-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Gary McKay Stevens for me

eastterrace
28-08-2013, 08:30 PM
naw they are all pish

weonlywon6-2
28-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Who does everyone think is the best player in Scotland? For me its eithe Scot Brown or Chris Commons.

Scot brown or the celtic goal keeper i would say.
To be honest,there aint many decent players at all

Aldo
28-08-2013, 08:39 PM
On his game Stokes is an excellent player.

Swedish hibee
28-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Broony and McKay Stevens

erin go bragh
28-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Boozy (Alex Harris)

Ggtth

sleeping giant
28-08-2013, 08:43 PM

:agree:

stoneyburn hibs
28-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Samaras, but there really isn't a lot to choose from

AlbertK86
28-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Brown best all round

Mackay Stevens most skilful

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Stokes when he plays like tonight and in our cup final takes some stopping. Still gutted that he saved his best form of the season for Hampden :-(

robinp
28-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I dont know who this guy Gary Mackay Stevens is, but Gary Mackay-Steven is going to be mighty miffed!

Carheenlea
28-08-2013, 09:05 PM

I think it would be fair to say that Anthony Stokes is quite underrated.

Bronson
28-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Scott Brown for me, cracking player and just dictates everything, miss seeing him in a hibs shirt. Having said that, Mackay Steven is brilliant and Kris Commons showed tonight what he is capable of. Let's not forget how good Thommo is, Prem quality player on his day. Would have to say Stokes is a class act as well.

sadtom
28-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Scott Broon. Country mile.

gackohibs
28-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Colin Nish

Northernhibee
28-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Shame Kuqi's retired.

frazeHFC
28-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Right now Stokes or Mulgrew, in 3 years Stuart Armstrong if he's still in the league.

Wilson
28-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Danny Handling.

Unseen work
28-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Right now Stokes or Mulgrew, in 3 years Stuart Armstrong if he's still in the league.

Personally don't rate or see what some people do in Armstrong. I know alot of united fans that don't see the craze with him too.

I think if griffiths was still here it would be him though, don't think anyone in the spl can do what he can with a ball at his feet. Right now...for me there's no one that really stands out for me. Browns a very good player but you don't see it in the spl playing against rubbish teams, you would see the best of brown if he moved to a premiership team, you see it in the champions league and for Scotland what a great player he can be.

Col2
28-08-2013, 10:18 PM
David van zanten

Spudster
28-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Amazed people are saying Brown, shadow of the player that left Hibs. Always think Strachan turned what could of been Gazza (the football side :) ) into Neil Lennon.

Most exciting player for me is MacKay-Steven. Best all round player IMO Charlie Mulgrew, shows how poor the league is just now.

California-Hibs
28-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Amazed people are saying Brown, shadow of the player that left Hibs. Always think Strachan turned what could of been Gazza (the football side :) ) into Neil Lennon.

Most exciting player for me is MacKay-Steven. Best all round player IMO Charlie Mulgrew, shows how poor the league is just now.

Disagree strongly with this, a myth that alot of Hibs fans like to jump on if there ever was one! Brown is still an outstanding player, and the games he's played in, caps he's achieved, and goals he's scored, proves this. I actually think he controls a game just as well/slightly better now than when he was with us. Don't get me wrong, he was incredible when he was with us, but he's a better allround player now IMO.

frazeHFC
28-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Personally don't rate or see what some people do in Armstrong. I know alot of united fans that don't see the craze with him too.

I think if griffiths was still here it would be him though, don't think anyone in the spl can do what he can with a ball at his feet. Right now...for me there's no one that really stands out for me. Browns a very good player but you don't see it in the spl playing against rubbish teams, you would see the best of brown if he moved to a premiership team, you see it in the champions league and for Scotland what a great player he can be.

Only seen him 4 or 5 times for Utd and Scotland U21s but he's really impressed me anyway. The 2-2 game at Tannadice he was excellant. Whether he does it every week or not i'm not sure.

stoneyburn hibs
28-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Only seen him 4 or 5 times for Utd and Scotland U21s but he's really impressed me anyway. The 2-2 game at Tannadice he was excellant. Whether he does it every week or not i'm not sure.

Would agree with you regarding Armstrong, think he is going to be an excellent player.

Billychaotic182
28-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I think Billy McKay is a cracking player as is Scott Brown and Adam Matthews. But the best player has to be GMS. So skilful and so young. If he stays injury free I can see him playing at the top.

Sir David Gray
28-08-2013, 11:42 PM

Broony and McKay Stevens

Brown best all round

Mackay Stevens most skilful

:shocked: It's MACKAY-STEVEN.

Gary Mackay-Steven!

Not Mackay-Stevens. :furious:

:greengrin

neilmartinrocks
28-08-2013, 11:50 PM

Gary Mackay-Steven!

Any relation tae the boy who plays for the Arabs? :greengrin

Bay Area Hibees
29-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Disagree strongly with this, a myth that alot of Hibs fans like to jump on if there ever was one! Brown is still an outstanding player, and the games he's played in, caps he's achieved, and goals he's scored, proves this. I actually think he controls a game just as well/slightly better now than when he was with us. Don't get me wrong, he was incredible when he was with us, but he's a better allround player now IMO.

Yep agree with you, great player for us great for them. He was never really going be a dynamic box box player even if he did that from time time including great win @ parkhead.

Like see see him in epl (surely more epl than Steven Dobbie).

Judas Iscariot
29-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Kevin Thomson

GlenrothesHibee
29-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Scott Brown for me. I would love to see him at a Spurs or Arsenal. Fantastic player.

LioNeilMessi
29-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Gary Mackay-Steven.. The same player that has been useless when playing against right back Lewis Stevenson? He's a very skillfull player but he's definitely not the best player in the country, not at the moment at least. Also a light breeze seems to be enough to knock him over.

Anthony Stokes is the best player imo.

Steve20
29-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Scott Brown for me. I would love to see him at a Spurs or Arsenal. Fantastic player.

No way could Scott Brown make it at Spurs or Arsenal. They've far too many real quality players in their teams.

The_Horde
29-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Lampard seemed impressed with brown from an interview I seem after the Scotland game. I'd say it's brown by a stretch! Would love to see him play in the prem.

Iceman1875
29-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Scott Brown is the best. Top drawer SPL players for me are Commons, Mulgrew, Flood, Thomson, Brittain, Murray Davidson, Mackay-Steven and McKay at Inverness.

silverhibee
29-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Kris Boyd.

LongshanksED
29-08-2013, 11:28 AM
David Badwillie!

lord bunberry
29-08-2013, 11:29 AM

I agree that brown is an outstanding player, but I feel that celtic have turned him into a completely different player to the one that left hibs. Imo he was the best of the golden generation and he should be playing for a top end premiership team. I don't know how much of that is down to injury, but at hibs he was an exciting box to box midfielder who had pace and skill. If you look at his contribution to the second of Ivan sproules hat trick at Ibrox you can see what he had then that he doesn't have now.

The Sea-gull
29-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Saying who the best player is is always tough as so many factors come it to it and can go for/against someone. For example, the best players tend to play for the best teams but somethimes coz they are surrounded by top talent it can make their life easier and make them look better where as a good player in a poor or average team could be argued as being better as they have to work harder.

Also, it is always harsh on goal keepers and defenders as they are often over looked for forwards and midfielders for these sort of things.

Best player in the Scottish Premiership, based on their performances and consistency in the Premiership in recent times would be Chris Commons or Scott Brown for me.

Either of those would win it based on players who would be most likely be able to hack it in better leagues though Commons didn't take the English top flight by storm at any point and Brown appears unwilling to move to a better league/plus teams appear unwilling to take him there.

Don't think we really have many true top players in Scotland now. Haven't had since the Old Firm's big spending days of the late 90s and early 00s.

Diclonius
29-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Gary Mackay-Steven!

Gary Mackay-Stevenson?

rosco-hibee
29-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I'd agree that Scott Brown is probably the best player in Scotland just now, he covered every blade of grass against the English.

I hate to say it, but that boy Holt for the Yams looks like he could turn out to be a decent player - he was meant to be interesting the likes of Nottingham Forest, but not sure what's happening with that...

steakbake
29-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Saying who the best player is is always tough as so many factors come it to it and can go for/against someone. For example, the best players tend to play for the best teams but somethimes coz they are surrounded by top talent it can make their life easier and make them look better where as a good player in a poor or average team could be argued as being better as they have to work harder.

Also, it is always harsh on goal keepers and defenders as they are often over looked for forwards and midfielders for these sort of things.

Best player in the Scottish Premiership, based on their performances and consistency in the Premiership in recent times would be Chris Commons or Scott Brown for me.

Either of those would win it based on players who would be most likely be able to hack it in better leagues though Commons didn't take the English top flight by storm at any point and Brown appears unwilling to move to a better league/plus teams appear unwilling to take him there.

Don't think we really have many true top players in Scotland now. Haven't had since the Old Firm's big spending days of the late 90s and early 00s.

I think it's because good players now generally move on.

Scotland can produce excellent players, but the fact is that bigger fish nearby pick them up and take them down south as opposed to them staying to play in our leagues.

Look at Stevie May at the Saints - Peterborough (and apparently others) are interested in picking him up as a talented prospect, but he's barely kicked a ball for Saints and been out on loan to two lower division sides.

Even Leigh Griffiths to a point - he was on loan with us but Wolves picked him up as a prospect from Dundee.

The Sea-gull
29-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I agree that brown is an outstanding player, but I feel that celtic have turned him into a completely different player to the one that left hibs. Imo he was the best of the golden generation and he should be playing for a top end premiership team. I don't know how much of that is down to injury, but at hibs he was an exciting box to box midfielder who had pace and skill. If you look at his contribution to the second of Ivan sproules hat trick at Ibrox you can see what he had then that he doesn't have now.

:agree: Brown has been decent for Celtic and matured as a player but for me hasn't fulfiled what I think was massive potential when he was at Hibs.

Maybe a lot of it is down to injury and just him growing from boy to man in a footballing sense but I feel a lot of what was good about him at Hibs has completely been knocked out of him and he has not been the driving box to box player we had.

In fairness to him, he has become a better central midfield player at Celtic and has grown into a player who is well respected.

Unless he moves to England or abroad to one of the decent European leagues, there will always be questions about wthere he could hack it regularly with the best. Think the fact that he hasn't gone shows the lack of confidence he and others have with his fitness and how he could handle the rigours of a top league.

Jones28
29-08-2013, 12:33 PM
GMS, without a shadow of a doubt.

A harder question would be who is the best Scottish player anywhere?

Squealing pig
29-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Mulgrew for me.

frazeHFC
29-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I'd agree that Scott Brown is probably the best player in Scotland just now, he covered every blade of grass against the English.

I hate to say it, but that boy Holt for the Yams looks like he could turn out to be a decent player - he was meant to be interesting the likes of Nottingham Forest, but not sure what's happening with that...

They offered £75k but Hearts value him at £10m. :tee hee:

GreenCastle
29-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Gary McKay Steven?

Are people serious ?

Yes - he's up and coming and has potential to develop but don't think he's the best in Scotland at the moment.

Celtic probably have the best players - with any from Derk Boerrigter (decent for Ajax) , Scott Brown, Emilio Izaguirre, or Kayal the best in the league.

Stokes is one of the best finishers - just not sure about most influential / best all round players in the league.

Fergus52
29-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I actually think GMS is a bit over-rated.

There's no doubt he's a great talent and one of the best in the league outside celtic.

He dives and cheats alot and not even effectively. I've also seen Lewis Stevenson get the better of him over the course of a match twice.

Stevie Reid
29-08-2013, 01:14 PM
It's a really good question given the current state of Scottish football.

Given his ability to score with either foot from distance, I would go with Commons also, can win a match in a second. 36 goals in 81 starts for Celtic is pretty phenomenal for someone who isn't an out and out striker.

Jonnyboy
29-08-2013, 06:13 PM
To think we could have signed GMS except Colin Deadwood didn't rate him highly enough

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2013, 06:19 PM

This

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2013, 06:27 PM
naw they are all pish

:yawn: .... Cheers mate, first time in over 2,000 posts I've felt moved to use a yawn smilie.

snooky
29-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Easily Scott Brown
He could have matured into the new Paul Scholes at Man U.
Doing okay at Celtc but could/should have done much better.
IMO, best player of the GG.

VickMackie
29-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Easily Scott Brown
He could have matured into the new Paul Scholes at Man U.
Doing okay at Celtc but could/should have done much better.
IMO, best player of the GG.

New Paul scholes :faf:

essexhibee
29-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Scott Brown.

Outplayed Wilshere and Gerrard for long periods in the recent game at Wembley. Nuff said.

snooky
29-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Yeh, I thought it was funny too :wink:

vercol36
29-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Kris Commons. Not sure if he'll get another chance in the EPL at this point in his career, but I'm sure he'd fit right in with a club like Southampton or Swansea. Exciting player to watch, even though his belly is sometimes a bit too apparent.

Bostonhibby
29-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Agree, hilarious, the new Scholes is surely the Yams Jason Holt, has to be the only player in Scotland worth £10m. Surely Forest or anyone else won't get him for less than that now they have officially valued his potential?

lumbo_hfc
29-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Seriously can't believe people are saying Mulgrew, easily the most over-rated player in the league.

On his day there is hardly any stopping Samaras but he is far too inconsistent, saving his best games for europe.

So it would have to be Scott Brown for me. Complete midfielder who could cut it in the EPL but probably at a mid table team!

Jonny1875
29-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Scott Brown or Izaguirre

Unseen work
30-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Don't think GMS is anywhere near the best in the league. He gets alot more recognition for doing a bit of ridiculous skill every couple of months. Alot of my united fans yes think he's good but too much of a show pony at times. They all rave about the new youngsters Gauld and Souter though.

IWasThere2016
30-08-2013, 06:52 AM

Armstrong's a fine player but the Arabs have better in Gauld and (especially IMHO) in Soutar.

Best is Scott Brown IMHO but Stokes is no far behind.