PDA

View Full Version : scottish media is biased for sure?

doddsy
27-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Are there any fair minded unbiased journalists around? I find it very difficult to listen to any scottish football

programmes or phone ins without noticing blatant hearts bias or anti hibs hysteria. Is it just me or have I got a point.

A prime example is the Tam Cowan show who seems to have turned from a Motherwell fan with laughs and viewpoints about all teams

into a placard waving mouth foaming jambo and always wants to talk favourably about them. Please dont merge this as I want to

find out if other hi bees feel the sam or not.

LioNeilMessi
27-08-2013, 12:07 PM
You could always rely on Jim Traynor to offer a solid, well founded, unbias view. But unfortunately he's out the journalism game just now:boo hoo:

clerriehibs
27-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Bathgate in the Scotsman; last week was a divisive piece about Fenlon and Hibs. This week it was a call to the arms for the yam faithful.

He's never credited Hibs for being well run, and never taken the likes of southern to task for being a lying, cheating, thieving crook.

I wish Petrie would start sticking up for himself and Hibs by starting any conversation with "well, compared to our neighbours... "

Ross4356
27-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Are there any fair minded unbiased journalists around? I find it very difficult to listen to any scottish football

programmes or phone ins without noticing blatant hearts bias or anti hibs hysteria. Is it just me or have I got a point.

A prime example is the Tam Cowan show who seems to have turned from a Motherwell fan with laughs and viewpoints about all teams

into a placard waving mouth foaming jambo and always wants to talk favourably about them. Please dont merge this as I want to

You sound like a Tim

yeezus.
27-08-2013, 12:25 PM
You sound like a Tim

:agree: Next there will be a masonic conspiracy against us :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Was the grenade lobbed with pin in or out ?

Glesgahibby
27-08-2013, 12:37 PM

:top marks
Sportsceen on sunday night sums you're post up well.
our highlights showed our goals and missed our other chances,an offside goal and any other positives.
the panel also felt killie should have won the game.(nothing about a good comeback)
when it came to hearts jammy win,they heaped praise and great club,bla,bla,bla.
(plenty about fight back,team sprit )
John Robertson,Allan Preston,Peter Houston and Derek ferguson(ex hearts)
The rest Richard Gordon,John Barnes and the fuds that do the commentaries for radio and tv have blatantly showed there "hatred"yes"hatred" of hibs since yogi got the bullet.

marinello59
27-08-2013, 12:45 PM
And we thought the Celtic fans were paranoid.

steakbake
27-08-2013, 12:51 PM
As with sport, so with politics: journalists/commentators etc all have their various angles and perspectives on things The media is not impartial, particularly not where there is a news cycle and a need to spin out coverage into yards of paper and ink.

A crisis at Hibs gives sports journalists a free hand to talk up an apparent crisis, or to analyse it or whatever. Similarly with a financial crisis - never mind that Hearts have brought it on themselves - it's all about the story of the recovery, the will they/won't they stay up and the spirit of the fans.

Don't confuse a free press with an unbiased one or one that doesn't work to some kind of news cycle agenda.

LeithBoozy
27-08-2013, 12:55 PM
:top marks
Sportsceen on sunday night sums you're post up well.
our highlights showed our goals and missed our other chances,an offside goal and any other positives.
the panel also felt killie should have won the game.(nothing about a good comeback)
when it came to hearts jammy win,they heaped praise and great club,bla,bla,bla.
(plenty about fight back,team sprit )
John Robertson,Allan Preston,Peter Houston and Derek ferguson(ex hearts)
The rest Richard Gordon,John Barnes and the fuds that do the commentaries for radio and tv have blatantly showed there "hatred"yes"hatred" of hibs since yogi got the bullet.
I think Glesgahibby has a fair point, certainly no one has really nailed Hearts bumping their own charities ect. I think if they had got any more corrupt, they would have dug-up Elliott Ness and the untouchables. :wink:

Stan the Man
27-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I agree with what you are saying, but would add that we should try use this to our advantage.

Best example of this I can remember is fergie while boss at Aberdeen creating a massive siege mentality.

I don't think we are going to get much or any good will from the current msm and to be honsst I wouldn't really want it now.

Us v the rest....... bring it on!!!!!

Glesgahibby
27-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Yip,it's quite ironic that there paranoid views helped expose the media with there breeks down
when it came to the rangersgate/Murrayloan/whitewash/Armageddon saga

Keith_M
27-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I agree with what you are saying, but would add that we should try use this to our advantage.

Best example of this I can remember is fergie while boss at Aberdeen creating a massive siege mentality.

I don't think we are going to get much or any good will from the current msm and to be honsst I wouldn't really want it now.

Us v the rest....... bring it on!!!!!

We already have Celtc and T'Rangers making out the world is against them. I'm not sure there's a gap in the market.

Dashing Bob S
27-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Scottish football operates on sectarian lines, and unfortunately, although we have nothing to do with that pish, we are cast in the role of 'the Celtic they can openly sneer at' with the Yams being portrayed as 'the Rangers they can openly excuse' by most of the media. They are now pretty scared to dig at the OF as they are too big and their fan bases now too organised in a social media era; able to cripple any moribund journal through boycotting it. So journos, admins and refs dig at us, as the 'immigrant' club, and brown-nose Hearts as the 'establishment' club.

I know it runs the risk of 'Celtic paranoia' accusations, and part of would me would hate Hibs to go that way, but our 'quiet dignity' approach in this house of flatulent liars just clearly isn't working. I'd like to see our board being far more outspoken and combative with the powers that be - it might even rub off on the players.

Elephant Stone
27-08-2013, 01:08 PM
When we were playing good football under Mowbray and Collins the press were never hesitant to notice that and talk us up. Since then, by and large, we've been tragically *****. Have you seen the amount of abuse Hibs get on this website? Are Hibs.net biased against us as well?

You'll see a change in reporting when we start getting better, hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. I couldn't care less what the press are reporting about Hearts. It seems to be mostly patronising and condescending anyway, you should enjoy that if you do care so much. Cheer up.

Alex Trager
27-08-2013, 01:14 PM
I think Glesgahibby has a fair point, certainly no one has really nailed Hearts bumping their own charities ect. I think if they had got any more corrupt, they would have dug-up Elliott Ness and the untouchables. :wink:

We tried to have a dig at them
With a banner for tynecastle but it was not allowed in by the police. Off topic but still

Caversham Green
27-08-2013, 01:20 PM
As if to prove the op right...

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/anthony-brown-hearts-are-united-like-never-before-1-3062778

Does anyone recognise the club this guy's wittering on about?

Fergus52
27-08-2013, 01:24 PM

The OP has a point though, the media always big up hearts more than us.

Don't think there's anything paranoid about noticing what is a slight, but obvious bias in the media.

The sportscene post is a great example, if you watch the highlights of our games they always miss out good chances we've had.

I've also been at games at ER and counted the number of shots and shots on target we've had, only to check on the BBC count after the game and it to be far less.

Stevie Reid
27-08-2013, 01:32 PM
In the last 8 years we have traded our way out of £18M debt, built a training centre and completed ER to a superb standard. In that time we also won a national trophy - our squad that day contained 7 young Scottish players and cost around £400K to assemble. We beat a team that finished above us in the league 5-1.

During the same time, Hearts have traded their way into approximately £60M worth of debt, and many small football clubs, charities and businesses have been screwed out of money - they also employed a convicted sex offender, and continued to employ a paedophile who was convicted whilst a first team player; in both cases Romanov made inappropriate and insensitive statements that caused outrage to the respective victims and their families.

Their stadium is a crumbling embarrassment, and they owe thousands in rent for the training centre they use. In that time they have won two national trophies, beating a 2nd division team on penalties and us, who avoided relegation in our 37th game of the season - their squads in those two finals contributed to wage bills that were several times those of any other clubs in Scotland bar the OF, and in the latter final, involved players whose signings bent the rules so much, that the rules had to be changed to prevent them cheating further. I could write much, much more.

Despite all this, there is absolutely no doubt that the way the media portrays the two clubs is like night and day, with us continually taking a kicking.

Kato
27-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Scottish football operates on sectarian lines, and unfortunately, although we have nothing to do with that pish, we are cast in the role of 'the Celtic they can openly sneer at' with the Yams being portrayed as 'the Rangers they can openly excuse' by most of the media. They are now pretty scared to dig at the OF as they are too big and their fan bases now too organised in a social media era; able to cripple any moribund journal through boycotting it. So journos, admins and refs dig at us, as the 'immigrant' club, and brown-nose Hearts as the 'establishment' club.

I know it runs the risk of 'Celtic paranoia' accusations, and part of would me would hate Hibs to go that way, but our 'quiet dignity' approach in this house of flatulent liars just clearly isn't working. I'd like to see our board being far more outspoken and combative with the powers that be - it might even rub off on the players.

A pretty accurate and unhysterical description, imho.

When we were playing good football under Mowbray and Collins the press were never hesitant to notice that and talk us up.

Not quite true. While some of the press were reasonably quick to pick up on Hibs resurgence with Mowbray the BBC (radio and telly) were very reluctant to give Hibs any credit. Especially on TV the way Hibs were reported on was pretty low key until TM's second season.

Since Collins left the BBC has seen the "Big Story" as Petrie's departure - we will be slagged off by them until that happens.

Stevie Reid
27-08-2013, 01:41 PM

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/anthony-brown-hearts-are-united-like-never-before-1-3062778

To save hits on the site, here's the most ridiculous section: -

Thankfully, there has been a significant sea-change at Tynecastle since Romanov and his hapless cohorts departed the scene. The cleansing process is well under way and already it is a notably fresher place.
Most fans have stopped moaning about the world being out to get their club. There seems to have been a general acceptance that the media were, in hindsight, right to question Romanov’s running of the club, pretty much from the moment George Burley was unforgivably sacked eight years ago.
Despite the talk of a “siege mentality”, Hearts’ people have generally accepted their medicine in terms of the points deduction and signing embargo, in stark contrast to Rangers, who have displayed a sense of injustice at pretty much every sanction handed down to them.
To their eternal credit, instead of feeling sorry for themselves, Hearts have simply endeavoured to work their own way out of their grim predicament. Led by a perfect figurehead in the charismatic and driven Gary Locke, Hearts have been united like never before and it is manifesting itself in some of their most memorable moments of the modern era. Fans are falling in love with their club all over again. Meanwhile, other young supporters are getting the chance to live the dream by playing for their boyhood idols, a chance they might not otherwise have got. And, thus far, they don’t look out of place.
This remarkable battle against crippling adversity, is providing the most uplifting story in Scottish football this season. All the nonsense of the Romanov years is in the past and the wider football fraternity appears to be warming to Hearts again, to the point where many neutrals are rooting for them to succeed in their mission improbable.
The club has been stripped right back to the bare bones, but thankfully there is still a good heart there.

SaulGoodman
27-08-2013, 01:42 PM

If that journo was any further up the Yams ***** he'd be coming out their mouth.

God Petrie
27-08-2013, 01:55 PM
That article reads like the yams were disgusted with Romanov and wanted him out - complete revisionist pish.

Pete
27-08-2013, 02:14 PM
In the last 8 years we have traded our way out of £18M debt, built a training centre and completed ER to a superb standard. In that time we also won a national trophy - our squad that day contained 7 young Scottish players and cost around £400K to assemble. We beat a team that finished above us in the league 5-1.

During the same time, Hearts have traded their way into approximately £60M worth of debt, and many small football clubs, charities and businesses have been screwed out of money - they also employed a convicted sex offender, and continued to employ a paedophile who was convicted whilst a first team player; in both cases Romanov made inappropriate and insensitive statements that caused outrage to the respective victims and their families.

Their stadium is a crumbling embarrassment, and they owe thousands in rent for the training centre they use. In that time they have won two national trophies, beating a 2nd division team on penalties and us, who avoided relegation in our 37th game of the season - their squads in those two finals contributed to wage bills that were several times those of any other clubs in Scotland bar the OF, and in the latter final, involved players whose signings bent the rules so much, that the rules had to be changed to prevent them cheating further. I could write much, much more.

Despite all this, there is absolutely no doubt that the way the media portrays the two clubs is like night and day, with us continually taking a kicking.

Excellent post.

I wish someone at the Scotsman had the balls to write a piece based on these facts. It might give its readership a more accurate, balanced picture of our two situations.

It would probably not do them any good to burst this "big team" myth though.

James70
27-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Certainly Chick Young in his Daily Express weekly column has stuck the knife into Hibs a couple of times in the last few weeks.

After the Scotland disaster against England in the U21 match where there were a few Hearts players involved I'm sure, he came out and said it was Hibs place to embarrass Scotland, not the place of the U21 team.

Hibs have never been given credit by the media for all the ground improvements etc but have constantly been slagged for only spending within our means. Although Hibs results and performances have certainly been terrible the last few years it is our neighbours and their big brothers from the west that have brought major embarrassment to Scottish football.

Deansy
27-08-2013, 02:38 PM
As someone elsewhere has mentioned, I feel that it's Hibs attitude that results in us being given poor coverage - I mean, the club doesn't even tell it's own fans what's going on let alone the media !. I genuinely think Hibs feel that dealing with the media is below them and that probably hacks a lot of them off. Do we even have a 'Public Relations' dept or spokesperson ??.

jacomo
27-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Thankfully, there has been a significant sea-change at Tynecastle since Romanov and his hapless cohorts departed the scene. The cleansing process is well under way and already it is a notably fresher place.
Most fans have stopped moaning about the world being out to get their club. There seems to have been a general acceptance that the media were, in hindsight, right to question Romanov’s running of the club, pretty much from the moment George Burley was unforgivably sacked eight years ago.
Despite the talk of a “siege mentality”, Hearts’ people have generally accepted their medicine in terms of the points deduction and signing embargo, in stark contrast to Rangers, who have displayed a sense of injustice at pretty much every sanction handed down to them.
To their eternal credit, instead of feeling sorry for themselves, Hearts have simply endeavoured to work their own way out of their grim predicament. Led by a perfect figurehead in the charismatic and driven Gary Locke, Hearts have been united like never before and it is manifesting itself in some of their most memorable moments of the modern era. Fans are falling in love with their club all over again. Meanwhile, other young supporters are getting the chance to live the dream by playing for their boyhood idols, a chance they might not otherwise have got. And, thus far, they don’t look out of place.
This remarkable battle against crippling adversity, is providing the most uplifting story in Scottish football this season. All the nonsense of the Romanov years is in the past and the wider football fraternity appears to be warming to Hearts again, to the point where many neutrals are rooting for them to succeed in their mission improbable.
The club has been stripped right back to the bare bones, but thankfully there is still a good heart there.

If the Jambos have become a little chastened by recent events then that is no bad thing. I don't see a great deal of class or humility myself.

VivaHiberña
27-08-2013, 03:13 PM

:faf: :faf: :faf: Let them believe that pish if they want! The intelligent yams will know deep down it's bull**** and the rest thought as much already.

In a more general sense, maybe we do take a bit more flak than other clubs but we do make our selves an easy target for several of the reasons above. Overall though, who cares? We aren't going to pay heed to their nonsense, the Yams will take the piss out of us regardless (as we will with them) and I doubt the rest of Scotland's supporters really care that much what either Edinburgh team is up to. (That said there always seems to be a lot of goodwill on Pie and Bovril (http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/) for Hibs whenever we get to a cup final.)

So let's let them have their fun. The press will back a winner and until we change on the pitch they aren't going to change off it.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Not much wrong with that TBH, pretty much desribes what has happened over there IMO whether you like it or not.

Stevie Reid
27-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Not much wrong with that TBH, pretty much desribes what has happened over there IMO whether you like it or not.

I am in way denying that on the playing side Gary Locke has done very well thus far this season, and they clearly have been galvanised (in their two home games at least) so far.

However, there is a fair amount of revisionism there, and the following is just plain bollocks: -

This remarkable battle against crippling adversity, is providing the most uplifting story in Scottish football this season.

All the nonsense of the Romanov years is in the past and the wider football fraternity appears to be warming to Hearts again, to the point where many neutrals are rooting for them to succeed in their mission improbable.

Hearts have been united like never before and it is manifesting itself in some of their most memorable moments of the modern era.

Southern's open letter and the majority of Brown's 'article' are pure propaganda.

BarneyK
27-08-2013, 03:39 PM
When we were playing good football under Mowbray and Collins the press were never hesitant to notice that and talk us up. Since then, by and large, we've been tragically *****. Have you seen the amount of abuse Hibs get on this website? Are Hibs.net biased against us as well?

You'll see a change in reporting when we start getting better, hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. I couldn't care less what the press are reporting about Hearts. It seems to be mostly patronising and condescending anyway, you should enjoy that if you do care so much. Cheer up.

:agree: I actually agree with this whilst still find the OP to have a valid point. In fact, it's kind of like the media are acting like a jilted lover in the whole affair. I remember well the superlatives that were heaped on our team back then and now it just seems like they are quite bitter now that we don't play that way anymore. Personally I just find it a bit bizarre rather than sinister.

The Green Goblin
27-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't think they are biased, it's just that they're not very good. Too many of them happy to trot out tired cliches forever and avoid upsetting their pals. There are one or two exceptions to that though imho.

Pete
27-08-2013, 03:41 PM
"Many neutrals are rooting for them to succeed"

That's the comment that confirms the delusion. A few slushy articles and a few chats with visiting fans in pubs and they think that all the arrogance and cheating has been forgotten about and they whole world is behind them.

The truth is that I'm afraid it isn't just hibs fans moaning, the whole of Scottish football absolutely detests them. Maybe hearts fans should try asking others about the situation without revealing their allegiance. They should also try reading all the other teams message boards and threads on hearts.
A few of them have actually said they don't like hearts because all they seem to do is try and put down their city rivals. Well done, you've basically summed them up what they've been about from day one of their existence.

basehibby
27-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Certainly not Hertz anyway.... - "The pride, dignity and humility which the club had become synonymous with down the years"

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Someone should tell the guy that the Fringe finished at the weekend

VivaHiberña
27-08-2013, 04:01 PM
From the hertz meltdown thread:

Tbf it has been a good start by hearts (still raging we lost that game). Are you expecting a pundit to just come out and say "Actually I hope that disgrace of a club die and don't come back in any way shape or form. They've cheated their way to, marginal, success and left behind a list of creditors including charities. Such disgusting actions can only be rightly punished by disappearing from Scottish football and never having the privalige to grace the senior game again. I hope they die!"
Sadly that just isn't going to happen. As much as we want it to...

There are a couple of decent journos out there, but too many are afraid of stepping on toes.

For example, Tom English is 99% of the time one of the few journalists in Scotland who is fair, impartial and actually writes quite well. This is why I was pretty taken aback to see his name on a few articles praising the name of the HMFC Ltd/Clubs 9 Sports bid. This was eventually explained by the fact that he's good friends with some of the people involved. A clear example of good journalism held back by not wanting to upset folk.

Of course, there are also the Barrys* and Bathgates of the world who write what they want to believe and just aren't very good at their jobs.

*Speaking of which, is Barry still in a job? I've not seen his name in the EEN in a while.

JimBHibees
27-08-2013, 04:03 PM

A quite staggering comment. :rolleyes:

Caversham Green
27-08-2013, 04:18 PM

It's rather clumsily intended to stir up goodwill towards HoMFC - a club that's about to cheat the taxpayers out of the thick end of £2m - and it's one of a series of articles to do so in the last few weeks. When was the last article you saw praising Pat Fenlon, Hibs fans and the fact that our club unrelentingly pays its dues?

basehibby
27-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I think there's a general feeling amongst the press that they don't want to kick a club when it's down and they'll therefore report favourably on the attempts to save Hertz from going down the pan - in much the same way as they did with Dunfermline and, to some extent, Rangers recently.

That said, the likes of the ridiculous article posted above are just blatant propoganda - with Jambo journos such as this Anthony Brown joker apparently going into overdrive in an attempt to stiffle the disgraceful truth of Hearts' predicament with a pompous fluffy froth of sugar coated flannel.

The majority though just don't seem to want to kick the limping scabby old dog that is HoMFC while it's down and out and wandering about whining for handouts.

There are some exceptions of course, such as the weird ****-witted wannabe comic that is Tam Cowan, who seems to believe that expressing sympathy for Hearts' self-imposed predicament somehow forgives Motherwell, who similarly left many creditors potless some years back.

As for media attitudes to Hibs, there ARE SOME journos out there who genuinely seem to take pleasure in our discomfort, or at least in the case of the Weegia, have a condescendingly dismissive attitude towards us (along with any other team from East of Airdie for that matter). But I think the majority have a fairly neutral stance perhaps coloured by the often stony faced and tight lipped attitude to the press of the club hierarchy so that sympathy is in short supply when things aint going so rosy.

Alfred E Newman
As someone elsewhere has mentioned, I feel that it's Hibs attitude that results in us being given poor coverage - I mean, the club doesn't even tell it's own fans what's going on let alone the media !. I genuinely think Hibs feel that dealing with the media is below them and that probably hacks a lot of them off. Do we even have a 'Public Relations' dept or spokesperson ??.

I have long felt that our PR is poor. Maybe it is
because we don't have a manager , chairman or owner that is happy to spout the pish the journos want to hear.
Along with most on here I was calling for Fenlons head but given the dreadful treatment he is receiving from the Muppets in the press and on the radio I hope he manages to turn it round and survive just to spite the twats.

vercol36
Quite shocked to see the amount of people who actually agree with the OP, whose post is so ridiculous that I am fairly certain he must be a yam. Most Scottish football media is favourable towards Hibs on the whole, perhaps more so than we deserve. Any negative mention of Hibs is usually justified...we have been gash since the Mowbray era, with very few high points since 2007. Dry your eyes, boys. Every team gets their share of celebration and ridicule. Have a read at the EEN if you want to feel good about the club...so pro-Hibs that the only yam I know refuses to buy it!

Waxy
27-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Quite shocked to see the amount of people who actually agree with the OP, whose post is so ridiculous that I am fairly certain he must be a yam. Most Scottish football media is favourable towards Hibs on the whole, perhaps more so than we deserve. Any negative mention of Hibs is usually justified...we have been gash since the Mowbray era, with very few high points since 2007. Dry your eyes, boys. Every team gets their share of celebration and ridicule. Have a read at the EEN if you want to feel good about the club...so pro-Hibs that the only yam I know refuses to buy it!so whats it like in the parallel universe?

vercol36
27-08-2013, 04:30 PM
so whats it like in the parallel universe?

In the universe that's free from moronic conspiracy theories? It's grand, thanks.

Hexham Hibee
27-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Have you noticed the team summaries behind the team badges in the Daily Rantic/sport/football?

The yams one begins "ended 2011/12 by beating......." and ours "haven't won the Scottish cup since 1902...". WTF

Even an obviously west coast biased paper leans towards them and still sticks the knife into us in such a petty way. Did Tam Cowan write these things?

Since the 'Well piece begins "Won the greatest ever Scottish cup final 4-3....." it must have been!!!!

vercol36
27-08-2013, 04:37 PM
:paranoid:

And where are the illuminati in all of this?!

Pete
27-08-2013, 04:44 PM
In the universe that's free from moronic conspiracy theories? It's grand, thanks.

So your way of thinking is that the news is pro-hibs and most of the negative stuff they write is totally justified. It's so offensively bias that jambos refuse to buy it. Riiight.

Most hibs fans I know and actually read the paper would describe that, and your mates attitude, as moronic.

vercol36
27-08-2013, 04:52 PM
So your way of thinking is that the news is pro-hibs and most of the negative stuff they write is totally justified. It's so offensively bias that jambos refuse to buy it. Riiight.

Most hibs fans I know and actually read the paper would describe that, and your mates attitude, as moronic.

No...most Scottish football media condemns our failures but supports our aspirations. In my opinion, we are seen as a quirky club, supported by a good amount of otherwise neutral fans... 'Everybody's second team,' as it were. To suggest that there is some sort of conspiracy against us is ludicrous. Firstly, we are not big and offensive enough to be the target of a concerted hate campaign. Secondly, the thought of Scottish football journalists gathering together and thinking up ways to belittle us is verging on the paranoia levels of a UFO-spotter.

Theories about media bias are regularly seen on Bears Den and Kerrydale Street forums. To see them now on Hibs.net is disappointing.

Kato
27-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Ooh, get you.

vercol36
27-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Ooh, get you.

Good post, thanks for contributing. You think the big baddies in the press hate our guts too, huh?

Pete
27-08-2013, 05:10 PM
No...most Scottish football media condemns our failures but supports our aspirations. In my opinion, we are seen as a quirky club, supported by a good amount of otherwise neutral fans... 'Everybody's second team,' as it were. To suggest that there is some sort of conspiracy against us is ludicrous. Firstly, we are not big and offensive enough to be the target of a concerted hate campaign. Secondly, the thought of Scottish football journalists gathering together and thinking up ways to belittle us is verging on the paranoia levels of a UFO-spotter.

Theories about media bias are regularly seen on Bears Den and Kerrydale Street forums. To see them now on Hibs.net is disappointing.

I agree that there are no deliberate conspiracy theories as such and it's definitely not in their interests to show any type of bias.

I think outlets like the Scotsman, the news and BBC radio have created the impression of anti nibs sentiments simply because there are so many pro-hearts faces and opinions. They try and be even-handed but it seeps through.

What really gets me is anyone suggesting the media are anti-hearts in any way. I can't listen to sport sound any more or pick up a Holyrood paper as it stinks of yam. People like Preston, Robertson, Anderson, Bathgate and this new twat are constantly at it.

It's the hearts fans who think the world is against them who are living on the planet zog.

vercol36
27-08-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree that there are no deliberate conspiracy theories as such and it's definitely not in their interests to show any type of bias.

I think outlets like the Scotsman, the news and BBC radio have created the impression of anti nibs sentiments simply because there are so many pro-hearts faces and opinions. They try and be even-handed but it seeps through.

What really gets me is anyone suggesting the media are anti-hearts in any way. I can't listen to sport sound any more or pick up a Holyrood paper as it stinks of yam. People like Preston, Robertson, Anderson, Bathgate and this new twat are constantly at it.

It's the hearts fans who think the world is against them who are living on the planet zog.

Fair enough, but I've always seen the Scotsman as being fair to both clubs and the EEN being pro-Hibs, if anything. In fact, don't the mouth-breathers at Kickback call it the Evening Hobo? I'm annoyed that I don't have a copy with me just now, but I'm sure there are the same amount - if not, more - journalists who are Hibbies than Jambos.

Waxy
27-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Fair enough, but I've always seen the Scotsman as being fair to both clubs and the EEN being pro-Hibs, if anything. In fact, don't the mouth-breathers at Kickback call it the Evening Hobo? I'm annoyed that I don't have a copy with me just now, but I'm sure there are the same amount - if not, more - journalists who are Hibbies than Jambos.Haven't you seen the free FOH adverts in the EEN recently?

Kato
27-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Good post, thanks for contributing. You think the big baddies in the press hate our guts too, huh?

If you had read the thread properly you would have already seen my views.

We all have different perceptions and ways of looking at things. Some agree with the OP some not.

You're the only one slinging words like "moronic" around - which was actually a rubbish contribution, hence the sarcy post.

Who else is moronic in your view?

---------

A way way back but does anyone remember the likes of Archie MacPherson in the Sunday Mail or Mike (watshisname-jambo-journalist-golf-writer) saying Hibs fans should give up on saving the club during the Mercer take over as Hibs had been "badly run" and it made "business sense"? Don't see the equivalent of those opinions on the subject of Hearts.

Pete
27-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Fair enough, but I've always seen the Scotsman as being fair to both clubs and the EEN being pro-Hibs, if anything. In fact, don't the mouth-breathers at Kickback call it the Evening Hobo? I'm annoyed that I don't have a copy with me just now, but I'm sure there are the same amount - if not, more - journalists who are Hibbies than Jambos.

If there are then it certainly doesn't show.

As for "evening hobo"...I refer you back to my comment about planet zog.

:-)

Kato
27-08-2013, 05:22 PM
....BBC....They try and be even-handed but it seeps through.

Like the unstifled, unchecked laughter and cheering whenever Hibs lose a goal. That does tend to seep a bit.

Kato
27-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm annoyed that I don't have a copy with me just now, but I'm sure there are the same amount - if not, more - journalists who are Hibbies than Jambos.

..surely you can name them?

ancient hibee
27-08-2013, 05:52 PM

I agree 100% with your first para.Unfortunately this is not enough for many Hibs fans particularly the most vocal on here who want the board to go.The press reflect the views of these supporters.I have never seen the club and officials criticised in the press as badly as they are on here.

connerg
27-08-2013, 05:59 PM

:agree: I agree with you. I don't watch, read or listen to Scottish football coverage anymore. I go to Hibs games to get my football fix.

Pete
27-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Like the unstifled, unchecked laughter and cheering whenever Hibs lose a goal. That does tend to seep a bit.

BBC Sportsound.

Yams reporting from three of five games.

Southern given ten minutes of airtime to get the begging bowl out and tell us how fantastic hearts are and how they need to be saved.

**** off!

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2013, 06:42 PM
BBC Sportsound.

Yams reporting from three of five games.

Southern given ten minutes of airtime to get the begging bowl out and tell us how fantastic hearts are and how they need to be saved.

**** off!

Grow a pair ffs.

Part/Time Supporter
27-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Here's a radical suggestion: why don't Hibs win a few games? FFS Aberdeen won two games and the way the media were going on I thought they were going to challenge Celtic for the league. Oddly enough Pittodrie was full for their game against Celtic. Not that it did them much good on the park, mind. As pointed out above Hibs got a (perhaps unduly) good press when Mowbray and Collins were in charge, with Chick Young being particularly effusive.

Pete
27-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Grow a pair ffs.

Eh?

Are you sure you've replied to the correct post?

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Eh?

Are you sure you've replied to the correct post?

Not sure if you were being serious about Sportsound tonight but you knew Robertson and Preston would be on and they said Southern would be on at the start so if you hate it so much why listen then come on here moaning about it :confused:

I just think all this moaning about the media is cringeworthy. There is far worse written about Fenlon / Petrie / Hibs on here than in any paper.

Make no mistake, if we were top of the league having won our opening 3 games they would be praising RP to high heaven saying how he led us through tough times, made difficult decisions and are now seeing the benefit in stark contrast to the mess over the road.

But he haven't, we've played gash and they've reported accordingly.

lord bunberry
27-08-2013, 07:43 PM

The most obvious thing wrong with it is that it describes gary locke as being charismatic.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Haven't listened to Tam Cowan for a while but I disagree about the media being anti-Hibs. There are several reasons Hearts have more media coverage than us at the moment, most of them involve their club being an absolute shambles.

The scottish football media definitely has an old firm bias. Been like that for years and can't see it ever changing.

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't know about any anti Hibs agenda, but they are all mostly pro corruption with their blatant disregard to why the gimps are in this predicament?

vercol36
27-08-2013, 08:27 PM
..surely you can name them?

Surely? Why? I don't tend to memorise the names of journalists...but off the top of my head, there's Aiden something who wrote Sipping Bovril from the Devil's Cup. And David Hardie is a name that comes to mind. And there's that brunette girl. The only regular jambo one I can think of is that ginger guy. Is he the conspiratorial mastermind?

Part/Time Supporter
27-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I don't know about any anti Hibs agenda, but they are all mostly pro corruption with their blatant disregard to why the gimps are in this predicament?

For something to be covered in a balanced fashion, you need somebody publicly arguing the opposite case. Hearts' PR operation is basically pushing at an open door because nobody will argue that they should be liquidated. Nor is it in anyone's interests to do so. If and when it happens you would get more balanced coverage because there would be nobody there to argue their case.

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2013, 08:39 PM
For something to be covered in a balanced fashion, you need somebody publicly arguing the opposite case. Hearts' PR operation is basically pushing at an open door because nobody will argue that they should be liquidated. Nor is it in anyone's interests to do so. If and when it happens you would get more balanced coverage because there would be nobody there to argue their case.

Whenever someone has pointed out what they have done, these commentators cut them short or agree then move on and completely contradict what they have just agreed previously.

I'm not even talking about liquidation here, its this fawning sympathy thats sweeping the media all over the country, and the complete disregard of what they have actually done to get them to this predicament they are in now.

Where are these peoples morals?:confused:

Pete
27-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Not sure if you were being serious about Sportsound tonight but you knew Robertson and Preston would be on and they said Southern would be on at the start so if you hate it so much why listen then come on here moaning about it :confused:

I just think all this moaning about the media is cringeworthy. There is far worse written about Fenlon / Petrie / Hibs on here than in any paper.

Make no mistake, if we were top of the league having won our opening 3 games they would be praising RP to high heaven saying how he led us through tough times, made difficult decisions and are now seeing the benefit in stark contrast to the mess over the road.

But he haven't, we've played gash and they've reported accordingly.

As far as Sportsound goes I listen because I have no choice if I want to hear updates in the Scottish football. It's our national broadcaster which we all pay for and I expect less yams and more impartially for my money.

This is a hibs fans website, not a national media outlet and you're going to get emotional reactions on the subject of hearts and our board.

If you are that sensitive that a hibs fan being annoyed about the obvious amount of hearts influences on the BBC affects you then maybe you need to take your own advice.

johnrebus
27-08-2013, 10:50 PM
The baw is well and truly burst.

Scottish football is dead, the only activity is the sound of the earth being shovelled onto the coffin.

As far as Hibs are concerned? Well, Rod Petrie is the undertaker.....,

Miguel
27-08-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm a journalist (****, it's like saying I'm an alcoholic).
As far as the tabloids are concerned, the Old Firm are the story: they have the largest audience, and so coverage is angled towards them as it sells more papers.
In terms of the broadsheets, there's more of an east-west split.
Local daily papers have to big up their teams, again for community/sales reasons and the likes of Barry Anderson and David Hardie (a Rangers fan) are just doing their jobs.
In terms of radio and telly, there is a 'punderati', which does seem to have substantial Hearts (and Aberdeen) elements - a lot of the latter, Willie Miller and Richard Gordon for example, are overhangs from Aberdeen's glory days - you get the same phenomenon on BBC with ex-Liverpool players. The Hearts mutts like Preston, I don't really get why they are there. Having said that, I think Michael Stewart has been a decent, recent addition.
Overall, with the exception of Mark Daly at the BBC, the investigative quality in interesting times has been poor in recent seasons. Succulent lamb played a part, but disappointing that some of the reporters who cut their teeth on fanzines in the 1980s couldn't step up to the plate.
These guys, like refs, got into writing because of their passion for football and there is a 'fans with typewriters' element to it: so you will get bias, even among those who try to be balanced.
One last thing: Some of the coverage of 'wee teams' in their local papers is superb, and way above the quality of some of their big brothers: credit where it's due.

Kato
28-08-2013, 12:09 AM
The only regular jambo one I can think of is that ginger guy. Is he the conspiratorial mastermind?

Oh stop being silly.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
28-08-2013, 05:47 AM
I agree with the guys who dont think there is some sort of active conspiracy, but i also agree that we do get a very poor press.

The media is just an industry, and if you make jpurnalists job easier for them, they will look more fvourably upon you. In my view, many journos dont like us because we simply dont cooperate with them the way that some of the others do. The culture from Petrie down is not suited to media 'leaks' and 'club insiders' givinh them tid bits.

On the contrary, it seems quite obvious to me that davbid southern has been feeding the media for some time, hence the complete lack of holding him to account for fronting a £1m ripping off of Hearts fans.

Overall, i think its galling that we (and particular Petrie) get a harder time from the media for doing things right and not spending money we dont have or robbing the taxpayer and charities (euphemism - 'showing ambition') than Hearts have at any time for cheating for years. i think that is undeniable, and shows the perversity of football.

Two other poins though - i agree that Hibs media strategy is flawed, and in my view we should be using this and the current Hearts situation to rally and build a stronger identity amongst our own fans, and to be a bit more robust - we are too dignified, unfortunately fitba doesnt reward dignity, it tramples on it. Our club was founded in adversity more than probably any other club in Scottish football history (hope thats not too much Jack Alexander-esque hyperbole... :wink:) and i want to see us continue to fight and scrap and defend our position, and stick up for ourselves more - to me, this does all feed into the perception that we are soft touches.

But also, we have to remember that whether we think the media is biased or not, we all defintely are, and we should remember that when we judge others for not sticking the knife into Hearts the way we would like to see it.

I also agree that it is poor from the BBC that so many ex-players get jobs doing a profession for which many have no trainign and no aptitude (some of them sound like four yeard-olds tryign to read their match reports), and also that you can have such blatant fans of one team commentating on a game - surely Preston and Robbo should havr to cover games where they dont have any loyalties - how annoyign must it be for non-Hearts fans when Preston in particular, is covering your game against hearts?

PeeJay
28-08-2013, 07:03 AM
I agree with the guys who dont think there is some sort of active conspiracy, but i also agree that we do get a very poor press.

Overall, i think its galling that we (and particular Petrie) get a harder time from the media for doing things right and not spending money we dont have or robbing the taxpayer and charities (euphemism - 'showing ambition') than Hearts have at any time for cheating for years. i think that is undeniable, and shows the perversity of football.

I don't know ... in years to come people will look back at the statistics tables and see which clubs won which titles or cups - they won't be looking at any balance sheets or perceived stances on morality - if we want better media, we have to start delivering as a club - ON THE FIELD - it's a really simple concept: it's nothing to do with the spin regarding media bias etc. some fans are putting on it. We get poor press (if that is indeed the case) because we are "not very good at what we are supposed to be doing" - if we get better, we'll get better press. There is no conspiracy, not everyone is against us, the other clubs are not all cheats - it all comes down to us as a club. Petrie thinks a healthy balance sheet is the prime directive, he thinks Fenlon can a manage our football team, he has a 5 year plan (although what it is and when it starts and ends no-one knows): our problems are not the media - they are all on our own doorstep. If things are to change, that's the place to start making changes.

Brightside
28-08-2013, 07:20 AM
I couldnt care less about who the media support, and i have no idea why it would bother Hibs fans. We have enough to worry about in our own club without trying to blame sports writers etc.

clerriehibs
28-08-2013, 07:28 AM
I couldnt care less about who the media support, and i have no idea why it would bother Hibs fans. We have enough to worry about in our own club without trying to blame sports writers etc.

Obviously you never read any sport media articles, then. If it's not going to bother you in any way, what's the point in reading them?

rcarter1
28-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Agree that we shouldnt worry about what the press writes. the Hearts situation is a sport journalists dream come true. Young team, up against it, cant sign back up, points penalty, digging out some unlikely wins.
This is all jolly good stuff to write about from a sporting perspective. If Hibs get bad press, maybe its because in 90 minutes football you might see a few shots at goal. We are boring. Furthermore the Malmo result was the worst in Scottish (European) history, hardly a reason to wax lyrical about how well run we are, or the value of financial prudence.

On the administration/financial doping side of things it is very disappointing that there has not been some more incisive and informed analysis of it all, but I suspect most of the football writers are well out of their depth trying to analyse this.

truehibernian
28-08-2013, 07:49 AM

I think it all boils down to professional standards and integrity for me underscore - the BBC pride themselves on their investigatory journalism and delving into the murkier waters of organistations and institutions. It took a Channel 4 journalist to start digging into the The Rangers mess before certain people up this neck of the woods in the media got restless - even then none of them dared venture into the unknown territory of 'journalism'. They are all, after all said and done, broadcasters and opinionists these days - absolutely none of them are what I would call 'journalists'. In typically Scottish fashion the kick the quarry repeatedly and leave the predator in peace !

The hypocrisy, the misguided sycophancy, the lies and the fear of upsetting the game's powerbrokers are what makes Scottish football journalism a laughing stock.

Take bigotry and sectarianism for example - the media could have a monumental part to play in eradicating it, not only from the game, but in society. 'The Rangers' and Celtic, for the past 2 or 3 seasons, have been seen and heard flaunting the laws put in place to deter it - what have the media reported on this subject ? Maybe, if you are lucky, some lines in amongst the game report - not one banner headline, not one full week's criticism of their fans, their club, no pressure on UEFA or FIFA, no in depth interviews and really difficult questions for Doncaster and Regan..........if the media went along the lines of 'this is repulsive behaviour and these clubs must be punished to make a real difference' then we may see the tide turning in society.........but nah, it's the 'Big 2' and all you hear about is the 'good' that they are doing to rid the game of it.......utter nonsense if you ask me. Celtic may earn £40 million or so from this seasons campaigns and from transfers.............how about financially penalising them for persistent sectarian singing ? The Rangers away games are a chorus of vile bigotry - again, how about banning their fans from home games - of course they won't, and the media would never look like supporting the idea. Then there is Jim Traynor - a bigger hypocrite you won't see. Was he not critical of Rod avoiding the media (rightly so I have to admit). Then he himself hides from the media in his new role at The Rangers and casts out blame whenever he can to the very hands that fed him before he took up that post at Ibrox !

The Hearts situation - again, the media have gone down the 'we can't let another Scottish club die' angle, when previously they went with 'Romanov's mad' and 'Hearts are a laughing stock' - there has been no scrutiny or criticism of Southern for his insistent 'we are self sustaining' before they went into Admin, no questioning as to why, when they knew it would happen, they stalled it long enough so that Dundee would be the fall guys and be relegated - blatant cheating right until the end. Fans cheated out of their cash through shares, Romanov missing, signing players in the same week they lay off long term staff...........not a squeak from the media about this. Instead they allow a platform for the likes of Preston, Robbo and Southern to talk utter nonsense about Hearts. Days before admin Robbo was saying he understood Hearts would still have the second biggest budget available in the SPL for god's sake !

Scottish football journalism is like the Scottish national team - they have one thing in common in that they are consistently poor.

JimBHibees
28-08-2013, 09:00 AM
I think it all boils down to professional standards and integrity for me underscore - the BBC pride themselves on their investigatory journalism and delving into the murkier waters of organistations and institutions. It took a Channel 4 journalist to start digging into the The Rangers mess before certain people up this neck of the woods in the media got restless - even then none of them dared venture into the unknown territory of 'journalism'. They are all, after all said and done, broadcasters and opinionists these days - absolutely none of them are what I would call 'journalists'. In typically Scottish fashion the kick the quarry repeatedly and leave the predator in peace !

The hypocrisy, the misguided sycophancy, the lies and the fear of upsetting the game's powerbrokers are what makes Scottish football journalism a laughing stock.

Take bigotry and sectarianism for example - the media could have a monumental part to play in eradicating it, not only from the game, but in society. 'The Rangers' and Celtic, for the past 2 or 3 seasons, have been seen and heard flaunting the laws put in place to deter it - what have the media reported on this subject ? Maybe, if you are lucky, some lines in amongst the game report - not one banner headline, not one full week's criticism of their fans, their club, no pressure on UEFA or FIFA, no in depth interviews and really difficult questions for Doncaster and Regan..........if the media went along the lines of 'this is repulsive behaviour and these clubs must be punished to make a real difference' then we may see the tide turning in society.........but nah, it's the 'Big 2' and all you hear about is the 'good' that they are doing to rid the game of it.......utter nonsense if you ask me. Celtic may earn £40 million or so from this seasons campaigns and from transfers.............how about financially penalising them for persistent sectarian singing ? The Rangers away games are a chorus of vile bigotry - again, how about banning their fans from home games - of course they won't, and the media would never look like supporting the idea. Then there is Jim Traynor - a bigger hypocrite you won't see. Was he not critical of Rod avoiding the media (rightly so I have to admit). Then he himself hides from the media in his new role at The Rangers and casts out blame whenever he can to the very hands that fed him before he took up that post at Ibrox !

The Hearts situation - again, the media have gone down the 'we can't let another Scottish club die' angle, when previously they went with 'Romanov's mad' and 'Hearts are a laughing stock' - there has been no scrutiny or criticism of Southern for his insistent 'we are self sustaining' before they went into Admin, no questioning as to why, when they knew it would happen, they stalled it long enough so that Dundee would be the fall guys and be relegated - blatant cheating right until the end. Fans cheated out of their cash through shares, Romanov missing, signing players in the same week they lay off long term staff...........not a squeak from the media about this. Instead they allow a platform for the likes of Preston, Robbo and Southern to talk utter nonsense about Hearts. Days before admin Robbo was saying he understood Hearts would still have the second biggest budget available in the SPL for god's sake !

Scottish football journalism is like the Scottish national team - they have one thing in common in that they are consistently poor.

Excellent post agree with all of that. The fear and morally repugnant weakness and corruption in the press has been there for all to see particularly with the Rangers situation. The only reporter with a backbone was Alex Thompson and he summed it up with his succulent lamb summation.

The BBC with the Robbo and Biscuits yam show is to me a joke and one or preferably both should be moved on to pastures new. One thing is for sure if they were as biased against one of the OF as they are allowed to be about Hibs then they would have been out the door in a week. Hibs to an extent IMO dont help themselves with not speaking out a bit more. One example IMO was the Sparky derby disallowed goal, Hibs IMO should have went to town on that listing all the really dodgy decisions given against them in derbies in recent years.

truehibernian
28-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Excellent post agree with all of that. The fear and morally repugnant weakness and corruption in the press has been there for all to see particularly with the Rangers situation. The only reporter with a backbone was Alex Thompson and he summed it up with his succulent lamb summation.

The BBC with the Robbo and Biscuits yam show is to me a joke and one or preferably both should be moved on to pastures new. One thing is for sure if they were as biased against one of the OF as they are allowed to be about Hibs then they would have been out the door in a week. Hibs to an extent IMO dont help themselves with not speaking out a bit more. One example IMO was the Sparky derby disallowed goal, Hibs IMO should have went to town on that listing all the really dodgy decisions given against them in derbies in recent years.

Jim - it was an absolute embarrassment that when AT started his investigation into The Rangers and the 'succulent lamb' story, rather than take this as a metaphorical kick up the backside and go out and prove their worth, prove AT was wrong in his cynicism of Scottish media, and that they had journalistic skills and talent at uncovering a story, Keevins, Jackson, Traynor, English et al decided to circle the wagons and deflect the criticism raining in on them, rather than do their job and investigate The Rangers properly - there was so much self interest, collective protection of their circle and a real real lack of integrity and professionalism - Keevins in particular annoyed me throughout that affair. The man has no class and no dignity - again, I never ever refer to these guys as journalists because they are not. They are guys who write their opinion and broadcast it just as we do on these wonderful messageboards- they wouldn't know a story if it presented itself at their office with a huge banner saying 'I'm the story'.

clerriehibs
28-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Agree that we shouldnt worry about what the press writes. the Hearts situation is a sport journalists dream come true. Young team, up against it, cant sign back up, points penalty, digging out some unlikely wins.
This is all jolly good stuff to write about from a sporting perspective. If Hibs get bad press, maybe its because in 90 minutes football you might see a few shots at goal. We are boring. Furthermore the Malmo result was the worst in Scottish (European) history, hardly a reason to wax lyrical about how well run we are, or the value of financial prudence.

On the administration/financial doping side of things it is very disappointing that there has not been some more incisive and informed analysis of it all, but I suspect most of the football writers are well out of their depth trying to analyse this.

Investigative journalism exists in any other sport so far as cheating is concerned. It's just as much a story as the young team up against it blah blah blah

doddsy
28-08-2013, 10:36 AM
there have been some fantastic well made points to this thread, I feel vindicated after listening to bbc sports sound last night and

hearing fat jambo Allan Preston who ate all the pies sighing when one of the hearts players missed a penalty last night. Even Richard Gordon

commented on it. It is disgusting that sportsound has turned into the old pals act by employing mainly Jambos to commentate.

Scottish football needs a complete break as well from the likes of especially chick young, greechan, hugh keevins, and most of the other foaming at the

mouth self delusional idiots that poison scottish football. there must be more young non biased, non bigoted and fair minded people brought in.

And don t be afraid to speak out as things will never change by staying silent.

truehibernian
28-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Investigative journalism exists in any other sport so far as cheating is concerned. It's just as much a story as the young team up against it blah blah blah

It does clerrie, I agree - but it can also depend on what 'barriers' are in the way, which you only need to look at the Lance Armstrong case to see how difficult it can be to expose (high monetary value litigation threats, huge huge sponsorship deals, underhand agreements, etc etc).

Jim Traynor sent a piece to Craig Whyte for his 'approval' for god's sake - that tells us everything you need to know about Scottish 'journalists' in my opinion. They don't have a spine between them.

JimBHibees
28-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Jim - it was an absolute embarrassment that when AT started his investigation into The Rangers and the 'succulent lamb' story, rather than take this as a metaphorical kick up the backside and go out and prove their worth, prove AT was wrong in his cynicism of Scottish media, and that they had journalistic skills and talent at uncovering a story, Keevins, Jackson, Traynor, English et al decided to circle the wagons and deflect the criticism raining in on them, rather than do their job and investigate The Rangers properly - there was so much self interest, collective protection of their circle and a real real lack of integrity and professionalism - Keevins in particular annoyed me throughout that affair. The man has no class and no dignity - again, I never ever refer to these guys as journalists because they are not. They are guys who write their opinion and broadcast it just as we do on these wonderful messageboards- they wouldn't know a story if it presented itself at their office with a huge banner saying 'I'm the story'.

Agree they would only do the story if they got the nod from Murray park to do so. The story that Traynor sent Craig Whyte an article for him to ok sums it up perfectly. Agree about Keevins his desperate defence of Ogilvie was embarressing and sycophantic in the extreme. 'He is one of the most honest men I know'. Like he would know one.

JimBHibees
28-08-2013, 10:43 AM
It does clerrie, I agree - but it can also depend on what 'barriers' are in the way, which you only need to look at the Lance Armstrong case to see how difficult it can be to expose (high monetary value litigation threats, huge huge sponsorship deals, underhand agreements, etc etc).

Jim Traynor sent a piece to Craig Whyte for his 'approval' for god's sake - that tells us everything you need to know about Scottish 'journalists' in my opinion. They don't have a spine between them.

Just mentioned that in another post. It really does say it all.

Stevie Reid
28-08-2013, 10:49 AM
A prime example is the Tam Cowan show who seems to have turned from a Motherwell fan with laughs and viewpoints about all teams into a placard waving mouth foaming jambo and always wants to talk favourably about them..

I (foolishly) read his article written after our cup final defeat to Celtic again yesterday, still makes my blood boil. Far, far worse than anything written after the Malmo game - which was a genuine, inescapable, out and out embarrassment - IMO.

JimBHibees
29-08-2013, 09:17 AM
I (foolishly) read his article written after our cup final defeat to Celtic again yesterday, still makes my blood boil. Far, far worse than anything written after the Malmo game - which was a genuine, inescapable, out and out embarrassment - IMO.

Havent read the article but did Motherwell not lose to Celtic in a cup final recently with a similar score line, bet he wasnt so critical of their performance.

Stevie Reid
29-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Havent read the article but did Motherwell not lose to Celtic in a cup final recently with a similar score line, bet he wasnt so critical of their performance.

Correct Jim (they also lost their previous final appearance 5-1, to Rangers). Such was my ire at the time I looked back at his cup final diary from that 2011 final, and he somehow managed to spare Motherwell such criticism.

FWIW, Motherwell finished top 6 that season, and Celtic weren't champions.

poolman
29-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Aye........

The Yams have always been associated with pride, humility and dignity :rolleyes:

Beggars belief

Dobosz83
29-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I just don't do the media in Scotland at all.

I attend Easter Road when Hibs are at home and don't get to very many away games. The radio is never on in the car either on the way to the game or after.

I don't buy any newspapers, visit any sites, or listen to that garbage that is 'Off the Ball' with the unfunny trumpet who presents it. He's had enough mentions in this thread.

I'll watch Hibs in person, on Sky Sports/ESPN/BT Sports and use Goals on Sunday to catch the goals. I use this site and www.HibernianFC.co.uk (http://www.HibernianFC.co.uk) for all my info/match reports.

I've done this since Hugh Keevins made a comment prior to an Edinburgh derby where he said "If Hearts beat Hibs yet again, they should get to keep them" followed by hysterical laughter at his own pathetic 'joke'. I already couldn't stand the man after an anti Hibs rant during the Collins era a few years before but that was it for me.

Have to say, I don't miss it. Doesn't sound like much has changed either. IMO, over the years we've not helped in making ourselves an easy target. They don't even appear to balance it out.

Paperboy
29-08-2013, 12:04 PM

I know for a fact Anthony Brown is a Hearts fan. Not a reader of the Evening News but do they have a journalist (apart from John Gibson!) whose a Hibs fan and writes about they're favourite team with a bit of bias and passion?

The Sea-gull
29-08-2013, 12:20 PM

I'm sure he mentioned it somewhere or someone pulled up an article he had written post the Motherwell defeat to Celtic in 2011. He was quite critical of his team though not as critical as he was of Hibs. To be expected though as he isn't going to entirely boot his own team and it seems fashionable in certain parts of the media to be scathing or just down right laugh at all things Hibs just now.

Don't have a huge problem with Tam Cowan's stuff on us post cup final. He's not a real journalist or a serious broadcaster in my book. I wouldn't even describe him as a comedian. Columnist and light entertainment presenter I suppose. He's a sort of "shock jock" and he is just writing something that will attract the majority of his readers and often to do this you encourage enjoyment of the minority's misfortune. He does say some erse-hole esq things at times but hard to know whith these guys if that is what they really mean or if they are playing it for shock value or "laughs".

Where Motherwell are concerned, with the type of "journalism" he does and the fact that he is open about his support, it would be hard for him to write an unbiased piece about them and similarly so about other teams as we all know who he supports.