PDA

View Full Version : Ross Caldwell and Sam Stanton

Bronson
26-08-2013, 05:31 PM
First of all Caldwell. Why has he found game time so hard to come by this season? Really thought he'd kick on from last season and push his way into the first 11 but he's not had a sniff. Find it strange considering how much we struggled for goals and the lad clearly knows where the net is. He's by no means the finished article and I would rather have Vine and Collins if all 3 were on form, but 20-30 mins as a sub every week could really help him adapt to first team football and become a real player for us in years to come.

Now Stanton. I see he's been forcing his way into Pat's thoughts recently, but as we're crying out for a creative winger, why not give him more of a crack at the whip? He seems to just get 5-10 mins here and there and that's not enough to have a real impact on the game. Seems to have good feet and a quick turn of pace from what I've seen. Let's not forget this lad was supposed to make the breakthrough before Harris until he got injured so if he's anything close to what Harris has then we would carry a real threat going forward. Especially seeing as he's an unknown quantity to opposing teams.

Just a thought, not one for playing a team of youth but I do believe developing players through the academy is the way forward.

TheFamous1875
26-08-2013, 07:21 PM
First of all Caldwell. Why has he found game time so hard to come by this season? Really thought he'd kick on from last season and push his way into the first 11 but he's not had a sniff. Find it strange considering how much we struggled for goals and the lad clearly knows where the net is. He's by no means the finished article and I would rather have Vine and Collins if all 3 were on form, but 20-30 mins as a sub every week could really help him adapt to first team football and become a real player for us in years to come.

Now Stanton. I see he's been forcing his way into Pat's thoughts recently, but as we're crying out for a creative winger, why not give him more of a crack at the whip? He seems to just get 5-10 mins here and there and that's not enough to have a real impact on the game. Seems to have good feet and a quick turn of pace from what I've seen. Let's not forget this lad was supposed to make the breakthrough before Harris until he got injured so if he's anything close to what Harris has then we would carry a real threat going forward. Especially seeing as he's an unknown quantity to opposing teams.

Just a thought, not one for playing a team of youth but I do believe developing players through the academy is the way forward.

Absolutely agree with both points regarding these young players, although I can also see that maybe Fenlon doesn't want them coming into a losing team, getting on the wrong side of the fans and stunting their development. I would like to see more of Stanton as he looks good, and I believe Caldwell has earned more game time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bronson
26-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I can understand that cause ER can be a brutal place for a losing hibs team (rightfully so seeing as how poor product we've recieved on the pitch in recent years). Nevertheless, Harris took the Falkirk game by the scruff of the neck and had it not been for him god knows what would have happened. Sometimes these young players who play with no fear are ideal for lifting poor morale and results. If they are fearless that is...

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2013, 11:29 PM

Yes. Way past time to give them a chance.

Dunderhall
27-08-2013, 12:46 AM
I can understand that cause ER can be a brutal place for a losing hibs team (rightfully so seeing as how poor product we've recieved on the pitch in recent years). Nevertheless, Harris took the Falkirk game by the scruff of the neck and had it not been for him god knows what would have happened. Sometimes these young players who play with no fear are ideal for lifting poor morale and results. If they are fearless that is...

I've said on a number of threads that I think Caldwell should be getting more league game time.
He did at the end of last season and showed enough promise, IMO youngsters who are trying tend to avoid the barracking at ER.
I like the potential of Stanton as well, he seems more in Pat's thoughts just now.
I'd like to think Pat was protecting them just now, but I'm not convinced this is the case.

JOD
27-08-2013, 03:18 AM
Srry guys these are things we would we would luve to do if we could. Pat given the famous vote of confi from the board means he has got even less time. When your job is on the line Caldwell/Stanton would be the least of my worries .Lets gie Pat a break. :pfgwa

Unseen work
27-08-2013, 06:17 AM

IMO although a really good player isn't the same type as Harris so wouldn't impact the game the way he did. Everytime iv seen him for under 20s he's been centre mid pulling the strings. When he's came on at left mid first team he has looked neat and tidy on the ball, very good feet. Has anyone seen him play left mid regularly?

As for Caldwell he just has to be patient, in a way I think Fenlon is protecting him a bit as I feel alot of fans now have this big expectation on him after scoring 2 very good goals that he will do it week in week out. His time will come

Bronson
27-08-2013, 06:48 AM
IMO although a really good player isn't the same type as Harris so wouldn't impact the game the way he did. Everytime iv seen him for under 20s he's been centre mid pulling the strings. When he's came on at left mid first team he has looked neat and tidy on the ball, very good feet. Has anyone seen him play left mid regularly?

As for Caldwell he just has to be patient, in a way I think Fenlon is protecting him a bit as I feel alot of fans now have this big expectation on him after scoring 2 very good goals that he will do it week in week out. His time will come

Never watch the 20s so I have no idea what Stanton is like for them, I just assumed he was a winger since that's where he had been brought on every time as a sub. Foolish of me really, he could be a goalie for all I know but Pat just thinks he could 'do a job' on the wing :wink:

RyeSloan
27-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Never watch the 20s so I have no idea what Stanton is like for them, I just assumed he was a winger since that's where he had been brought on every time as a sub. Foolish of me really, he could be a goalie for all I know but Pat just thinks he could 'do a job' on the wing :wink:

Pat bashing is all the rage I know but it's very very common for younger players to get game time in the 1st team out of position. Pretty sure Fletcher played wide for quite a while before finally getting established as the main CF.

Unseen work
27-08-2013, 07:12 AM

Hahah very true! You may be right mate just on the occasions iv seen them he's been almost a playmaker type. Although against Aberdeen under 20s I couldn't get my head round what sort of formation they were playing at all. Although again.... That could be pats influence;)

PeterboroHibee
27-08-2013, 07:27 AM

I dont see any rush with these guys to be honest, and one of Fenlons good points with Hibs has been giving young players a chance. Also, both of these guys came on at the weekend, it may not have been for the 20-30 minutes that some people are looking for, but they are both only 19, if they perform in the cameos they get, they will start to come into the team more and more.

Specifically on Stanton, I dont think he looks like a winger when Ive seen him play. Just because he fits that position better than others in the squad doesnt mean thats where he should be played. He looks more of a central, attacking midfielder in my opinion.

Stevie Reid
27-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Pat bashing is all the rage I know but it's very very common for younger players to get game time in the 1st team out of position. Pretty sure Fletcher played wide for quite a while before finally getting established as the main CF.

:agree:

I know you're talking about Steven Fletcher, but I'm pretty sure that Alex Ferguson played Darren Fletcher at right midfield for a good many of his first Man Utd appearances before moving him to centre mid, apparently to allow him to get used to the physicality of the EPL.

Stevie Reid
27-08-2013, 08:36 AM
I dont see any rush with these guys to be honest, and one of Fenlons good points with Hibs has been giving young players a chance. Also, both of these guys came on at the weekend, it may not have been for the 20-30 minutes that some people are looking for, but they are both only 19, if they perform in the cameos they get, they will start to come into the team more and more.

Specifically on Stanton, I dont think he looks like a winger when Ive seen him play. Just because he fits that position better than others in the squad doesnt mean thats where he should be played. He looks more of a central, attacking midfielder in my opinion.

I agree with this. Both have looked good at times, with Caldwell's finishes against St. Mirren and Hearts being particularly impressive, but neither came close to the impact that Harris made, and many on here thought that we were overly reliant on him despite his impressive performances (something I do not agree with, incidentally).

We have two main strikers who scored a good number of goals last year, and we should give them more time to get it together. I think Pat has utilised Caldwell and Handling well so far in their Hibs careers.

Billy Whizz
27-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I personally think Pat has given all the young players a decent chance over the last year or so.
Players like Harris, Stanton, Caldwell, Forster, Handling and even Horribine on Saturday, have all had a run out in recent times. He brings them in for a run, then leaves them out for a bit. All part of their development in my opinion

Fergus52
27-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I personally think Pat has given all the young players a decent chance over the last year or so.
Players like Harris, Stanton, Caldwell, Forster, Handling and even Horribine on Saturday, have all had a run out in recent times. He brings them in for a run, then leaves them out for a bit. All part of their development in my opinion

Yeah, I agree with this.

Hibrandenburg
28-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Agree, give them a taste and leave them hungry for more.