PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Season

rcarter1
25-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Now that we have a win on the board, what are people now hoping for/expecting from the League season?

Hope: 4-5th
Expect: 7-8th

BoltonHibee
25-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Hope 2nd
Expect 10/11th

marinello59
25-08-2013, 12:36 PM
If Fenlon is still in charge I expect us to finish in the bottom six. I hope he proves me wrong and takes us to a Euro spot which is the minimum we should be achieving in this poor league.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2013, 12:37 PM
If Fenlon is still in charge I expect us to finish in the bottom six. I hope he proves me wrong and takes us to a Euro spot which is the minimum we should be achieving in this poor league.

:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-08-2013, 12:38 PM

I concur.

lord bunberry
25-08-2013, 12:44 PM
If we continue to play the same style of football we have so far we could finish 2nd and I still wouldn't want to watch it. I'm hoping we can get a few players in with some pace and skill to improve things a bit.

Jones28
25-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I still think we will finish in the top 6

GoldenEagle
25-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I still think we will finish in the top 6

Sadly that will be seen as an achievement.

WestEndHibee
25-08-2013, 12:59 PM

do you not think that is an achievement? We have been a bottom 6 club for years now and I for one would take a top 6 place as an achievement. I actually expect us to finish 4th/5th and I'd expect progress from that next season.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2013, 01:02 PM
do you not think that is an achievement? We have been a bottom 6 club for years now and I for one would take a top 6 place as an achievement. I actually expect us to finish 4th/5th and I'd expect progress from that next season.

6th place or even 5th is no achievement at all.

The minimum gauge for success in my opinion is 4th place if that carries a European spot.

Unseen work
25-08-2013, 01:06 PM
I think we will finish 4/5th which would again be an improvement. We have been bottom 6 for a long time now last manager who got 4th was yogi iirc? And he got the sack. I think if everyone backs him and the team, with another couple of signings and everyone back from injury we will be looking good

Keith_M
25-08-2013, 01:16 PM

After two and a half years in charge, in a league with no Rangers and with Hearts starting on -15........ it really isn't, no.

ColintonHibs
25-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I think we will finish 4/5th which would again be an improvement. We have been bottom 6 for a long time now last manager who got 4th was yogi iirc? And he got the sack. I think if everyone backs him and the team, with another couple of signings and everyone back from injury we will be looking good

I agree

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2013, 01:26 PM

I agree

Get your applications in now, our board are looking for more like you pair.

yeezus.
25-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I think we will be top of the bottom 6 again - Celtic, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Inverness CT and Dundee United will make up the top 6.

Jones28
25-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Yupp. Shameful standards

SouthamptonHibs
25-08-2013, 01:34 PM
If we don't finish second or third the season is a failure (league campaign), with Hearts on -15 and Rangers out the league we should not finish below third. It's Fenlon's third season, he has had four transfer Windows to get this sorted. Everything is ready at Easter Road for a good season, the players and managers must deliver now, build on yesterday's good result and go on a run.

Andy74
25-08-2013, 01:59 PM
3rd.

Given that Fenlon took a team that were genuine relegation candidates to mainly being in the top 4 last year what do people base the statements on that Fenlon will take us to bottom 6?

We finished there last year of course but with a lot more points than the previous year and a very thin squad.

Not saying that's an achievement particularly but over any meaningful time period he hasn't taken us backwards at all.

HibbyAndy
25-08-2013, 02:15 PM
If we don't finish second or third the season is a failure (league campaign), with Hearts on -15 and Rangers out the league we should not finish below third. It's Fenlon's third season, he has had four transfer Windows to get this sorted. Everything is ready at Easter Road for a good season, the players and managers must deliver now, build on yesterday's good result and go on a run.

Excellent post and agree a million percent.

Liam89
25-08-2013, 02:19 PM
3rd.

Given that Fenlon took a team that were genuine relegation candidates to mainly being in the top 4 last year what do people base the statements on that Fenlon will take us to bottom 6?

We finished there last year of course but with a lot more points than the previous year and a very thin squad.

Not saying that's an achievement particularly but over any meaningful time period he hasn't taken us backwards at all.

Very true, people seem to forget Fenlon had us in top 4 up until the last 5th of the split, with a bit of luck we would of been 3rd or 4th!

Stringer
25-08-2013, 02:21 PM
4th spot is what we should aim for.
http://www.ynaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Arsenal-4th-trophy.jpg

Gettin' Auld
25-08-2013, 02:22 PM
At the very least i expect a top six position come the split

Broken Gnome
25-08-2013, 02:37 PM
3rd.

A complete lack of any style or substance within the sides he has put out? The lack of any balance or creativity? The fact it looks extremely easy to defend against a side that has spent a fair chunk of each game this season doing bugger all?

Support him all you want, and there's been a lot of daft arguments you've rightly taken people to task over, but to say there is virtually no evidence as you did elsewhere that we would struggle just isn't true.

Gerard
25-08-2013, 02:38 PM
I expect at least top 6 to get to a semi final in. Cup anything else is not acceptable IMO
It would be nice to win a cup and see more European football
G

HibeeEmma
25-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Scottish Cup...no less

Hibby 2005
25-08-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm probably in a minority but would be happy to finish mid-table while watching entertaining football.

Fenlon might/might not get us near the top again but it will be with a brand of football that makes for grim viewing.

Fergus52
25-08-2013, 02:54 PM
we weren't far away from gaining a European place in the league last season, albeit that was with Griffiths.

I think we'll make top six, only just and fenlons contract wont be extended

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Hope top six, expect bottom six.

Hibrandenburg
25-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Top 6 should have been secured last year. If we don't secure a comfortable top 6 this year then we have not moved forward and Fenlon and the Tash need to go. I can't see us playing attractive football but if Fenlon can start getting the results then I feel he's achieved his aim. I refuse to start bed wetting until this season is over.

Andy74
25-08-2013, 03:00 PM
David Moyes said recently that his plan for the first FIVE years at Everton was to steady things, cope with short term ups and downs whilst he changed the culture and the club, be difficult to beat and that the plan for the SECOND five years was to minimise the changes each year and develop a more entertaining style that could be sustained.

Is he right over the timescales?

He improved Everton initially then had a shocking year to follow it up. Probably unusual patience but it paid off a bit?

Unseen work
25-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Get your applications in now, our board are looking for more like you pair.

And how do you mean?

Hibrandenburg
25-08-2013, 04:11 PM
David Moyes said recently that his plan for the first FIVE years at Everton was to steady things, cope with short term ups and downs whilst he changed the culture and the club, be difficult to beat and that the plan for the SECOND five years was to minimise the changes each year and develop a more entertaining style that could be sustained.

He improved Everton initially then had a shocking year to follow it up. Probably unusual patience but it paid off a bit?

This is the only way forward for a club of Hibs stature. Quick fixes rarely pay long term dividends.

jdships
25-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Given there is no Huns and herats are on -15 would genuinely expect 3rd /4th at worst
as it stands " hae ma doubts" but still can hope :greengrin

:flag:

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2013, 04:52 PM
And how do you mean?

5th place is NOT acceptable, and never will be.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Quite right. In a league bereft of Rangers and Hearts starting on -15 its like saying 7th would be fine before those two had their self imposed problems.

Golden Bear
25-08-2013, 04:59 PM

:agree:

This season in particular if we finish outside the top 3 then it's a distinct failure.

Sir David Gray
25-08-2013, 05:10 PM

The "top six" is only seen as a so called achievement because the league splits in two after 33 games and people want their club to be involved in the bigger matches for the last few games of the season.

If there was no split, would you honestly still think that finishing sixth out of the twelve teams in our league was an achievement?

I know I wouldn't.

Of course finishing in the top six would be progress on recent years as we have been in the bottom six for the past three seasons but we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

There's only one team in our league at the moment who we cannot expect to compete with over a full season and that's Celtic.

No-one else.

PeeJay
25-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Didn't see the game, only the "SPL highlights" - however, on the basis of that if we make top 6 it will not be an "achievement", but a bloody miracle ...if Fenlon remains in charge I don't "expect" anything for us this season. At the start of the season, with Rangers gone and Hearts on -15, we should be expecting our team to be challenging for 2nd - the fact that we won't be is truly despairing!

HibbyAndy
25-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Making the top 6 is an achievement ? Behave.

Hibs should be going for 2nd place in this piss poor league.

Gustavo Fring
25-08-2013, 05:37 PM
we'd be challenging smeltic for 2nd place cos caley thistle are runnin away with the league

Eyrie
25-08-2013, 09:26 PM
I still think anything less than fourth is unacceptable. My expectations will depend on whether we can get a pacey winger in before next Monday, and whether yesterday's win was down to poor opponents or something we build on, so too early to say.

GreenOnions
25-08-2013, 10:01 PM
When you look at the quality in the the squad Pat has built you've got to say that we are at least as good as anyone in the league bar Celtic. Individually - most of our players would get a game every week for most other SPFL teams. You've also got the likes of Harris, Forster, Stanton etc who look very promising.

The two key points IMHO are:

1) Whilst we probably have better players than most we're not hugely better to the extent that success is guaranteed against a better balanced or a better organised team with inferior players.
2) We still lack balance as a team and there are particular areas of the team that are weak.

It's Pat Fenlon's job to address these two points:

He needs to get the team to gel and to build confidence, an attractive playing style and organisation.

He also needs to bring in two or three players for key areas in the team - a right back, an attacking wide player with pace and another goalscorer.

If he can do those things then we should be top four. If not - I'd say 6th/7th.

Unseen work
25-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Please point me in the direction of where I said this? Or is this you yet again not reading properly what someone said and posting your own drivel anyway?

erin go bragh
25-08-2013, 10:36 PM
This is the only way forward for a club of Hibs stature. Quick fixes rarely pay long term dividends.

Tony Mowbray managed to fix us rather quick , more like 5 weeks !
Imoh

Ggtth

ekhibee
25-08-2013, 11:12 PM
I think we'll definitely be bottom half, but the exact position I'm not sure. Fenlon's job is as good as safe now so expect more of the same 'entertainment'...

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Please point me in the direction of where I said this? Or is this you yet again not reading properly what someone said and posting your own drivel anyway?

I never said you said it was acceptable, you said it would be progress, i said 5th would be unacceptable.

Hibrandenburg
26-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Tony Mowbray managed to fix us rather quick , more like 5 weeks !
Imoh

Ggtth

And what was his legacy? The whole culture at the club needs to be addressed and PF has done that. The players we've got now ain't great but I'm not reading stories in the press about their non footballing activities as much as under previous regimes.

It takes time for a club of Hibs' financial stature to eradicate the rot and when that's done it takes even more time to rebuild a team that can also play football together.

1. Stop the rot
2. Impose a new culture
3. Get rid of the deadwood
4. Replace deadwood with reliable players within budget
5. Try and get new team to gel
6. Slowly replace reliable players with quality players
7. Ensure quality lost is replace accordingly

IMO we're still only at phase 5 and will therefore keep a dry mattress until at least the end of this season.

rcarter1
26-08-2013, 07:10 AM
And what was his legacy? The whole culture at the club needs to be addressed and PF has done that. The players we've got now ain't great but I'm not reading stories in the press about their non footballing activities as much as under previous regimes.

It takes time for a club of Hibs' financial stature to eradicate the rot and when that's done it takes even more time to rebuild a team that can also play football together.

1. Stop the rot
2. Impose a new culture

IMO we're still only at phase 5 and will therefore keep a dry mattress until at least the end of this season.

Like the summary. It reminds me that PF has done some good for the club without doubt. The fact that he is still determined to succeed, make me want him to succeed. Id like to see a more ambitious style of play, but we've not exactly been blessed with injuries right now. Its the country mile between Collins and midfield that really gets me scratching my head, but midfield is starting to pitch in w goals so..

hibbymick
26-08-2013, 07:35 AM

1. Stop the rot
2. Impose a new culture

I still think I would rather have Griffiths .

Hibrandenburg
26-08-2013, 09:28 AM
I still think I would rather have Griffiths .

I'd rather have both. But that's only possible from phase 6 onwards ( see my previous post ).

Craig_in_Prague
26-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Fighting St Mirren & possibly Hearts over the relegation place(s).

Captain Trips
26-08-2013, 11:20 AM
This split for top/bottom six really does IMO put up a rather false sense of achievement. For me I ignore the split and see 3rd/2nd as were we should be looking at now.

Top 6 shouldn't even be a discussion it should be where will we finish in top 4.

PF IMO we will struggle to get into an acceptable finish my thoughts are 7th 8th.

Golden Bear
26-08-2013, 11:49 AM

1. Stop the rot
2. Impose a new culture

Fine words however they've not been translated into actions or results. Amongst many other things I don't see much evidence of the much heralded "winning mentality" for a start.

patlowe
26-08-2013, 12:17 PM

1. Stop the rot
2. Impose a new culture

You could argue that Mowbray's legacy is a finished stadium and enviable training ground which are pretty vital in achieving any sort of sustainability in the expectations or ambitions people have mentioned.

As for Fenlon, I would argue that some of his more high profile defeats suggest he has not achieved phase 1 of your plan. Also, if Fenlon has changed the culture of the club, and I accept that he has addressed the discipline issue, then what has he changed it to? I would hope that he would embed a winning mentality but there is no semblance of this - we rarely win and when we do it is not a comfortable experience!

JimBHibees
26-08-2013, 12:23 PM
6th place or even 5th is no achievement at all.

The minimum gauge for success in my opinion is 4th place if that carries a European spot.

I would agree with that a top 4 and at least a decent run (minimum semis final) in one of the cups would be the only way that IMO the season could be deemed a good one.

In the main the signings of guys like Robertson, KT, Craig and OTJ are of a higher general standard than we had last season. Actually think Nelson is an improvement also. Strikers jury still out IMO.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I would agree with that a top 4 and at least a decent run (minimum semis final) in one of the cups would be the only way that IMO the season could be deemed a good one.

In the main the signings of guys like Robertson, KT, Craig and OTJ are of a higher general standard than we had last season. Actually think Nelson is an improvement also. Strikers jury still out IMO.

4th is the minimum acceptance i'd class as success, anything less is failure in my eyes.

I agree with you on the players you mention, and they do look better than the types we have had in the past, but that counts for nothing if the manager cant make them into an exciting side that gets 4th or better?

JimBHibees
26-08-2013, 12:35 PM
4th is the minimum acceptance i'd class as success, anything less is failure in my eyes.

I agree with you on the players you mention, and they do look better than the types we have had in the past, but that counts for nothing if the manager cant make them into an exciting side that gets 4th or better?

Completely agree it is the managers job to get them to play as an effective team who at least look as if they know what they and each other are doing. I also have concerns whether he is capable of doing that as to me the balance of the players doesnt seem right in that so many of them are best centrally. It is bad enough being a not very good team who at least attacks other teams it becomes torture when a not very good team is also ultra defensive in their approach.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Hope top four, expect bottom six.

Hibrandenburg
26-08-2013, 01:49 PM
You could argue that Mowbray's legacy is a finished stadium and enviable training ground which are pretty vital in achieving any sort of sustainability in the expectations or ambitions people have mentioned.

As for Fenlon, I would argue that some of his more high profile defeats suggest he has not achieved phase 1 of your plan. Also, if Fenlon has changed the culture of the club, and I accept that he has addressed the discipline issue, then what has he changed it to? I would hope that he would embed a winning mentality but there is no semblance of this - we rarely win and when we do it is not a comfortable experience!

Don't think it's the manager's job to improve the infrastructure, I'd personally be thanking Rod for that one. As for stopping the rot? Well PF has done that we were on our way to division one, remember that? As for progress, well only time will tell but sometimes you need to take a step backwards before moving on.

I honestly don't know if Fenlon has the ability to move Hibs forward or not, all I'm saying is that sometimes change comes at a cost and takes time if you want to rebuild something and I don't think Fenlon has had the time necessary to do that yet.

HFC 0-7
26-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Comparing different things andy, Everton are a mid sized club in England. They are miles behind 6 or 7 of the teams financially and fan base, possibly more. We are a bigger club in Scotland than they are in England. Fenlon hasn't improved us from calderwood a reign, last season we were in a league without rangers, this year again and a much weaker hearts side.

Plans are ok as long as the performance matches those plans. I asked the question to some of the hierarchy at hibs when Fenlon came in about targets. their response was European places in the league every season. If the performances and results we have been getting are part of the plan then something is very wrong, Fenlon hasn't steadied the ship either. We are looking very much like a bottom 6 club the way we are set up to play.

edinburghhibee
26-08-2013, 10:44 PM
European spot through league finish is a must.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm keeping my feet firmly on the ground and expecting a win on Saturday, it's not worth looking beyond the next game just now.

Beefster
27-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Precisely what I would have said.

3rd.

It's astonishing to think that you wanted him sacked a fortnight ago.

Andy74
27-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Precisely what I would have said.

It's astonishing to think that you wanted him sacked a fortnight ago.

I didn't really. I've admitted a drunken post in the emotional aftermath of a derby defeat! :greengrin

I think if he can't take us on from here and start gettng a bit more purpose in our attack then he should go, but what I don't agree with is all the chat about how he has taken us backwards and that the indications are with him that we will finish bottom six. There haven't been any of those indications in his time here.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I didn't really. I've admitted a drunken post in the emotional aftermath of a derby defeat! :greengrin

I think if he can't take us on from here and start gettng a bit more purpose in our attack then he should go, but what I don't agree with is all the chat about how he has taken us backwards and that the indications are with him that we will finish bottom six. There haven't been any of those indications in his time here.

Other than him leading us to consecutive bottom six finishes.

Golden Bear
27-08-2013, 06:57 PM

Andy, I don't think even you believe some of the stuff you come out with!

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Andy, I don't think even you believe some of the stuff you come out with!

:agree: He must have been permanently pished over the last few years? :devil:

Beefster
28-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I reckon some folk wanted Fenlon sacked when it looked likely that the Board would do it. When Rodders and co backed him, it was time for those folk to change their minds. I seem to recall the same sort of thing happening with Calderwood and Hughes.

Stevie Reid
28-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I reckon some folk wanted Fenlon sacked when it looked likely that the Board would do it. When Rodders and co backed him, it was time for those folk to change their minds. I seem to recall the same sort of thing happening with Calderwood and Hughes.

I think many folk reached a tipping point with the result and performance against Hearts, but are just going with the flow and continuing to support the club as best they can.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Petrie backing Hughes - he was never going to sack him after finishing 4th in the SPL, and he was gone 7 games into the following season. At which point did Petrie publicly back him? My recollection was that Hughes was aggrieved at not being backed by Petrie, and was upset about Petrie's comments in the ridiculous Calderwood statement, resulting in their 'clear the air talks' in 2011, long after he went - but again, I may well be wrong.

Beefster
28-08-2013, 10:26 AM
I think many folk reached a tipping point with the result and performance against Hearts, but are just going with the flow and continuing to support the club as best they can.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Petrie backing Hughes - he was never going to sack him after finishing 4th in the SPL, and he was gone 7 games into the following season. At which point did Petrie publicly back him? My recollection was that Hughes was aggrieved at not being backed by Petrie, and was upset about Petrie's comments in the ridiculous Calderwood statement, resulting in their 'clear the air talks' in 2011, long after he went - but again, I may well be wrong.

I think most folk are continuing to support the club as best they can, irrespective of when they reached their tipping point.

I'm not sure if Rodders ever publicly backed Hughes either. My point, poorly made, was more about some folk always agreeing with the Board's decisions - even if it means backing a manager one day and agreeing it was right to sack him the next (or vice versa).

Stevie Reid
28-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I think most folk are continuing to support the club as best they can, irrespective of when they reached their tipping point.

I'm not sure if Rodders ever publicly backed Hughes either. My point, poorly made, was more about some folk always agreeing with the Board's decisions - even if it means backing a manager one day and agreeing it was right to sack him the next (or vice versa).

Such things can be construed as either folk continually agreeing with the board's decisions, or as them going along with a decision that they have practically zero control over, and hoping for the best.

Either way, it seems to be that the only agenda in place is to support Hibs.

The Sea-gull
30-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I think we will be top of the bottom 6 again - Celtic, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Inverness CT and Dundee United will make up the top 6.

Sadly, I agree with this as the most likely top 6 make up come April.

We might "win" the bottom 6 again though. Probably ahead of Hearts by a point or two.

yeezus.
30-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Sadly, I agree with this as the most likely top 6 make up come April.

We might "win" the bottom 6 again though. Probably ahead of Hearts by a point or two.

Do you think the Yams will stay up? The way St. Mirren have been playing I reckon Hearts will be licking their lips.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Do you think the Yams will stay up? The way St. Mirren have been playing I reckon Hearts will be licking their windows.

:aok:

hfc rd
30-08-2013, 08:11 PM
With the squad we have now and when everyone is fit and raring to go, 2nd place has to be the target.

HibbyAndy
30-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Do you think the Yams will stay up? The way St. Mirren have been playing I reckon Hearts will be licking their lips.

Hearts will still go down.

IberianHibernian
30-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Will be disappointed if we don`t make top 3 and 2nd is a realistic target but despite good signings we`ve lost our 2 best players , 2 players who are very good by SPL ( or new name ) standards . New signings look good but are not quality to make a huge difference ( ICT ; Killie and St J didn`t pressurise Celtic in table for example ) but should mean we don`t struggle so much with injuries and suspensions as last year . We were unlucky not to make top 6 last year and could easily have finished in top 4 so would hope to qualify for Europe through league placing ( assuming 3 places - is 2nd good enough for Champions League next year ? ) especially as 3 cup finals in a row after 90 years without 2 seems unlikely .

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2013, 09:09 PM

1. Stop the rot
2. Impose a new culture

Think this might be the start of phase 6. Wee bit concerned that phase 5 is not complete, maybe due to fan pressure but see no reason why 5&6 can't happen simultaneously.

Shields Hibee
30-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm going to say top 6 given that we've signed a couple more players, Hefferman & Zouby and maybe even Carson. The squad we have should have us challenging for those positions and hopefully Pat will set us up to attack to allow us to challenge for the right end of the table.

A cup run in both SC & LC would be nice as well.

Pete
31-08-2013, 12:22 AM
After today I'm really happy with our squad and we really should be making second our own, never mind the top six.

If you look at the teams in the league and their squads, it's frightening to think what we could do if we get it together. I'm not scared of anyone, even Celtic.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2013, 06:42 PM
2nd place, some folk have a wicked sense of humour. :faf:

AllyF
31-08-2013, 06:54 PM
11th. Strap yourselves in, guys, it's going to be one hell of a ride.

Pete
31-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Looking at the individual players we have, we really should be talking about second.

However, when we take the field we somehow become less than the sum of our parts. Depressing!

Sir David Gray
31-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Considering the players at our disposal, our target should be 2nd place.

Considering the football we're producing just now, 2nd bottom is more realistic.

Hibernia&Alba
31-08-2013, 07:14 PM
If the performances thus far continue, I expect - 1, to be in rehab by May. 2, Even The Samaritans will refuse to talk to me.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Looking at the individual players we have, we really should be talking about second.

However, when we take the field we somehow become less than the sum of our parts. Depressing!

Considering the players at our disposal, our target should be 2nd place.

Considering the football we're producing just now, 2nd bottom is more realistic.

You pair must see a different team to the one i have? We have an ok back 4 that are limited in what they do. At full back we have a decent left back who's ok going forward but not the greatest when defending. Both central defenders are suspect against pace, one has a habit of switching off and a right back who should not be there and offers very little going forward.

Our midfield is flooded with defending midfielders, who do just that and sit just in front of the back 4, maybe they are worried the back 4 might defend badly, who knows?

Then we have a front 4 pick any of them to form the 11 players we should play, and they have not scored yet. Its probably a bit unfair to judge them though, and Heffernan and Collins will probably be the first picks.

The whole team has no pace, we create next to nothing, and entertainment value is zip. As i said, 2nd place is never on the table, even with Fergie in charge, but we dont have Fergie, we have Fenlon. And he's miles out his depth.

frazeHFC
31-08-2013, 08:20 PM
As much as I can't see it getting any worse.....it does just that. Feels horrible to say it but already it feels like we will be struggling at the bottom of the table, and a club of our size should be top 4 every season. Nothing so far this season, or even in the last 3 years, has made me excited about watching Hibs. Will always love the club but the football is becoming depressing.

Captain Trips
31-08-2013, 08:35 PM
You pair must see a different team to the one i have? We have an ok back 4 that are limited in what they do. At full back we have a decent left back who's ok going forward but not the greatest when defending. Both central defenders are suspect against pace, one has a habit of switching off and a right back who should not be there and offers very little going forward.

Our midfield is flooded with defending midfielders, who do just that and sit just in front of the back 4, maybe they are worried the back 4 might defend badly, who knows?

Then we have a front 4 pick any of them to form the 11 players we should play, and they have not scored yet. Its probably a bit unfair to judge them though, and Heffernan and Collins will probably be the first picks.

The whole team has no pace, we create next to nothing, and entertainment value is zip. As i said, 2nd place is never on the table, even with Fergie in charge, but we dont have Fergie, we have Fenlon. And he's miles out his depth.

I agree with this BH, I do not see on what basis we have a team of players capable of 2nd, we absolutley should have by this juncture but we don't.

The gross misconduct of the football operations continues.

Pete
01-09-2013, 03:56 AM

We see the same team alright. You just have to look at the players individually and outwith the context of one of Pats teams.

They are damn good players. If a change of management happened tomorrow we would probably see an instant change. Ian Murray took all of 45 minutes to turn Dumbarton around. You either have it or you don't when it comes to man management and motivation.

We have plenty pace and quality in our squad. It isn't being utilised and they are being made to look like idiots. Any other team would love to form a back four from Hanlon, Nelson, Forster, Stevenson, McGivern, Mullen, Clancy or McPake. I'd go as far to say any other club probably could.:rolleyes:

I don't even need to mention the midfielders and the combinations we could go through that would probably work...even with full backs that don't cross the halfway line.

I understand where you are coming from and your frustrations but you're barking up the wrong tree here mate. We have a decent bunch of players who seemed to perform well elsewhere.

The pieces of the jigsaw are all there but we just need someone who can put them all together.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
The squad we have isn't the problem, the man sending the players onto the park very much is.