PDA

View Full Version : Balance

down-the-slope
24-08-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm a self confessed Happy Clapper :dancer:who prefers to look at the glass as being 'half full'

However we seem to have gone from one extreme - its all gloom and doom / were rubbish / no decent players / Pat is clueless...straight to its all fine / we will kick on from here / all we need is couple of signings

I don't believe its either of those extremes and its not helpful to have such polarisation of the support.

We have started the season very poorly, compounded by a tight squad / lots of injuries and a couple of suspensions. The squad is on paper strong generally but badly missing pace and natural width. The manager has done a lot right over his time - remove deadwood / make us tougher to beat / introduced youth to ist team...on the other hand we have got into a habit of losing tight / even games, are not very pretty to watch most of the time, and don't seem to have a set formation / style of play.

Todays win was very welcome and may be a crucial turning point......but it will take a win next week and getting ER back regularly to being a place where every point is a hostage, combined with a formation and style that is constant and watchable before we can fully get the bunting out....

Saorsa
24-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm a self confessed Happy Clapper :dancer:who prefers to look at the glass as being 'half full'

However we seem to have gone from one extreme - its all gloom and doom / were rubbish / no decent players / Pat is clueless...straight to its all fine / we will kick on from here / all we need is couple of signings

I don't believe its either of those extremes and its not helpful to have such polarisation of the support.

We have started the season very poorly, compounded by a tight squad / lots of injuries and a couple of suspensions. The squad is on paper strong generally but badly missing pace and natural width. The manager has done a lot right over his time - remove deadwood / make us tougher to beat / introduced youth to ist team...on the other hand we have got into a habit of losing tight / even games, are not very pretty to watch most of the time, and don't seem to have a set formation / style of play.

Todays win was very welcome and may be a crucial turning point......but it will take a win next week and getting ER back regularly to being a place where every point is a hostage, combined with a formation and style that is constant and watchable before we can fully get the bunting out....Have we? Who are you speaking for when you say we? Maybe some people have. While I'm delighted with today's win and hope we do kick on, little has changed for me as of yet.

matty_f
24-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Have we? Who are you speaking for when you say we?' I'm delighted with today's win and hope we do kick on but little has changed for me as of yet.

I think it was just an observation of some of the post-victory posts. Don't think d-t-s has done a poll or that.

down-the-slope
24-08-2013, 11:46 PM
I think it was just an observation of some of the post-victory posts. Don't think d-t-s has done a poll or that.

:agree:

Hibercelona
24-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Have we? Who are you speaking for when you say we?' Maybe some people have, whileI'm delighted with today's win and hope we do kick on, little has changed for me as of yet.

I'm in the same mind. I'm not convinced anything has changed either. We were always going to win a game eventually and I even said in the prediction thread that I thought we'd win yesterday. But turning a corner? I'm honestly not convinced of that. Not yet anyway. We're a long way off from that.

My opinion doesn't matter though, because apparently i'm not fickle enough to be a real Hibs(.net) fan... :rolleyes:

down-the-slope
24-08-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm in the same mind. I'm not convinced anything has changed either. We were always going to win a game eventually and I even said in the prediction thread that I thought we'd win yesterday. But turning a corner? I'm honestly not convinced of that. Not yet anyway. We're a long way off from that.

My opinion doesn't matter though, because apparently i'm not fickle enough to be a real Hibs(.net) fan... :rolleyes:

:confused: do people not read threads anymore

Saorsa
24-08-2013, 11:51 PM
I think it was just an observation of some of the post-victory posts. Don't think d-t-s has done a poll or that.Perhaps I have picked the post up wrong, if so I do apologise tae the OP for jumping in. I realise now it could be related tae the number and type of posts on this forum at any given time rather than any real change in folks opinions.

matty_f
24-08-2013, 11:52 PM

Not when there's an opportunity to be a bell end to be taken. :greengrin

Hibercelona
24-08-2013, 11:52 PM

I'm not having a dig at you mate. It's just I was given a hard time in another thread earlier on for pointing out some concerns. I don't think it makes me any less of a Hibs fan than anybody else.

matty_f
24-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Perhaps I have picked the post up wrong, if so I do apologise. I realise now it could be related tae the number and type of posts on this forum at any given time rather than any real change in folks opinions.

:aok: no need for apologies, DD.

down-the-slope
25-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Perhaps I have picked the post up wrong, if so I do apologise tae the OP for jumping in. I realise now it could be related tae the number and type of posts on this forum at any given time rather than any real change in folks opinions.
Nae need - we all want a winning entertaining team....and what ever view we take on those currently trying to achieve that... I think we can agree we are a fair bit off that

To be Cantona esque for a minute about today..... One Swallow doth not a summer make......

But any Swallow is welcome :greengrin

Saorsa
25-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Nae need - we all want a winning entertaining team....and what ever view we take on those currently trying to achieve that... I think we can agree we are a fair bit off that

To be Cantona esque for a minute about today..... One Swallow doth not a summer make......

But any Swallow is welcome :greengrin:agree:

TBH I've backed PF up until the start of this season, I like the guy and want him tae succeed, I'm just not sure he will now but hope tae be proved wrong. Those Euro games and that game against them really pissed me off. As long as he is here I hope he does get it right, if he is, that means we're doing well and that's what I want. If he is managing tae the best of his ability and he cannae turn it round there is nae choice but tae get rid and it cannae be left too late. If he does have tae go those at the top (in other words Petrie) should be hounded out IMO for yet another failure. He is responsible for puting people in the job and responsible if he keeps getting it wrong.

My real beef is still with those at the top (Petrie) and I'd still like tae see him gone regardless of what happens with Fenlon. Everything coming out of ER reeks of an acceptance and a willingness tae just drift along in an endless sea of mediocrity, of just being safe (and that's nearly came unstuck twice recently). If we win anything along they way great, if we dinnae, who cares. Nae leadership, nae direction and totally ambitionless IMO.

just one other thing though, if you're going tae use smilies like that at least get one with the right colours :greengrin

http://i41.tinypic.com/51pzio.gif

Viva_Palmeiras
25-08-2013, 12:09 AM

Hes only 22... Concentration ain't what it used to be ;)

Hibercelona
25-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Hes only 22... Concentration ain't what it used to be ;)

My concentration is good enough to know that not much has actually changed, despite the result against a struggling kilmarnock side. :-)

But i'm sure people who actually do have short attention spans on here will switch back to the negative extreme again if we fail to get a result in the next game.

monktonharp
25-08-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm not having a dig at you mate. It's just I was given a hard time in another thread earlier on for pointing out some concerns. I don't think it makes me any less of a Hibs fan than anybody else. but do remember, your ashamed to tell anyone you are a Hibs fan:wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Bit previous to talk about turning a corner? Arresting the decline maybe?

SaulGoodman
25-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Was thinking the same thing, 2 weeks ago we had sack the board/fenlon to go threads and now we have threads saying kick on/ couple of signings all will be rosy threads.

Something in between would be better,

mikewynne
25-08-2013, 03:12 AM
I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between. We are obviously not a great team and play a fairly dull, defensive style of play. But our team is not so bad that going 5 or 6 games without a win is the norm. Assuming Fenlon stays I'm sure we'll win some, lose (probably) more, draw a lot and finish clear of relegation but be below where all of us think we should be. The team are not as bad as this season's results have suggested so far but I think we are not going to be challenging in the top half either.

Boyle89
25-08-2013, 04:05 AM
Was thinking the same thing, 2 weeks ago we had sack the board/fenlon to go threads and now we have threads saying kick on/ couple of signings all will be rosy threads.

Something in between would be better,
I'm sure these threads are started/ commented on by different people. Nobody can be swayed that easily by a 2-1 win at a poor killie side surely.
Still don't think PF is the man to take us forawrd but if we get results we can't argue.

Andy74
25-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Bit previous to talk about turning a corner? Arresting the decline maybe?

At the same time we were on a good run before the start of this season so by the same token we weren't really on that much of a poor run.

Not to the extent that was being talked about here anyway.

Purehibee_MYB
25-08-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm sure these threads are started/ commented on by different people. Nobody can be swayed that easily by a 2-1 win at a poor killie side surely.
Still don't think PF is the man to take us forawrd but if we get results we can't argue.

I was worried about the amount of people seemingly completely swayed by today's result too. It could be a turning point, but looking at the highlights we've not played very well again but we have got this 'luck' that Fenlon has been talking about.. but luck runs out. Anyway, if we can go on a run now and beat County and then take a result in Perth it will be much easier to say that we've turned a corner

Liberal Hibby
25-08-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm not having a dig at you mate. It's just I was given a hard time in another thread earlier on for pointing out some concerns. I don't think it makes me any less of a Hibs fan than anybody else.

No you weren't given a hard time for 'pointing out concerns' but for being a consistently tedious negative and unsupportive git.

Boyle89
25-08-2013, 07:29 AM
I was worried about the amount of people seemingly completely swayed by today's result too. It could be a turning point, but looking at the highlights we've not played very well again but we have got this 'luck' that Fenlon has been talking about.. but luck runs out. Anyway, if we can go on a run now and beat County and then take a result in Perth it will be much easier to say that we've turned a corner
Anyone who was at the game will not have been swayed. We completely fell out the game when killie scored and were under pressure for large spells. We really didnt play that well but scored with our only chances, both goals were superbly taken I thought and both were good moves, especially the dissallowd goal which was the best passing move we've played in months! Pat certainly does now have the chance to put a run together with county only just finding their feet aswell and st johnstones early good form faltering. Here's hoping...

Beefster
25-08-2013, 01:19 PM
At the same time we were on a good run before the start of this season so by the same token we weren't really on that much of a poor run.

Not to the extent that was being talked about here anyway.

We've won < 30% of competitive games in 2013.

Three meaningless games at the end of the season, in the middle of a run of Calderwood-esque results, isn't a 'good run'.

down-the-slope
25-08-2013, 01:24 PM
:agree:

just one other thing though, if you're going tae use smilies like that at least get one with the right colours :greengrin

http://i41.tinypic.com/51pzio.gif

:aok: duly noted - and I will comply as soon as the admin get it sorted :greengrin

FitbaFolkKen
25-08-2013, 02:05 PM
No you weren't given a hard time for 'pointing out concerns' but for being a consistently tedious negative and unsupportive git.

Good post, made me laugh :greengrin

Liam89
25-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I now think Pat Fenlon's the right man for the job, Lewis Stevenson is a natural Right back, Liam Craig's the best left mid we've had for years and Rowan Vines beard is perfect.