PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon wants hibs player to have mental fortitude

WestStandMoaner
23-08-2013, 11:57 AM
THIS IS A QUOTE FROM TODAY'S SCOTSMAN-A man under pressure thanks to a poor start to the season, he says he is thick skinned enough to cope with that but he wants his players to prove they also have the mental fortitude to cope with the weight of match day expectations.
“I think we’ve got good players but they’ve got to go and show that now. Because when you come to a big club, as Hibs is, you’ve got to be prepared to handle the pressure of that. That’s something you’ve got to stand up and do, whether that’s as a player or a coach or a manager. We’ve got to make sure we get the best out of everybody and drive each other on but it’s about finding that balance and getting a bit of confidence and then I think they’ll kick on.”

Northernhibee
23-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Fair enough.

PeterboroHibee
23-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I agree with what he is saying, but I dont understand why they arent able to cope with match day expectations? The majority of them are more than capable footballers as we have seen in the past, and at the moment I think all the fans want to see is them play the game properly (ie not booting it long), which we have also seen them do in patches - if they can do that we will at least be competitive, and it will get a lot of the fans back on side.

WestStandMoaner
23-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree with what he is saying, but I dont understand why they arent able to cope with match day expectations? The majority of them are more than capable footballers as we have seen in the past, and at the moment I think all the fans want to see is them play the game properly (ie not booting it long), which we have also seen them do in patches - if they can do that we will at least be competitive, and it will get a lot of the fans back on side.
Correct you will never win any sport without having a strong mind, unfortunately Hibs have had their fair share of weak minded players in the past, hopefully Pat can install some belief, because it sounds to me he is concerned

Brooster
23-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Just as Jimmy Nichol said to that geezer on George Street the other night.

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I agree with what he says. But I don't agree with his ability to make it happen.

Players can go out there with all the confidence in the world. But if there's no proper game plan in place, it counts for nothing.

When was the last time players looked as if they had a clue what they were doing on the pitch?

silverhibee
23-08-2013, 12:23 PM
They should be fine tomorrow then playing infront of a couple of thousand fans against Killie.

No pressure.

Stevie Reid
23-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I agree with what he says. But I don't agree with his ability to make it happen.

Players can go out there with all the confidence in the world. But if there's no proper game plan in place, it counts for nothing.

When was the last time players looked as if they had a clue what they were doing on the pitch?

I think the first 50% of both halves against Motherwell we were fine (without creating many clear cut chances), there was a pattern to our play and we got the ball to Harris regularly - sadly he had a mare in the 1st half, but was our most threatening player in the 2nd up til his injury.

However, we have been completely flat and hopeless since then, as we have no creative outlet, nor anyone with pace in the team.

WestStandMoaner
23-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Just as Jimmy Nichol said to that geezer on George Street the other night. That geezer was me and I was shot down from many on the Hibs net for mentioning it, it seems this is the general feeling of the Hibs Management

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I think the first 50% of both halves against Motherwell we were fine, there was a pattern to our play and we got the ball to Harris regularly - sadly he had a mare in the 1st half, but was our most threatening player in the 2nd up til his injury.

However, we have been completely flat and hopeless since then, as we have no creative outlet, nor anyone with pace in the team.

The problem I have with this Stevie is that we always seem very reliant on one player to perform in a game, when there should be multiple attacking options.

As you say, we look completely flat and appear to lack any real creativety or game plan. We had a player last season who could pick the ball up at the half way line and run up and score a goal. Harris certainly won't do that for us (when fit to play) and I don't think it would be fair to place such expectations on him.

Every player needs to dig in and be on the same wavelength. We look very disjointed all over the park. It's the managers job to fix this.

He can talk about confidence and effort all he wants. But he has to have some sort of game plan. Something we're seriously lacking.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Is this not part of the managers job, making sure he signs the right types, not weak shy players frightened of their own shadows? :confused:

The excuses are getting more ridiculous each season. :rolleyes:

Captain Trips
23-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Is this not part of the managers job, making sure he signs the right types, not weak shy players frightened of their own shadows? :confused:

The excuses are getting more ridiculous each season. :rolleyes:

This

All that has been mentioned by PF I would fully expect a pro player signing on at not just Hibs but any SPL club to do as standard.

Stevie Reid
23-08-2013, 12:44 PM
The problem I have with this Stevie is that we always seem very reliant on one player to perform in a game, when there should be multiple attacking options.

As you say, we look completely flat and appear to lack any real creativety or game plan. We had a player last season who could pick the ball up at the half way line and run up and score a goal. Harris certainly won't do that for us (when fit to play) and I don't think it would be fair to place such expectations on him.

Every player needs to dig in and be on the same wavelength. We look very disjointed all over the park. It's the managers job to fix this.

He can talk about confidence and effort all he wants. But he has to have some sort of game plan. Something we're seriously lacking.

I don't disagree with much of that, whilst Cairney and Harris' injuries are unfortunate, we should still have other focal points in the side, and a discernible pattern to our play, and I'm in no way trying to excuse Fenlon as the blame lies squarely with him.

Phil D. Rolls
23-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Correct you will never win any sport without having a strong mind, unfortunately Hibs have had their fair share of weak minded players in the past, hopefully Pat can install some belief, because it sounds to me he is concerned

Name some.

silverhibee
23-08-2013, 01:05 PM

The excuses are getting more ridiculous each game. :rolleyes:

Changed that for you. :greengrin

WestStandMoaner
23-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Name some.
You just have to look at how many times over the last few years a Hibs team have bottled it in front of big crowds to no know. Assuming you go to the games

Scouse Hibee
23-08-2013, 01:21 PM
THIS IS A QUOTE FROM TODAY'S SCOTSMAN-A man under pressure thanks to a poor start to the season, he says he is thick skinned enough to cope with that but he wants his players to prove they also have the mental fortitude to cope with the weight of match day expectations.
“I think we’ve got good players but they’ve got to go and show that now. Because when you come to a big club, as Hibs is, you’ve got to be prepared to handle the pressure of that. That’s something you’ve got to stand up and do, whether that’s as a player or a coach or a manager. We’ve got to make sure we get the best out of everybody and drive each other on but it’s about finding that balance and getting a bit of confidence and then I think they’ll kick on.”

Players that have come from other SPL teams who have out performed Hibs, a player that scored a hat trick against Stoke in the FA cup and others who have played in England in front of bigger crowds are suddenly feeling the pressure at Hibs! I don't buy any of that at all.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2013, 01:23 PM
You just have to look at how many times over the last few years a Hibs team have bottled it in front of big crowds to no know. Assuming you go to the games

I couldn't name anyone in this lot who are frightened of playing in front of a big crowd? I wonder when a small crowd turns into a bigger one for them, and is it the same number for all?

I wonder if some are frightened at 7k some at 8k some at 9k and the rest at 12k. If only our fans could cause a wee bit of trouble and get the ground closed for a while, we could quite easily win the league if only our fans cared enough?

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I couldn't name anyone in this lot who are frightened of playing in front of a big crowd? I wonder when a small crowd turns into a bigger one for them, and is it the same number for all?

I wonder if some are frightened at 7k some at 8k some at 9k and the rest at 12k. If only our fans could cause a wee bit of trouble and get the ground closed for a while, we could quite easily win the league if only our fans cared enough?

:agree:

I care enough not to turn up for games these days. I'm happy knowing that i'm helping the players out by reducing the attendance figure.

Hibrandenburg
23-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Wish some of our fans had more mental fortitude.

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Personally, I think its a miracle that over 9,000 still turn up for games.

Brightside
23-08-2013, 01:48 PM

I'll say this for the last time. ITS HIS JOB! If he thinks they are letting him down he should drop them and let a boy take their place. Stop cuddling the little shiyites. Im sick to death of the rubbish that he continues to spout. Its the SPL not the ****** World Cup!

Hibrandenburg
23-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Personally, I think its a miracle that over 9,000 still turn up for games.

Hope eternal! What being a fan is about, come rain come hail!

GreenCastle
23-08-2013, 01:52 PM

You can't blame the fans at all -the team getting the following it's had over the last few years considering we have been terrible - many teams crowds would have seriously dropped more than us.

Fenlon talked when he arrived about signing players with a better mentality and Hibs used the slogan - team with more bottle.

Surely when identifying a player this is a key consideration ?

Some strange things coming out of his mouth recently - if all else fails go off on complete tangents and try and blame someone / something. :confused:

Saorsa
23-08-2013, 01:55 PM
That geezer was me and I was shot down from many on the Hibs net for mentioning it, it seems this is the general feeling of the Hibs Managementor another excuse for their failure?

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Hope eternal! What being a fan is about, come rain come hail!

So you think being a fan is about being taken for a ride?

Because that's what the clubs doing. I don't believe the board value the fans, unless it involves how much money they have in thier back pocket on match day.

I'm all for following the team through thick and thin. But we actually need a team first.

Hibrandenburg
23-08-2013, 02:01 PM
You can't blame the fans at all -the team getting the following it's had over the last few years considering we have been terrible - many teams crowds would have seriously dropped more than us.

Fenlon talked when he arrived about signing players with a better mentality and Hibs used the slogan - team with more bottle.

Surely when identifying a player this is a key consideration ?

Some strange things coming out of his mouth recently - if all else fails go off on complete tangents and try and blame someone / something. :confused:

Not blaming the fans, just suggesting that the expectations might be a bit high. With the exception of a few blips of sunshine it's been pretty dire being a Hibby the last 40 or so years and the recent manager revolving door hasn't changed that and I see no reason why another change will make any difference.

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Not blaming the fans, just suggesting that the expectations might be a bit high. With the exception of a few blips of sunshine it's been pretty dire being a Hibby the last 40 or so years and the recent manager revolving door hasn't changed that and I see no reason why another change will make any difference.

How can expectations be too high? Nobodies asking Hibs to win the league.

Top 6 should be standard. Top 3 should be expected. That's not high expectations, that's simply where we should be.

Golden Bear
23-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Aye well Pat that was one of your stated objectives when you were first appointed so it seems as though you've failed miserably up until now.

Hibrandenburg
23-08-2013, 02:06 PM
So you think being a fan is about being taken for a ride?

Because that's what the clubs doing. I don't believe the board value the fans, unless it involves how much money they have in thier back pocket on match day.

I'm all for following the team through thick and thin. But we actually need a team first.

Aye, a rollercoaster ride. Football's like that, you spend much more time going up than you actually spend up.

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Aye, a rollercoaster ride. Football's like that, you spend much more time going up than you actually spend up.

Aye, but roller coasters actually go up at some point. We've just been going down, followed by more down, folowed by even more down. We must be well below the Earths crust by now.

Hibrandenburg
23-08-2013, 02:10 PM
How can expectations be too high? Nobodies asking Hibs to win the league.

Top 6 should be standard. Top 3 should be expected. That's not high expectations, that's simply where we should be.

**** me if everything was a foregone conclusion then there'd be no point going to the games. How did you ever survive us getting relegated.

Hibrandenburg
23-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Aye, but roller coasters actually go up at some point. We've just been going down, followed by more down, folowed by even more down. We must be well below the Earths crust by now.

Wow, what a dark world you live in. We'll rise again.

Stringer
23-08-2013, 02:14 PM
This is Wenger's mental strength stuff. Pat will trot out this quote in every post match loss.

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:16 PM

And in this dark word, the darkest place is Easter Road at the moment. :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:18 PM
**** me if everything was a foregone conclusion then there'd be no point going to the games. How did you ever survive us getting relegated.

I was quite young when we got relegated and never really bothered with football at the time. I would have been devastated though. Just as i'll be devastated if we get relegated this season.

But you make it sound as if relegation is ok for a club like Hibs?

GreenCastle
23-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Glass half empty ?

Expectations too high ? No don't think so - as someone else said -For a capital city club with the resources and fan base we have. Top 6 should be standard. Top 3 should be expected. I would be expecting that even with a stronger Hearts team and Rangers in the league!

Pretty dire being a Hibby - maybe it has been for all those years...I'm not as old as you but been around long enough to have seen the potential - some good times and some terrible times (like relegation).

However I consider Hibs to have the infrastructure and potential to improve and grow and not be dire any longer.

Easy - no

Possible -yes - so rather than us moaning about the past - when don't we as fans try and improve the future and change the face of the club for the next 40 years so we have something positive to talk about.

It's not just as simple as changing the manager - the problem is deeper but the bottom line is what's happening right now isn't good enough and as fans we need to stick together to affect change.

Captain Trips
23-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Things are that bad we passed Doug McClure on the way.

GreenCastle
23-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Strangely after we were relegated we actually played more attractive football and entertained the fans with players like Latapy.

However we shouldn't even be contemplating such a position with the competition in this league (no rangers and a weakened Hearts!).

Stringer
23-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I was quite young when we got relegated and never really bothered with football at the time. I would have been devastated though. Just as i'll be devastated if we get relegated this season.

But you make it sound as if relegation is ok for a club like Hibs?

This Killie game is a 6 pointer.:cb

The relegation chat is awful. This won't be a good season but there is no way we will get relegated.

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Things are that bad we passed Doug McClure on the way.

Was that before or after Mercer? :dunno:

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:25 PM

The relegation chat is awful. This won't be a good season but there is no way we will get relegated.

I hope you're right mate. But just remember that there is the play off format this season for the team that finishes 11th.

If we do happen to finish 11th, I wouldn't put any money on Hibs winning the play off!

Brightside
23-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Can we find out who these players are who are scared of the BIG CROWD. and playing for a BIG team like HIBS. It can only be one or two of the new players...so its Craig and OTJ? The rest have all played for BIG clubs or have been here a while. Craig isnt scared he's just bloody confused.

silverhibee
23-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Is this why we do so well in closed door games.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2013, 02:39 PM

:greengrin

Captain Trips
23-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Why don't we see if Arsenal still have this and we could buy it see how we get on:

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/aug_11/gun__1312808211_125picture_003.jpg

silverhibee
23-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:47 PM

:agree:

2018 will come about Hibs greatest achievement when Petrie finally realises that he had no plan all along and decides to walk out.

Rejoyce!

silverhibee
23-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Why don't we see if Arsenal still have this and we could buy it see how we get on:

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/aug_11/gun__1312808211_125picture_003.jpg

Think this is the way ahead for HFC.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/29/article-2180579-1446695B000005DC-466_964x622.jpg

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Think this is the way ahead for HFC.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/29/article-2180579-1446695B000005DC-466_964x622.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/23v1e95.jpg

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I agree with what he had said in the article and also with the fact that he includes himself in it as well.
Which ever way you peel and boil it though, if we don't get a performance this weekend it will surely be..:bye:

Golden Bear
23-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Really! In reality if you don't score goals or create opportunities then you'll find yourselves in deep merde before very long.

Leith Green
23-08-2013, 03:27 PM
So basically some of Fenlons signings lack mental strength. Or maybe they arent playing for him?? Either he is at fault for signing a bunch of fairys or he has lost sections of the dressing room is my take on it..

Sammy7nil
23-08-2013, 03:33 PM

The team gets the fans it deserves. :agree:

Saorsa
23-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Was that before or after Mercer? :dunno:Definitely efter, Mercer is only 6 ft. under :wink:

Sammy7nil
23-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Look at the league winners over the past 30 years some things are a foregone conclusion. No one outside the OF wins the league.
Look at the top 6 in EPL not many break in that.

Hibs should consistantly finish in top 6 this gives room for improvement or decline. We should expect the odd blip with us dropping occasionally out of the top 6 not the other way round.

LeithBoozy
23-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Well now I know what went wrong in our home game with Malmo, they came out the tunnel and shi$t themselves at the size of the crowd. If it was not so funny Id greet, I will soon be looking forward to the full time excuses than the game. :rolleyes:

silverhibee
23-08-2013, 05:15 PM
http://oi42.tinypic.com/23v1e95.jpg

:greengrin

Captain Trips
23-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Hopefully this will put players ay ease for an easy 3pts:

http://www.nathanandbecky.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Tumbleweed_rolling_2.jpg

Jonnyboy
23-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Just as Jimmy Nichol said to that geezer on George Street the other night.

Not really S. The geezer reported that JN had said some players were unable to deal with the big crowds. Not the same as being unable to deal with big crowd expectations. :agree:

Hiber-nation
23-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Behave, our crowd will never be as bad as that :wink:

jodjam
23-08-2013, 08:27 PM
I'll say this for the last time. ITS HIS JOB! If he thinks they are letting him down he should drop them and let a boy take their place. Stop cuddling the little shiyites. Im sick to death of the rubbish that he continues to spout. Its the SPL not the ****** World Cup!

Totally agree. Maybe cos when coming thru the ranks from 7 a side footy these lads were standouts. Always being praised by coaches/teachers/parents. Now that they can be criticised they may go into their shell tho as you say PF should be capable of addressing this.

MADE IN LEITH
23-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I agree with what he had said in the article and also with the fact that he includes himself in it as well.
Which ever way you peel and boil it though, if we don't get a performance this weekend it will surely be..:bye:
Don't bet on it mate.... I think he will last at least until December and by then it will be too late :rolleyes:

Beefster
24-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Fenlon does love to blame the players.

down-the-slope
24-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Fenlon does love to blame the players.

:confused: Hearts match was the first time in 20 months I remember him 'blaming' players. Always we/us etc before that. Do you not think the players deserve a bit of a kick up the erchie?

Beefster
24-08-2013, 08:03 AM
:confused: Hearts match was the first time in 20 months I remember him 'blaming' players. Always we/us etc before that. Do you not think the players deserve a bit of a kick up the erchie?

I can't do anything about your memory.

I find it a bit rich that the biggest barrier to success at Hibs is complaining about others.