PDA

View Full Version : Kenny miller retires from international football

pontius pilate
23-08-2013, 11:08 AM
As the title states announced to-day so who carries us forward fletch,sparky,Rhodes?.
Best of luck to him at least he went out in a good note

jacomo
23-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Source?

WGS won't worry, he'll know that Hibs have helped to develop a couple of capable strikers to perform for Scotland.

If it is true (and it wouldn't be a surprise), warm appreciation due to Mr K Miller for performing an often thankless task for so many years. He did a very credible job. A real shame that we couldn't get him back to Hibs for the rest of his career.

Future17
23-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Source?

WGS won't worry, he'll know that Hibs have helped to develop a couple of capable strikers to perform for Scotland.

If it is true (and it wouldn't be a surprise), warm appreciation due to Mr K Miller for performing an often thankless task for so many years. He did a very credible job. A real shame that we couldn't get him back to Hibs for the rest of his career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23809765

Fair play to you Kenny, a cracking servant to the cause.

I think the issue of his replacement will be difficult given that Griffiths is probably the closest thing we have to Miller (if Strachan wants to continue to play with the same system) but he's playing at a lower level than Rhodes and Fletcher.

I have a feeling game time may be a serious problem for Fletcher at club-level this season, if the rumours are to be believed.

B.H.F.C
23-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Much as I like Sparky, Fletcher (once fit) will be the man to play through tho middle.

CallumLaidlaw
23-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Was wanting him left out of squads for a while but he's always given 100% and his performance and goal against England was excellent.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2013, 11:30 AM
A fine servant for his country. Cheers Kenny!
(Oh aye and cheers for the tickets too mate! :-) )

jacomo
23-08-2013, 11:31 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/scotland-kenny-miller-retires

Hard to argue with this:

The Scotland manager Gordon Strachan said: "Kenny is a talented player who absolutely gave the best of himself when he was on Scotland duty.

Diclonius
23-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Best of luck and thanks for a fair few important goals Kenny but I can't help feeling relieved that this means he won't still somehow be an automatic first team pick over younger strikers now.

Persevere80
23-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Cant think of a better way to retire from international football after scoring a goal against England. Well done Kenny, all the best.

Future17
23-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Much as I like Sparky, Fletcher (once fit) will be the man to play through tho middle.

Fletcher is a very talented player with a great knack of being in the right place at the right time, however, his work rate isn't high enough for "the Kenny Miller role".

frazeHFC
23-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Was wanting him left out of squads for a while but he's always given 100% and his performance and goal against England was excellent.

:agree: Is a shame to see him retire, pretty much contradicting what I said just an hour before that game! Always gave 100%.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2013, 12:50 PM
He had his critics, but he was never one of those to pick and choose when he turned up. He was also asked to play up front mostly on his own, and he always gave 100% without moaning. He also scored a few and was proud to play for his country.

Well done Kenny. :thumbsup::top marks

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Gave him stick from time to time, but he never lacked the effort.

Will always remember him for his goal at Tynie in the 3-0 thumping. :thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
23-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Would I be right in saying that his first senior goal was at Stranraer?

johnrebus
23-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Would I be right in saying that his first senior goal was at Stranraer?

Think he maybe bagged a few on loan at Stenhousemuir before that.

Could be wrong.

:wink:

Scouse Hibee
23-08-2013, 01:16 PM
:applause: Well done Kenny Miller, great to see him finish on a high note with a superb goal even if it was against England.

BigKev
23-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Delighted for Kenny that his final international goal was at Wembley against England - his performance rolled back the years.

He's not going to be around for the Euro qualifiers so sensible decision to quit now and give others a chance in the remaining World Cup group matches.

Thanks for the memories in dark blue Kenny.

essexhibee
23-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Now I look back at it he took far too much stick under the Levein era. Always tried his heart out and it wasn't his fault he kept getting picked. I admire him greatly because when those in England pulled out of the friendly squads because basically they couldn't be arsed kenny always still travelled to the games....regardless of the fact he may have been thousands of miles away.

Great time for him to bow out after a special performance and goal at Wembley. Gave me the greatest monent of jubilation in football for a long time. Thanks for the memories kenny.

Stringer
23-08-2013, 02:18 PM
thank ****

Rhodes, Fletcher and Griffiths all deserve a chance.

lyonhibs
23-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Can't say - from a purely footballing POV - that this is a bad thing, but a great servant to the national team.

Tried his heart out, scored a few important goals and never hid, despite the temptation - I imagine - being pretty strong seeing as he was repeatedly asked to play the "utterly isolated" lone striker role.

GreenCastle
23-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for this goal against the yams in the Millenium Derby - http://youtu.be/j0vsKXaAmVM

Was going mental when the 3rd went in :greengrin

H18sry
23-08-2013, 02:32 PM
thank ****

Rhodes, Fletcher and Griffiths all deserve a chance.

Pretty harsh, always gave it his all when asked and often asked to perform a thankful task.

Cheers for the memories Kenny and to share the Wembley pitch with you in your final game was an honour :greengrin

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:34 PM
I know it gets said about a lot of retired players. But I wouldn't mind him returning to Hibs as a fitness coach. He could teach some of the lads a think or 2, or even 3.

Plenty of experience and knows the Scottish game better than most.

TheFamous1875
23-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Is their still a chance ofKenny coming to Hibs?

I have a feeling game time may be a serious problem for Fletcher at club-level this season, if the rumours are to be believed.
What rumours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jacomo
23-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Fletcher is a very talented player with a great knack of being in the right place at the right time, however, his work rate isn't high enough for "the Kenny Miller role".

It's not the 'Kenny Miller' role, though, is it? It's the centre forward position for Scotland. Fletcher won't run around as much, true, but he's more powerful. I think he will do a very fine job.

cabbageandribs1875
23-08-2013, 03:15 PM
well done the wee man, always gave 100% for his country :agree:

Thecat23
23-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I've just sent Kenny the link to this thread. Nice to see nearly all saying good things about him. The one comment that has a go I think personally is harsh. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but each to their own.

Gave his all for Scotland in a time players couldn't care less about their country and had to play alone for so long under Levien.

keep the faith
23-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Miller has been an absolute credit to himself. Keeps himself fit, works his socks off and leads the line superbly. Gutted we didnt try and get him home. He would be a real role model to the young lads in the side. Maybe the Jan window?
Thanks for the goals In the dark blue Kenny!

Sammy7nil
23-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Hear Hear :agree:

Leishy1995
23-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Probably the one player who's goal vs England was so well recieved. Fantastic servant and deserved that moment

Purehibee_MYB
23-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Love him or hate him, you cannot question his dedication, passion and enthusiasm in playing for Scotland. Ran himself ragged at times and never hid when things weren't going well for the whole team. Thanks Kenny for 12 years of fantastic service! Should definitely return to us! :flag:(P.S. See you at the Whitecaps game tomorrow! Grab a goal! :greengrin)

Gettin' Auld
23-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Good luck to Kenny Miller for the future and hope to see him back at Easter Rd to end his career where it started. Always turned up and gave 100% for Scotland, you can't ask for any more than that.

Great way to end your international career with a cracking goal against the auld enemy on their own patch. ;)

Biggie
23-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Well done km, great career capped off with a terrific goal against England........

hibee_girl
23-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Had a feeling he'd retire after the England game, he's never going to top scoring for Scotland against them.

Someone said on twitter earlier today that for people our age he's probably the best scotland striker we've seen!

hfc rd
23-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Come back to Hibs Kenny!!

Golden Bear
23-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your contribution Kenny. He continued to improve throughout his professional career and is a shining example of what can be achieved with hard work and dedication .

Others should take note!

SJNB Hibby
23-08-2013, 06:14 PM
By no small coincidence??? a nice profile in todays Globe & Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/kenny-miller-red-hot-whitecap/article13930617/

sadtom
23-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Would love him back.
Fantastic professional and a real role model for younger pros.
Always gave everything and left nothing on the pitch. Had a lot more ability than he's been given credit for too.
That game at Hampdump against Italy he almost carried us to victory single handidly. Not sure i've ever seen an experienced Italian defence look so ragged as that day.
Enjoy your international retirement Kenny, you deserve it.

iwasthere1972
23-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Well done Kenny if you're reading this. :aok:

Fantastic servant to his country and always gave 100%. The one man up front is so often a thankless task but he did well. Especially any England.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Gave his all for Scotland, and scored us some really important goals in big games.Time is right as we now have a good crop of forwards coming through.

Great way to bow out with a cracker against England! :top marks

California-Hibs
23-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Brilliant servant for Scotland, scored some cracking/important goals, and as has been mentioned, ALWAYS turned up and ran his socks off for the team. An excellent dedicated pro. Some of the critics he got were laughable!

Come back to Hibs Kenny, where it all started! You'd be fantastic for us! Fenlon must be off his head if he isn't interested!!

lEXO
23-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Good luck to him. A player who made the most of his career so far. A total professional who never ducked out of a Scotland squad unlike a few others. He played the lone striker role well and probably not given enough credit. I will never forget him scoring the 3rd goal in the Millenium derby right in front of me. You could see what it meant to him. That game is still one of my favourites..