PDA

View Full Version : All the Hibees are gay

Sanger
23-08-2013, 08:18 AM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23796712

right let's get the crown prosecution service onto the Yams!

Leith Green
23-08-2013, 08:21 AM

They would need to play in a different country for a start!

Bill Milne
23-08-2013, 08:22 AM
It has always struck me as distinctly odd that Edinburgh cops consistently ignore the rampant homophobia represented by this chant. Apart from anything else, there must be a good few gay Hertz' fans made very uncomfortable by this.

danhibees1875
23-08-2013, 08:24 AM
It has always struck me as distinctly odd that Edinburgh cops consistently ignore the rampant homophobia represented by this chant. Apart from anything else, there must be a good few gay Hertz' fans made very uncomfortable by this.

Perhaps, like most Hibs fans, they don't care about a little song. :dunno:

We aren't in any position to get on our high horse anyway.

Bostonhibby
23-08-2013, 08:28 AM

:agree: Indeed, does make you wonder if there is anything in this establishment club allegation we often hear about in relation to the yam. The same blind eye seems to have been turned to chasing payment of the police charges for policing tiny as well:wink:

hibby rae
23-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Perhaps, like most Hibs fans, they don't care about a little song. :dunno:

We aren't in any position to get on our high horse anyway.

Agreed, do they even still sing it? I always thought 'All the Hibess get paid' was a great retort. But the Mercer songs hardly make us boy scouts.

wearethehibs
23-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Is anyone really offended by a silly little chant like that.

Sanger
23-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Gay people? I certainly do when I take gay friends and family to the derby. I also try and shout are refugees song down which is equally repulsive.

Bostonhibby
23-08-2013, 08:42 AM

I never used to be in the early 70's where I must admit we were all rather jolly and had a lot to be happy about so it was pretty good of them to recognise it at the time.

It is starting to rattle me now though as its clearly out of date, with all the disappointments we have had and the long term eye watering football we have had to put up with I do think they should have updated it by now to something more up to date.

Replacing the word gay and its implied joviality with something like pisd off, angry, depressed, fed up or even can't be bothered anymore seems more relevant to the times we are currently in, hopefully the yam won't catch on though.:wink:

frazeHFC
23-08-2013, 08:45 AM
It's like a chant you'd hear in primary school so in no way does it offend me when they sing it. And as said songs about refugees and dead people doesn't really make us any better tbh.

Backto my roots
23-08-2013, 08:45 AM

They still sing the Hello Hello song which I'm sure was banned by UEFA and get away with that so will not be worried about this.

Holmesdale Hibs
23-08-2013, 08:46 AM

I don't consider that song homophobic. They sing it for a laugh and to wind us up, not because any of them hate gay people.

Anyone on here sing 'you fat *******' before? I have, and it doesn't mean I hate fat people.

Don't get me wrong, I think 'all the hibees are gay' is a **** song, I'd just stop well short of reporting people to the police for singing it.

Phil D. Rolls
23-08-2013, 08:52 AM

As a White Stripes fan, I am absolutely incandescent. I have written to Jack several times urging him to condemn this, but it seems that he is part of the same establishment cabal that lets the Yams run roughshod over other people's feelings.

Deansy
23-08-2013, 09:14 AM
It shows a latent desire for themselves - and there's a lot of them that sing it !!

clerriehibs
23-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't consider that song homophobic. They sing it for a laugh and to wind us up, not because any of them hate gay people.

Anyone on here sing 'you fat *******' before? I have, and it doesn't mean I hate fat people.

Don't get me wrong, I think 'all the hibees are gay' is a **** song, I'd just stop well short of reporting people to the police for singing it.

What does the fat person think when you shout it though?

By the same token, someone shouting "you black b%&%&%#" doesn't necessarily hate all black people. But it's despicable to shout it, nonetheless

Keith_M
23-08-2013, 11:02 AM
TBH, it's a bit pathetic, as football banter goes.

If actual Gay people are genuinely offended by it, they should report it to the police. I'll just carry on ignoring the childish chant.

Do some Hibs fans still sing about Rudi being a refugee? Whether or not that actually is racist, it's both stupid and embarrassing. For one, it implies there's something wrong with being a refugee (otherwise why bother using the term in this manner) and for another, it's bl**dy stupid, as he is nothing but someone working outside his own country, as you'll find at almost any football club.

Actually, by the standards of those that sing this song I must be a refugee as well....

Phil MaGlass
23-08-2013, 11:09 AM
wtf is the world coming to, oooh the Hibees are gay, who really gies a toss, its a bloody silly wee song that was sung at a cup final while white stripes song was on. gave me a wee laugh at the time, it is not an attack on the gay community, and it doesnt bother me, wtf has fitba come to that folk have to wet themselves over things like this, it doesnt incite hertz fans to attack gay people before, during or after a game, and to even make similarities to calling someone "you black b%&%&%#", theres no f,n comparison.Some of you folk need tae take up badminton (Charlie) or something less stressful than fitba.jeeesus

SunshineOnLeith
23-08-2013, 11:14 AM
What does the fat person think when you shout it though?

By the same token, someone shouting "you black b%&%&%#" doesn't necessarily hate all black people. But it's despicable to shout it, nonetheless

They're not comparable at all, as being fat is bad.

LeithBoozy
23-08-2013, 11:24 AM
wtf is the world coming to, oooh the Hibees are gay, who really gies a toss, its a bloody silly wee song that was sung at a cup final while white stripes song was on. gave me a wee laugh at the time, it is not an attack on the gay community, and it doesnt bother me, wtf has fitba come to that folk have to wet themselves over things like this, it doesnt incite hertz fans to attack gay people before, during or after a game, and to even make similarities to calling someone "you black b%&%&%#", theres no f,n comparison.Some of you folk need tae take up badminton (Charlie) or something less stressful than fitba.jeeesus

It might very well Insult the members in our very own Gay Gordon's branch, who are Gay and proud ! FTH.

Finbar
23-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I've never been bothered by the song but... I saw one of then wearing a t shirt with that printed on it and for some reason I found that offensive. All to do with context I suppose, as a football chant it's quite funny in a childish sort of way but written down it seems more serious, premeditated.

hibsbollah
23-08-2013, 11:29 AM
After Petries announcement the other night, we should reclaim it...
'All Hibees are agoraphobic'.

Keith_M
23-08-2013, 11:37 AM
It might very well Insult the members in our very own Gay Gordon's branch, who are Gay and proud ! FTH.

I thought that name was only ever intended as a joke.

:confused:

Newry Hibs
23-08-2013, 11:38 AM
When I first heard the chant, at the semi final, I was convinced they were singing 'Oh the Hibees again' as a reference to the 4 goal humpings they had been giving us at the time. I found this much more cutting as a Hibs fan then when told what had actually been sung.

Diclonius
23-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Hey, at least Dean Shiels still doesn't play for us. Then they'd be in some ****. :rolleyes:

#FromTheCapital
23-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Its just a chant that doesn't even really get sang anymore. Have to admit one of my favourite derbies was the 2-1 win at ER just after the 4-0 pumping in the semi when this chant started. They started chanting it at the beginning of the match and we turned it round to 'Paul Hartley is Gay' which obviously wound him up quite a bit as he went of the pitch holding 4 fingers up to our fans.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I think we've got far more pressing concerns at the moment that a stupid song that is sung to us by our rivals.

If anyone's banned or arrested as a result of singing that then the world's gone mad.

clerriehibs
23-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Its just a chant that doesn't even really get sang anymore. Have to admit one of my favourite derbies was the 2-1 win at ER just after the 4-0 pumping in the semi when this chant started. They started chanting it at the beginning of the match and we turned it round to 'Paul Hartley is Gay' which obviously wound him up quite a bit as he went of the pitch holding 4 fingers up to our fans.

was the wind up at that game not a version of the romanov ditty, using words such as vladimir, sucks, hartley and off?

silverhibee
23-08-2013, 12:19 PM
And what about the gingers, will they get more protection in the summer. :cb

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Some people are offended by everything.

I'm a ginger and think some of the chants are hillarous. Takes me back to high school. :tee hee:

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Is it compulsory?

Albanian Hibs
23-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Does anyone actually get offended by this song?

TAHibby
23-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Does anyone actually get offended by this song?

I sing it myself sometimes, it's quite catchy! Would people be offended it it was "all the hibees are heterosexual"?

Phil D. Rolls
23-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I sing it myself sometimes, it's quite catchy! Would people be offended it it was "all the hibees are heterosexual"?

Oh we'll, if you sing it yourself that's a game changer!:greengrin

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Catchy like Spandau Ballet and Erasure?

:devil:

johnrebus
23-08-2013, 12:50 PM
This thread reminds me of a 'Chewing the Fat', sketch with the two camp Kelvinsiders visiting Firrhill, not to watch the footie but to listen the usual swearing, abuse, chanting etc. etc.

They left after a few minutes declaring, 'ach, we're only here for the banter'. (Repeat in camp middle class Glasgow accent)

:angelic:

TAHibby
23-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Oh we'll, if you sing it yourself that's a game changer!:greengrin

:greengrin: maybe it's my imagination but I swear there was a chorus of it coming from us at tynecastle in January.

Phil D. Rolls
23-08-2013, 12:56 PM
:greengrin: maybe it's my imagination but I swear there was a chorus of it coming from us at tynecastle in January.

The case against the PC Brigade seems to be unchallengeable now.

TAHibby
23-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Catchy like Spandau Ballet and Erasure?

:devil:

:tee hee:

Sanger
23-08-2013, 01:58 PM
The case against the PC Brigade seems to be unchallengeable now.

yes confirmed my worst fears about many football fans: probably why gay players are frightened to come out.

Sanger
23-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Think about it for a minute a song sung by them about is is only going to derogatory. So they are saying being gay is a derogatory state. Condoning the song or being indifferent to it is as goos as condoning homophobia.

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 02:14 PM
yes confirmed my worst fears about many football fans: probably why gay players are frightened to come out.

Why would a gay player have to "come out" anyway? Should hetrosexuals all come out as well?

Surely it just shouldn't matter?

basehibby
23-08-2013, 02:23 PM

:agree: It would serve as an afront to their individuality and identity as Hibs' premier gay supporters branch. I can just here them say "All Hibees are gay? Well **** this for a laugh then, lets just cancel the T-Shirts and join the Abbeyhill branch."

Gettin' Auld
23-08-2013, 03:01 PM

They'd have to move to england before you could do that

CropleyWasGod
23-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Why would a gay player have to "come out" anyway? Should hetrosexuals all come out as well?

Surely it just shouldn't matter?

You just don't get it , do you? :rolleyes:

neilmartinrocks
23-08-2013, 03:10 PM
After Petries announcement the other night, we should reclaim it...
'All Hibees are agoraphobic'.

Or in their case AGRAPHOBIC. ;)

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 03:13 PM
You just don't get it , do you? :rolleyes:

You're right, I don't.

I don't see why such a big deal is made out of these things.

CropleyWasGod
23-08-2013, 03:27 PM
You're right, I don't.

I don't see why such a big deal is made out of these things.

One of the barriers to gay men and women living peaceful lives is the judgementalism of others. ie the fear that their jobs and personal safety might be jeopardised by the attitudes of others. Whilst it is much easier for them than it was when I was your age, it is still a big step to take to declare that their sexuality is different from the norm.

Mix that in with the environment of the football stadium, where old-school attitudes are often still the norm, and where any excuse to have a go at the opposition is considered fair-game..... and you might begin to understand just why gay footballers are very reluctant to come out.

basehibby
23-08-2013, 03:35 PM

...or maybe he's refering to his fear of expensive wooly jumpers

Hibercelona
23-08-2013, 03:36 PM
One of the barriers to gay men and women living peaceful lives is the judgementalism of others. ie the fear that their jobs and personal safety might be jeopardised by the attitudes of others. Whilst it is much easier for them than it was when I was your age, it is still a big step to take to declare that their sexuality is different from the norm.

Mix that in with the environment of the football stadium, where old-school attitudes are often still the norm, and where any excuse to have a go at the opposition is considered fair-game..... and you might begin to understand just why gay footballers are very reluctant to come out.

Being gay isn't different from the norm though. It's that way of thinking that creates the stigma in the first place.

There's nothing special about gay people either. They're just regular people like the rest of us. If somebody wants to openly say that they're gay, then thats up to them. But no gay person should feel pressured into doing so. They're perfectly ordinary people.

They'll always be those who judge others. Whether it's the persons sexuality, disability or something to do with their appearance.

But honestly, if somebody is happy with themselves, they're really not going to care what others have to say.

I know quite a fair few gay people and all of them share this view point.

CropleyWasGod
23-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Being gay isn't different from the norm though. It's that way of thinking that creates the stigma in the first place.

There's nothing special about gay people either. They're just regular people like the rest of us. If somebody wants to openly say that they're gay, then thats up to them. But no gay person should feel pressured into doing so. They're perfectly ordinary people.

They'll always be those who judge others. Whether it's the persons sexuality, disability or something to do with their appearance.

But honestly, if somebody is happy with themselves, they're really not going to care what others have to say.

I know quite a fair few gay people and all of them share this view point.

I agree with you there. However, perception is important in this, as well as many other issues in life. If it is "perceived" that one will be discriminated against if one is gay, then you can understand the fear.

I would say that, in the particular environment of football, it is not a "perception" that one will be abused. I would say it's a "certainty".

lord bunberry
23-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Is it compulsory?

No but it's frowned upon if your not.

#FromTheCapital
23-08-2013, 04:01 PM
was the wind up at that game not a version of the romanov ditty, using words such as vladimir, sucks, hartley and off?

Think that also got an airing, was a very anti-Paul Hartley day :fenlon
One of my funniest memories of that day was after the game. I was standing outside the Harp & Castle (or Jayne's as it was then) with my mates and a Paul Hartley look-a-like walked past who was nothing to do with football. The whole pub started chanting 'Paul Hartley is Gay' at him, the look on his face was priceless he didn't even know who Hartley was

Famous Fiver
23-08-2013, 04:08 PM
A return chant of Peados, Peados, usually shuts them up.

hibsbollah
23-08-2013, 04:12 PM

:dunno: you've lost me.
Unless this is one of those 'spelling policeman gets it wrong' posts :hmmm: :greengrin

lapsedhibee
23-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Nothing worse than suffering from a morbid, irrational fear of the Taj Mahal.

sadtom
23-08-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm not gay but my boyfriend is. :-)
Personally i think we should mock their homophobia and retort with a big "Ooooh! Get you!" or "We're happy and gay." (if only we were bloody happy!)
It's dodgy purile, backward, reactionary crap befitting their club. Let those 1970's cavemen get on with it. While we mock and lampoon their Alf Garnet like attitudes.
Get the half time DJ to play TRB's "Glad to be gay" while the club makes a donation to a gay charity.
Show them up for the unreconstructed apes that they are, while we show ourselves to be the open minded, progressive forward thinking club that we should be, and generally are.

neilmartinrocks
23-08-2013, 04:59 PM
:dunno: you've lost me.
Unless this is one of those 'spelling policeman gets it wrong' posts :hmmm: :greengrin

One is a fear of open spaces the other is a fear of sexual abuse. Both sound the same ;)

joe breezy
23-08-2013, 05:01 PM
There's loads of songs pre 1970s about being gay and it seems to mean very happy.

Oh the Hibees are really happy is what it means.

Franck Stanton
23-08-2013, 06:04 PM
F*** them. Who gives a s**t ?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Same post 1hr 45mins after the previous one, strange!

sadtom
23-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Same post 1hr 45mins after the previous one, strange!

Yer no' kiddin'. Gawd knows what happened there!