PDA

View Full Version : We will fight wherever we may be...

rcarter1
23-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Things are really grim on this board, and at ER. Didnt go to to the DuUtd game, but Sect43 seems to have gone (?). There is a total disconnect between fans and club. The fans are not responsible for the last few years decline, but the situation now means pixxed off fans feeds unconfident players and we are in viscous circle. Continued decline and relegation this or next season starts to look a possibility.

Regardless of how we feel about the manager, RP etc, Id like to see something proactive come from the stands. I think we need to identify the players that people think are up the job and can take the heat. Somehow we need to rally around this core (and if possible lay off/ignore the deadwood), with the aim of pushing them to drag the rest with them as best they can.

Im suggesting that we ignore for the moment those we are unhappy with, until at least the next transfer window or end of season - and then when the time is right try to act decisively. Meanwhile if we dont rally round in some fashion we stand to lose our identity completely.

If we support nothing at the club, what are we?

Jones28
23-08-2013, 08:18 AM
My feeling towards the club at this point are my most worrying. I'm not even angry, I just don't give a ****. I never thought I would feel that way about Hibs, but that is what's coming out at the moment. We play at a stadium which, with the old East had a bit of character about it but now just feels soulless, especially with sect. 43 gone. Against Malmo it was proven that the club has support, a massive support. I think that's the most Hibs fans I've seen at Easter road. The atmosphere was amazing for the first 10 minutes, the rest is history.

I don't agree with the Petrie Out brigade, He is a solid chairman who is a good negotiator and has a bit of financial nouse about him. However I do think that bringing in a director of football is something that has to be down to improve the product on the park.

Over the next 18 months for example: bring in, for arguments sake Pat Nevin, as a director of football; get the team playing the right kind of football by installing a clear, concise footballing philosophy at the club (ala Swansea); Fenlons contract doesn't get renewed and instead bring in someone who knows the Scottish game.

Stantons Angel
23-08-2013, 10:22 AM
there are many threads on here all saying the same things in different ways and i dont think this one is any different from the others.

The bottom line for me is that for the past few decades of supporting Hibs, i have seen players and managers come and go on a merry go round.

we have played two games in the new season and mayhem has broken out on this board. Last season we qualified for the Scottish Cup Final for the second time in a row, a feat that we had not recorded before. Again we were glorious in defeat but the fans were the winners hands down. You sang your hearts out, you supported the team and the team appreciated it and worked that bit harder.

We qualified for Europe and hopes and expectations were as usual too high. We were humiliated 9-0 there is no more i can add to that!

Without this humiliation the results of the first two games would not have given rise to the euphoria of negativity that exists around us at the moment.

Rod Petrie met with supporters this week, everything that was said at this meeting had already been said in an earlier meeting at the Hibs club not so long ago. Yes every thing he said, he said that day too. Did you really expect anything different?

In the last few years the club has worked with supporters to bridge the gap between them and it has been quite successful if you would only look. Section 43 seem to have lost their way at the moment and dont seem to have the strength to fight the negative atmosphere at Easter Road. Ive no doubt that when things settle down they will appear again.

The accusations and personal insults aimed at players and board alike have been upsetting to say the least.
It makes me wonder just how many on the board letting off steam actually go to the games at all? The protest last week showed that sitting in front of a computer letting off steam doesnt help.

Tomorrow sees us in Killie for which is always a hard game and Hibs will need your support. We have a very young team who need to be nurtured, at the moment they are terrified to put a foot wrong or get booed!

If your going to Killie tomorrow get behind them, you can stay negative and scowl and waste your money. OR you can try and vent you passion in another way by supporting the team............ They need you!

Stevie Reid
23-08-2013, 10:29 AM
My feeling towards the club at this point are my most worrying. I'm not even angry, I just don't give a ****. I never thought I would feel that way about Hibs, but that is what's coming out at the moment. We play at a stadium which, with the old East had a bit of character about it but now just feels soulless, especially with sect. 43 gone. Against Malmo it was proven that the club has support, a massive support. I think that's the most Hibs fans I've seen at Easter road. The atmosphere was amazing for the first 10 minutes, the rest is history.

I don't agree with the Petrie Out brigade, He is a solid chairman who is a good negotiator and has a bit of financial nouse about him. However I do think that bringing in a director of football is something that has to be down to improve the product on the park.

Over the next 18 months for example: bring in, for arguments sake Pat Nevin, as a director of football; get the team playing the right kind of football by installing a clear, concise footballing philosophy at the club (ala Swansea); Fenlons contract doesn't get renewed and instead bring in someone who knows the Scottish game.

Whilst he seems like a lovely guy, I have read on several occasions that whilst as Chief Executive of Motherwell, Nevin played a significant part in their descent into administration by paying way OTT wages on decidedly average players.

I know you only used him as an example, but I would imagine that appointing the right DOF comes with as many risks as employing the right manager.

WestEndHibee
23-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Ive been waiting for this, a sensible post on a sensible thread. I understand why Petrie gets abuse but he is a very good person to have at the top. His footballing decisions aren't topper though hence the "Petrie hasn't a clue" statements. I think a director of football could transform the club. But it has to be the right guy. He has to have vision and passion and a great ethos and he must be given influence throughout the club. This is who the manager should be answerable to. Hibs need a massive shake up but just sacking and replacing isn't the answer (even if that's what the majority call for). The proof is in the range of managers we have had that have all faltered, been sacked and been replaced.

But for the moment, the fans could do nothing worse than boo, swear and have a tantrum at every bad pass. We need to encourage and get the most out of this team meanwhile democratically workout a new plan for the club, with the club.

Keith_M
23-08-2013, 10:46 AM
OK, let's say the fans DO get behind the team and it STILL works out badly... then what?

The Singing section and Sect43 were started to add some atmosphere to games, during a time of mostly turgid football with poor results. The fans that turned up at the 2012 & 2013 finals were absolutely fantastic and largely outsung the opposition both before and at the beginning of the games. We had 16,000 people turning up at a home game against Malmö where we little to no chance of going through but they backed the team with their money and their lungs.

Where did all the above get us exactly?

Maybe blindly backing the team and NOT calling for change is what we've been doing all along and is, in fact, the wrong option. We need change, whether that is getting Rod out or someone else in to run the club on a full time basis instead. The manager also doesn't seem to have a clue how to get his team playing football; should we stick with him despite that?

clerriehibs
23-08-2013, 10:53 AM
OK, let's say the fans DO get behind the team and it STILL works out badly... then what?

The Singing section and Sect43 were started to add some atmosphere to games, during a time of mostly turgid football with poor results. The fans that turned up at the 2012 & 2013 finals were absolutely fantastic and largely outsung the opposition both before and at the beginning of the games. We had 16,000 people turning up at a home game against Malmö where we little to no chance of going through but they backed the team with their money and their lungs.

Maybe blindly backing the team and NOT calling for change is what we've been doing all along and is, in fact, the wrong option. We need change, whether that is getting Rod out or someone else in to run the club on a full time basis instead. The manager also doesn't seem to have a clue how to get his team playing football; should we stick with him despite that?

"not calling for change"??

Unfortunately, that's what a noisy proportion of Hibs fans do, hence the ridiculous number of managers over the past few years, and that hasn't come cheap.

Keith_M
23-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Unfortunately, that's what a noisy proportion of Hibs fans do, hence the ridiculous number of managers over the past few years, and that hasn't come cheap.

But is the only genuine option to just sit back and accept mediocrity?

Judas Iscariot
23-08-2013, 11:24 AM

This 100% for me

jacomo
23-08-2013, 11:27 AM
If your going to Killie tomorrow get behind them, you can stay negative and scowl and waste your money. OR you can try and vent you passion in another way by supporting the team............ They need you!

I don't think the away support is the issue at this moment in time. Our problem is the unhappy anti-fortress that is ER.

HibeeMassive
23-08-2013, 11:32 AM
But is the only genuine option to just sit back and accept mediocrity?

Not at all - the best option all round would be to back the team for 90 minutes, week in week out. Give them our full support and get behind them to try and bring home the points. This is the best shot we have at making the most out of what we have available to watch at the time - regardless of how good or bad that product is.

Or if it's been really bad, as soon as that final whistle goes then let the player know your feelings. But until that whistle goes anything can happen and the more backing the players get, the more chance of a positive outcome we all have.

Then we have 6 days (generally speaking) between games to make our feelings known to the club about things which are not working out. If that involves meetings with the club, sending emails, protests etc then so be it.

Keith_M
23-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Not at all - the best option all round would be to back the team for 90 minutes, week in week out. Give them our full support and get behind them to try and bring home the points. This is the best shot we have at making the most out of what we have available to watch at the time - regardless of how good or bad that product is.

Or if it's been really bad, as soon as that final whistle goes then let the player know your feelings. But until that whistle goes anything can happen and the more backing the players get, the more chance of a positive outcome we all have.

Then we have 6 days (generally speaking) between games to make our feelings known to the club about things which are not working out. If that involves meetings with the club, sending emails, protests etc then so be it.

OK, so you are actually in favour of change. I also wouldn't be in favour of booing the players during a match, as that is counter productive.

Basically we're in agreement then. B*gger, you've just spoiled my whole day!!

:wink:

Waxy
23-08-2013, 11:41 AM
If the players don't seem to care, then why should the fans?

B.H.F.C
23-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't think the away support is the issue at this moment in time. Our problem is the unhappy anti-fortress that is ER.

Its only unhappy because of what is in front of us.

The support are completely blameless in what is going on. We have turned up in numbers and it doesn't make a difference. We have stayed away and it doesn't make a difference. We've tried to encourage and it doesn't make a difference. We've gave them abuse and it doesn't make a difference.

Supporters will only react to what is in front of them. Easter Road will only be a happy place if the team are winning.

Big Frank
23-08-2013, 12:00 PM

nope clerrie, not buying that at all. The correlation you are looking for is **** results over a sustained period = new manager. Same for every football club in existance.

The fans calling for change is a side product. The catalyst is the **** football on display.

not directed at you here clerrie ; but this myth that Hibernian fans constantly get on players backs, and we don't support the club, or back them in the correct was is a complete crock of ****. Its just is. Time its was put to bed.

I cannae think of another set of football fans who have had to suffer like the fans of Hibernian. (relative to her size and stature in scotland obviously)

WestEndHibee
23-08-2013, 12:16 PM

because the club is a lot more than just the players. :dunno:

Hibrandenburg
23-08-2013, 12:26 PM

Because the players are merely servants of the club and we are the club.

rcarter1
23-08-2013, 12:45 PM

this.

Match day should be supportive, post match a different story. The players and the management team can be treated as separate entities.

HibeeMassive
23-08-2013, 01:22 PM
B*gger, you've just spoiled my whole day!!

:wink:

I aim to please :greengrin

clerriehibs
23-08-2013, 01:59 PM
nope clerrie, not buying that at all. The correlation you are looking for is **** results over a sustained period = new manager. Same for every football club in existance.

The fans calling for change is a side product. The catalyst is the **** football on display.

not directed at you here clerrie ; but this myth that Hibernian fans constantly get on players backs, and we don't support the club, or back them in the correct was is a complete crock of ****. Its just is. Time its was put to bed.

I cannae think of another set of football fans who have had to suffer like the fans of Hibernian. (relative to her size and stature in scotland obviously)

I can; Aberdeen
homfc

Man City, until very recently.
Newcastle.
Leeds Utd

And in any cou.try, any top tier club that isn't part of the 1 or 2 perennial winning clubs.

We're not unique.

Big Frank
23-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I can; Aberdeen
homfc

Man City, until very recently.
Newcastle.
Leeds Utd

And in any cou.try, any top tier club that isn't part of the 1 or 2 perennial winning clubs.

We're not unique.

Aberdeen. Yep, since fergie time, I would suggest they are relative to us. Thats when they did their damage. Since ferguson they have trundle on. Taken the same **** as us? still a no from me.

Ho*fc. yer kidding. They have suffered football wise like us? They have dominated us since 1982 barring a couple of squads, consistantly finished higher than us in the last 30 years, had better europe and scottish cup adventures. aye, the puddledrinkers have had as bad a time as us right enough.

but I will give you the toon. :greengrin

wookie70
23-08-2013, 04:35 PM
You would think that a big loud support would make a difference to Hibs. In my experience though big noisy support tend to equal poor performance on the pitch. The more the fans have been up for a game the more I have felt the players have let us down. Doesn't make sense but it happens more often than not. Mercer game, Cup Finals, Malmo, numerous Derbies. Generally if you hear Hibees here Hibees there you are in for a disappointment. I am a half empty type though!

Chuck Rhoades
23-08-2013, 04:50 PM
there are many threads on here all saying the same things in different ways and i dont think this one is any different from the others.

The bottom line for me is that for the past few decades of supporting Hibs, i have seen players and managers come and go on a merry go round.

we have played two games in the new season and mayhem has broken out on this board. Last season we qualified for the Scottish Cup Final for the second time in a row, a feat that we had not recorded before. Again we were glorious in defeat but the fans were the winners hands down. You sang your hearts out, you supported the team and the team appreciated it and worked that bit harder.

We qualified for Europe and hopes and expectations were as usual too high. We were humiliated 9-0 there is no more i can add to that!

Without this humiliation the results of the first two games would not have given rise to the euphoria of negativity that exists around us at the moment.

Rod Petrie met with supporters this week, everything that was said at this meeting had already been said in an earlier meeting at the Hibs club not so long ago. Yes every thing he said, he said that day too. Did you really expect anything different?

In the last few years the club has worked with supporters to bridge the gap between them and it has been quite successful if you would only look. Section 43 seem to have lost their way at the moment and dont seem to have the strength to fight the negative atmosphere at Easter Road. Ive no doubt that when things settle down they will appear again.

The accusations and personal insults aimed at players and board alike have been upsetting to say the least.
It makes me wonder just how many on the board letting off steam actually go to the games at all? The protest last week showed that sitting in front of a computer letting off steam doesnt help.

Tomorrow sees us in Killie for which is always a hard game and Hibs will need your support. We have a very young team who need to be nurtured, at the moment they are terrified to put a foot wrong or get booed!

We'll be back in the usual spot next Saturday. Hopefully in numbers.

vercol36
23-08-2013, 06:59 PM
We'll be back in the usual spot next Saturday. Hopefully in numbers.

Drum an a'?

Saorsa
23-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Maybe blindly backing the team and NOT calling for change is what we've been doing all along and is, in fact, the wrong option. We need change, whether that is getting Rod out or someone else in to run the club on a full time basis instead. The manager also doesn't seem to have a clue how to get his team playing football; should we stick with him despite that?But those crowds frightened some of the players, that was the problem there. :agree:

FifeHibernian
24-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Almost everything about Hibs just depresses me at the moment.

I thought I didn't care but it's not just that. It's numbness (without trying to sound over dramatic) brought on by continuously being kicked in the baws over the last 2 or 3 years.

I do still care about Hibs but I'm sort of sterilised into automatically thinking "what's the ****ing point" whenever I consider them at the moment.

If you ask me we need to fight for our club at the moment because there's a danger we will lose it to apathy.

And when we do finally get some glory it'll make it even sweeter when we know we stuck by the team through this period of pish.

Hibercelona
24-08-2013, 02:13 AM
The fans are to blame IMO.

We're scaring the players by turning up in numbers and doing every thing we can to back them to the hult. Chants of "We are Hibernian FC" and "Glory Glory" are terrifying the poor wee souls.

Big clubs don't bring big fan bases, we should know better.