PDA

View Full Version : Travel Berlin

Aldo
22-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Looking to take Mrs Aldo away for her 40th in November and a mate mentioned Berlin.

Have had a look on Internet and it looks great.

Has anyone been and can advise if its worth a wee visit.

Cheers

Leith Green
22-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Looking to take Mrs Aldo away for her 40th in November and a mate mentioned Berlin.

Cheers

Quite simply the best city I have visited, think its the mix of its past in the post war era and its modern day freedom that make such a quality place. Locals are amazing too.. Stay near checkpoint charlie!

lEXO
22-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Cheers
Berlin is brilliant mate. I was there in march for a few mates birthday weekend. I plan on going back as I missed quite a bit as I was reeking the first few nights. Great rail service, subway etc so easy to get around. Try and do the graffiti tour if you can, I was to hung over to do it funnily enough but my girlfriend and a good few others did and they loved it. Get a kebab for defo, they are the best I have ever had. Try and do the stassi museum, and if you can get into a club good luck. Great place and you just inspired me to get back there but drink less this time.:wink:

kaimendhibs
22-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I haven't been personally but am friends with a couple who love it and can't speak highly enough of the place. I am very tempted to go for my birthday

Sent from my iPhone at home on crutches

scott7_0(Prague)
22-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Cheers

Been 3 times, one of my favourite places, even after 3 visits i still havnt covered all. Contact Hiberlin (i thinks thats his name) he will point you in the right direction.

Aldo
22-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Cheers guys and sorry admin. Should of posted in here.

Defo thinking about it getting good prices for flights just need good hotel etc.

english_hibee
22-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Easily one of my favourite places in europe, go towards the end of November when the xmas markets are starting up, I went a few years back and it was great. The gendarmenmarkt (or something like that!) Was beautiful, down a backstreet from the main road leading to checkpoint charlie. Also worth a trip to is Sachsenhausen, about an hours train ride away. Was a concentration camp so not the cheeriest of days out but definitely worth a visit

skipster7
22-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Easily one of my favourite places in europe, go towards the end of November when the xmas markets are starting up, I went a few years back and it was great. The gendarmenmarkt (or something like that!) Was beautiful, down a backstreet from the main road leading to checkpoint charlie. Also worth a trip to is Sachsenhausen, about an hours train ride away. Was a concentration camp so not the cheeriest of days out but definitely worth a visit

Agree completely, love city breaks but this is far and away the fav.Splashed out a wee bit and stayed at the Melia in Friedrichstrasse. Also done Sachsenhausen and spent a day at Potsdam. would recommend the walking tours leaving from Hackescher Markt.Transport system puts ours to shame as well.Amazing city, Cant go wrong imo:agree:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187323-d589462-Reviews-Melia_Berlin-Berlin.html

Holmesdale Hibs
23-08-2013, 06:03 AM
I went to Berlin with some mates in 2008 and had a great time. Good pubs, good restaurants and I've always found Germans to be very friendly and hospitable. Not the most beautiful city but some interesting modern architecture and plenty to do if you like your history.

One of the best things I did in Berlin was go to watch a German 2nd division game. Standard was pretty poor but great atmosphere and you could stand and watch the game with a pint. Note sure you'd get away with that for your misses birthday though.

Geo_1875
23-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Nightlife is amazing but can be pricey. Not sure what It's like during daylight.

english_hibee
23-08-2013, 07:29 AM
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187323-d675222-Reviews-City_Hotel_am_Kurfuerstendamm-Berlin.html

This was where we stayed, not flashy by any means but we got it for a steal, staff were great, room was comfortable and its really close to the city etc. I'd also recommend going to the top of the reichstag roof at night, incredible views, just dont forget your passport or have a pair of travel scissors in your bag......the guards will be VERY suspicious of you, as I discovered!

adhibs
23-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Nightlife is amazing but can be pricey. Not sure what It's like during daylight.

I've been a few times and found the nightlife very reasonable. Cheaper than here and far superior, also showed ibiza up for the absolute rip off that it is.

Would definately recomend a trip, my favourite city Anyone that goes has to check out 'The Bird', no had a burger like it anywhere else in the world.

Aldo
23-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice etc.

PeeJay
23-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice etc.

http://www.berlin.de/en/ You've probably looked at this site (I guess) but almost everything you need to know is there ... have a great stay when you are here!:greengrin

adhibs
07-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Just booked up for my fourth vist in two years, cant wait. Might take a day trip to leipzig depending on what else is on.

LancashireHibby
07-09-2013, 05:56 PM
I went over for the Hibs friendly last year. Amazing city and would definitely go again. Was a little embarrassing that UK history seems to end in 1945 and yet the Germans have had so much happen since then.

We stayed in a Holiday Inn in the east of the city, 4 star but we only paid £50 a night in the height of summer and is only about 100 yards from one of the stations on the 24 hour tram line.

Hibrandenburg
07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Just booked up for my fourth vist in two years, cant wait. Might take a day trip to leipzig depending on what else is on.

Dresden is better IMO.

adhibs
10-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Dresden is better IMO.

Will have a look into that