PDA

View Full Version : The new playoffs this season

California-Hibs
22-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Just been reading about how it works, personally can't believe the lack of coverage it's been given, I didn't even know we now had playoffs!

So in the first division (championship) the teams who finish 3rd and 4th will play each other over a 2 legged game. The winner of that will then play the team who finishes 2nd (again over 2 legs). Then the team who wins that will play against the team who finishes 11th in the SPL (Premiership) again over 2 legs. Winner will be promoted/relegated.

Personally I actually think it's brilliant and will add a lot of excitement and freshness to the end of the season. I don't think we'll be involved as I see us just avoiding that, but I'll definitely be taking a keen interest in it. Beats the boring meaningless games that usually happen at the end of the season.

Is this new to anyone else or did you already know about this??

lugz
22-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Never knew that's how it worked, thought it would be 2 semis then a final. Can see the SPL side surviving most of the time in this format.

Time For Heroes
22-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Just been reading about how it works, personally can't believe the lack of coverage it's been given, I didn't even know we now had playoffs!

So in the first division (championship) the teams who finish 3rd and 4th will play each other over a 2 legged game. The winner of that will then play the team who finishes 2nd (again over 2 legs). Then the team who wins that will play against the team who finishes 11th in the SPL (Premiership) again over 2 legs. Winner will be promoted/relegated.

Personally I actually think it's brilliant and will add a lot of excitement and freshness to the end of the season. I don't think we'll be involved as I see us just avoiding that, but I'll definitely be taking a keen interest in it. Beats the boring meaningless games that usually happen at the end of the season.

Is this new to anyone else or did you already know about this??

Great info, cheers for sharing. Never had any idea how it worked. Not enough coverage given about it.:aok:

JimBHibees
22-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Never knew that's how it worked, thought it would be 2 semis then a final. Can see the SPL side surviving most of the time in this format.

Yes I thought it would be 2 semis also. Slightly strange format but i agree a good idea..

rcarter1
22-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Didnt know that. Looks interesting for the Championship sides, with top 4 all in with a chance of promotion. Utterly typical of the shambolic nature of who ever the hell is organising the game that this isnt common knowledge.

The BBC sports site doesnt seem to be aware of this either, as there is no indication from the league table that 11th place in the Scottish Premiership will lead to play off. Strangely there is indication from League 1 table format..

Waxy
22-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I like it.
Along with the highland and lowland league winners getting the chance to be promoted, i think the powers have done well with this reconstruction.

West hamBERNIAN
22-08-2013, 06:43 PM
will be an exciting few games and also put some spotlight on the lower leagues. can only hope we won't be involved.

Eyrie
22-08-2013, 06:57 PM

I think that's the idea behind the new format rather than the sensible 2 semis and a final used for the Divisions 1/2 and 2/3 spots. Make the "championship" teams play extra matches risking injuries and suspensions whilst the SPL team stays fresh so that there is less risk of it being relegated.

frazeHFC
22-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Also just assumed it was 2 semis (4th Ch v 11th P and 2nd Ch v 3rd Ch) and then a final at a neutral ground. This new way does seem more exiting, hope we are not a part of it but should see a few decent crowds at the games. :agree:

California-Hibs
23-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Seems like I wasn't the only one who wasn't in the know then. Also, going by this thread it seems to be a popular idea that's been implicated. I'm sure that we aren't the only fans who think so, but I bet theirs fans of other teams who don't even know this is the case for the league format this season.

Typical, the powers above come up with a good idea and can't even get the publicising of it right! :rolleyes: