PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Year Plan

Chump
22-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Following what can only be described as lame feedback from the Hibs hierarchy I thought I'd prepare the fundamentals of the proposed 5 year plan.

1) Entertain, Entertain, Entertain - this is as basic as water going downhill. Hibs are in the entertainment business and if the paying public don't like what they see a lot of them won't return. Absolute basics I know but somehow I feel it has to be No.1 as it appears to have been lost along the way in the last 6 or so years. We are crying out for an attractive football team. If I'm going along to watch at least try and make it something other than a complete bore (even if we lose 4-5 I'd go home with a feeling of glorious failure as opposed to being numb!!)

2) Bums on seats - this is an absolute must. Hibs fans, for too long, have done their bit and put their hands in their pockets. I think now is the time to cut the price of tickets and show the Hibs fans that they really do mean business and are going to put us first, even if it is a short term gesture. Ticket prices to be limited to an absolute max of £20 until such times that the entertainment value warrants it going back up again. They will have optimum levels of pricing but I feel they will have to rethink given the plummeting attendances at ER.

3) Entertain, Entertain, Entertain - bring back that buzz of walking down ER on match day...my current emotions on match day are summarised as follows - trepidation, unexcited, frustration, annoyance

4) A real vision - to firstly be Edinburgh's No 1 team for a long while to come and Scotland's 2nd top team (until at least Newco come back on scene) - this shouldn't be a pipe dream in the current football climate. It is an absolute realistic target and we need strong characters to install this vision not only with the players but with the club and supporters alike. Recent Hibs teams would have this in their back pocket and we need the instinct among us all to take advantage of these situations and not be scared of them!

5) Entertain, Entertain, Entertain - I want to enjoy my Saturdays again. Watching good football, talking about great passages of play, goals and skill and enjoying reading the sunday papers!!

6) An investor - FFS....we're Hibs. We have the potential to be a very very successful club. There must be someone out there who shares this opinion. There must be someone out there who can realise this opinion. The board need to be offering Hibs to the masses, home and abroad. It would not take a huge investment (as the foundations are already there) to a) get Hibs successful in the short term b) maintain success in Scottish Football thus reaping the long term rewards.

7) lastly.....Entertain, Entertain, Entertain - it's what I pay my money for!!

:flag::flag::flag:

Mark79
23-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Not much chance of us adopting this. Pat cant even think up a 90 minute plan.

Chump
23-08-2013, 08:22 AM
it needs to come from the board IMO - they need to ensure that the manager buys into the 'entertainment' concept and builds his team and training around that.

to me he is too scared to lose which filters to the players hence the style of play, lack of goals and the players lack of actually wanting the ball

Islington Hibs
23-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I think it is a good question. The Board need to set clear objectives publically that are tough but achievable targets. I agree with your 'entertain' but more specifically from now to season 2017/18 (5 years) what about

1. Dominate Edinburgh football. Hearts have dominated us- payback is essential .A minimum of 2 wins a one draw in the SPL each year
2. Average top 4 finish with at least one second place.
3. Win one Cup in five years and preferably the Scottish Cup
4. Qualify for Europe a minimum of 4 times over next 5 seasons
5. Target average attendance of 14000 by 2016
6. Improve over all proposition. Try to entertain but also improve ambiance- better food/ music/ communications/ buzz etc

The Boards targets need to be medium term and public.

In exchange we the supporters promise to help create a better more positive atmosphere and lets bring back that drum and section 43.

hhibs
23-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I may be wrong on this but at this last meeting did RP say there is a 5 year plan?

If so ,lets see it,if not,was it yet another platitude/snowjob ?

Also, begs the question what the flying fig was the last 5/6 years plan? :brickwall

Hibbyradge
23-08-2013, 10:08 AM
A pedant writes:

They're not plans.

They're goals/objectives/ambitions/pipe dreams.

A plan is needed to achieve them.

jacomo
23-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I have never been able to get my head around ticket pricing at Hibs.

Why wouldn't price the tickets in order to fill the stadium? If you're only half full, cut the prices!

Killiehibbie
23-08-2013, 10:10 AM
5 year plans sound like communist failures.

Keith_M
23-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Why wouldn't price the tickets in order to fill the stadium? If you're only half full, cut the prices!

If you mean temporarily, a few games at a time, I think the Season Ticket holders would have the right to object. Currently, if a season Ticket holder misses 2 games in a season, they'd average the same price as they would have with PATG. If it works out cheaper over the season to PATG, there's no incentive to buy a Season Ticket. If that policy was followed, Season Tickets would also have to reduce in price.

My second point as well is that it would be a gamble as to whether their would be enough of an increase in supporters to make up for the shortfall from those that would have PATG anyway but are suddenly paying less. Our club don't gamble.

I'd like to point out, though, that I don't think the fare on offer at Scottish Football is really worth 22-26 quid a game. I just don't know how we could reduce the price and still cover all costs without having additional TV income.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Stalin's five year plans did produce a vast increase in productivity, particularly industrial output. I suppose the use of slave labour and terror in achieving targets was a wee bit harsh :greengrin

Comrade Petrie has the Stalin tache, perhaps he's planning to use Yams as slave labour when they go under. All in a good cause. :devil:

Chump
23-08-2013, 10:19 AM

They probably have a weekly revenue target of say £200k.....if the attendances drop basic maths tells you to up the price to maintain the target but this simply wouldn't work especially just now with the football being so poor.

I think dropping the prices albeit by a couple of pounds to max £20 would be seen as a genuine 'offering' by the Hibs board to the stay away fans....problem being those who lose out due to already buying a season ticket!! It would need to be planned and actioned prior to the first season ticket being sold!!

Killiehibbie
23-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Stalin's five year plans did produce a vast increase in productivity, particularly industrial output. I suppose the use of slave labour and terror in achieving targets was a wee bit harsh :greengrin

Comrade Petrie has the Stalin tache, perhaps he's planning to use Yams as slave labour when they go under. All in a good cause. :devil:Not forgetting the ones in charge making sure they got looked after.

Chump
23-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I think it is a good question. The Board need to set clear objectives publically that are tough but achievable targets. I agree with your 'entertain' but more specifically from now to season 2017/18 (5 years) what about

1. Dominate Edinburgh football. Hearts have dominated us- payback is essential .A minimum of 2 wins a one draw in the SPL each year
2. Average top 4 finish with at least one second place.
3. Win one Cup in five years and preferably the Scottish Cup
4. Qualify for Europe a minimum of 4 times over next 5 seasons
5. Target average attendance of 14000 by 2016
6. Improve over all proposition. Try to entertain but also improve ambiance- better food/ music/ communications/ buzz etc

The Boards targets need to be medium term and public.

In exchange we the supporters promise to help create a better more positive atmosphere and lets bring back that drum and section 43.

The funny thing is none of the above seems to be unrealistic at all but somehow seems a long way off - unfortunately Hibs have only themselves to blame.

Yes we have some of the best facilities in Scottish football but at what cost?

I like your final point on food, comms and buzz.....very basic but something that if done right adds that little bit extra to the whole experience

jacomo
23-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Petrie's missing a trick by not making more of the Hearts situation for propaganda purposes. While there may be one or two small issues at Hibs (we entrust our Dear Leader to fix them all, of course), across the city those maroon capitalist dogs are in deep trouble!!

CropleyisGod
23-08-2013, 01:58 PM
They probably have a weekly revenue target of say £200k.....if the attendances drop basic maths tells you to up the price to maintain the target but this simply wouldn't work especially just now with the football being so poor.

I think dropping the prices albeit by a couple of pounds to max £20 would be seen as a genuine 'offering' by the Hibs board to the stay away fans....problem being those who lose out due to already buying a season ticket!! It would need to be planned and actioned prior to the first season ticket being sold!!

You could offer a free pie to STHs, hand out voucher at the gate. Cost to Hibs would be less that the £2 ticket reduction for walk ups, value to STHs (the pie eating ones!) is greater than £2.

If any kind of scheme is used the secret is advertise it...Radio Froth, Edinburgh Evening FOH News...ah!

monktonharp
23-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Comrade Petrie has the Stalin tache, perhaps he's planning to use Yams as slave labour when they go under. All in a good cause. :devil: comrade Petrie has already brought in a young RB, from the mob over the city. he forgot to mention to him ,or his team manager that it is not correct, to try and maim/kill anyone in full view of thousands.

Sammy7nil
23-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Why don't Hibs price season tickets sales on a sliding scale the more season tickets sold the cheaper they get. That would encourage fans to involve others for the benefit of all. I know this too simplistic but something like start prices at £400 like now and if we sell 10,000 the price would drop to drop to say off the top off my head £360 if we sell 12000 it drops to £320 and so on. This would cover the budget and have the stadium almost full. I know we would have to base this on actual sales i.e. kids and concession prices. Just a thought surely not too difficult to have some imagination on pricing.

Chump
23-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Why don't Hibs price season tickets sales on a sliding scale the more season tickets sold the cheaper they get. That would encourage fans to involve others for the benefit of all. I know this too simplistic but something like start prices at £400 like now and if we sell 10,000 the price would drop to drop to say off the top off my head £360 if we sell 12000 it drops to £320 and so on. This would cover the budget and have the stadium almost full. I know we would have to base this on actual sales i.e. kids and concession prices. Just a thought surely not too difficult to have some imagination on pricing.

why would anyone buy a season ticket at £400 if they thought that they could wait and get one at £320 or am I missing something?

How about a basic season ticket price of the equivalent of £20 per home game (league) with the first two cup home games thrown in. STH's get a pie per game and half time hibby draw for half price??

Those that pay at the gate could start collecting reward stamps for every game they attend....twelfth game is free (only one free game per season).

And for those that continue to buy STH's year on year should be offered a sliding scale reduction......3 years, 5 years, 10 years until they become honorary members after 25 years of purchasing a season ticket??

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2013, 04:46 PM
]why would anyone buy a season ticket at £400 if they thought that they could wait and get one at £320 or am I missing something?[/B]

How about a basic season ticket price of the equivalent of £20 per home game (league) with the first two cup home games thrown in. STH's get a pie per game and half time hibby draw for half price??

Those that pay at the gate could start collecting reward stamps for every game they attend....twelfth game is free (only one free game per season).

And for those that continue to buy STH's year on year should be offered a sliding scale reduction......3 years, 5 years, 10 years until they become honorary members after 25 years of purchasing a season ticket??

They'd get a refund the more we sold, Hartlepool did it and it was a huge success.

Chump
23-08-2013, 05:28 PM
They'd get a refund the more we sold, Hartlepool did it and it was a huge success.

thanks - seems a fair enough incentive to offer the fans

is there an introductory scheme on offer at ER.....bring along a first time season ticket holder and you get rewarded?

seems like reward schemes are the buzz with major retailers etc so no harm in Hibs jumping on the band wagon if it benefits the club