PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Thomson - appeal fails

hibee_girl
17-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Obviously he misses next week's game at Killie but is he likely to miss any more?

Billy Whizz
17-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Obviously he misses next week's game at Killie but is he likely to miss any more?

Should be a one game ban I think

Hibby 2005
17-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I thought the midfield improved after he went off.

West hamBERNIAN
17-08-2013, 07:52 PM

was watching on hibs tv and the coverage is like when channel 5 launched. blurfest. from what i could see it seemed a very angry reaction but i'd be surprised if the referee got something right today. was ridiculous.

CallumLaidlaw
17-08-2013, 08:00 PM
If its violent conduct, will it not be a 2 match ban?

Think Kris Boyd got sent off for the same thing today

Billy Whizz
17-08-2013, 08:02 PM
If its violent conduct, will it not be a 2 match ban?

Think Kris Boyd got sent off for the same thing today

If its a 2 game ban he won't play for Hibs again for a month

erin go bragh
17-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Because Craig then got moved to his natural position in the middle ..
Crowd got right behind the team after the sending off also .
Imho

Ggtth

Weir7
17-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Because Craig then got moved to his natural position in the middle ..
Crowd got right behind the team after the sending off also .
Imho

Ggtth
My boss is St J season tick holder. Craig didn't play centre mid.

Also, fenlon went with a narrow 3 midfielders and once again for most of game Craig was poor.

I'm glad we signed him but its a very slow start to his career at hibs

NorthNorfolkHFC
17-08-2013, 09:26 PM

Spot on. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so, I'll probably get strung up but Craig moved central and the team had more balance, it's not rocket science.

offshorehibby
17-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Spot on. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so, I'll probably get strung up but Craig moved central and the team had more balance, it's not rocket science.

I'm in that camp as well. When Craig went into the center i thought he improved ten fold. I loved Thompson when he was at Hibs years ago but can't see what he does since he came back.

Russ
18-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Told a mate last week he will spend more time off the park through suspensions than on it. If he could channel his ego in a positive way instead of strutting around thinking he is Pele he could have gone a long way in the game

cocopops1875
18-08-2013, 12:46 AM

Or do you think the bit more space suited us and the sending off spurred us on ? Hell let's just use it as a stick to beat a player with and say Katie is gash

ShandonHibee
18-08-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm in that camp as well. When Craig went into the center i though he improved ten fold. I loved Thompson when he was at Hibs years ago but can't see what he does since he came back.

He was the only decent midfielder on the pitch against motherwell (apart from Robertson in patches) so would totally disagree. If fenlon could get the midfield mix and coaching right the we would be a lot better.

Callum_62
18-08-2013, 03:52 AM
Told a mate last week he will spend more time off the park through suspensions than on it. If he could channel his ego in a positive way instead of strutting around thinking he is Pele he could have gone a long way in the game

:rolleyes:

I wish I went as far in the game as KT has.....a career curtailed by bad injuries

GlenrothesHibee
18-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Some people have short memories. KT was an absolute standout against Motherwell.

legends of 73
18-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Can't believe the gash on here regarding Kevin Thomson. Get over what's happened in the past he's a hibs player again and been our best player so far this season. What he did yesterday was stupid he should know not to react the way he did.

The guy played for sod all and has taking a massive pay cut to play for us again so let's cut the guy some slack

Weir7
18-08-2013, 06:41 AM
The boys is our most hard working player. With best touch and passing in team. Take it in tight areas and hold ball and look for a pass, instead of launching it long.

None of current midfielders can do that. Craig and Robbos passing was very poor yesterday.

The notion that people have when we went dowm to 10 men we tured into some well balanced team is interesting. Not what I watched.

Weir7
18-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Hibs played a narrow midfield 3 yesterday. Craig wasn't playig wide until KT went off.

Also KT ran midfield at the PBS when defenders decided to play it into his feet instead of punting it long.

Onion
18-08-2013, 06:48 AM

KT was our best player. It was just that we used the extra space on 10v10 better than DUFC who seemed happy to sit back and try hit us on the break.

Mr White
18-08-2013, 06:54 AM
KT was our best player. It was just that we used the extra space on 10v10 better than DUFC who seemed happy to sit back and try hit us on the break.

:agree: it's easier to cope with losing a centre mid when you've 3 others on the pitch compared to losing one of 2 centre halfs.

down-the-slope
18-08-2013, 08:08 AM
I thought the midfield improved after he went off.I

It did - he was not having a great match and was inclined to slow it down a bit too much. The sense of injustice at refs decision added to getting Craig into the middle created a bit of missing drive for us....sometimes even a bad decision can give you a break...

Fifer
18-08-2013, 08:18 AM
:thumbsup:[

patlowe
18-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Our best player in the first two games but he always looks liable to be sent off IMO. It's not something he's going to change at this stage in his career though so we just have to accept it.

Hainan Hibs
18-08-2013, 08:40 AM
With the number of CM's we have the money spent on Thomshun would've been better spent on a winger/striker.

Gmack7
18-08-2013, 08:45 AM
With the number of CM's we have the money spent on Thomshun would've been better spent on a winger/striker.

get over it

hibs4thecup1988
18-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I honestly cannot believe that some people are getting on at Thomson. He was the best player on the park yesterday in total. No matter with the red card or not. He got stuck in, passed the ball superbly. As I said at the game he should be the captain of that team, and because of a few moaners in the stands he isn't.

Premiership class above all.

keep the faith
18-08-2013, 10:15 AM

Oh dear....

ManBearPig
18-08-2013, 10:25 AM

Oh deary dear. ..

Pray4Marc
18-08-2013, 10:41 AM

My thoughts exactly. Keyboard warriors did not agree after the game tho. "It's clear to see who was at the game and who wasn't" Standard response from a keyboard warrior.

Pray4Marc
18-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I honestly cannot believe that some people are getting on at Thomson. He was the best player on the park yesterday in total. No matter with the red card or not. He got stuck in, passed the ball superbly. As I said at the game he should be the captain of that team, and because of a few moaners in the stands he isn't.

Premiership class above all.

Thomson is one of our best players, he played well yesterday. I was surprised that when he went off we started to pass the ball better with Robertson and Craig in the middle. Also them down to 10 men opened the game up ofcourse. I thought we would fall apart with Thomson sent off but we actually benefitted from it.

Leighonel
18-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I personally liked when he went mental at vine for doing something wrong (bad touch I think). He really cares.

I dont think we got better because thomson wasnt there, it was more that the red card seemed to fire up and unite the fans and players.

I would like to add I think he has been our best player so far this season, he is a class above the rest.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Keyboard warriors :faf:

lucky
18-08-2013, 11:04 AM
KT is a very good midfielder, however the other players seem to be in awe of him and let him dictate the rhythm of our play. Unfortunately KT has played at a higher level where ball retention counts for more. In the cut and thrust of the SPFL he slows the play down to much and other players end up standing still and there original movement has not been found. Yesterday the extra space helped us. But LC is not a winger. He had his best 20 mins in a Hibs shirt after KT went off. If Hibs play a more attacking game the KT is going to hold us back as he sits to deep. He needs to be 20 yards further forward

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Keyboard warriors :faf:

Seems to be the boys stock phrase recently, becoming a tad tedious.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Seems to be the boys stock phrase recently, becoming a tad tedious.

Boy? I had her down as one of the Lizzies. :wink:

brog
18-08-2013, 11:23 AM
It seems to be a new Hibs Net myth that LC was a central midfielder for St J. He wasn't! In common with most left footed players he played left of centre in what aeons back, would have been called the inside left position. He did also have freedom with St J to get up the park & into the box. In the only real good move vs Well he bust a gut to get into box to meet Harris' cross & was a tad unlucky not to make a good connection. With Harris injured he's being played wider than usual & not doing too great but there's no reason to suppose he would do any better in an alien central role.
re KT, on pure footballing ability & brain he's in a different class to anyone else currently at ER. Now he just needs to screw the nut & channel that aggression positively.
PS, by default I think PF is starting to find a system that can work with our current squad, effectively 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1. I just don't trust Pat to put the right players in the right places!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Boy? I had her down as one of the Lizzies. :wink:

Not sure what that means BH!

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Not sure what that means BH!

You never seen the film? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-08-2013, 12:15 PM
You never seen the film? :wink:

Ah, I get you now. The heads still a bit foggy after the last few days adventure down south!

Unseen work
18-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Baffled as to some of the comments am reading. For me Thomson has been out best player this season by far! Always looking to get on the ball and rarely loses it, breaks up alot of play and harries opponents. Craig doing better centrally was more to do with IMO... The fans and players getting a lift on seeing a bit of fight and passion, aswell as us having more time and space when in possession of the ball.

Thomson should be a starter every week, I'm sure their was a similar argument last season about Claros slowing the game down and doesn't get foward enough, that's not there game. There game is to break up play and create space and little holes to get the ball and distribute it well, both do a excellent job IMO

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Hibs played a narrow midfield 3 yesterday. Craig wasn't playig wide until KT went off.

Also KT ran midfield at the PBS when defenders decided to play it into his feet instead of punting it long.

And look what happened there. They best us!

The_Horde
18-08-2013, 01:08 PM
KT is not the problem. He's trying to play football. Him and Robertson have been class in there for us. The problem is the creative link between KT/Robertson and the front line.

Borderhibbie76
18-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Get a grip ffs!! Things are bad enough at present without comments like this...

Unseen work
18-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Get a grip ffs!! Things are bad enough at present without comments like this...

Don't understand comments like that aswell, people saying Thomsons wage would be better spent elsewhere when he's the best midfielder we have? Would understand more if it was another name but not out best player! People still just won't move on from how he left it appears

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-08-2013, 04:33 PM

Aw naw...

essexhibee
18-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Really need to get over this whole thoms'hun' it's gettin tedious now.

Jones28
18-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Thomshun...deary me

lugz
19-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Club have appealed the red card for "wrongful dismissal"

Diclonius
19-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Lol what?

lugz
19-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Lol what?

Think it means mistaken identity, only quoting what the clubs twitter says.

lugz
19-08-2013, 04:11 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130819/kevin-thomson-red-card-referral_2262950_3394744

merritthibees
19-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Well done hibs... Let's hope it's overturned!

hfc rd
19-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Dundee United have done the same.

Heisenberg
19-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Dundee United FC‏@dundeeunitedfc51m (http://www.hibs.net/dundeeunitedfc/status/369486441266425856)No Gavin Gunning appeal to be made. Club feel that whilst the red card appeared harsh, the chance of it being overturned is low.

Saorsa
19-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Dundee United FC‏@dundeeunitedfc51m (http://www.hibs.net/dundeeunitedfc/status/369486441266425856)No Gavin Gunning appeal to be made. Club feel that whilst the red card appeared harsh, the chance of it being overturned is low.Hopefully the disgraceful act that the lousy officials missed that caused the incident in the 1st place will be brought tae the attention of who ever it may concern.

500miles
19-08-2013, 04:53 PM
He'll be lucky to get it over turned. I saw it at the time from the North (directly behind KT), and although the camera angle on the highlights doesn't show it, Thomson clearly went for Gunning's face/ neck with his right hand - either a punch or to grab him by the throat.

He was so keen to go fighting, he chased Gunning towards the tunnel and got held back by the 7st Danny Handling. Idiot. Captain material? My hairy sack.

Boyle89
19-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Can't it get extended for a failed appeal?

B.H.F.C
19-08-2013, 04:57 PM
He'll be lucky to get it over turned. I saw it at the time from the North (directly behind KT), and although the camera angle on the highlights doesn't show it, Thomson clearly went for Gunning's face/ neck with his right hand - either a punch or to grab him by the throat.

He was so keen to go fighting, he chased Gunning towards the tunnel and got held back by the 7st Danny Handling. Idiot. Captain material? My hairy sack.

The boy about cut him in half so I don't particularly blame him on this occasion

Ryan69

Id rather have 11 KTs.than what we currently have. at least he gives a **** unlike most of the clowns we currently have.
Frustration at everybody elses attitute probably got the better of him.

Just_Jimmy
Thommo was rightly sent off. He reacted to the kick from gunning and threw an arm/punch. No complaints at the time or now. I only feel if the ref had acted correctly it wouldnt have happened.

hibee_girl
19-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Said on STV news he'll miss 3 games if the appeal fails

Carheenlea
19-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm really surprised that we are appealing this. From my view in the East you could see Thomson's reaction clearly and his actions were worthy of a red in my opinion. Kvein Thomson can count himself very fortunate that the TV pictures angle make it difficult to really see what he did. Will still be surprised if this is overturned.

3pm
19-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Nae chance.

silverhibee
19-08-2013, 06:02 PM
What this tells me is that Petrie is still backing Fenlon.

The heads coming together are red card offences, will only lose this appeal.

hibs4thecup1988
19-08-2013, 06:07 PM

P1sh. FACT

Baldy Foghorn
19-08-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm really surprised that we are appealing this. From my view in the East you could see Thomson's reaction clearly and his actions were worthy of a red in my opinion. Kvein Thomson can count himself very fortunate that the TV pictures angle make it difficult to really see what he did. Will still be surprised if this is overturned.

:agree::agree:

Can't understand the logic in appealing, KT clearly raised his hands, which is a sending off offence.....:confused:

Hibby70
19-08-2013, 06:19 PM
The tv pictures show a yellow at most. At the game it looked like a straight red not helped by the melee. This could go either way I reckon and worth appealing.

lapsedhibee
19-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Can't understand the logic in appealing, KT clearly raised his hands, which is a sending off offence.....:confused:

Possibly absent-mindedly recalling his time with another club, where once upon a time Weir, Ferguson etc got to grab people by the throat without even getting a yellow.

Westie1875
19-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I can kind of see why the club are appealing this. Although at the time it looked like a sending off the tv footage doesn't really support this too strongly IMO.

Dundee Utd probably feel there is no point in them appealing as even if the red for Gunning's reaction was overturned he'd likely be given a retrospective red for the tackle that started it all off.

Alan62
19-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Having looked at the BBC footage, I think Hibs have a case. Gunning's challenge is ridiculous and a straight red on its own. He is studs up, straight leg right into Thomson. Kevin reacts by giving Gunning's shirt a little tug and obviously shouts at the player as if to say "What the ***** was that all about?" and Gunning's arms go up around Thomson immediately. If there's a 'coming together' it's nothing that Thomson could have done anything about.

For me, the correct decision was straight red for Gunning for the challenge. At worst for Thomson, it's a yellow for the reaction although, I'm not sure that his reaction is in any way unmerited or over the top.

As for the aftermath, quite frankly, Gunning was raging and he was the guy who was continuing the fighting. Thomson didn't chase him off the park. Nothing like that at all. John Rankine sensibly stopped Thomson from entering the tunnel when Gunning was still in it. Thomson agreed with Rankine and slowed waited for a few seconds until it was clear there wouldn't be any further nonsense.

I think Hibs have a chance here.

As for all this Thomshun crap. Really, lads? Give it a rest, eh?

Argylehibby
19-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Hibs will have their own footage which may show more than the TV highlights and give the club cause for optimism that it will be overturned. Remember Garry O's "dive" v St Johnstone that he was cited for and we won the appeal based on the clubs footage.

Carheenlea
19-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Hibs will have their own footage which may show more than the TV highlights and give the club cause for optimism that it will be overturned. Remember Garry O's "dive" v St Johnstone that he was cited for and we won the appeal based on the clubs footage.

It's no coincidence that those who saw the incident in the stadium seem to be in agreement that the referee was left with little choice, while those using TV footage to make their judgement feel that Kevin Thomson was hard done by. Of course, it goes without saying I hope the appeal is successful, but I have my doubts.( Still, if not, it will be interesting to see if Liam Craig will be more influential being played in that central midfield berth)

malcolm
19-08-2013, 07:22 PM

judging by the Hibs TV pictures this week, the footage will be just about good enough to show that a game was played! :wink:

the appeal should be judged by what happened and not what it looked like happened to those in the ground

brog
19-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Well one thing is obvious & that is that the ref never saw the incident. Personally I thought it was absolutely nothing & if it had happened in England would have been yellows at worst. Separately I wish people would stop repeating the guff, beloved of Scottish football commentators, that " he raised his hands so has to go ". Absolute tripe, there's no mention anywhere in the Laws of this & as a qualified ref in England I've never once been instructed in this manner. As another poster said Davie Weir would hardly have finished a game if that was the case.

GreenOnions
19-08-2013, 10:11 PM
It's no coincidence that those who saw the incident in the stadium seem to be in agreement that the referee was left with little choice, while those using TV footage to make their judgement feel that Kevin Thomson was hard done by. Of course, it goes without saying I hope the appeal is successful, but I have my doubts.( Still, if not, it will be interesting to see if Liam Craig will be more influential being played in that central midfield berth)

Liam Craig played on the left of a central three in the first half on Saturday. I don't know where all this is coming from that he played wide. He did move inside a little once KT went off but neither his position nor his performance changed much IMHO. There is definitely a player there but we still haven't seen even a glimpse of it yet.

Of course I agree that Hibs were better after the sending off but I think DUFC had been sitting deeper and deeper and we had been becoming (very) gradually more effective for a period before it. IMHO this was mainly due to McGivern's growing influence on our attacking play and our main "link" player - Handling - starting to play in the second half.

KT is easily our most accomplished player. He looked exactly that on Saturday and was the only Hibs player who appeared able to pass a football during the first half. The implication that we can be improved without him is simply ridiculous.

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Can't see us getting it overturned tbh. Looked a clear red from my seat in the East but must admit, hard to see what happened from the TV footage. Just can't see them budging on this one, hopefully wrong however. 3 games seems harsh, no???

Sir David Gray
19-08-2013, 11:37 PM
I wasn't at the game but going on what I saw on Sportscene on Sunday night, there is no chance that Thomson (or Gunning for that matter) should have been sent off.

Both red cards should be reduced to bookings.

Twa Cairpets
20-08-2013, 07:14 AM

Actually, it's not. You get pundits saying this all the time "he's raised his hands so he's got to go". Simply not true.

The offence he was sent off for was presumably violent conduct. I think there are grounds to suggest it wasn't violent - he'll probably lose the appeal, but if he does it's not because "he raised his hands".

Hibs90
20-08-2013, 07:19 AM
I wasn't at the game but going on what I saw on Sportscene on Sunday night, there is no chance that Thomson (or Gunning for that matter) should have been sent off.

Both red cards should be reduced to bookings.

Treadstone
20-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Wouldn't like to predict the outcome of this. The tattooed lady got a red card at Tannadice last season that should have been rescinded and wasn't.
If it was for being a dick then the referee was spot on.

Posh Swanny
20-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Looks pretty nasty on its own, but if you watch the TV footage carefully, he clearly makes a secondary little jab after the initial accidental contact is made - that's what got Thomson riled and that's why Dundee Utd won't appeal the decision.

keep the faith
20-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Having looked at the BBC footage, I think Hibs have a case. Gunning's challenge is ridiculous and a straight red on its own. He is studs up, straight leg right into Thomson. Kevin reacts by giving Gunning's shirt a little tug and obviously shouts at the player as if to say "What the ***** was that all about?" and Gunning's arms go up around Thomson immediately. If there's a 'coming together' it's nothing that Thomson could have done anything about.

For me, the correct decision was straight red for Gunning for the challenge. At worst for Thomson, it's a yellow for the reaction although, I'm not sure that his reaction is in any way unmerited or over the top.

As for the aftermath, quite frankly, Gunning was raging and he was the guy who was continuing the fighting. Thomson didn't chase him off the park. Nothing like that at all. John Rankine sensibly stopped Thomson from entering the tunnel when Gunning was still in it. Thomson agreed with Rankine and slowed waited for a few seconds until it was clear there wouldn't be any further nonsense.

I think Hibs have a chance here.

As for all this Thomshun crap. Really, lads? Give it a rest, eh?

spot on. I agree with everything said here.

Sir David Gray
20-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Doesn't look great from that picture but pictures can sometimes be deceiving.

Perhaps if I saw the video footage from a different angle, I might have a different view of the incident but from what Sportscene showed, I thought the red cards were harsh.

davieh
20-08-2013, 09:29 AM
I'll be amazed if his red is rescinded. Don't think it will be his last this season either...

RoxburghHibs
20-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Doesn't look great from that picture but pictures can sometimes be deceiving.

Perhaps if I saw the video footage from a different angle, I might have a different view of the incident but from what Sportscene showed, I thought the red cards were harsh.

It doesn't look great for the Dundee Utd player! How come this wasn't a penalty - assuming it was in the box?

greenlex
20-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Ive read some pish on here over the years and quite frequently too but I think this is possibly the most pish in one post. IMO

Treadstone
20-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Ive read some pish on here over the years and quite frequently too but I think this is possibly the most pish in one post. IMO

You obviously never seen the poster that said he was glad we got pumped in the Scottish cup final so Thomson couldn't pick up a winners medal.

pacorosssco
20-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Changed my mind too on challenge but wasted appeal . Sfa not big fans of ours and kt reaction after wont have helped.

clerriehibs
20-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Looks pretty nasty on its own, but if you watch the TV footage carefully, he clearly makes a secondary little jab after the initial accidental contact is made - that's what got Thomson riled and that's why Dundee Utd won't appeal the decision.

gunning did NOT get penalised for the initial tackle, otherwise we'd have got the ftee kick, not them, so no point speculating based on that photie on the merit of gunning's card.

Future17
20-08-2013, 12:52 PM
gunning did NOT get penalised for the initial tackle, otherwise we'd have got the ftee kick, not them, so no point speculating based on that photie on the merit of gunning's card.

But if United had appealed, the SFA may have cited Gunning for the studs-up, nipple-high stamp and he may have picked up an additional suspension.

erin go bragh
20-08-2013, 01:21 PM
From my view in the ff i looked harsh on Thomson as Gunning done him with the tackle , then when Thomson reacted , Gunning grabbed him by the throat !

When will we find out the result ?

Ggtth

GreenOnions
20-08-2013, 01:39 PM

That's right! I'd forgotten about that - the ref gave a free kick to them after it had all died down! Incredible! No matter what your view of the sendings off it was clear that a free kick should be awarded to Hibs on the edge of the box.

There were actually two other "high boot" issues during the game: One where Vine was booked for a waist high boot that actually won the ball and another in the first half also on the edge of the DUFC box where one of their defenders almost took a Hibs player's head off with his boot and no free kick was given.

Having said that - although the ref was extremely poor I don't think his general incompetence favoured either side over the piece.

NGH
20-08-2013, 06:20 PM
From my seat in the main stand it looked like two yellows right up to the moment that the melee started. When that settled down the ref was almost certain to bring out the red card if only to assert his own authority over the other players. I suspect the the chances of success in any appeal are about 50-50 and that's better odds than Hibs have had in most things recently.

ekhibee
20-08-2013, 08:37 PM
I do think Hibs have a case here, although I didn't think so originally, but having seen the footage Thomson was hard done by. There seem to be more people on here saying what a good player Thomson is than those who aren't, so I don't know what all that's about. Now I can remember him in his first full season for Hibs, before he got a bad injury that kept him out for a long time.I thought he was an excellent player, a great passer of the ball and chipped in with a few goals as well. And the fact that he's probably getting considerably less wage wise than he ever was before, you've got to give him a lot of credit. But while I agree he has probably been our most consistent player after the first 3 games of the season, it's a very sad reflection on how poor the team is, that we have somebody who is, like it or not, past his sell by date in terms of the ability he once had, as our best and most consistent player. That's not a criticism of him in any way, it's a criticism of the rest of them, or maybe the way the manager likes to play his football.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I do think Hibs have a case here, although I didn't think so originally, but having seen the footage Thomson was hard done by. There seem to be more people on here saying what a good player Thomson is than those who aren't, so I don't know what all that's about. Now I can remember him in his first full season for Hibs, before he got a bad injury that kept him out for a long time.I thought he was an excellent player, a great passer of the ball and chipped in with a few goals as well. And the fact that he's probably getting considerably less wage wise than he ever was before, you've got to give him a lot of credit. But while I agree he has probably been our most consistent player after the first 3 games of the season, it's a very sad reflection on how poor the team is, that we have somebody who is, like it or not, past his sell by date in terms of the ability he once had, as our best and most consistent player. That's not a criticism of him in any way, it's a criticism of the rest of them, or maybe the way the manager likes to play his football.

How did you manage to turn a replay of a controversial moment on to a criticism of the team?
Thats not a criticism of you by the way, just an observation on the oddities of this forum at times...

tanfield
20-08-2013, 09:32 PM
as soon as I saw Thomson's reaction I knew he would be sent off. can't react like that and expect to stay on the park! he should know better.

would be very surprised if the appeal was successful

ekhibee
21-08-2013, 03:05 PM
How did you manage to turn a replay of a controversial moment on to a criticism of the team?
Thats not a criticism of you by the way, just an observation on the oddities of this forum at times...

Good point, I should have realized I have to choose my words carefully on this forum!

dangermouse
22-08-2013, 09:12 AM
When does this take place?

Viva_Palmeiras
22-08-2013, 09:18 AM
During the daytime ;)

dangermouse
22-08-2013, 12:43 PM
During the daytime ;)

:faf: You know that's not what I meant.

As the fishy site has no details I'm assuming it wasn't today. Leaving it a bit late if the appeal is to be successful to allow KT to play on Saturday.

Anyone think PF will have two game plans one with KT and one without? Thought not.

c31
22-08-2013, 01:02 PM

As the fishy site has no details I'm assuming it wasn't today. Leaving it a bit late if the appeal is to be successful to allow KT to play on Saturday.

Anyone think PF will have two game plans one with KT and one without? Thought not.

Game plan - don't think our manager has heard that term before

Moulin Yarns
22-08-2013, 01:03 PM

I'll say it before anybody else gets a chance.

PF has a game plan???? :dunno:

Edit: dagnabit. beaten to it

hibee_girl
22-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Should find out sometime today, STV website says hearing at Hampden this afternoon

Bayern Bru
22-08-2013, 02:41 PM
As the title says.

Appeal rejected, two match ban applied immediately. Won't play for us until September 14th.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2565&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=12384

DaveF
22-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Nothing on Gunning? I thought Dundee United appealed as well?

Spike Mandela
22-08-2013, 02:45 PM
As the title says.

Appeal rejected, two match ban applied immediately. Won't play for us until September 14th.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2565&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=12384

Why a two match ban? Is he over a points threshold already?

JimBHibees
22-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Why a two match ban? Is he over a points threshold already?

I think violent conduct is a 2 game ban.

The explanation is a crock though "The Judicial Panel have rejected the appeal and upheld the Referee's original decision that Thomson was judged to have pulled his opponent's shirt, in a very aggressive manner using excessive force to pull him back, forcibly spinning him round and pulling him towards him".

So pulling a shirt is violent conduct now. Dear oh dear. Completely trumped up IMO.

I would put money on that the ref thought he had actually committed violent conduct but saw nothing on the replays so came up with this aggressive shirt pulling joke.

Bayern Bru
22-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Nothing on Gunning? I thought Dundee United appealed as well?

They decided not to. 'Too expensive' according to Jackie Mac (£1000 a time) and he mentioned appealing a decision he thought they had a good chance of winning last season and failing, so opted not to.

Bleeds green
22-08-2013, 02:58 PM
A two match ban for 'aggressively pulling a shirt' unbelievable absolutely shocking decision!! Just watch what goes unpunished throughout this season

****in joke

B.H.F.C
22-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Fitbaw is goosed if they want to hand out two game bans for pulling someone's shirt.

As posted above they've just made that up. Jackie Mac said after the game that the ref told him they were fighting. He's obviously not wanted to be more specific because he didn't actually know what had happened. If he'd said a punch was thrown the video would have showed it hadn't been. By keeping it general it's allowed the SFA to come up with this garbage.

Brightside
22-08-2013, 03:17 PM
They both raised hands to face. Stupid to appeal.

Bayern Bru
22-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I'd still like to know how Gunning wasn't initially penalised for the high boot on Thomson, and also why the referee awarded United a free kick after the handbags.

It's been nearly a week now and I'm no further forward.

JimBHibees
22-08-2013, 03:36 PM
They both raised hands to face. Stupid to appeal.

If you read the report though it has nothing in it about raising hands to the face. It is to do with somewhat bizarrely aggressively pulling a shirt. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
22-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Fitbaw is goosed if they want to hand out two game bans for pulling someone's shirt.

As posted above they've just made that up. Jackie Mac said after the game that the ref told him they were fighting. He's obviously not wanted to be more specific because he didn't actually know what had happened. If he'd said a punch was thrown the video would have showed it hadn't been. By keeping it general it's allowed the SFA to come up with this garbage.

Nail on head. Completely trumped up when there was no evidence of any fighting.

big-mo
22-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Not too bothered that KT will be missing for the next two games, we should now see if it is him that is slowing the rest of the Hibs team, down to his pace.
I would almost bet that Hibs will be more direct and move the ball faster against Killie than in previous games so far.

Baldy Foghorn
22-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Not too bothered that KT will be missing for the next two games, we should now see if it is him that is slowing the rest of the Hibs team, down to his pace.
I would almost bet that Hibs will be more direct and move the ball faster against Killie than in previous games so far.

Hopefully we will see other player's flourish......Wonder if PF will play Craig through the middle, or just bring Taiwo in to replace KT?

3pm
22-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Hopefully we will see other player's flourish......Wonder if PF will play Craig through the middle, or just bring Taiwo in to replace KT?

Has to be Craig, Taiwo and Robertson for me in a middle 3.

B.H.F.C
22-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Taiwo in as a straight swap I'd imagine. Not what I'd do but I think it's what he will do

hibee62
22-08-2013, 05:13 PM

The explanation is a crock though "The Judicial Panel have rejected the appeal and upheld the Referee's original decision that Thomson was judged to have pulled his opponent's shirt, in a very aggressive manner using excessive force to pull him back, forcibly spinning him round and pulling him towards him".

So pulling a shirt is violent conduct now. Dear oh dear. Completely trumped up IMO.

I would put money on that the ref thought he had actually committed violent conduct but saw nothing on the replays so came up with this aggressive shirt pulling joke.

I haven't got a link but I'm sure I've heard in the past that "aggressive" conduct is a yellow card while "violent" conduct is a red card. If this is true then the SFA have surely dropped themselves in it here. Not that I expect anything to come of it, all officials in this country are totally infallible!

lapsedhibee
22-08-2013, 05:47 PM
A two match ban for 'aggressively pulling a shirt' unbelievable absolutely shocking decision!! Just watch what goes unpunished throughout this season

****in joke

I forget now - was Zaliuakas regularly banned for two matches for aggressively pulling Rob Jones' shirt off his back? You know, I'm not at all sure that he was!

Billy
22-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Footage of the incident is on the freeview player on the front page of the official site for those who want to see it again.

NorthNorfolkHFC
22-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Taiwo in as a straight swap I'd imagine. Not what I'd do but I think it's what he will do

Fenlon is too daft to realise that at the end of the United game it worked when Craig was in the middle.

It will be funny when he fails to act on this success and bring in Taiwo, another nail in the coffin for me anyway.

brog
22-08-2013, 09:38 PM
As the title says.

Fenlon is too daft to realise that at the end of the United game it worked when Craig was in the middle.

It will be funny when he fails to act on this success and bring in Taiwo, another nail in the coffin for me anyway.

It had nothing to do with where our players were positioned, it was all down to them being annoyed & energised by KT being sent off. And to repeat yet again, Liam did not play centre midfield for Saints. I am no PF fan but we really cannot blame him for every little thing that goes wrong!

brog
22-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Agree 100%. They know its a crock but have to defend the indefensible.

Biggie
22-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Have we ever won an appeal...in fact has any **** ?......it seems the sfa appeals panel will never go against the refs decision.....what a joke

Tyler Durden
22-08-2013, 09:51 PM
It had nothing to do with where our players were positioned, it was all down to them being annoyed & energised by KT being sent off. And to repeat yet again, Liam did not play centre midfield for Saints. I am no PF fan but we really cannot blame him for every little thing that goes wrong!

Craig did play in the centre quite regularly last season - played wide just as much of course.

Anyway back OT, if shirt grabbing is a red card, then the recent derby would have ended about 8 a side. Paterson, Vine, Hammill all got involved in similar handbags incidents.

It's become a farcical situation. Clubs accept punishment 9 times out of 10 because they know these things won't be over turned. Managers are forced to keep their mouths shut or they'll be banned too. Madness.

Iggy Pope
22-08-2013, 10:11 PM

Dear
****ing
Christ

Saorsa
22-08-2013, 10:18 PM

It will be funny when he fails to act on this success and bring in Taiwo, another nail in the coffin for me anyway.I'm no sure there's anything funny about what happening at ER at the moment, in fact it's anything but. I have my doubts whether he will get things right but hope he does, if he disnae there'll be nothing funny about it.

B.H.F.C
22-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Dont know if I'd find it funny. I'm going to be there and paying my £20 (or whatever ridiculous price they are charging) so despite my dislike for Fenlon I won't be seeing the funny side of things if we see another eye bleeding, negative performance.

I don't mind if Taiwo comes in if he plays a 3 in there with him sitting and Craig and Robertson being given the freedom to push on and get involved. Pat giving players the freedom to play seems a bit unlikely though!

Andy74
22-08-2013, 10:36 PM

Craig started in the middle.

SaulGoodman
22-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Think people should lay of Magnum Hibee.

'It will be funny' is a commonly used phrased isnt it? Usually used ironically,

Russ
22-08-2013, 11:25 PM

As stated before, he will spend more time on his erchie than he will on the park. WATCH THIS SPACE

Sir David Gray
22-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Think it was a very harsh sending off but I'm not surprised that the appeal was unsuccessful.

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Dont know if I'd find it funny. I'm going to be there and paying my £20 (or whatever ridiculous price they are charging) so despite my dislike for Fenlon I won't be seeing the funny side of things if we see another eye bleeding, negative performance.

I don't mind if Taiwo comes in if he plays a 3 in there with him sitting and Craig and Robertson being given the freedom to push on and get involved. Pat giving players the freedom to play seems a bit unlikely though!

My laughter was ironic, thanks for noticing. Funny or not, I'll probably go but as I have a season and the club already have my hard earned.
Like I initially said, if its a straight swap for Taiwo it will only highlight how little tactical knowledge Pat has. This front three with Collins on its own isn't working, it's making Collins look gash, we need goals and he needs support. We ended the united game with a pretty balanced 4.4.2 with Craig and Robertson in the middle, Stanton on one wing and handling on the other, chuck Caldwell or Vine up top and we may have a chance.

Craig started in the middle.

No he didn't, he played as a left sided player. Handling on the right. Thomson and Robertson were central.

Weir7
23-08-2013, 06:24 AM
My laughter was ironic, thanks for noticing. Funny or not, I'll probably go but as I have a season and the club already have my hard earned.
Like I initially said, if its a straight swap for Taiwo it will only highlight how little tactical knowledge Pat has. This front three with Collins on its own isn't working, it's making Collins look gash, we need goals and he needs support. We ended the united game with a pretty balanced 4.4.2 with Craig and Robertson in the middle, Stanton on one wing and handling on the other, chuck Caldwell or Vine up top and we may have a chance.

No he didn't, he played as a left sided player. Handling on the right. Thomson and Robertson were central.

We played 4-3-3. Thomson flanked by craig and robo. Players and a member of backroom staff.

Not sure how we finished with a balanced 4-4-2 when we had 10 men.