PDA

View Full Version : Right back

totalfootball
21-08-2013, 08:38 AM
In my opinion we haven't had a decent one since Whittaker left! Last season when we had problems there I thought why no play taiwo there. He's strong good in the tackle and relatively quick! Seriously it's not rocket science why doesn't Fenlon move him to right back get a bit more energy in the team and more balance. Team for Saturday
Williams
tom Nielsen Hanson mcgivern

Handling Robbo jones craig

Collins Caldwell

Andy74
21-08-2013, 08:39 AM
In my opinion we haven't had a decent one since Whittaker left! Last season when we had problems there I thought why no play taiwo there. He's strong good in the tackle and relatively quick! Seriously it's not rocket science why doesn't Fenlon move him to right back get a bit more energy in the team and more balance. Team for Saturday
Williams

Collins Caldwell

So why not just stick with Stevenson short term if you want to convert another midfielder to that position?

Fenlon would get dogs abuse if he tried that one!!

HH81
21-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Vine for right back :greengrin

Golden Bear
21-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Williams

Collins Caldwell

He's far too wee.

Defenders should be big guys ------------ :rolleyes:

Bayern Bru
21-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Tom Taiwo at right back?

Are you high?

HH81
21-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Are you high?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

J-C
21-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Ah! in the same way we tried to make Thicot a relatively good holding midfielder into a RB, that worked out a treat for us eh!

Mango Man
21-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I read this yesterday, and the more I think about it the more I think Tom would probably be really good at right back, he doesn't seem to be first pick in the midfield anymore, tough tackler, right footed, defensive minded(from what I've seen anyway), I think that would be worth a try.

Jones28
21-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Why not just do what most teams do and buy a ****ing right back?

J-C
21-08-2013, 08:58 AM
I read this yesterday, and the more I think about it the more I think Tom would probably be really good at right back, he doesn't seem to be first pick in the midfield anymore, tough tackler, right footed, defensive minded(from what I've seen anyway), I think that would be worth a try.

Apart from from 2 glaring errors, he's tiny, far too wee for a RB and has zero pace also, he'd get toasted almost every game with these deficits in his game.

YehButNoBut
21-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Just make Tom Hately a decent offer & get him signed, decent player who is available for nowt, problem solved. :thumbsup:

ColintonHibs
21-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Why not just do what most teams do and buy a ****ing right back?

:agree: :confused:

Golden Bear
21-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Just make Tom Hately a decent offer & get him signed, decent player who is available for nowt, problem solved. :thumbsup:

Right now the status of the Club is so low that I really doubt if Hateley would see a move to Hibs as being a career enhancing opportunity.

Scottie
21-08-2013, 09:42 AM
What was so WRONG with Pa-Kujabi :cb

lord bunberry
21-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Williams

Collins Caldwell

That would leave us short of defensive midfielders

DanHFC1875
21-08-2013, 12:22 PM

I agree, he is a free agent, he is a right back and we could do a lot worse...... Like we are doing just now for example.

I'd welcome this signing. ;)

Andy74
21-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I agree, he is a free agent, he is a right back and we could do a lot worse...... Like we are doing just now for example.

I'd welcome this signing. ;)

The problem with this is when Clancy is fit, it is expensive cover, or one of them is.

DanHFC1875
21-08-2013, 12:26 PM
The problem with this is when Clancy is fit, it is expensive cover, or one of them is.

This may be so, but having one right back, that is injured, isn't working.

HFC 0-7
21-08-2013, 12:28 PM

So our cover should be cheap and crap? If we signed Hately I think he would be first pick. Clancy isn't that great IMO.

Franck Stanton
21-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Williams

Collins Caldwell Christ, we have posters on .Net going radge about not playing players in their natural positions and here we are suggesting yet another player be played out of position. Just do the simple thing, as every other team does, we need a r/back [amongst others], so go out and sign one - Hateley for example. It isn't rocket science. Play everyone in their favoured natural position ffs.

Golden Bear
21-08-2013, 12:34 PM
That would leave us short of defensive midfielders

Correct. We'd be down to our last dozen. Crisis point has been reached.

:wink:

Mark79
21-08-2013, 12:34 PM
What was so WRONG with Pa-Kujabi :cb

Apart from being Tom kite not much.

Andy74
21-08-2013, 12:35 PM
So our cover should be cheap and crap? If we signed Hately I think he would be first pick. Clancy isn't that great IMO.

No but you have to balance the budget over the squad and I'm not sure we can afford two almost first pick choices in each position. It would be great if we could afford to but at times we have to allow young players to be the cover when required and develop. The Mullen thing has been a bit of an over reaction I think but if he needs to be taken out of it for a bit then signing a new right back who would be looking for a very good wage when Clancy seems to be a couple of weeks away from playing seems an expensive way to go about it.

I'd obviously be happy of we could, the more the merrier in terms in good players.

YehButNoBut
21-08-2013, 12:43 PM
No but you have to balance the budget over the squad and I'm not sure we can afford two almost first pick choices in each position. It would be great if we could afford to but at times we have to allow young players to be the cover when required and develop. The Mullen thing has been a bit of an over reaction I think but if he needs to be taken out of it for a bit then signing a new right back who would be looking for a very good wage when Clancy seems to be a couple of weeks away from playing seems an expensive way to go about it.

I'd obviously be happy of we could, the more the merrier in terms in good players.

I would agree with that if we knew Clancy was going to be back in the first team soon and be able to play for a run of games without injury (no guarantee I know) but in the past he comes back for a few games then is out for a lengthy period.

We need someone more reliable than Clancy, who should be punted at the end of the season anyway.

Mango Man
21-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Apart from from 2 glaring errors, he's tiny, far too wee for a RB and has zero pace also, he'd get toasted almost every game with these deficits in his game.

Is he really small? He looks about average height to me, plus you don't need to be tall to be a defender, wouldn't have said he was slow either actually.

Sweet Left Peg
21-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Vine for right back :greengrin

Right back in the changing room!

PatHead
21-08-2013, 01:05 PM
According to reports Hately asked Motherwell if they were still interested and they declined. Means he shouldn't cost too much and would add experience to the squad. I think he also takes a decent free kick and corner and would add to the team. Would be disappointed if he wasn't at least enquired about as first pick full back. Sure he could move to other positions during the game if a re-shuffle was required.

TheFamous1875
21-08-2013, 01:09 PM
According to reports Hately asked Motherwell if they were still interested and they declined. Means he shouldn't cost too much and would add experience to the squad. I think he also takes a decent free kick and corner and would add to the team. Would be disappointed if he wasn't at least enquired about as first pick full back. Sure he could move to other positions during the game if a re-shuffle was required.

He's be a great signing. Also, it should be notes that his preferred position is CM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fergus52
21-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Tom Taiwo at right back?

Are you high?

Defensive, energetic centre mids often makes pretty decent fullbacks if they have to play there.

The defence with the most consecutive clean sheets in the champions league had flamini as its left back; a a right footed midfielder with not that much pace.

HFC 0-7
21-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Agreed, on the Mullen thing, I think he has been trying to hard. He crunched that boy early doors at the weekend and was scared to put a boot in after that.

PatHead
21-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Agreed, on the Mullen thing, I think he has been trying to hard. He crunched that boy early doors at the weekend and was scared to put a boot in after that.

Unfortunately that is 2 games in a row where he has had to be subbed to avoid being sent off and leaving us a man down.

sesoim
21-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I just tweeted Mark Wilson on Radio Scotland to ask if Hibs contacted him at all. He says no, Dundee Utd were the only team that showed any interest. I find it bizarre that we would sign a Hearts youngster who clearly isn't ready and ignore Wilson and Hately. And although I understand Andy74's point about our budget and having two first team players in the same position, my answer to that would be that Clancy can play CB, so why not play him there if he can't get a game at RB? And if our budget is that tight, why would we spend £200k on a young striker who isn't really proven when other more proven strikers have joined clubs for free recently?

scoopyboy
21-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I just tweeted Mark Wilson on Radio Scotland to ask if Hibs contacted him at all. He says no, Dundee Utd were the only team that showed any interest. I find it bizarre that we would sign a Hearts youngster who clearly isn't ready and ignore Wilson and Hately. And although I understand Andy74's point about our budget and having two first team players in the same position, my answer to that would be that Clancy can play CB, so why not play him there if he can't get a game at RB? And if our budget is that tight, why would we spend £200k on a young striker who isn't really proven when other more proven strikers have joined clubs for free recently?

He would be playing right back if he was fit.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Oh dear. Remember Chris Hogg at right back against St Mirren away? Only topped in the stupidity stakes by Fletcher in midfield. Why not try a youngster who plays there as a natural position? Only ask him to do the basics and maybe play a sweeper to help out.

lumbo_hfc
21-08-2013, 07:35 PM

We should definitly sign Hatley, Clancy could play Centre half when he is fit, problem solved

He would be playing right back if he was fit.

Not if we signed Hatley he wouldn't, unless Pat stuck to not playing his best players (like McGivern on saturday)

totalfootball
21-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Just got on to see some of the replies to my post. A few people making out like I've said play him in goals! Listen I'm not an idiot I know my football, taiwo would be a far better option at rb than Stevenson! Mullen looks a liability, Clancy is injured! I agree with other people saying why don't we sign one. Wilson would of been ideal as would hately! However how many can we have on the books, Clancy, Mullen still gonna be getting their wages! My point was to utilise what we have Tom should be tried at rb on Saturday he has the attributes to be a decent rb and do a job for us there. Nielsen beside him talking non stop would help keep him right.

IanM
22-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Just got on to see some of the replies to my post. A few people making out like I've said play him in goals! Listen I'm not an idiot I know my football, taiwo would be a far better option at rb than Stevenson! Mullen looks a liability, Clancy is injured! I agree with other people saying why don't we sign one. Wilson would of been ideal as would hately! However how many can we have on the books, Clancy, Mullen still gonna be getting their wages! My point was to utilise what we have Tom should be tried at rb on Saturday he has the attributes to be a decent rb and do a job for us there. Nielsen beside him talking non stop would help keep him right.

Right back is a big issue - Mullen has been trying too hard, hasn't worked for him yet and needs just a bit more time to settle into playing for us, wee break from the XI to find a bit more composure etc but not sure why you think Neilson talking to TT would benefit him? why isn't Neilson doing this to Mullen instead? make more sense if it was that simple.

Stevie Reid
22-08-2013, 11:28 AM

In the 7 and a half years since he left Dundee Utd for Celtic, Mark Wilson has started 124 games, which works out at 16.5 games a year. Replacing an injury prone RB with another one, who would no doubt command a good wage, was not the answer.

A much greater argument can be made for paying the kind of wages Hateley could command, but I've no idea if he'd fancy coming here.

scoopyboy
22-08-2013, 11:30 AM
We should definitly sign Hatley, Clancy could play Centre half when he is fit, problem solved

Not if we signed Hatley he wouldn't, unless Pat stuck to not playing his best players (like McGivern on saturday)

You could argue that for thousands of players.

As it stands we don't have Hateley and therefore I stand by my comment that if fit Clancy would be playing right back.

Eyrie
22-08-2013, 01:16 PM

As it stands we don't have Hateley and therefore I stand by my comment that if fit Clancy would be playing right back.

The key word in that comment is "if", unfortunately. Mullen isn't ready to be a regular deputy, so we need a new starter. Latest I've read about Hateley is Motherwell have said they're not interested, which would imply he's still a free agent and not going to Sevco Huns.

J-C
22-08-2013, 02:09 PM

I agree but it's a big if with Clancy, like McPake he sees the treatment table all too often.

lugz
22-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I agree but it's a big if with Clancy, like McPake he sees the treatment table all too often.

Was Clancy this bad at Motherwell?

J-C
22-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Was Clancy this bad at Motherwell?

Can't remember TBH, thought he was more a CH than a RB