PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon - was he a cheap option

Bay Area Hibees
21-08-2013, 03:47 AM
Enjoyed some threads recently particularly around players out of position. There are clearly lots people who understand the game on here (not saying I'm one of them!)

Question, people often say fenlon was cheap option. What do we pay him compared to other spl managers? Can't imagine he's on less than others bar Lennon?

I was worried to read fenlon say players were not trying hard enough. That's not acceptable but if they think he's on way out there's chance they won't step it up.

I'm hoping fans hang in there and we pull out of this. I'm not at all convinced new manager will make difference and song believe change of ownership is good idea either.

Salisbury Hibby
21-08-2013, 05:06 AM
I've got no idea, but one of the things wrong about football, is that details of salaries don't appear to be confidential. It it can be very divisive in an organisation.

Sprouleflyer
21-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Enjoyed some threads recently particularly around players out of position. There are clearly lots people who understand the game on here (not saying I'm one of them!)

Question, people often say fenlon was cheap option. What do we pay him compared to other spl managers? Can't imagine he's on less than others bar Lennon?

I was worried to read fenlon say players were not trying hard enough. That's not acceptable but if they think he's on way out there's chance they won't step it up.

I'm hoping fans hang in there and we pull out of this. I'm not at all convinced new manager will make difference and song believe change of ownership is good idea either.

What I want to know is what was Hibs expensive option? Was there one?

Jack
21-08-2013, 06:52 AM
This was discussed at a supporters meeting some time ago.

When Fenlon was employed he was the third highest paid after celtc and rangers, as they were then.

I don't remember it being discussed since, nor do I know if other clubs have caught up, so I can't say if that's still the case.

It was a hefty amount, don't know if by saying how much I'm giving away confidential information so I won't say, maybe its in the accounts.

HibeeEmma
21-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Although I'll support Fenlon while he's Hibs manager, I do think he was a cheap option- and it's showing. Brought in from a lower league than where Hibs should be aiming for, we need a manager who is experienced, knows the speed and dynamics of winning in Scottish football. If we had someone like that I'm sure they would be much more expensive to keep on the books.

Yet again Petrie has balanced the books but with no entertainment to show for it.

J-C
21-08-2013, 09:06 AM
At a time when we needed experience to help our team up the league and make it better, we again went for the manager with potential option. Fenlon came from a league equivalent to our Div 1 where he did pretty well, the jump up to our level has proved difficult and TBH it looks increasingly like a jump too much.

Stevie Reid
21-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I would imagine that the Hibs manager's job is amongst the best paid in Scotland, as it should be - I don't think that any of our recent managers were a "cheap" option, and as another poster asked, what was the expensive option in each case?

Fenlon certainly wasn't a cheap option in 2010: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8440296.stm

1068gary
21-08-2013, 10:14 AM
one thing that seems certain now, is that wee Pat will not be moving away. if he can survive the last 5 results, he can survive anything!

Squealing pig
21-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Dundee utd got a lucky escape when the tried to get fenlon.

LioNeilMessi
21-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Although I'll support Fenlon while he's Hibs manager, I do think he was a cheap option- and it's showing. Brought in from a lower league than where Hibs should be aiming for, we need a manager who is experienced, knows the speed and dynamics of winning in Scottish football. If we had someone like that I'm sure they would be much more expensive to keep on the books.

Yet again Petrie has balanced the books but with no entertainment to show for it.

I think at the time no manager at a higher level would touch Hibs with a barge pole as it was (is still) a poisoned chalice.

Also, I'm not defending Petrie for this, but if his goal was to simply to 'balance the books' then he would of taken that compensation offered for Calderwood and given Billy Brown (a very cheap option) a manager's contract.

KWJ
21-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I would imagine that the Hibs manager's job is amongst the best paid in Scotland, as it should be - I don't think that any of our recent managers were a "cheap" option, and as another poster asked, what was the expensive option in each case?

Fenlon certainly wasn't a cheap option in 2010: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8440296.stm

What I was going to look for.

IberianHibernian
21-08-2013, 11:19 AM
The money made from 2 successive runs to the cup final for the first time in almost 90 years will more than have paid his salary .

Sammy7nil
21-08-2013, 11:48 AM
The money made from 2 successive runs to the cup final for the first time in almost 90 years will more than have paid his salary .

I think thas has or will be more than balanced downward by low league gates only 9100 on the first day of the season was not what Hibs were looking for. :cb

Hibercelona
21-08-2013, 01:50 PM
What I want to know is what was Hibs expensive option? Was there one?

Strachan Surely?

Jack
21-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Strachan Surely?

I'm sure he said thanks but no thanks.

Hibercelona
21-08-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm sure he said thanks but no thanks.

I don't really believe that for a second. He always said that his dream was to play for Hibs one day. If Hibs had put in a fair enough offer for him, I don't think he would have turned the role down.

ScottB
21-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't really believe that for a second. He always said that his dream was to play for Hibs one day. If Hibs had put in a fair enough offer for him, I don't think he would have turned the role down.

Easy for him to say that after the fact when he's in a better paid job though...

The Falcon
21-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Would he still be able to do that now he has had a hip replacement?

J-C
21-08-2013, 04:10 PM

I'm not entirely convinced Strachan was even approached for the job, which begs the question......why not? if that was the case.

Golden Bear
21-08-2013, 04:35 PM
one thing that seems certain now, is that wee Pat will not be moving away. if he can survive the last 5 results, he can survive anything!

:agree:

Cheap option or not, we're stuck with him until the end of the season imo.

It was no coincidence that the day following the latest Derby debacle, Kevin Thomson, Murdo Mcleod, Pat Stanton and Pat Nevin all came out in support of Fenlon and if that wasn't orchestrated by the Board then I'm a dutchman.

Northernhibee
21-08-2013, 05:19 PM
It doesn't matter if our next manager is a cheap option or an expensive option or a buy one get two free option, all I want is the right option.

Unless a manager is way beyond our budget the cost should not be the focus of our attention, it needs to be on what they will do to turn us around.

Hibby Kay-Yay
21-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Even a cheap option can turn out to be expensive depending on results. Had we not had those 2 consecutive cup runs then Fenlon would have been out before now and he'd have cost us big. He could still cost us by turning fans away this season.