PDA

View Full Version : Should we remark the pitch

spike220
20-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Can someone who knows something about this shed some light on this. I hear that Easter Road is a nice wide pitch, but this does not seem to benefit us at all. Has any thought been given to remarking the pitch to make it narrower? Would this make a difference? I am guessing the wider pitch gives team with width and pace an advantage, so should we remark the line till we can use the extra width, surly that would be quite a cheap option, that may help even if only by 5%.

SMAXXA
20-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Can someone who knows something about this shed some light on this. I hear that Easter Road is a nice wide pitch, but this does not seem to benefit us at all. Has any thought been given to remarking the pitch to make it narrower? Would this make a difference? I am guessing the wider pitch gives team with width and pace an advantage, so should we remark the line till we can use the extra width, surly that would be quite a cheap option, that may help even if only by 5%.

I don't thnk this is a bad shout at all

J-C
20-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Pretty sure there's a minimum width the pitch has to be for domestic matches.

Twa Cairpets
20-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Pretty sure there's a minimum width the pitch has to be for domestic matches.

Haven't got my laws of the game handy, but think the pitch needs to be between 70 and 80 yards wide, 120-130 yards long

The Modfather
20-08-2013, 09:35 AM
We should also add arrows onto to the pitch, that can be reversed at half time, that show the team what direction to pass the ball and what direction to support Collins.

Waxy
20-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Well if our players are not giving 100 percent it's a good shout to narrow the pitch.
Oh the ball is gonna be 10 yards away. I wont make a run.
Oh the ball is gonna be 5 yards away. Ok then. I'll run if i must.
Good call

Craig_in_Prague
20-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Or how about going out and signing some good, quick, natural wide men that every other team in the world appears to have.

Unless Pat's plan is to narrow the pitch, get Clancy back in the team (long-throws), improve our hoofball to get better results... and then change our name to Stoke City :)

Brightside
20-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Does any one know why we are watering the pitch so much during games times? Before the game, at Half Time, and After. There must be a reason for it....but im flummixed.

spike220
20-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Does any one know why we are watering the pitch so much during games times? Before the game, at Half Time, and After. There must be a reason for it....but im flummixed. Grass needs water to grow.

Sweet Left Peg
20-08-2013, 11:05 AM
I am sure there must be some sort of gypsy's curse on Hibs too, so how about we get Rod to pish on the corner flags to get rid of it? We would get a few more walkups if he did it at half time...

Sir David Gray
20-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Haven't got my laws of the game handy, but think the pitch needs to be between 70 and 80 yards wide, 120-130 yards long

100-130 yards long and 50-100 yards wide.

In international matches, it's between 110-120 yards long and between 70-80 yards wide.

Sir David Gray
20-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I think once the season has started you can't change it

Correct.

Keith_M
20-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm not aware of any rule that stops clubs doing this during the season, as long as the pitch is still within the legal measurements. The pitch at ER is actually quite large so could be narrowed quite easily and still be legal. Clubs have done this before during the season, I remember Rangers doing it for a European tie.

That aside, it seems a bit drastic that it would even be consdiered to cover for the deficits of the team. Mowbray and Collins teams could rip other teams apart on wide pitches. I'd much rather see a return to that kind of football.

Maybe we should re-sign Alan O'Brien and Ivan Sproule :wink:

Leith Mo
20-08-2013, 11:14 AM
I definitely remember Souness doing this at Ibrox once for a European game and being praised for his innovation. Wouldn't want us to be tarred with the same brush as Der Hun - and I also think that those whose name we shall not speak tried it a few years ago? Let's leave cheating and tinkering with rules etc to the bankrupt ones

Hibs Class
20-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Does any one know why we are watering the pitch so much during games times? Before the game, at Half Time, and After. There must be a reason for it....but im flummixed.

Idea is that a watered pitch allows passes to zip across the turf more, whereas if it's dry then the grass can be a bit sticky. A lot of teams do it before kick off and at half time.

lord bunberry
20-08-2013, 11:19 AM
It's probably a good idea, but it's utterly depressing that we're even discussing it.

Keith_M
20-08-2013, 11:21 AM
It's probably a good idea, but it's utterly depressing that we're even discussing it.

:agree:

Brightside
20-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Grass needs water to grow.

Thanks Percy!

Golden Bear
20-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Have the goalposts been erected this season yet?

Just wondering.

Dunderhall
20-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Idea is that a watered pitch allows passes to zip across the turf more, whereas if it's dry then the grass can be a bit sticky. A lot of teams do it before kick off and at half time.
So the question remains, why are we watering the grass.:wink:

SaulGoodman
20-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I often make loads of remarks towards the direction of the pitch during the game

nribs
20-08-2013, 04:46 PM
100-130 yards long and 50-100 yards wide.

In international matches, it's between 110-120 yards long and between 70-80 yards wide.
50 yards wide would be very narrow? An 18 yard box is 42 yards wide which would only leave 3 yards either side of the 18 yard box

nribs
20-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Oops 44 yards wide sorry

HibeesLA
20-08-2013, 04:51 PM
50 yards wide would be very narrow? An 18 yard box is 42 yards wide which would only leave 3 yards either side of the 18 yard box

He is correct, you can be as narrow as 50 yards:

LAW 1 – THE FIELD OF PLAY

Dimensions

The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length (touch line):
* minimum 90 m (100 yds)
* maximum 120 m (130 yds)

Width (goal line):
* minimum 45 m (50 yds)
* maximum 90 m (100 yds)

All lines must be of the same width, which must be not more than 12 cm (5 ins).

For International matches, the dimensions change:

International matches

Length:
minimum 100 m (110 yds)
maximum 110 m (120 yds)

Width:
minimum 64 m (70 yds)
maximum 75 m (80 yds)

I believe Rangers (the old one that doesn't exist anymore), changed their pitch and narrowed it to try and curtail the pacey wingers in European football one year. Didn't help them, they got stuffed.

Mentalbarnett
20-08-2013, 05:01 PM
As said above glasgow sevco narrowed there pitch for a european tie, Stoke also did this for there recent european endeavour. I'm sure this was allowed as it was a different competition from the domestic league but they had to change the pitch back for every league game.

FranckSuzy
20-08-2013, 05:30 PM
So the question remains, why are we watering the grass.:wink:

I asked someone at ER that very question last week and was
told that Leeds started the trend, so the home team was used to
the slippy surface, therefore giving them an advantage over
the away team.....

LongshanksED
20-08-2013, 06:04 PM
If watering the grass helps passes along the ground, then surely with our hoofball style as of late it's only giving the visiting teams an advantage

LeithBoozy
20-08-2013, 06:22 PM
A bit dodgy,Thomson would have an excuse to give a penalty against us, if we were taking a throw in. :rolleyes:

Hainan Hibs
20-08-2013, 06:25 PM
It saddens me that in the 10 years or so since we had the likes of Sauzee, Latapy,and Zitelli gracing us with their style of football, we are now reduced to narrowing our pitch because essentially we can't play football and have to stop the other team from doing so.

brydekirk
20-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Nae chance of RP or Fenlon working that one out

hibbymick
20-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Im surprised Rods not demanded the pitch to be made smaller.........theres a wee saving on the white marking paint to be made.

GreenCastle
20-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Im surprised Rods not demanded the pitch to be made smaller.........theres a wee saving on the white marking paint to be made.

Surprised he's allowing for it to be watered - and doesn't want to save on the water bill!

The watered pitch is to allow for our free flowing attacking football to move that bit quicker..next time you see it let me know.

P.S - No we shouldn't narrow pitch - the team needs to get fitter / use the width / play wide players and pass the ball :greengrin

jane_says
20-08-2013, 09:23 PM
It saddens me that in the 10 years or so since we had the likes of Sauzee, Latapy,and Zitelli gracing us with their style of football, we are now reduced to narrowing our pitch because essentially we can't play football and have to stop the other team from doing so.

This

erin go bragh
20-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Why dont we just sign a couple of pacey wingers :cb fin narrow the pitch . :fuming:

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2013, 09:38 PM
He is correct, you can be as narrow as 50 yards:

LAW 1 – THE FIELD OF PLAY

Dimensions

The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length (touch line):
* minimum 90 m (100 yds)
* maximum 120 m (130 yds)

Width (goal line):
* minimum 45 m (50 yds)
* maximum 90 m (100 yds)

All lines must be of the same width, which must be not more than 12 cm (5 ins).

For International matches, the dimensions change:

International matches

Length:
minimum 100 m (110 yds)
maximum 110 m (120 yds)

Width:
minimum 64 m (70 yds)
maximum 75 m (80 yds)

I believe Rangers (the old one that doesn't exist anymore), changed their pitch and narrowed it to try and curtail the pacey wingers in European football one year. Didn't help them, they got stuffed.

It did help them. They beat Dynamo Kiev 2-0 and went through to the next round.

Miguel
20-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Thought the same myself. And as we don't have any wide players with Harris being out, might be worth a shout.

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2013, 09:40 PM
This

To be fair the Sky money gave us those players but agree players of that ilk are sadly missed...

HibeesLA
21-08-2013, 02:57 AM
It did help them. They beat Dynamo Kiev 2-0 and went through to the next round.

Thanks road kill :)

I wasn't able to dig around to see what year(s) they did it, so was going by fuzzy memory.

Bay Area Hibees
21-08-2013, 03:53 AM
We should also add arrows onto to the pitch, that can be reversed at half time, that show the team what direction to pass the ball and what direction to support Collins.

Well played RSF gave me chuckle there

SquashedFrogg
21-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks road kill :)

I wasn't able to dig around to see what year(s) they did it, so was going by fuzzy memory.

Haha... Sorry about that although they may have done it since then and got pumped..

Bostonhibby
21-08-2013, 08:10 AM

This.
We used to be better than that. Why don't we just move the pitch 90 degrees and put the goals on what was the half way line then we can truly crack on with the 10 man midfield plan without them all falling over each other to pass it across the line before launching it.