PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon's Greatest Achievement

TheFamous1875
19-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Leigh Griffiths.

FromTheCapital
19-08-2013, 04:41 PM
His 10ft leap in the air after the goal in the Scottish Cup against Hearts last year.

Bob Box Fish
19-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Staying awake for ninety minutes watching his team.

johnbc70
19-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Getting the Hibs job.

lugz
19-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Getting the Hibs job.

Remaining in the hibs job

Davy Mac
19-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Getting the Hibs job.

Funny, like that :-))))

down-the-slope
19-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Changing the culture and attitude that had infested squad - last season unbeaten against them after that final - making 2 SC Finals in a row with weak squads in middle of transition...

Edit...not reading other posts, made mistake of assuming was genuine question :rolleyes:

connerg
19-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Leigh Griffiths.

It was Calderwood who first signed him on loan.

TheFamous1875
19-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Aye, but it was Fenlon who nurtured him and guided him to above and beyond performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

connerg
19-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Aye, but it was Fenlon who nurtured him and guided him to above and beyond performances.

:agree: Agreed

500miles
19-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Credit where it's due, Leigh is a difficult player to manage. He deserves a bit of credit for that. 2 Scottish cup finals on the trot is an achievement, regardless of the outcomes.

Golden Bear
19-08-2013, 04:56 PM
"Steady Progress "

Remember that one?

:rolleyes:

TheFamous1875
19-08-2013, 04:58 PM
"Steady Progress "

Remember that one?

:rolleyes:

He has progressed us from what we were, but I don't think he can take us beyond this. We'll only go backwards.

TheFamous1875
19-08-2013, 04:59 PM
You know what, maybe Fenlon would be a good number 2?

jacomo
19-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Credit where it's due, Leigh is a difficult player to manage. He deserves a bit of credit for that. 2 Scottish cup finals on the trot is an achievement, regardless of the outcomes.

It's a lovely day out!

:greengrin

:wink:

Up The Bracket
19-08-2013, 05:03 PM
He's done what he was brought in to do, he came in to discover a team of clowns who didn't give a ****, he somehow kept them up and got them to a cup final.

He then improved the team and got rid of all the primadona's and finished higher up the table and reached another cup final.

He can't take us any further I'm afraid, although, discounting the last few months, I think he's done well, it's time to move on, yeah, but he doesn't deserve anything like the abuse he gets.

When he does go, I wish him all the best in the future.

Broken Gnome
19-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Shouldn't be underestimated. Likely will be as his popularity dwindles further.

Having the worst start to a Scottish Cup campaign in Hibs' history. And the worst end to one.

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2013, 05:07 PM

No it isn't. The Scottish Cup is a joke of tournament and our terrible luck in it shouldn't obscure that. Hibs beat dross to get there, then performed poorly against two pretty average teams in the finals.

John_the_angus_hibby
19-08-2013, 05:54 PM
He's done what he was brought in to do, he came in to discover a team of clowns who didn't give a ****, he somehow kept them up and got them to a cup final.

He then improved the team and got rid of all the primadona's and finished higher up the table and reached another cup final.

Whilst I agree with the posters summary after the above quote, the above quote challenges the current frisson going on over Pat's position. If we agree the above, then can we not expect further steady progress and that a poor start to this season could be viewed with a longer lens than a handful of games?

Just saying like!

Hibernia&Alba
19-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Successive cup finals is an achievement, IMO, even though the performance in each was shocking.

Hibercelona
19-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Besides this?

:fenlon

Nothing at all.

HFC 0-7
19-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Dodging the bullet for so long

flash
19-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Allowing a lot of empty vessels on here the chance to rattle around? This forum is brutal right now.

Hibernia&Alba
19-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Allowing a lot of empty vessels on here the chance to rattle around? This forum is brutal right now.

There's certainly a lot of anger on here, but it's hardly surprising just now. The whole point of a Hibs forum is to let the fans speak.

Phil D. Rolls
19-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Bring back Yogi.

Sent from my observation room using necromancy.

bingo70
19-08-2013, 06:44 PM
No need for this thread imo. Two cup finals in a row is an achievement, even if the performances when we got there weren't acceptable.

His job when he first got here was to make sure we stayed in the SPL and he achieved that (before anyone re-writes history go back and check the threads about the time he got the job)

I know its not working for him now and he's not been able to kick on from early progress but he's a guy that's clearly trying his best and trying to prove himself.

Imo its time for someone else to take over but taking the piss out of him like what's happening on this thread is unnecessary.

MADE IN LEITH
19-08-2013, 06:54 PM
:confused:

Hibernia&Alba
19-08-2013, 06:55 PM
No need for this thread imo. Two cup finals in a row is an achievement, even if the performances when we got there weren't acceptable.

His job when he first got here was to make sure we stayed in the SPL and he achieved that (before anyone re-writes history go back and check the threads about the time he got the job)

I know its not working for him now and he's not been able to kick on from early progress but he's a guy that's clearly trying his best and trying to prove himself.

Imo its time for someone else to take over but taking the piss out of him like what's happening on this thread is unnecessary.

I do agree that some of things said about Pat have been OTT. I think a lot of it is exasperation: people letting off steam in the place it can be let off. Nobody has cause to have anything personal against him. He's done his best.

Northernhibee
19-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Absolutely 100%.

He may be under huge pressure right now but he's always been respectful about our club and is a true gent. He deserves better.

Franck Stanton
19-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Imo its time for someone else to take over but taking the piss out of him like what's happening on this thread is unnecessary. Agree completely with bit in bold.

TheFamous1875
19-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I never intended this to be for slagging him off. I genuinely believe with the type of character Sparky is that Pat pulled off a master stroke in man-management. The boy's full of confidence, his ability started shining through, his temperament improved tenfold, his work rate and link up play improved by some margin.

I don't think Fenlon taught him these things (assuming that from his approach to constructing a team), but I completely believe he enabled Leigh to realise his potential by mentoring him with the perfect blend of discipline and expression.

I think that's proof that there is some managerial ability in Fenlon, maybe not a number 1, but he obviously can make a big impression on young man who was crying out for it.

Stuarty27
19-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Putting his shoes on the right feet when he leaves the house in the morning

MrRobot
19-08-2013, 10:22 PM

It was Fenlon that let him headbutt him :greengrin

matty_f
19-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Is it convincing the world he doesn't exist?

Leishy1995
19-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Where about in the league were we when Fenlon took over?

Hibernia&Alba
19-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Is it convincing the world he doesn't exist?

I don't think Pat could be accused of being Satan even by his biggest critics :greengrin

Albion Hibs
19-08-2013, 10:39 PM

that s a stretch for me, and I would say that on this basis fenlon a biggest achievement was that people liked him more than calderwood.

Calderwood found him as a player and brought him to hibs, there is nothing to say that if he had not done that we would have had LG last season. His progress was down to him developing as a player not fenlon IMO, plus under fenlon did we not have rumours of fall outs, shop lifting, and Facebook incidents so I don't think other posts about taming or managing are fair.

Pats biggest achievements are the cup runs.

cam75
19-08-2013, 10:56 PM
The chicken dance says it all,I still think he should be given longer,i support every manager but think PF can prove the boo fans wrong!
GGTTH

Sunny1875
20-08-2013, 12:50 AM
The chicken dance says it all,I still think he should be given longer,i support every manager but think PF can prove the boo fans wrong!
GGTTH

Agreed

Sir David Gray
20-08-2013, 01:07 AM

Totally agree, particularly with the bit in bold.

I've actually been quite shocked by some of the abuse that has been directed at Fenlon on here in recent weeks.

People are entitled to express their displeasure at what they're seeing on the pitch and the manager has to bear the brunt of that but there's no need for some of the personal stuff that has been thrown around recently.

I also agree with your point about our expectations when he was first appointed. The club was at an all time low after we had just had one of the worst managers we have ever had in recent memory and we were looking like prime candidates for relegation that season.

We stayed up and so from that point of view, he succeeded. Last season, we were one of the most improved sides in the league although I accept that really wasn't too hard considering how bad we had been the year before.

Although the start to this season hasn't been all that encouraging, I am expecting at least a top half finish this year and anything less than that would be unacceptable.

I'm still hopeful that he can turn things around and get us to where we need to be and I'm interested to see who else is brought in over the next 10 days or so before the end of the window.

Beefster
20-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Where about in the league were we when Fenlon took over?

9th.

DAVE1875
20-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Breaking our League game hoodoo over them (Although most credit must go to Rossco)

hibsbollah
20-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Changing the culture and attitude that had infested squad - last season unbeaten against them after that final - making 2 SC Finals in a row with weak squads in middle of transition...

Edit...not reading other posts, made mistake of assuming was genuine question :rolleyes:

This :agree:
I also think his time is up, but ignoring the positives of his spell is stupid. Reading some of the posts on here you'd think he inherited a dream job after Calderwood, Hughes, Mixu et al :rolleyes: He toughened us up, made us harder to bully, but hasnt shown he knows how to go on and take the next step and make us more attacking and expansive. He never got enough credit for bringing Leigh on either IMO, at the end of 2011/12 season some geniuses on here didnt rate him and he had a poor strike rate. He's also been exceptionally unlucky with some of the bizarre collapses of key players' form; McPake and Cairney in particular.

All in all, time's up. 4/10 for effort.

Treadstone
20-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Some nice revisionism going on. Under CC we had a better points per game record in 2011/2012 than PF. On that basis CC would have saved us from relegation too. You can debate who got us into that mess (CC, Yogi or Mixu) that's fine. Looking at the numbers PF aint the Harry Houdini some have painted him.

NB This is not to be taken as an endorsement of Calderwood.

TheFamous1875
20-08-2013, 07:07 AM
He's also been exceptionally unlucky with some of the bizarre collapses of key players' form; McPake and Cairney in particular.

It can be argued that its also partly his making as he never got these players to keep up their standards. Or it may even be his fault they lost form/seem different players through his training methods, etc.

down-the-slope
20-08-2013, 07:39 AM
This :agree:
I also think his time is up, but ignoring the positives of his spell is stupid. Reading some of the posts on here you'd think he inherited a dream job after Calderwood, Hughes, Mixu et al :rolleyes: He toughened us up, made us harder to bully, but hasnt shown he knows how to go on and take the next step and make us more attacking and expansive. He never got enough credit for bringing Leigh on either IMO, at the end of 2011/12 season some geniuses on here didnt rate him and he had a poor strike rate. He's also been exceptionally unlucky with some of the bizarre collapses of key players' form; McPake and Cairney in particular.

All in all, time's up. 4/10 for effort.

And must try harder...or am i mixing up with my childhood school reports :greengrin

Keith_M
20-08-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm torn between these answers

1) Staying in his job after the worst aggregate defeat ever for a Scottish club in Europe

2) Staying in his job after being beaten by Hearts under 21s.

3) Finishing 7th in a league that contained no Rangers, a Dundee team that had prepared for life in the 1st Division and a Hearts team whose club were in the process of imploding and had lost most of their best players.

4) Managing to convince some of the fans that he made us tougher at the back (incredibly still believed by some), despite conceding more goals than Hearts, who finished in 10th and losing 7-0 at home to Malmö.

Robinho08
20-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Undefeated against the Yams, season 2012-13.

Cropley10
20-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Whatever PF's achievements are they pale into nothing when set against 5-1 and 7-0 and his home record and his win (loss) rate.

This from a manager who didn't realise the significance of the first Cup Final FFS.

His biggest personal achievement is getting the job and hanging on playing for so long playing such eye-bleedingly bad football.

Cropley10
20-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Some nice revisionism going on. Under CC we had a better points per game record in 2011/2012 than PF. On that basis CC would have saved us from relegation too. You can debate who got us into that mess (CC, Yogi or Mixu) that's fine. Looking at the numbers PF aint the Harry Houdini some have painted him.

NB This is not to be taken as an endorsement of Calderwood.

Theres no difference in style of play.

But Fenlon has been allowed to sign much better players.

Cropley10
20-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Totally agree, particularly with the bit in bold.

I've actually been quite shocked by some of the abuse that has been directed at Fenlon on here in recent weeks.

People are entitled to express their displeasure at what they're seeing on the pitch and the manager has to bear the brunt of that but there's no need for some of the personal stuff that has been thrown around recently.

I also agree with your point about our expectations when he was first appointed. The club was at an all time low after we had just had one of the worst managers we have ever had in recent memory and we were looking like prime candidates for relegation that season.

We stayed up and so from that point of view, he succeeded. Last season, we were one of the most improved sides in the league although I accept that really wasn't too hard considering how bad we had been the year before.

Although the start to this season hasn't been all that encouraging, I am expecting at least a top half finish this year and anything less than that would be unacceptable.

I'm still hopeful that he can turn things around and get us to where we need to be and I'm interested to see who else is brought in over the next 10 days or so before the end of the window.

what 'personal stuff'??

He's a dud. We're drifting.

i renewed 3 STs but I won't be back til he's playing attractive football or emptied.

It's a mans world and this is a message board. :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
20-08-2013, 08:51 PM
what 'personal stuff'??

He's a dud. We're drifting.

i renewed 3 STs but I won't be back til he's playing attractive football or emptied.

It's a mans world and this is a message board. :rolleyes:

Some of the stuff that has been posted about Fenlon over the past couple of weeks, particularly after the Malmo game and the derby, is disgusting.

I'm not sure if a lot of the stuff has now been deleted, it certainly should have been, but take a look back at some of the threads at the time and you might see what I mean.

I fully understand why people are unhappy with how this season has started and I have no problem with people saying that Fenlon should be sacked but there's no need for some of the personal insults that have been thrown his way recently.