PDA

View Full Version : James Collins - who's under most pressure?

The Sea-gull
19-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I'd say, in order of pressure - 1. Petrie, 2. Fenlon and 3. Collins.

Feel a bit sorry for JC as he is going to get scrutinised even more than your average new player because of the transfer fee and as he has had to folllow Griffiths. For some fans of other leagues they would laugh at the thought of a 200k player being under pressure to justify his fee but this is the reality of the SPL these days and has been for a while.

Fenlon is ultimately (you would hope) the man who sanctioned the signing even if the player was scouted/recommended by someone else so he faces huge pressure especially the way team results and performances are going. The signing of your main striker is probably the position managers are judged the most on.

Petire probably ultimately sanctioned the out lay and therefore must accept the pressure too as it is well reported that he has the final say on everything that happens at Hibs. Would certainly say he does on this occasion.

It is still too early to judge Collins (too Stokes until his fourth game to get his first goal so hoping once JC is off and running they keep coming) he hasn't really had a lot of service and my yet come good but if he doesn't then more serious questions need to be asked of Fenlon and Petrie. Surely we could have got someone who would offer as much, if not more without paying any transfer fee. A sign that maybe Fenlon's scouting and contacts are failry limited.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Collins is under no pressure until he starts receiving decent service then fails.

Northernhibee
19-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Collins is under no pressure until he starts receiving decent service then fails.

This.

sahib
19-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Feel a bit sorry for JC as he is going to get scrutinised even more than your average new player because of the transfer fee and as he has had to folllow Griffiths. For some fans of other leagues they would laugh at the thought of a 200k player being under pressure to justify his fee but this is the reality of the SPL these days and has been for a while.

Fenlon is ultimately (you would hope) the man who sanctioned the signing even if the player was scouted/recommended by someone else so he faces huge pressure especially the way team results and performances are going. The signing of your main striker is probably the position managers are judged the most on.

Petire probably ultimately sanctioned the out lay and therefore must accept the pressure too as it is well reported that he has the final say on everything that happens at Hibs. Would certainly say he does on this occasion.

It is still too early to judge Collins (too Stokes until his fourth game to get his first goal so hoping once JC is off and running they keep coming) he hasn't really had a lot of service and my yet come good but if he doesn't then more serious questions need to be asked of Fenlon and Petrie. Surely we could have got someone who would offer as much, if not more without paying any transfer fee. A sign that maybe Fenlon's scouting and contacts are failry limited.

Giffiths was able to create chances for himself in a one up, type set up. Plenty of high scoring strikers ( if not most of them) have relied on getting the ball on their nappers from crosses or getting the ball inside the opponents box. Poor Collins will struggle to get service like that from the team at the present time.

Heisenberg
19-08-2013, 09:58 AM
It's not as if he's been getting loads of chances of making a mess of it and to be fair to him the few shots he has had have been of his own making. Feel sorry for him as folk on the outside are going to start judging early as we spent money on buying him. He's not the same kind of striker as LG but we don't exactly have the players in the squad to bring the best out of him yet which is inside the penalty box. Griffiths could do it all by himself because he was that good.

YehButNoBut
Leigh only scored 8 from 30 games in his first season for us, think Collins will come good once we figure out how to get the best from him & give him some decent service.

Might take a change of manager for that to happen though.:agree:

gegs70
realistically we only really have 2 strikers....vine is no striker, handling has been playing wel but seems to be playing in midfield so that leaves caldwel!! Yet Fenlon is looking at a winger are we leaving ourselves vey short up front....Im not convinced we have enough up front!!!

Heedersnvolleys
19-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Giffiths was able to create chances for himself in a one up, type set up. Plenty of high scoring strikers ( if not most of them) have relied on getting the ball on their nappers from crosses or getting the ball inside the opponents box. Poor Collins will struggle to get service like that from the team at the present time.

This, LG's goals more than just won us points and hid PF's failings, it glossed over how poorly we're playing last season at times, even at the beginning of the season when we were on a bit if a roll we won games purely due to LG. Collins definitely try's I just can work out what type if striker he is? He is neither a target man or relies on pace so I can only assume a poacher type which is going to be difficult in our set up.

PeterboroHibee
19-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Leigh only scored 8 from 30 games in his first season for us, think Collins will come good once we figure out how to get the best from him & give him some decent service.

Might take a change of manager for that to happen though.:agree:

I dont think its that difficult to see how to get the best of him, he looks like a fairly good and intelligent forward, and can finish well (based on his previous seasons) - hes shown that he can get on the end of good balls in from the wings, and he seems to like it at his feet in and around the box.

The way we are playing just now gets absolutely nothing out of him however.

JimBHibees
19-08-2013, 10:09 AM

Agree completely under no pressure. He is young and will take time to settle but to me looks a good player.

The Sea-gull
19-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Agree completely under no pressure. He is young and will take time to settle but to me looks a good player.

Sorry but whether you like it, I like it or he likes it, if an SPL team spends 200k on you then you are under pressure to score goals. Every stirker is under pressure to score goals and prove themselves when they sign for a club but if you are clearly the main man and the outlay has gone on you then it doesn't matter who you are or how old you are, you are under pressure to score goals. Even more so if the team is not performing.

Yes, service has been poor and still too early to judge but to say he is "completely under no pressure" is well wide of the mark.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry but whether you like it, I like it or he likes it, if an SPL team spends 200k on you then you are under pressure to score goals. Every stirker is under pressure to score goals and prove themselves when they sign for a club but if you are clearly the main man and the outlay has gone on you then it doesn't matter who you are or how old you are, you are under pressure to score goals. Even more so if the team is not performing.

Yes, service has been poor and still too early to judge but to say he is "completely under no pressure" is well wide of the mark.

I always find it odd when folk ask for opinions on here, then when they receive one they don't like get all humpty about it.

Brightside
19-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Collins is under no pressue while he continues putting in his current level of effort. If others matched him he might get a chance to score. Vine on the other hand needs to show the same level of hunger if he wants to stay around.

steakbake
19-08-2013, 10:23 AM
I always find it odd when folk ask for opinions on here, then when they receive one they don't like get all humpty about it.

The Jim Traynor approach to sports conversations?

YehButNoBut
19-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Think he'll put pressure on himself, in his interview before his first game he was talking about his target was scoring more than the 18 goals (I think) he scored last season.

Until he starts hitting the back of the net he is bound to feel under some pressure, which will increase the longer he goes without scoring, same for all strikers.

Northernhibee
19-08-2013, 10:30 AM

We all know what seagulls are famous for producing mind.

easty
19-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Collins is under no pressure. Christ, the laddie has barely had a chance to kick a ball for us yet!

I know some people are desperate to have a go at Petrie, but seriously....so he's at fault if we don't spend money, and he's at fault if he does open the cheque book but the managers signings aren't good enough?

easty
19-08-2013, 10:45 AM
We all know what seagulls are famous for producing mind.

80's pop classics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU

JimBHibees
19-08-2013, 10:49 AM

I mentioned he will need time to settle so at present IMO he is completely under no pressure. If he has scored no goals in ten games he will be under more pressure. Not rocket science.

jacomo
19-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Great, if he doesn't score in his next game lets get on his back proper style. :rolleyes:

Hibs have enough problems right now without ramping up the pressure on our new striker, which is all this thread seems to be about. A bit of encouragement from the stands would help right now.

Brightside
19-08-2013, 11:17 AM
a £20m striker would struggle to score on our team at the moment.

DanHFC1875
19-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Who's under the most pressure, Fenlon! Most fans want him out even if we start picking up results, for things that have already happened, things that he cannot change. I wish Collins the best of luck and hopefully he'll be finding the net on a regular basis soon enough, no matter who is in charge.

GlenrothesHibee
19-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Exactly

GraniteCityHibs
19-08-2013, 12:06 PM

He's under the pressure that any striker would put themselves under. He knows he needs to score goals. I don't think there will be pressure coming from anywhere else.

Can I suggest you change the title of the thread if that was the ultimate point you were trying to make.Or just don't form it as a question about Fenlon/Petrie/JC asking for people's opinions if your overall point is to say that JC is under pressure.

A simple: 'James Collins is under pressure' would suffice.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I feel a it sorry for him too but wouldn't add fuel to the fire with a thread on the topic but hey ho.

Hibercelona
19-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Although I agree that he's been dealt a bad hand by being put into a team full of donkeys. A striker sometimes has to take matters into their own hands, instead of just waiting for something to happen.

Perhaps he could track back more often and help the team win the ball back in midfield. Or if he's given the ball too early, perhaps he could be a bit more positive and try to take on more players?

Strikers need to be creative. When things aren't handed to them on a plate, sometimes they need to try something different in order to score goals.

joe breezy
19-08-2013, 12:43 PM
A footballer recently signed from Swindon is under pressure because of the way Hibs have been run for the past 5 years?

The Sea-gull
19-08-2013, 12:49 PM
A footballer recently signed from Swindon is under pressure because of the way Hibs have been run for the past 5 years?

No, a footballer is under pressure because he is a striker who has been signed for a huge fee (in our league's terms) and is expected to be the team's main goal threat and said team is struggling for goals.

It goes without saying that a striker needs service and it is early days but as each games passes there will be more pressure on the player himself and pressure on the manager for sanctioning the signing and pressure on the Petrie for sanctioning such a signifcant out lay of cash on him.

The Sea-gull
19-08-2013, 12:52 PM
He's under the pressure that any striker would put themselves under. He knows he needs to score goals. I don't think there will be pressure coming from anywhere else.

Can I suggest you change the title of the thread if that was the ultimate point you were trying to make.Or just don't form it as a question about Fenlon/Petrie/JC asking for people's opinions if your overall point is to say that JC is under pressure.

A simple: 'James Collins is under pressure' would suffice.

The point of the thread was to highlight that he is not the only one who will feel pressure regarding his signing, especially if he doesn't get the goals he has been clearly signed to score.

Fergus52
19-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Although I agree that he's been dealt a bad hand by being put into a team full of donkeys. A striker sometimes has to take matters into their own hands, instead of just waiting for something to happen.

Perhaps he could track back more often and help the team win the ball back in midfield. Or if he's given the ball too early, perhaps he could be a bit more positive and try to take on more players?

Strikers need to be creative. When things aren't handed to them on a plate, sometimes they need to try something different in order to score goals.

You ever see Michael Higdon do that?

lucky
19-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Fenlon is the only one under pressure. RP is safe as STF controls his fate and history proves he's safe. As for JC he's under no pressure the service he has received is embarrassing. The guys not had a chance to show what he can do yet.

Billychaotic182
19-08-2013, 02:31 PM
I think the fans are understanding when it comes to Collins. I'm sure it took stokes a good few games before he scored also. Once we get a few wins and confidence back I can see us going on a good run.

Hibercelona
19-08-2013, 03:08 PM
You ever see Michael Higdon do that?

Why would he?

Motherwell had a decent midfield and had no problem creating oppurtunities for him up front.

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Yes, agreed. Almost impossible to criticise Collins right now, and anybody who does is simply an arse who knows zilch about the game of association football.

Onceinawhile
19-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I'd say he is under pressure. He had a good chance vs hearts that he could have squared to vine for a tap in, but sclaffed straight at the keeper, and he has a chance from a similar position vs Dundee United that he put past the keepers far post. If he had scores either of those there wouldn't be nearly as much teeth gnashing as at present.

Don't know why petrie would be under pressure for backing his manager either??

hfc rd
19-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Don't know why Collins is under pressure? The guy needs service and so far the service to him has been really poor. It's not his fault, he has to keep coming deeper and deeper to receive the ball which allows the opposition to push forward and make it narrow.