PDA

View Full Version : Football songs

Lucius Apuleius
18-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Was at a retiral do for one of my mates last night. As has been previously stated I probably have too many mates of hunnish tendencies, mainly due to where I come from. Obviously Simply the Best and Penny Arcade were belted out a few times. I have always liked both songs. Is this wrong? Why the hell should we stop liking particular music because some football team has decided to start singing it. Same goes for Country Roads, Paper Roses, Blue Moon and loads more. In fact one attendee, a hun of particular odiousness and certainly not classified as a mate, actually told the half gassed missus that she should not be dancing to Penny Arcade as she was a Hibby and I would not be pleased. Pile of mince if you ask me.

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Was at a retiral do for one of my mates last night. As has been previously stated I probably have too many mates of hunnish tendencies, mainly due to where I come from. Obviously Simply the Best and Penny Arcade were belted out a few times. I have always liked both songs. Is this wrong? Why the hell should we stop liking particular music because some football team has decided to start singing it. Same goes for Country Roads, Paper Roses, Blue Moon and loads more. In fact one attendee, a hun of particular odiousness and certainly not classified as a mate, actually told the half gassed missus that she should not be dancing to Penny Arcade as she was a Hibby and I would not be pleased. Pile of mince if you ask me.

:agree: Pisses me right off when being told oh you can't play that it's a Hibs/Hearts/Rangers/Celtic song, no they're not they are songs adopted by fans of clubs, the origin of the song has **** all to do with football. As for the muppets who allow the red mist to descend when they hear a certain song wherever they are, what a bunch of ****** clowns.

oconnors_strip
18-08-2013, 09:32 PM
At my dads 65th birthday party earlier this year the DJ Played penny arcade and my relatives from Glasgow were shocked it was allowed to be played as it is banned from being played by many djs in Glasgow as it can cause a lot if friction. It's sad it has come to this

Jones28
18-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Pretty sad songs that people like aren't played/liked because of football. Hearts seem to adopted Hey Jude but I still like it. Nothing wrong with that

BH Hibs
18-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I feel your pain mate coming from where I do. On another note I went to Berwick caravan park once where the Saturday night entertainment was a band called the Dublin Raiders I think. Now they played covers from U2, Thin Lizzy and the likes nothing offensive in a family environment but a certain table took offence and asked him to play Rule Britannia. Credit to the lead singer he got the band to play Penny Arcade and asked them if that was ok for them

Miguel
19-08-2013, 12:19 AM
I know a couple of Rangers fans who love 'Sunshine On Leith' and are big Proclaimers fans. Was at a gig by the boys last year when they sang it and a Jambo lady sang along, but held up the 5-1 throughout...

Leishy1995
19-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I think Sunshine on Leith is collectively loved by most fans.

I've sang it drunk with hearts fans plenty times

ginger_rice
19-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I was in a pub in Stirling a few years back when a bunch of huns who the OP knows well went mental because Green Days Welcome to Paradise came on the juke box, the same lot who think we all should listen to them battering out Billy Boys etc without complaint.

Hibernia&Alba
19-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Was it the proper version of Simply The Best they sang, or the amended version the fans created, removed from Ibrox for religious/political references? They have to ruin everything.

Lucius Apuleius
20-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I was in a pub in Stirling a few years back when a bunch of huns who the OP knows well went mental because Green Days Welcome to Paradise came on the juke box, the same lot who think we all should listen to them battering out Billy Boys etc without complaint.

And the same lot I hope to meet in the kirk one sunday to see how important their religion is to them. ;-)

Hibernia&Alba
21-08-2013, 10:04 PM
And the same lot I hope to meet in the kirk one sunday to see how important their religion is to them. ;-)

I'm sure your Christianity is a million miles away from the hypocrisy of the rabid Hun who shouts about Protestantism whilst never behaving in a remotely Christian way. He's a disgrace to his claimed religion and to this country, and you can forget ever seeing him in kirk or reading his Bible.