PDA

View Full Version : Highlights

hibsbollah
18-08-2013, 05:29 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKJuO3qC4Q

Looks like an overreaction by the ref to send off Thomson, after seeing it again. A yellow each would have been fine.

GREEN WARLORD
18-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Not even a yellow IMO, poor call by the ref.

Hibercelona
18-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Painful highlights to watch. We'll have to improve dramatically.

Craig_in_Prague
18-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Painful highlights to watch. We'll have to improve dramatically.

think you will be saying that every week.

All UTD, looks like they threw away 2 pts

TheMentalHibees
18-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Our defending is shambolic, who the hell is organising that back line? Too often we're getting carved open by one pass, opposition getting one on one with the goalie far too easily.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Nelson looked a bit dodgy at times yeaterday IMO.

Hibercelona
18-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Nelson looked a bit dodgy at times yeaterday IMO.

Killie didn't want to keep him when paying him a fraction of his current wages. That should tell you everything.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Killie didn't want to keep him when paying him a fraction of his current wages. That should tell you everything.

I thought he left Killie for family reasons?

Callum_62
18-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Most if not all of utd's chances 1st half came through Mullen

2nd half was due to us pushing forward

I believe they had 2 shots on target....i dont get the 'we deserved a do in' thought

Utds, while dominated 1st half, didnt really trouble Williams all that much

Again though, we lacked creativity

On Thommo...never a red...but then, if Gunnings tackle wasn't seen, what the hell was he sent off for??!

SaulGoodman
18-08-2013, 06:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Good goal by Robertson, thought we looked better after that.

Doesn't excuse the pishness that was the first half though.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 06:01 PM

Lets not make stuff up.

fatbloke
18-08-2013, 06:02 PM
I am glad i am night shift tonight - after watching the highlights I do not think I would sleep tonight.

CallumLaidlaw
18-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Eh? Bradford paid money to take him there, and he wanted to go because of family reasons. Killie wanted to keep him

Billy Whizz
18-08-2013, 06:03 PM
At the time I thought Thomson raised his arms to Gunning. After watching the highlights, I'm not so sure.
Wonder if Hibs will appeal this.

truehibernian
18-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I've noticed the last three games opposition teams are bypassing our midfield and opting to probe with crossfield balls, specifically towards our right back area. Not only that, Collins is dropping deep to get the ball which means the opposition defence have time and space to wander forward, time and pick their pass.

Pat wouldn't opt for this in a month of Sundays but I'd go 4-3-3 for the next 2 games - Caldwell, Handling and Collins up top. This would mean opposition defences being pressed and not allow them time and space to reach the halfway line unopposed. Granted our full back area would and could still be targeted however it would mean we are pressing higher up the pitch.

The football is utterly appalling under Pat I'm afraid. I don't see it changing anytime soon. United should have won that game by 4 or 5 goals easily.

Wotherspiniesta
18-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Woeful defending for their goal. Almost a replica of the goal we conceded the first game of the season.

Why do we concede such soft, soft goals?

Bishop Hibee
18-08-2013, 06:10 PM
If the ref used common sense it would have been 2 yellows but as soon as Thomson and Gunning came together he was always going to show red.

Utd were miles better in the 1st half, we were miles better in the 2nd so fair result.

Problem is a draw was the nightmare scenario as Fenlon limps on for another week.

The_Exile
18-08-2013, 06:25 PM
United should have won that game by 4 or 5 goals easily.

Assuming you forgot the smiley at the end of that!!!!

Seveno
18-08-2013, 06:26 PM

Looks like an overreaction by the ref to send off Thomson, after seeing it again. A yellow each would have been fine.

From what I saw, the referee originally had his yellow card out. It was either upgrade to red because of the way the players acted in front of him or he received orders through his headpiece.

Allant1981
18-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Where were the other defenders for utds goal? Nelson clearly had a utd player next to him but no one picked up the runner, crazy defending yet again

silverhibee
18-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Had Thomson been booked before that incident. ?

Billy Whizz
18-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Had Thomson been booked before that incident. ?

No

silverhibee
18-08-2013, 07:00 PM
No

:aok:

Shields Hibee
18-08-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm sure there will be much deliberation amongst those on Sportscene tonight & if Pat Nevin is on, he will be telling us Fenlon needs more time etc as we picked up a point at home :rolleyes:

Carheenlea
18-08-2013, 07:02 PM
The Thomson/Gunning fracas looked more deserving of red cards viewing from the East Stand, but the TV pictures suggest a tamer affair. Looked like a deliberate follow through from Gunning in order to hit Thomson, and while you can`t condone his reaction, that is a painful part of your body to be getting hit. You know what it`s like cracking your elbow on a door frame or something similar, so imagine what the pain level would be like getting kicked full on by the boot of that animal Gunning.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I've noticed the last three games opposition teams are bypassing our midfield and opting to probe with crossfield balls, specifically towards our right back area. Not only that, Collins is dropping deep to get the ball which means the opposition defence have time and space to wander forward, time and pick their pass.

Pat wouldn't opt for this in a month of Sundays but I'd go 4-3-3 for the next 2 games - Caldwell, Handling and Collins up top. This would mean opposition defences being pressed and not allow them time and space to reach the halfway line unopposed. Granted our full back area would and could still be targeted however it would mean we are pressing higher up the pitch.

The football is utterly appalling under Pat I'm afraid. I don't see it changing anytime soon. United should have won that game by 4 or 5 goals easily.

Eh, we started 433 in this game.

RoYO!
18-08-2013, 07:37 PM

how many shots on target did they have? I would only have classed them as creating a few half chances with no where near the quality to turn it into goals. 4 or 5 goals easily is nowhere near accurate imo

tamig
18-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Did we really? I must have missed that bit.

lumbo_hfc
18-08-2013, 07:50 PM
What game were you watching? Certainly wasn't Hibs!

Heisenberg
18-08-2013, 07:53 PM
We started in a diamond did we not?

Billy Whizz
18-08-2013, 07:54 PM

We were 433, what game were you watching. Front 3 was Handling, Collins and Vine

hibsbollah
18-08-2013, 08:14 PM
We were 433, what game were you watching. Front 3 was Handling, Collins and Vine

I'm not sure what formation we started with because we didnt have possession often enough to set up in a formation! Later on Handling was definitely playing as a midfielder in a 442 (or operating so deep that it was effectively the same thing)

I guess the only way to get a definitive answer on what formation they were supposed to be playing is from a player on Twitter. Anyone? :greengrin

lumbo_hfc
18-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Was definitely not a 433 (lets be serious here, do you honestly think fenlon would play 3 upfront?), was more like a 4231 then we changed to 442 for the start of the 2nd half then was like a 441 after the goal.

truehibernian
18-08-2013, 08:40 PM

Don't worry it's an andy74 thing - he's always right and seems to readily challenge any point I make on .net - we most certainly were not 4-3-3, not in anyone's world bar his.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Was definitely not a 433 (lets be serious here, do you honestly think fenlon would play 3 upfront?), was more like a 4231 then we changed to 442 for the start of the 2nd half then was like a 441 after the goal.

We started 433. If folk are going to criticise try and base it on reality eh?

Andy74
18-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Don't worry it's an andy74 thing - he's always right and seems to readily challenge any point I make on .net - we most certainly were not 4-3-3, not in anyone's world bar his.

On this one I'm right.

Midfield 3 was Robertson, Thomson and Craig.

Front 3 was Vine, Collins and Handling.

When we kicked off it looked like Handling might be playing in the hole but it quickly went to Vine left and Handling right.

It changed a few times as the game went on but that's how we started.

If Fenlon is to be clueless and tactically inept make sure you can interpret what's going on!

lumbo_hfc
18-08-2013, 08:48 PM

If that was the front 3, where was Liam Craig playing?

Andy74
18-08-2013, 08:52 PM
If that was the front 3, where was Liam Craig playing?

He was left central midfield as part of a midfield 3 to begin with.

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2013, 09:03 PM
:faf: That shows what a shambles we are, we can't even put out a formation that folk can recognise and agree on.

Cameron1875
18-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Was it just me or there were times when Danny Handling was playing in behind the 2 strikers, up front in a 3 man attack then on the right mid in a 4-4-2. Bizarre stuff :faf:.

lumbo_hfc
18-08-2013, 09:08 PM
You may well be right, i just never seen it like that. Looks more like....

Thomson. Robertson

Handling. Vine. Craig

Collins.

With the 3 in behing Collins interchanging positions when we were attacking which wasn't very often.

down-the-slope
18-08-2013, 09:14 PM

:agree: That is what it was - and actually pretty adventurous formation - if vine and craig had not been so honking......

Andy74
18-08-2013, 09:16 PM
:faf: That shows what a shambles we are, we can't even put out a formation that folk can recognise and agree on.

Why does it show what a shambles we are?

It was a fairly obvious set up.

Folk want the ability to change the tactics and formation depending on how the game is going dont they? The plan B we aren't meant to have?

The other argument is that we set up defensively. We started with 3 forwards and 2 midfielders who are quite attacking.

We ended the game playing 3 at the back, two attacking midfielders central and mainly forwards in front of them.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 09:18 PM
:agree: That is what it was - and actually pretty adventurous formation - if vine and craig had not been so honking......

It wasn't you know. Clear lines of 433 to start with and Craig clearly deeper and more central.

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2013, 09:25 PM

Folk want the ability to change the tactics and formation depending on how the game is going dont they? The plan B we aren't meant to have?

The other argument is that we set up defensively. We started with 3 forwards and 2 midfielders who are quite attacking.

We ended the game playing 3 at the back, two attacking midfielders central and mainly forwards in front of them.

It was a tongue in cheek remark mate because folk were disagreeing about what the formation actually was!

eastterrace
18-08-2013, 09:38 PM
maybe at the kick off but we didnt play that during the game

monktonharp
18-08-2013, 09:46 PM

I'M as unhappy about the situation as the next Hibby, but to say we were totally outplayed is overgenerous to Utd. their winger with the double barrelled name caused us all sorts of problems in the first half hour, but he was a conniving diving little twat. young Mullen couldnae deal wi' him and was promptly subbed after his booking.(thank god) and I thought he'd give away a penalty eventually. Thompson, I thought, had really blown it for us, but we somehow dug in and looked like we could win after our goal. to be fair to our RB, he kept us in wi' a shout about 3 times. not my favourite player, even as a LB, but he saved the day and we could have sneaked it.

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm sure there will be much deliberation amongst those on Sportscene tonight & if Pat Nevin is on, he will be telling us Fenlon needs more time etc as we picked up a point at home :rolleyes:Shame on him for having an opinion.

Gustavo Fring
18-08-2013, 09:51 PM
just watched the highlights , as folk have been sayin the red card seemed to fire hibs up . i guess it could be the turning point if things improve any . good goal from robertson - finally starting to look like the player he was at united

Unseen work
18-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Very poor from the referee to send them off for that! Very much handbags and a yellow would of sufficed. Also that is shocking defending for the goal, following your runners is one of the first, very basic things you are taught as a player, there was no one even near him?!

SaulGoodman
18-08-2013, 10:03 PM
According to the stats on Sportscene we had more shots on target!

Just shows you how much I missed.. Was too busy booing and shouting! :wink:

Tyler Durden
18-08-2013, 10:08 PM

In every game we've had several players making little to no contribution. The players have admitted so much themselves. And various pundits made the point after the derby in particular re players seeming unclear on their roles. Vine for example. OTJ another.

So it's a serious point - the players don't appear to know what the tactics are. The manager can't even get them to "work hard". His position is untenable and Petrie is simply prolonging the pain.

SaulGoodman
18-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Drop vine and start Caldwell next week and I'd be quietly confident..

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2013, 10:12 PM
To clear up any confusion I just phoned Pat and asked him what the formation was supposed to be, after using a 50/50, asking the audience in the pub he was in and then eventually phoning a friend (Jimmy Nicholl) who didnt have a ****** clue either Pat opted to take the money and run........................thank ****.

Sir David Gray
18-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Wasn't able to make the game yesterday so I've seen the match for the first time just now on Sportscene.

Never a red card for either Gunning or Thomson.

Both players should have been booked and told to grow up.

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Wasn't able to make the game yesterday so I've seen the match for the first time just now on Sportscene.

Never a red card for either Gunning or Thomson.

Both players should have been booked and told to grow up.

Yes but could you work out what the formation was? :greengrin

Sir David Gray
18-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes but could you work out what the formation was? :greengrin

Before or after the red card? :greengrin

snooky
18-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Very poor from the referee to send them off for that! Very much handbags and a yellow would of sufficed. Also that is shocking defending for the goal, following your runners is one of the first, very basic things you are taught as a player, there was no one even near him?!

Should we stop playing twin CH's and go with one big man and someone with a bit of pace to sweep up the through balls?

mikethehibee69
18-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Just watched the highlights on BBC Scotland, panel of ginga judas and dodds??? :wink: No Pat Nevin:confused:

No mention of why after initial foul was in the box by that animal Gunning,did the fanny in black award it against us and the fact that it should have been a penalty:greengrin, shortest chat about a match ever!!!!

Phil D. Rolls
18-08-2013, 10:19 PM

I don't like your shirt. :greengrin

Unseen work
19-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Should we stop playing twin CH's and go with one big man and someone with a bit of pace to sweep up the through balls?

To be honest I think the blend of Hanlon and nelson is not bad. But god knows what happened for that goal as no one was in position. A high ball over the top should be bread and butter for these guys at this stage, so it would be the reading of the game I would question more than anything. Also I presume it was a midfielder (Thomson/Robertson) that was meant to be marking him and never matched his run.

It's little things like matching players runs that shows yous willingness to win, you might have to make a 20 yard sprint with them and they won't get the ball, but on the 1 occasion they do you have got to be there to stop it!

Mikey
19-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Lets not make stuff up.

Eh? Bradford paid money to take him there, and he wanted to go because of family reasons. Killie wanted to keep him

You've mentioned this before, and you were corrected at the time, yet you continue to make things up. Things are bad enough without people making up bare faced lies so if you're going to continue to do it I can assure you you'll be doing it on another Hibs website.

And if you want to play the "freedom of speech" card then that's fine by me.

Don't do it again.

Hermit Crab
20-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Highlights? Haha

"Grubbing around the message boards"

greenlex
20-08-2013, 11:35 AM
To be honest I think the blend of Hanlon and nelson is not bad. But god knows what happened for that goal as no one was in position. A high ball over the top should be bread and butter for these guys at this stage, so it would be the reading of the game I would question more than anything. Also I presume it was a midfielder (Thomson/Robertson) that was meant to be marking him and never matched his run.

It's little things like matching players runs that shows yous willingness to win, you might have to make a 20 yard sprint with them and they won't get the ball, but on the 1 occasion they do you have got to be there to stop it!
Hard to blame the defence to be honest Midfield not matching runner or either them or forwards not pressing the player making the pass. I think this is what fenlon is alluding to in the not working hard enough stakes.Two league goals conceded in similar fashion arguably costing us at least a couple of points.
Barca play football the right way but they also press all over the park when they dont have the ball.

Brightside
20-08-2013, 12:28 PM
We did actually start 433. But it only lasted 10 mins before Handling was told to stay back to support Mullen. It was then 442 but nobody told Vine who was trying to lay the ball off to Handling who at that point was 20 yrds behind. They then changed to 4411 when Vine ran out of puff.... at no point during this strange ritual did Fenlon get off his back side and try to explain to the players where to play. (Oh apart from telling Craig to keep swapping from Left to Right!) The whole thing was absurd. They had a week to sort out formations etc on the training pitch but for the first half they looked like 9 year old kids!