PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian TV Xtra

Septimus
18-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Is it just me or do fellow subscribers find this to be a poor service. Why, for instance do I get a fine view of a handrail when the ball is at the near touchline? Why does the system appear to struggle with the fact that half the park is bathed in sunshine thus blanking out the picture? Why does the commentary disappear from time to time? Why do I get a screen halfway through the second half telling me that transmission will start fifteen minutes before the game starts.

Over the years I have subscribed to the various Hibs transmissions. This service is worse than most have been. I am a season ticket holder for this service and expect a bit better for my money. There was a time when I could identify players from the screen. No more. The whole thing is fuzzy and the only redeeming feature is the commentary.

joe breezy
18-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Still no word or refund from the Malmo debacle

Greendub
18-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Didn't buy a season ticket after the malmö game, and by the sounds of it the service is still pash, so I'll be keeping my money for a couple home visits instead.

Scotsgirl
18-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Still no word or refund from the Malmo debacle
I would suggest an email further up the ladder worked for me within a couple of hours:greengrin

Big90inOz
18-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Thank god the pic was fuzzy!! I thought my eye sight was going completely.
Add the sunshine / shade and I struggled to know where the ball was
This service has improved tear in year out , however the quality of picture has taken a step back this year

Callum_62
18-08-2013, 11:12 AM
yep, far too low quality a stream i think

although I had barely a hiccup in terms of buffering, the picture quality was terrible....particulary in the sunshine areas

really, i think the picture quality needs improved

sparky
18-08-2013, 01:09 PM
The camera work was pretty poor. How hard is it to get a tripod in a fixed position with a view of the whole pitch. Person filming kept having to lift it over the railing to see the touch line.

If it wasn't for the good commentators, who consistently inform you who is on the ball, I would have had no idea what was going on.

Magnifique
18-08-2013, 03:34 PM
I would suggest an email further up the ladder worked for me within a couple of hours:greengrin

Could you give me the details of person you contacted.

I paid for. Maemo game for the very first time, didn't get login details and as it was it wasn't being streamed properly anyway.

I sent an email to ask for refund, got a reply asking for more info and nothing since.

mikewynne
18-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Thank god the pic was fuzzy!! I thought my eye sight was going completely.
Add the sunshine / shade and I struggled to know where the ball was
This service has improved tear in year out , however the quality of picture has taken a step back this year

It was absolutely terrible, at times it was tough even seeing where the players were never mind the ball. If it wasn't for the commentary I would have had no idea that we had scored.

PeeJay
18-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Is it just me or do fellow subscribers find this to be a poor service. Why, for instance do I get a fine view of a handrail when the ball is at the near touchline? Why does the system appear to struggle with the fact that half the park is bathed in sunshine thus blanking out the picture? Why does the commentary disappear from time to time? Why do I get a screen halfway through the second half telling me that transmission will start fifteen minutes before the game starts.

Over the years I have subscribed to the various Hibs transmissions. This service is worse than most have been. I am a season ticket holder for this service and expect a bit better for my money. There was a time when I could identify players from the screen. No more. The whole thing is fuzzy and the only redeeming feature is the commentary.

No - I've had one or two problems over the years, but generally the service has been OK for me enabling me to see the team at home - every game - when otherwise I wouldn't be able to. It's never been HD resolution - probably never will be - but the pictures for me have mainly been OK. As someone who watches from a distance I'm eternally grateful for the service. Having said that I know that it is run by volunteers and while the camera men have generally been OK, every so often a new guy is tried out or perhaps someone has to fill in at short notice (?). I didn't watch the game on Saturday so I'm not sure about the issues you had - the team have generally been communicative and willing to help when I've emailed them with problems. The investment required to get an excellent service is not going to happen though ... not unlike the situation with the team.

mikewynne
18-08-2013, 04:00 PM
No - I've had one or two problems over the years, but generally the service has been OK for me enabling me to see the team at home - every game - when otherwise I wouldn't be able to. It's never been HD resolution - probably never will be - but the pictures for me have mainly been OK. As someone who watches from a distance I'm eternally grateful for the service. Having said that I know that it is run by volunteers and while the camera men have generally been OK, every so often a new guy is tried out or perhaps someone has to fill in at short notice (?). I didn't watch the game on Saturday so I'm not sure about the issues you had - the team have generally been communicative and willing to help when I've emailed them with problems. The investment required to get an excellent service is not going to happen though ... not unlike the situation with the team.
I can understand why people would particularly complain about yesterday's stream. I think it was mainly due to the sun/shade issue but it was one of the poorest streams in years.

Billy Whizz
18-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Whenever I watch highlights from ER on TV, I think the camera is too high. When it used to be in the old East, apart from the pillars, the height was just perfect for viewing the game

California-Hibs
18-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Made a thread about this yesterday, in which some muppet shot me down. Anyway, exact same problem over here for me. Malmo game didn't even work, email sent, no reply. Motherwell game was really bad quality and yesterday as mentioned was just terrible! Fuzzy players, railing in the way, camera not adapting to the sun and being shaken all over the place, being zoomed out way too much.

It's such ashame because its such a good thing for us overseas supporters to have, but I can't keep parting with 10 pounds for something so poor.

So until I hear the service improves, it's YouTube highlights and watching live games via other streams for me. Gutted about this.

fatbloke
18-08-2013, 06:16 PM
I can understand why people would particularly complain about yesterday's stream. I think it was mainly due to the sun/shade issue but it was one of the poorest streams in years.

Very sadly like many things at the club amateurish.:fuming:

Callum_62
18-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Im a bit loathe to criticise the HI team - as I know alot of hard, unpaid work goes into it

Ive used it lots over the years, and mostly its been fine to be fair

The stream clarity was terrible yesterday though, the worst ive ever seen it, the only reason i knew he had scored was the commentators (who are good)

If that's the way its going to be then its hard to justify 10 quid really.

I dont mind the odd bit of weird camera work etc....but hardly being able to see what's happening isn't good enough

Be interesting to know the bit rate of the stream

hibby6270
18-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Interesting to read this. I will be in Canada for a good chunk of September and was thinking of taking out a subscription to catch a couple of home games I'll miss whilst away. Maybe won't bother now. :confused::grr::grr:

Scouse Hibee
18-08-2013, 06:56 PM
They were doing you a favour deliberately broadcasting the game out of focus!

Cabbage East
18-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I can only imagine the vale for money that users get from this service :faf:

The Green Goblin
19-08-2013, 12:46 AM
I can only imagine the vale for money that users get from this service :faf:

I think they get an awful lot more right than they get wrong. It's not the BBC or Sky...it's a group of Hibees putting in a lot of work so that a fairly decent number of overseas fans like me can get up on a Saturday and support the team, with Hibees commentating too. The criticisms of yesterdays broadcast were justified to some extent- there were issues with focus and lighting (super bright sunlight was behind that) which made it very hard to see what was going on, and the man behind the camera gave me a sair heid when he wobbled it around a couple of times during the game, but it's the first time I've seen those problems. Usually, it's absolutely fine, a wee bit rough around the edges, but so what? They'll sort it out and like Peejay said, I'm not going to have a go at people who are giving up their time to help other fans of the club. As for the "£10" comments - that's less than half what it would cost to go to the game...

Septimus
19-08-2013, 05:18 AM
First let me say that I am in no way knocking the efforts of the people who provide the service. I like to look at Easter Road even when it is empty,

There is little doubt however that although the cost has increased from six to ten pounds the service is not nearly as good as it once was, From the early days when it was a friendly, almost personal service (where are you Stuart?) we have seen a steady progress but this now seems to have been lost. Although technology has advanced things have got worse

Again I say I am grateful for what we do get but if people do not consider that the service is worth watching it will not improve.

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2013, 09:28 AM
When there was the clamour to bring this service back, there was talk of those who wanted it clubbing together for a new improved camera, did this happen?

When i was abroad, the service was a godsend, and very very appreciated.

hibbybrian
19-08-2013, 12:13 PM
When there was the clamour to bring this service back, there was talk of those who wanted it clubbing together for a new improved camera, did this happen? it was not needed as a sponsor provided an HD camera (possibly Kevin Harpers group)

When i was abroad, the service was a godsend, and very very appreciated.

This weeks picture was pretty poor but still much appreciated everywhere I'm sure