PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

CallumLaidlaw
17-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Ex player thread I know. But just been watching him on MOTD, as well as the Scotland game. He's doing very well. Was obviously raw at us, and was a bit like spoony in that we didn't quite know his best position. Good to see bother ex player playing solidly in England's top league tho

LancashireHibby
17-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Never a left back, but he got a good run of luck today, fair play to him for taking advantage of it. Always feel that ex players doing well is something that reflects well on the club.

McSwanky
17-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Wasn't he playing right back?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-08-2013, 11:49 PM
What I'd give to have Stevie and David Murphy as full backs again :-(

Onceinawhile
17-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Great no look outside of the boot cross for the equaliser.

Nicely disguised as a sclaffed shot.

CallumLaidlaw
17-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Wasn't he playing right back?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah but was played as a left
Back against England.

Blocks Biloxi
18-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah he's doing really well now - great to see. A proper modern full-back. He deserved a bit of luck with his goal today!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-08-2013, 02:55 AM
What I'd give to have Stevie and David Murphy as full backs again :-(

This.

IWasThere2016
18-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Good player! Hear, hear re him and Murph too - class pairing :agree:

MichelleHibs
18-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Funny, I said to my sister yesterday what is give to have him back at er, even though we didn't fully appreciate him at the time!

PeterboroHibee
18-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Always liked Whittaker, good attacking full back. Never saw him getting to the Premiership tbh but fair play to him.

He was stinking the other night against England though, got done fairly easily by Walcott in the box, and then came off his line for one of the other goals.

eastterrace
18-08-2013, 08:03 AM
he was fantastic with us, both full backs bombing forward (murphy) , you were up out your seats every few minutes , now its about 3 times a game so boring to watch.

clerriehibs
18-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Funny, I said to my sister yesterday what is give to have him back at er, even though we didn't fully appreciate him at the time!

Speak for yourself!

Scottie
18-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Always liked Whittaker, good attacking full back. Never saw him getting to the Premiership tbh but fair play to him.

He was stinking the other night against England though, got done fairly easily by Walcott in the box, and then came off his line for one of the other goals.

100% correct.

Out of his depth at Wembley and got found out every time they went forward.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Much better player in midfield, much the same as McGivern.

hibsbollah
18-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Theres no use pretending he was the same player then as he is now. He was often weak defensively, and didnt have the shot on him or a final ball that justified his rampaging runs upfield. A very good player by our current standards though, and seemed to be a good pro, didnt diss the club when he left and obviously worked hard on his game.

If you'd have told me then that Whitty, not Murphy, would be playing at the top level in England in 6 years I wouldnt have believed it.

Unseen work
18-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Much better player in midfield, much the same as McGivern.

How can you possibly say that when both have made a career out of being a full back and rarely played in midfield?

clerriehibs
18-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Theres no use pretending he was the same player then as he is now. He was often weak defensively, and didnt have the shot on him or a final ball that justified his rampaging runs upfield. A very good player by our current standards though, and seemed to be a good pro, didnt diss the club when he left and obviously worked hard on his game.

If you'd have told me then that Whitty, not Murphy, would be playing at the top level in England in 6 years I wouldnt have believed it.

For all his composure, skill and football intelligence, I think most realized Murphy's main problem was he didn't have much in the way of pace.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-08-2013, 09:04 AM
They are both much better going forward than defending, but, sorry I'll delete my post if you want.

hibsbollah
18-08-2013, 09:09 AM
For all his composure, skill and football intelligence, I think most realized Murphy's main problem was he didn't have much in the way of pace.

True, although he had such a good understanding of the game he didnt always need it. And a first touch of pure gold :applause:
I see he's had a bad cruciate injury as well as a broken kneecap since he's been down there.