PDA

View Full Version : Goals throughout the team

Unseen work
17-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Was just thinking, does anyone else think having brilliant strikers last 6 years or so made us a weaker team now? For me we have became so relliant on either griffiths, riordan, stokes etc etc being able to bail us out it's now made us a weaker team as we don't have (right now, I think Collins will) have a constant goal scorer. And have kind of took the pressure off the midfielders to really join in with foward play and goals? Although saying that I can see Robertson Craig and Harris getting a few!

Reason am saying this as was lookin back at players like Luna, paatelinen etc and they never scored 25 odd goals a season but they had players around them such as zitelli latapy sauzee who could all chip in with goals and make us look a more constant threat. Now we hound all the pressure on the one player and if he's not playing we don't look like scoring. Back then for example if paatelinen was out we would still have the above mentioned players creating and able to score.

rcarter1
17-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Was just thinking, does anyone else think having brilliant strikers last 6 years or so made us a weaker team now? For me we have became so relliant on either griffiths, riordan, stokes etc etc being able to bail us out it's now made us a weaker team as we don't have (right now, I think Collins will) have a constant goal scorer. And have kind of took the pressure off the midfielders to really join in with foward play and goals? Although saying that I can see Robertson Craig and Harris getting a few!

Reason am saying this as was lookin back at players like Luna, paatelinen etc and they never scored 25 odd goals a season but they had players around them such as zitelli latapy sauzee who could all chip in with goals and make us look a more constant threat. Now we hound all the pressure on the one player and if he's not playing we don't look like scoring. Back then for example if paatelinen was out we would still have the above mentioned players creating and able to score.

I think there is a lot to be said for this argument. We will need to work hard to reestablish a system wherby the goals get spread around the team.

Jonnyboy
17-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Part of our problem, or should that be one of our many problems is that all the goals went out of the team when Leigh returned to Wolves, Doyle left for Chesterfield and Spoony went to Perth. PF could do nothing about Leigh's departure but to allow the other two to leave without bringing in better replacements is a sin. I expect I'll get the usual Doyle/Spoony weren't good enough responses and you know what, those responses might be right but it doesn't remove the fact that goals have not yet arrived from the replacements and frankly look as though they might take a while to do so. It's already arguable as to whether the new guys are better than the old. Surely that's the managers job to bring in better?

Rant over :greengrin

Hibercelona
17-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Thats because these days, players don't appear to be playing for one another. There's a sense of individualism about the way we've played over the last several years.

When you went to watch Hibs in the late 90's to early millenium, the players were like family to one another. They played for one another and backed each other up. When ever the strikers were struggling for goals, the midfield players would bust a gut to help them out. Whenever the defence were struggling, the midfielders would back them up and bail them out. Whenever the midfielders were struggling for possession, defenders would flood into the midfield and make sure Hibs won possession back.

When you see a player struggle in a Hibs strip now, it's like they're on their own. Nobody is there to back them up. It's as if the Hibs player who is in possession of the ball is taking on an entire team of opposition players.

Eyrie
18-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Collins is a goal scorer and based on their performances elsewhere it's reasonable to expect Vine, Craig and Robertson to chip in with a few. We could do with more help from midfield but McCourt was the first wide player that we were seriously linked with all summer, which isn't good enough.